Options

[Xenoblade Chronicles] Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition coming to Switch in 2020

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »
    What is it with Xenoblade and small baby-voices?

It's an anime thing

That voice is grating even by anime standards.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Given the designs and dialogue that’s been shown so far, I’m not as excited as I was originally. That said, I’m hoping for at least one patented WTF? Xeno twist that makes it all worthwhile.

I am disappointed that the visual style that was essentially present from Xenosaga to XCX (with tweaks, of course) has seemingly been abandoned.

• Options
    Skells remain one of the best bits of design in any game I've played. I love the aesthetic of them to death.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    I don't think anyone's really as bothered by these things as we assume they are. Play your game, man. :P

The main gameplay camera perspective doesn't look like it'll really draw attention to these things anyway.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    plufim wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »
    What is it with Xenoblade and small baby-voices?

It's an anime thing

That voice is grating even by anime standards.

Yeah, even anime producers are typically competent enough to select voice actors that sound like they would fit the design of the character.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

Hopefully it won't be too long; I gotta leave for work 25 minutes after it starts at the very latest.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    that graphic doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Between them, they have an entire outfit.

• Options
    Maz- wrote: »

Hopefully it won't be too long; I gotta leave for work 25 minutes after it starts at the very latest.

Welp, turns out it's 28 minutes long.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    that graphic doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence

Gotta love dat boobs out to maximum effect pose.

• Options
    Wooo, Japanese voices confirmed

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Wooo, Japanese voices confirmed

poor thing he doesn't know

no one say anything don't crush his spirit

• Options
    Huh, looks like the Japanese version of the Direct is much longer. Guess I'll catch up on that after work.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Oi'm really feelin' it.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Watching that presentation, I think one of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 biggest hurdles is still the fact that it's not Xenoblade Chronicles X 2. For me, anyway.

Also, I'm still not entirely sure what the story hook is supposed to be here. In XC, robots from the Robot Titan are trying to kill everyone and it's up to you to stop 'em. In XCX, one of the last remnants of humanity crash-lands on an alien planet and needs to find some way to survive. Maybe not the most exciting story premises, but they're at least easy to go with.

In XC 2, a girl who is a weapon wants to go to Paradise and others don't want her to for some reason. I think I need a little more there before I can buy in, you know.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Those seemed like sort of annoying spoilers. Why show that stuff here?

Also the customization on Poppi makes me sad. It looks really cool but she's locked to a character I don't intend to use. Really odd choice there to put all of that stuff on a Blade that can only be used with one Driver.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    That season pass really could have done with more info. At least tell me if there'll be a new titan.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Actually, that seems more detailed than what we usually get.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Oh, that was a name. I thought "I am light" was just a boast.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Oh boy that Zelda cross promotion.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Oh boy that Zelda cross promotion.

I could see the horror in Link's eyes.

"Please just kill me now"

• Options
    Still not that exciting. Points for Umino-glasses, though.

"Launch Mega Explosion" felt like a spanish voiceover.

Link in weird coverall-chaps is acceptable.

• Options
    It's weird that visual customization seems to be blade-only. I wonder if it's due to some sort of limitation (real, or mandated by Nintendo) of the size of the game.

The battle stuff looks pretty good... definitely looks like a Xenoblade game, with onion-like layers of things to consider in real time. But I can't tell if the story is going to be serious, or more lighthearted. I mean, people being forced out of paradise, and now living in a dying, shrinking world sounds like a Xeno game to me, but then the character designs and some of the dialogue is just so cheesy.

• Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    It's weird that visual customization seems to be blade-only. I wonder if it's due to some sort of limitation (real, or mandated by Nintendo) of the size of the game.

The battle stuff looks pretty good... definitely looks like a Xenoblade game, with onion-like layers of things to consider in real time. But I can't tell if the story is going to be serious, or more lighthearted. I mean, people being forced out of paradise, and now living in a dying, shrinking world sounds like a Xeno game to me, but then the character designs and some of the dialogue is just so cheesy.

Did they show visual customization for the blades outside of the one special one?

I'm hoping at least all the story ones get some mode of specialization but the thing they showed(so far) was unique to the Blade that only the Noppon can use. Which means I sadly will never even touch and of it.

• Options
    edited November 2017

Did they show visual customization for the blades outside of the one special one?

I'm hoping at least all the story ones get some mode of specialization but the thing they showed(so far) was unique to the Blade that only the Noppon can use. Which means I sadly will never even touch and of it.

Hmm... now that I think about it, they showed the Noppon's shield changing in reaction to his blade increasing in power/abilities. So, maybe the looks of each weapon changes, but their (the driver's) clothing stays the same? Because the Direct only mentioned buying accessories for drivers, not armor or other equipment.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular

Hmm... now that I think about it, they showed the Noppon's shield changing in reaction to his blade increasing in power/abilities. So, maybe the looks of each weapon changes, but their (the driver's) clothing stays the same? Because the Direct only mentioned buying accessories for drivers, not armor or other equipment.

The trailer mentioned that weapons change as they advanced, I'm pretty sure the shield was an example and that all weapons in general have a progression of looks.

Also re: story, in the trailer at the beginning of the direct: (spoilered because I know some people like to go in blind)
    Considering it seems like the game actually begins with the main character being killed I don't get the feeling it's going to be too lighthearted. Probably similar to XC in that generally the characters themselves are fairly lighthearted but the overall story is still pretty serious, or at least that's the vibe I'm feeling so far.

• Options
    Reyn was always solemn.

• Options
    Kyanilis wrote: »

The trailer mentioned that weapons change as they advanced, I'm pretty sure the shield was an example and that all weapons in general have a progression of looks.

Also re: story, in the trailer at the beginning of the direct: (spoilered because I know some people like to go in blind)
    Considering it seems like the game actually begins with the main character being killed I don't get the feeling it's going to be too lighthearted. Probably similar to XC in that generally the characters themselves are fairly lighthearted but the overall story is still pretty serious, or at least that's the vibe I'm feeling so far.

Oh I missed that part! So as you strengthen blades the weapon actually changes in appearance? Ok that is actually REALLY good news if so. So I can focus on a weapon I like and still have visual progression.

• Options
    Well at least there’s a gameplay reason for no armor changes. Then again let’s be honest. Everyone used bathing suit Shulk.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Well at least there’s a gameplay reason for no armor changes. Then again let’s be honest. Everyone used bathing suit Shulk.

That's my Smash main.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    I used Undies Dunban a lot.

What can I say: dude has skills that give him buffs for being naked.

• Options
    I really like the tombstone thing for unique monsters. It gives a nice sense of progression and accomplishment while at the same time making it easier to fight them again, assuming some of them will only spawn under certain conditions like in the other games.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I doubt I'm going to be able to get this game at launch, so I figure in lieu of that I should sit down and get through X. I'm not sure where I petered out. I think I was just on the cusp of getting the flight module.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I still need to grind out levels and money to get past the second phase of the lion men boss. I've said that before, I know. It just killed my momentum at the time.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Enlong wrote: »
    I still need to grind out levels and money to get past the second phase of the lion men boss. I've said that before, I know. It just killed my momentum at the time.

It's a damned hard fight to begin with, so...

I wish XCX was less obtuse and all on systems, there's too many moving parts to easily figure out what works and why. Not that I don't love it anyways, but it's in spite of that.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    The last boss fight suuuucks if you are not prepared.

• Options
    The last boss fight suuuucks if you are not prepared.

Uh.... understatement much?

Also, there's a serious design flaw with it.
    Oops, fuel doesn't refill when loading from checkpoint, so have fun being forced to do it all on foot or restart the chapter.

• Options
    Yeah it’s more about knowing before hand what happens during that fight and how you deal with it.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    So that direct was kind of weird. I feel like it was presented much better than slow grandpa dragon long, drawn out thing from the last Direct that I still worry turned people off from the game.

That said, it feels like this Direct didn't cover that much? I'm mostly wondering why it existed (to be honest, kind of sick of Nintendo continuing to spoil a lot of their games so much before release too - the bit about Rex getting stabbed was unnecessary to spoil...). It was like, announcement of the Japanese voice option, a brief story thing, an unnecessary explaination of how blades and combos work, and then the DLC season pass and Zelda DLC thing. Like, I feel like they could have released the story trailer stand alone and just announced the other stuff? I dunno, it was weird :P I guess the point is to get people hyped up for the game a few weeks before release, but I dunno.

It's weird that I feel less hyped for this one. But I think I kind of felt that way about XCX too and I still loved the hell out of that game. And Monolith has an amazing track record so I'm not gonna let Nintendo's lame marketing get me down :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    The Direct was better than the last one, and I'm really excited and nothing can mess that up. I actually like the designs of the various characters, although yes, Rex's outfit is dumb looking. I'm sure it'll grow on me. The only major downer is that there are no clothing changes any longer when you change armor. I'll miss that. Speedo Dunban and H.B. will be missed. This game will rule my life for a long time if the previous games are any indicator.

I trust the dev team based on my adoration for the first two games in the Xenoblade franchise.

As for the interesting voice that was talked about earlier. That character is played by Miki Takahashi, who is 56 and has quite a history of voice acting in anime. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miki_Takahashi

CGIRanger over at Resetera has a thread where he compiled an extensive list of all of the known rare Blades, their voice actors and designers. It's worth a look, to be honest.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/xenoblade-chronicles-2-the-rare-blade-compilation-op-to-be-continuously-updated.3884/

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!