Options

[Xenoblade Chronicles] Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition coming to Switch in 2020

134689102

Posts

  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Not retracting my issues with the game, or disputing that the idea has problems, but the blades are not only girls. There's sword girls, sword guys, sword tigers, and the like.

  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    They should have just stuck to animals then.

  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    How to fix it:
    1) Lore: Most blades are sleepy and can't take living form. So all common blades are just weapons with abilities.
    2) Rare blades can be either humanoid wielding their weapon form or their weapon form, so they can be equipped or set as party members.

    I kind of get some of the pair up stuff, but it's... bleh. It doesn't work unless it can completely switch around. Like, have Rex wield on blade with Pyra buffing, then they can tag off so Pyra is attacking while Rex is channeling support.

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    At least it's not scam-gacha.

  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Will wait for reviews before passing judgement. They have a good track record so far.

    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Thinking/throwing shit against the wall about the blades:
    Okay, so, Elysium was/is paradise. Something happened, and humans were driven out of Elysium.

    Pyra claims she's from there, and strikes a bargain with Rex to deliver her back there.

    According to the article linked to a page or so ago, Pyra is (or is believed to be) the Aegis, a weapon of immense power. Now, some definitions of aegis include:

    Controlling or conditioning influence
    Control or guidance, especially by an individual, group, or system

    Her chest has a glowing green Zohar-like symbol, and her actual blade form looks a lot like Shulk's Monado.

    So, I'm guessing she fills the same kind of role... Being an interface to some kind of reality altering power. Aegis' most common definitions deal with protection, so, maybe she was part of the system that kept Elysium running? Or a failsafe?

    With that, I wonder if the other blade characters are like Anima relics, with the generic ones simply being artificial units that can tap into that power... Or something along those lines.

    In the article, Takahashi did hint that there could be XG references.

    Anyway, I'm just theory crafting based on what little available information we have. I'm probably way off base.

  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Cannot wait for this game. It’s pribably going to take up my entire December.

    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Viskod wrote: »
    They should have just stuck to animals then.

    Animals only might have invited comparisons to Pokémon.

    I think this game is aiming for more of a Shin Megami Tensei audience.

    Ivan Hunger on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    It does appear like the idea of some people treating Blades like tools instead of people is a conflict in the story itself, so hopefully the story doesn't trip too hard on that particular pitfall. Says the guy who's been tearing down his hopes for the game fore the last month or two. I must look like a hypcrite with this.

  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    It does appear like the idea of some people treating Blades like tools instead of people is a conflict in the story itself, so hopefully the story doesn't trip too hard on that particular pitfall. Says the guy who's been tearing down his hopes for the game fore the last month or two. I must look like a hypcrite with this.

    They'll pull a Pokemon and broach the issue all of once and then conclude that they actually totally like it so it's okay. :so_raven:

  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    It does appear like the idea of some people treating Blades like tools instead of people is a conflict in the story itself, so hopefully the story doesn't trip too hard on that particular pitfall. Says the guy who's been tearing down his hopes for the game fore the last month or two. I must look like a hypcrite with this.

    They'll pull a Pokemon and broach the issue all of once and then conclude that they actually totally like it so it's okay. :so_raven:

    Possible. Though, I think that "Main Character Is Angry At You For Doing This" speeches tend to mandate that the conflict be a major theme. Shrug.

  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I have a feeling that some, if not most rare blades will be gotten through quest. At least I hope so.

    Either way, only a month to go! :D

    Definitely not most. They are rare because they are more rare *from the the lottery*

    They've made it very clear that's where those are coming from when they've gone over the system. Rare is just one step up from Common. The whole lottery system would be pretty pointless if you didn't need to use it to get the good ones. They even explained they want people to have to use the Blades they wouldn't normally want use but got stuck with through the lotto. Part of the purpose is to force people to try different things and maybe end up liking things they didn't expect.

    There may be a few of the extra special ones like the single story Blade that each member gets but the point of the whole system is that commons and the rare blades come from the lottery.

    DemonStacey on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    That Uka-animation is godawful.

  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    You are going to take your blade and drive it into things. :P

  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    No clothing or costume changes confirmed on a gamexplain treehouse.

  • Options
    dalith14dalith14 Registered User regular
    BODY IS READY!!!!!!!!!! SOOOOOO SOOOOOOONNNN 3 weeks people!!!!

  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    No clothing or costume changes confirmed on a gamexplain treehouse.

    Bleh.

  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    About near 20 min of gameplay if anyone is interested.

    https://youtu.be/dW_REqB8vbc

    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    No clothing or costume changes confirmed on a gamexplain treehouse.

    Good. I want an unfiltered Japanesey experience, but in English.

    Japanese voices annoy me. Too dramatic.

  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    No clothing or costume changes confirmed on a gamexplain treehouse.

    Good. I want an unfiltered Japanesey experience, but in English.

    Japanese voices annoy me. Too dramatic.

    Kinda a weird thing to say "good" to like that. Done as an optional thing like in the last game it would affect you personally not at all but allow others to have a thing that matters to them. How is taking something away from others that wouldn't affect you a good thing?

  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    A bit disappointing, but I can live with it. Seeing your gear reflected on your characters at all times was nice, but it's not like it was the best or most important feature of all time. Plus, you still get a sense of visual progression with the Blades.

    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    I must admit I am disapointed. I enjoyed the dress up parts of xenoblade and especially X (with my X character basically being she hulk in jeans, a white tank top and heart shaped sunglasses, appropriately named Shulk). I wasn't expecting a huge range of options like in X, but at least 3 or 4 types of armour for each, with recolours.

    Ah well. The world design and music is there so I am still in.

    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EriosErios Registered User regular
    No Brits? The localization in XC1 made the experience much better IMO. In no small part because the actors they picked made the dialogue not sound like awkward anime wordsalad.

    I'm not really feeling it.

    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Erios wrote: »
    No Brits? The localization in XC1 made the experience much better IMO. In no small part because the actors they picked made the dialogue not sound like awkward anime wordsalad.

    I'm not really feeling it.

    I wonder if the uncertainty of the Switch’s launch constricted their budget? Or, maybe it had to do with the VA strike that just ended?

  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Just watched the GameXplain video - yep, this game is looking pretty good alright. And the music is just fantastic.

    Oh, and here are some Japanese TV ads for the game:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRBrvXiMBQg

    Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Ok Rex's dumb outfit just got an extra layer of comically dumb.

    So it's supposed to be his diving uniform. But when he actually dives he magically grows real pants.

    It's ok... sexy eye-patch man is still cool.

  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Where is diving?

  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    PLA wrote: »
    Where is diving?

    33:38 you can see it.

    One thing I'm happy about is that they aren't doing the open world thing with this one. I know that's a thing a lot of people enjoyed about X but just a personal preference thing for me is more defined zones/maps in a jrpg. Even if they are big ol' zones.

    DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    So is this the kind of RPG with a worthwhile story and characters and whatnot, or the kind where the story is a crappy, flimsy excuse to hang a bunch of number-grinding on?

    I don't want to judge the game harshly just based on the annoying tween belts-and-boobs art style, but that's generally been a pretty good indicator that the story is gonna be rather poo-flavored. But I'm willing to check and see if that's being unfair.

    Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    So is this the kind of RPG with a worthwhile story and characters and whatnot, or the kind where the story is a crappy, flimsy excuse to hang a bunch of number-grinding on?

    I don't want to judge the game harshly just based on the annoying tween belts-and-boobs art style, but that's generally been a pretty good indicator that the story is gonna be rather poo-flavored. But I'm willing to check and see if that's being unfair.

    If it's written by the same people who wrote 1 and X, it should be fine. Assuming it's being written by the same people, which I have no idea about.
    PLA wrote: »
    Where is diving?

    33:38 you can see it.

    One thing I'm happy about is that they aren't doing the open world thing with this one. I know that's a thing a lot of people enjoyed about X but just a personal preference thing for me is more defined zones/maps in a jrpg. Even if they are big ol' zones.

    I'd be perfectly happy with two parallel Xenoblade series, with the X's being open-world.

    jothki on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    edit: Whoops, wrong button

    jothki on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    This is a story focused game like the first Xenoblade.

    I have faith they'll deliver in the story area, because both of the previous games shined in that area. Xenoblade Chronicles had a fantastic story with amazingly deep characters that you liked and rooted for. Melia <3

    Xenoblade X (for all those who didn't like the open aspect of it) also had great story beats, but it was mostly character focused. The main story was basically you crashed on an alien planet, now survive and explore. Basic and got the job done and still hid some legitimate surprises within that basic story. The meat of the story was the stories of the people that were part of New Las Angeles. As you did their affinity missions you learned about what made them tick, their dreams, hopes, and fears. You grew to care, (or in Boze's case) hate the people that they were. That was where the game shined. It was different but just as amazingly handled. It also had L, who was amazing.

    I can't wait to find out about this new world and characters.

    Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    So is this the kind of RPG with a worthwhile story and characters and whatnot, or the kind where the story is a crappy, flimsy excuse to hang a bunch of number-grinding on?

    I don't want to judge the game harshly just based on the annoying tween belts-and-boobs art style, but that's generally been a pretty good indicator that the story is gonna be rather poo-flavored. But I'm willing to check and see if that's being unfair.

    It will certainly be heavy on story. Whether you'd enjoy it probably depends on the style of story you enjoy.

    Do you like japanese game stories/anime-ish stories?

    If so this will probably be a pretty good bet.

    If you don't like that sorta story then this would probably not be a story you'd enjoy.

  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    This makes me happy.
    As the series is known for, Xenoblade 2 has its share of side quests. I saw tons of NPCs with quest markers and notice boards in every town. The basic fetch quests are still there, but the game also has its share that add to the story. You can even unlock some of the rare Blades and learn more about them through side quests. "They're more directly related to their story, and you get to learn about their quirky characteristics [and] their personality traits that they have," Takahashi says. "There's also a lot of subquests that kind of branch off of the main storyline in that there might be a character that only has a small role in the main story, but if you chase that down, you get to learn more about this character and more about who they are."

    http://www.gameinformer.com/games/xenoblade_chronicles_2/b/switch/archive/2017/11/07/xenoblade-chronicles-2-hands-on-feature.aspx?PostPageIndex=3

    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    This makes me happy.
    As the series is known for, Xenoblade 2 has its share of side quests. I saw tons of NPCs with quest markers and notice boards in every town. The basic fetch quests are still there, but the game also has its share that add to the story. You can even unlock some of the rare Blades and learn more about them through side quests. "They're more directly related to their story, and you get to learn about their quirky characteristics [and] their personality traits that they have," Takahashi says. "There's also a lot of subquests that kind of branch off of the main storyline in that there might be a character that only has a small role in the main story, but if you chase that down, you get to learn more about this character and more about who they are."

    http://www.gameinformer.com/games/xenoblade_chronicles_2/b/switch/archive/2017/11/07/xenoblade-chronicles-2-hands-on-feature.aspx?PostPageIndex=3

    I eagerly await a 20 hour story and 120 hours worth of side quests. No joke. A lot of my enjoyment of these kinds of games stem from inhabiting the world and learning about it and its people. Kind of like digital anthropology.

  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    This makes me happy.
    As the series is known for, Xenoblade 2 has its share of side quests. I saw tons of NPCs with quest markers and notice boards in every town. The basic fetch quests are still there, but the game also has its share that add to the story. You can even unlock some of the rare Blades and learn more about them through side quests. "They're more directly related to their story, and you get to learn about their quirky characteristics [and] their personality traits that they have," Takahashi says. "There's also a lot of subquests that kind of branch off of the main storyline in that there might be a character that only has a small role in the main story, but if you chase that down, you get to learn more about this character and more about who they are."

    http://www.gameinformer.com/games/xenoblade_chronicles_2/b/switch/archive/2017/11/07/xenoblade-chronicles-2-hands-on-feature.aspx?PostPageIndex=3

    I eagerly await a 20 hour story and 120 hours worth of side quests. No joke. A lot of my enjoyment of these kinds of games stem from inhabiting the world and learning about it and its people. Kind of like digital anthropology.

    Well, if the first one is any indication, it's more like 60 hour story and 120 hours worth of side quests.

    Here's hoping.

  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    I've heard more of the English voice acting and it's... OK, really.

  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Yeah that Gamexplain video gace me hope. Might just be one or two terrible lines.

    That "assess the situation" line in the previous trailer is amongst the worst delivered lines in videogames.

    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Might just be some rushed takes for the trailer. They should have put a better foot forward, but what they have isn't bad really.

  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    This makes me happy.
    As the series is known for, Xenoblade 2 has its share of side quests. I saw tons of NPCs with quest markers and notice boards in every town. The basic fetch quests are still there, but the game also has its share that add to the story. You can even unlock some of the rare Blades and learn more about them through side quests. "They're more directly related to their story, and you get to learn about their quirky characteristics [and] their personality traits that they have," Takahashi says. "There's also a lot of subquests that kind of branch off of the main storyline in that there might be a character that only has a small role in the main story, but if you chase that down, you get to learn more about this character and more about who they are."

    http://www.gameinformer.com/games/xenoblade_chronicles_2/b/switch/archive/2017/11/07/xenoblade-chronicles-2-hands-on-feature.aspx?PostPageIndex=3

    I eagerly await a 20 hour story and 120 hours worth of side quests. No joke. A lot of my enjoyment of these kinds of games stem from inhabiting the world and learning about it and its people. Kind of like digital anthropology.

    This will be a much longer main story than that. It's more akin to Xenoblade 1 than X.

Sign In or Register to comment.