Options

[Xenoblade Chronicles] Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition coming to Switch in 2020

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Are the rare blades to have any story stuff going on?

Person made of paper with book "gloves" is quite the interesting concept.

Enlong on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    The Direct was better than the last one, and I'm really excited and nothing can mess that up. I actually like the designs of the various characters, although yes, Rex's outfit is dumb looking. I'm sure it'll grow on me. The only major downer is that there are no clothing changes any longer when you change armor. I'll miss that. Speedo Dunban and H.B. will be missed. This game will rule my life for a long time if the previous games are any indicator.

I trust the dev team based on my adoration for the first two games in the Xenoblade franchise.

As for the interesting voice that was talked about earlier. That character is played by Miki Takahashi, who is 56 and has quite a history of voice acting in anime. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miki_Takahashi

CGIRanger over at Resetera has a thread where he compiled an extensive list of all of the known rare Blades, their voice actors and designers. It's worth a look, to be honest.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/xenoblade-chronicles-2-the-rare-blade-compilation-op-to-be-continuously-updated.3884/

HOW?

Also, my favorite armor is probably the dino armor for Seven. You know what it is if you've seen it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    The digitigrade ones? Yeah, that's neat.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I think the biggest problem with this game is the god-awful narrators they use every time they show it off.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Enlong wrote: »
    The digitigrade ones? Yeah, that's neat.

Yeah. It really plays well into er... what makes said character different. Also just kind of awesome to use that look.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    Yeah.

Man, I really need to get back into my 3DS file of Xenoblade, actually. I'm midway through Mechonis Field, so I'm finally getting to build up Seven again.

• Options
    I have no motivation to hook up the wii for Xenoblade really. The only major objective I had left was the final Colony 6 reconstruction boss. And the only reason I hadn't beaten it is because the thing actually has a fucking reset timer. It couldn't come close to killing me (Shulk's final skill is OP as hell after all), but the level difference meant I had a 60-70% miss rate and thus trash DPS.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Game Informer has a really nice preview of the game up on their website, including an interview with Takahashi:

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/xenoblade_chronicles_2/b/switch/archive/2017/11/07/xenoblade-chronicles-2-hands-on-feature.aspx?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Well at least there’s a gameplay reason for no armor changes. Then again let’s be honest. Everyone used bathing suit Shulk.

What's the gameplay reason?

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Also the GI article explains the Poppi thing further. It sounds very much a Poppi thing only which kinda sucks. She has that stuff IN PLACE of the normal leveling so the other Blades couldn't really have it.

There damn well be other goofy mini-games for me to play with rewards I actually care about. *shakes fist*

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Azami-illustration is neat. Face looks kind of Kazuma Kaneko.

lol, that character we talked about was 100 % directed to sound that way on purpose. The actress is in her fifties.

PLA on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think I'm gonna skip this. I loved the other two but everything about this one looks like shit

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Y'know I could never get in to XC the First and I honestly cannot tell you why. Everything about it on paper is right up my alley and yet every time I try to play it I just sort of stop.

And yet XCX I count as one of my most favorite games ever.

Weird.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Still doesn't look worse than Xenoblade X to me.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    I just keep getting turned off by the character designs. I'm not going to pretend that armour design was a strong point in XC1 (see all of Sharla's costumes, the Speed frame for Seven, and Reyn's heavy armour), but the default (and ubchangeable?) designs in XC2 make it seem to me like that part of the design philosophy has gotten worse than it's ever been, and after I thought that XCX's options were a step in the right direction.

Maybe I'm letting that influence my decision too heavily, but it's just been a major stumbling block between me and getting interested at all in this.

Also, I don't think I care about the Blade lottery thing at all.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Yeah, I think I'm gonna skip this. I loved the other two but everything about this one looks like shit

I can totally understand that .

Especially when you think about the randomized aspect of the Blades. I hate lotto stuff normally but what I worry about here is that there's a real possibility of rolling nothing but tiddy waifus for your Blades for an extended period of time. It's not even like you can just choose to ignore those characters because you don't get to pick which ones you obtain.

I'm not one who gets super bothered by that stuff but even for me that's going to be a bit annoying. I'd normally just ignore a character I don't like and move on but that relies on luck here. And if you are someone who tries to avoid that sort of thing this seems like a real easy pass because you have no idea if you're about to be bombarded by the waifu lottery or not.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I seriously don't get the complaints about what gameplay/systems look like for Chronicles 2.

I mean, I get "I didn't really care for the first two, so I'll be skipping this too", because...well...duh? There's no real reason to look into a game that shares a lot of the same elements with games you didn't like in the first place. I don't, however, understand what the point of bringing it up is. Do people want to be convinced? Have an argument? I haven't liked a Battlefield game since 1942, but I don't feel like it would be very productive to drop into the Battlefield thread when there is a new release and point it out.

Otherwise, the gameplay looks similar enough to the first two, with some changes to make it its own game, that the amount of surprise it seems to causing people feels baffling to me. Purely on the merits of gameplay, I don't see anything that indicates it will play any better or worse than the previous two games; both of which, lets be honest, shown in video, or trying to explain to someone else, would appear miserable.

And "looks like shit"? Give me a break. Don't want to play it? Fine. Looks like shit? You're a liar.

If someone doesn't like the visual design, specifically of the females, more specifically of the main blade character, then fine. There is certainly valid concerns to take there, and debate to have over it; and even the idea of having an (apparently) subservient female, and to have her be represented visually how she is. But. I mean. A lot of the armor for females in Chronicles were basically competing to see just how much boobs can hang out without just straight up being naked. Is the real issue that the new character has larger breasts? Because, objectively, they're not showing any more flesh than there was in the first game. And, mind you, from a game creator who brought us some of fan wankiest of female designs in the Xenosaga games, culminating with KOS-MOS all but flashing her tits as an ultimate attack. If it puts you off enough to not want to play the game, again, fine. But don't try to use the previous games or character designs as some comparison that it has gone downhill or has somehow just went full on fan service. You're over a decade too late for that.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited November 2017
    I seriously don't get the complaints about what gameplay/systems look like for Chronicles 2.

I mean, I get "I didn't really care for the first two, so I'll be skipping this too", because...well...duh? There's no real reason to look into a game that shares a lot of the same elements with games you didn't like in the first place. I don't, however, understand what the point of bringing it up is. Do people want to be convinced? Have an argument? I haven't liked a Battlefield game since 1942, but I don't feel like it would be very productive to drop into the Battlefield thread when there is a new release and point it out.

Otherwise, the gameplay looks similar enough to the first two, with some changes to make it its own game, that the amount of surprise it seems to causing people feels baffling to me. Purely on the merits of gameplay, I don't see anything that indicates it will play any better or worse than the previous two games; both of which, lets be honest, shown in video, or trying to explain to someone else, would appear miserable.

And "looks like shit"? Give me a break. Don't want to play it? Fine. Looks like shit? You're a liar.

If someone doesn't like the visual design, specifically of the females, more specifically of the main blade character, then fine. There is certainly valid concerns to take there, and debate to have over it; and even the idea of having an (apparently) subservient female, and to have her be represented visually how she is. But. I mean. A lot of the armor for females in Chronicles were basically competing to see just how much boobs can hang out without just straight up being naked. Is the real issue that the new character has larger breasts? Because, objectively, they're not showing any more flesh than there was in the first game. And, mind you, from a game creator who brought us some of fan wankiest of female designs in the Xenosaga games, culminating with KOS-MOS all but flashing her tits as an ultimate attack. If it puts you off enough to not want to play the game, again, fine. But don't try to use the previous games or character designs as some comparison that it has gone downhill or has somehow just went full on fan service. You're over a decade too late for that.

I mean I'll respond from my side and a very common side.

The character design is very different from the other games. To the point the creator himself very specifically notes that he went for a very different style. That style happens to be one that has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Most specifically when it comes to main character (who looks like a complete fucking moron. I think that design is truly fucking awful) and his Blade. He look looks like he's supposed to be like 14 which makes it confusing how old a person his semi love interest sword waifu is supposed to be representing considering how sexualized she is.

And the as for all the blades we've seen there have been sooo many waifu blades with some truly absurdly awful jiggle physics.

That's not to say the other games didn't have their fair share. But this game has a very different style. It is literally intended to have a completely different style so it shouldn't be that bizarre that fans of the other games might not like some of those differences.

I haven't seen too many complaints about the actual battle system so I'm not sure what that's in reference to. Concerns about the randomization of the blades as system, lack of armor customization, how the blade system affects various systems sure. But at least I don't recall anything about the combat here.

Oh important edit note: the fact that the other games had changeable outfits makes a big difference too. The existence of skimpy attire isn't always the issue. You had a choice. Here there is no choice. That is what you have to look at. And as said above with the Blades the ones you get are random and have set appearances. So even there it is a noticeable difference.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    The character design is very different from the other games. To the point the creator himself very specifically notes that he went for a very different style. That style happens to be one that has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Most specifically when it comes to main character (who looks like a complete fucking moron. I think that design is truly fucking awful) and his Blade. He look looks like he's supposed to be like 14 which makes it confusing how old a person his semi love interest sword waifu is supposed to be representing considering how sexualized she is.

Also the fact that the character designs are sometimes so dissonant between the characters thanks to mashing Saito and Nomura against eachother that you look at one and then you look at another and wonder whether they're not actually from two different anime.

Like, you've got super animu boytagonist over here

and then you've got Fire Emblem reject over here

And they think this is okay!

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I haven't finished any of the Xenoblade games.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    What bugs me about Pyra's design when compared to XC1 outfits is that it's the default, when the dumb-looking outfits in XC1 were not.

Like, for all the ugly chunky armor and boob windows and other such sartorial disasters in XC1, and the option to give every single party member invisible armour, their initial designs look normal, and that informs scene composition and camera work and stuff. If a character is in a dramatic scene in a bikini, or there's a bit where the camera keeps focusing on a glowing gemstone in their chest while you're wearing a revealing armour, or what have you, it comes across less as the creators trying to sex up a scene, and more of you making the game inintentionally funny by using an outfit the scene wasn't written for. In contrast, the dumber outfits in XC2 are indeed the default, and it really does seem like they were aiming to make some characters look sexed-up from the outset (the rare Blade who fights with giant floating arms comes to mind, as does that cover art for the Direct).

Like, in truth, the worst outfits in XC2 are only about as bad as the worst outfits in XC1; my problem is that they can't be ignored this time around, and it suggests a design philosophy and goal that is increasingly not what I want.

Enlong on
  • Options
    You can still get the special edition at GameStop.

• Options
    The blade people aspect of this is kinda creepy.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

You really need to get the fuck over yourself.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Well, at least it is not Ar tonelico level of creepy. ;)

Krathoon on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I'm a huge Xeno-series fan, and even I think that a lot of the designs are cringe inducing. I'm hoping that the disparity of the designs, due to guest designers, can be explained away with something along the lines of "People living on this titan dress/look like this, while people living on that other titan dress/look like that."

Given the limited look we've had, character designs are definitely the weakest part of it for me. The various systems and environments look more or less like what I'd expect from a Xenoblade game, which makes me excited still.

• Options
    You have a Titan mentor. That is neat.

• Options
    The blades being cobbled together by dumb gunpla-nerds explains them not fitting together, but I guess that doesn't work for hoomaans.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Never happen (and probably shouldn't), but I'd like to see a game subvert the issue by having a completely naked female character who moves like the males do, i.e. telegraphing power instead of sex. (And no jello boobs, obviously.)

• Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Rex's pants remind me of KH1 Riku's pants. Turned up to 11.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Well, at least it is not Ar tonelico level of creepy. ;)

I bought that fucking game for $60 and couldn't even make it an hour in.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I actually preferred Grandpa Dragon over random Nintendo marketing staff. But that video was more lore-focused, whereas this one was more mechanical, so maybe it's appropriate that the former was narrated by an in-game character and the latter wasn't.

Also, I like the mixed art-direction in a Who Framed Roger Rabbit sort of way. "I swore I'd never go back to Animetown."

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I'm a huge Xeno-series fan, and even I think that a lot of the designs are cringe inducing. I'm hoping that the disparity of the designs, due to guest designers, can be explained away with something along the lines of "People living on this titan dress/look like this, while people living on that other titan dress/look like that."

Given the limited look we've had, character designs are definitely the weakest part of it for me. The various systems and environments look more or less like what I'd expect from a Xenoblade game, which makes me excited still.

I'm not particularly worried. Mario and Legend of Zelda games have been doing the same thing for years and it's generally worked out well.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I think, at least in my opinion, the worst part of this is that Rex looks so out of place compared to everyone else. Like, yeah everything is super anime but then he's like another type of anime entirely? He just looks out of place and that feels real weird.

I won't get too much into the female armor designs. They're all generally pretty shitty from what I've seen. I get the complaints, you're just kinda stuck staring at the single design they give you if you end up wanting to use that character. It's a departure from other games which yes, did also have shitty designs but at least you had options.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm definitely all in on this game so those things clearly don't bug me as much as others, but I get that other people draw lines at different places.

Also I don't mind the lottery thing because generally I have super good luck in games. I doubt it'll be so bad that you'll never find certain rare blades or anything, you just will get them in different orders. I mean, we'll see what happens when the game comes out but until then it's change but no reason to think that it'll make the game a pain to play.

• Options
    What bugs me about the lottery is that it seems likely to me that any Blades that come from it will have to be pretty much non-entities in the story.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    What bugs me about the lottery is that it seems likely to me that any Blades that come from it will have to be pretty much non-entities in the story.

For the main story? Nah, not really. Though I imagine not every rare blade comes from the lottery. They've said rare blades will have side quests to flesh them out though.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I have a feeling that some, if not most rare blades will be gotten through quest. At least I hope so.

Either way, only a month to go! :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Haha oh my god. That latest trailer.

I haven’t been paying that much attention to this game but everyone does just look absolutely horrible.

The sword girls thing is dumb. What the hell happened here?

This is like going from Lords of Shadow 1 to 2 all over again.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    The blade people aspect of this is kinda creepy.

I mean, people as weapons can be done right. D&D has a long history of powerful wizards who turn themselves (or their souls, anyway) into weapons, and that can be fun.

But this is more on the creep factor side. :(

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter