Options

[Xenoblade Chronicles] Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition coming to Switch in 2020

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    So I decided to do another playthrough of Xenoblade Chronicles on account of the fact that I never actually finished it. I had made it pretty far but for some reason never made it through the final push. I started last week after the direct thinking it was insane but it turns out if you ignore pretty much all the side stuff and also any other real life commitments you might have it's not so bad.

I'm probably like 70% through now? Should have it done by the weekend. I forgot just how great this game is.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I guess that is a commercial.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I'll say as much as chunks of the game turn me off I am excited to play an RPG with piles of systems and numbers to get lost in.

Although I will be salty af if I roll nothing but anime titty girls and/or other dumb looking blades.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Those are some pretty great production values for a commercial about this type of game.

Normally an ad for a niche game like this would only have music, clips, and voiceovers from the game itself. Something anyone with a little skill at video editing could throw together. But this has live action segments and special effects and everything!

I guess Nintendo's marketing department is not fucking around this Christmas. They're pushing every game they have.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Nintendo's marketing in general has been doing the opposite of fucking up when it comes to the Switch.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »
    Nintendo's marketing in general has been doing the opposite of fucking up when it comes to the Switch.

Fucking down?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    edzepp wrote: »

Fucking down?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYBIRHi5-o8

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I'll say as much as chunks of the game turn me off I am excited to play an RPG with piles of systems and numbers to get lost in.

Although I will be salty af if I roll nothing but anime titty girls and/or other dumb looking blades.

It would be funny if there was an option to turn that on.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

It would be funny if there was an option to turn that on.

Turn what on?

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Previews for the game are starting to pop up; here's one from RPG Site:

https://www.rpgsite.net/preview/6338-xenoblade-chronicles-2-hands-on-preview-the-first-30-hours

and one from Chuggaaconroy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n2z9bflvG0

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Alright the gameplay stuff is sounding pretty cool...

And the class system sounds like a fun thing to play around with...

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Those are some pretty great production values for a commercial about this type of game.

Normally an ad for a niche game like this would only have music, clips, and voiceovers from the game itself. Something anyone with a little skill at video editing could throw together. But this has live action segments and special effects and everything!

I guess Nintendo's marketing department is not fucking around this Christmas. They're pushing every game they have.

Except Fire Emblem Warriors.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

Except Fire Emblem Warriors.

They took the FEW commercial and turned it into the XC2 commercial:

https://youtu.be/YC44mYycWQc

• Options
    The previews seem to at least answer "In the first 25 hours or so, is the game living up to its name?"

The answer:
    Yes.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    This game is somehow really close and impossibly far away at the same time. These previews are getting me hype and I want it now.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Random note: I am v happy with the release date for this. There is nothing coming out after this that I am interested in until over a month later. Plenty of time to just play a jrpg and have nothing else on my mind.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    There's someone with a review copy doing an AMA: https://www.reddit.com/r/Xenoblade_Chronicles/comments/7d5su6/i_got_a_review_copy_of_xenoblade_chronicles_2_i/

They're holding to the embargo but answering general questions, some neat info. Apparently they're ~30 hours in and it sounds like they're not even halfway in to the story so we're looking at another lengthy one.

The hype is real.

Also I guess undocked the resolution drops pretty significantly and they've mentioned that it doesn't look very good that way. Luckily I'll be playing docked for the most part but still kind of disappointing.

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Sounds like it might end up being the best Xenoblade yet even though you can't play dress-up with your party and it looks more anime-y than some might be comfortable with. That's a shame. People skipped Wind Waker too because they were too embarrassed to play it.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Something will always drop, because the way around that is convincing devs to just not use the dock's resources when docked.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Another reaction

Only 3 hours in, but apparently the story has twists already.

Some OST rips are out and about, BTW.

edzepp on
  • Options
    A concern I just had: If abilities are tied to blades and they have set abilities based on the weapon/driver combo and don't seem to learn more actual attacks... Doesn't that mean you will spend much of the game using the same attacks? If so that would be pretty disappointing.

Was a problem with X where once you learned your combo there was no real reason to get any new skills(and even if you did they weren't actually new it was just adding other skills you've seen from other classes). Seems like it could be similar here where once you get the weapons you want the attacks will always be the same. That would make visual progression even lower than it already is with dropping the visual armor.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    People skipped Wind Waker too because they were too embarrassed to play it.

I have never heard of anyone that did that and if they did they're fucking dumb as rocks.

Also, Wind Waker didn't have tits out and up as a defining art style so it's a very different beast anyway.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    CGIRanger over at Resetera has a thread where he compiled an extensive list of all of the known rare Blades, their voice actors and designers. It's worth a look, to be honest.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/xenoblade-chronicles-2-the-rare-blade-compilation-op-to-be-continuously-updated.3884/

If only practically any one of those artists was lead concept on this
    Sounds like it might end up being the best Xenoblade yet even though you can't play dress-up with your party and it looks more anime-y than some might be comfortable with. That's a shame. People skipped Wind Waker too because they were too embarrassed to play it.

I don't think this game's art will have anywhere near the staying power of Wind Waker. It's pretty generic moe anime art with girls with skimpy outfits and giant tits.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    A concern I just had: If abilities are tied to blades and they have set abilities based on the weapon/driver combo and don't seem to learn more actual attacks... Doesn't that mean you will spend much of the game using the same attacks? If so that would be pretty disappointing.

Was a problem with X where once you learned your combo there was no real reason to get any new skills(and even if you did they weren't actually new it was just adding other skills you've seen from other classes). Seems like it could be similar here where once you get the weapons you want the attacks will always be the same. That would make visual progression even lower than it already is with dropping the visual armor.

Yes, and this was a problem in XC1 as well (Keep in mind that Shulk only ever got enough arts to fill his bar), typically once you figured out the skills you wanted to use there wasn't much of a reason to change them. XC2 probably won't be as bad, part of the reasoning behind the random Blades is that you're forced to experiment a little. Say one Blade uses fist weapons but is clearly the better choice for a fight (say, because of element), it makes sense to switch even if it's not a weapon type you've been using normally. Or the class system giving you benefits depending on what roles you have equipped. There's incentive to switch out Blades. For the majority of the game will most people stick to the weapons they're comfortable with? Yeah, of course, but I feel like it will at least be less bad than it was in previous games, if not perfect. But eh, a step forward?

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Shulk only got enough arts to fill his bar, though his Monado Arts doubled that count. The other characters had loadout options.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Wind Waker felt like a broken Zelda, but I guess that was the idea.

• Options
    Broken as in buggy? Incomplete? Displaying a world that has been ruined by catastrophe?

• Options
    Kyanilis wrote: »

Yes, and this was a problem in XC1 as well (Keep in mind that Shulk only ever got enough arts to fill his bar), typically once you figured out the skills you wanted to use there wasn't much of a reason to change them. XC2 probably won't be as bad, part of the reasoning behind the random Blades is that you're forced to experiment a little. Say one Blade uses fist weapons but is clearly the better choice for a fight (say, because of element), it makes sense to switch even if it's not a weapon type you've been using normally. Or the class system giving you benefits depending on what roles you have equipped. There's incentive to switch out Blades. For the majority of the game will most people stick to the weapons they're comfortable with? Yeah, of course, but I feel like it will at least be less bad than it was in previous games, if not perfect. But eh, a step forward?

Yea that's making me a bit sad all over again.

I keep flip flopping on my excitement levels. All the cool systems will kinda feel pointless to me if I don't have anything to actually see for it. Like if I';m just fiddling with the systems to make my numbers higher but what I see during combat is unchanging all game that immediately kills my desire to play with the systems. Hopefully that's not the case but you're right, they don't have a great track record of that so far.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Broken as in buggy? Incomplete? Displaying a world that has been ruined by catastrophe?

D.) All of the Above.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    If this game is anything like the first Xenoblade there should be cheesecake eye candy for everyone.

Yes you had Sharla McBoobs but then you also had Reyn who was shirtless for half his Armor Designs and Dunban who's best setup had him practically naked.

The instant I had his Dodge skill he no longer wore clothes through the rest of the game. He was godly because of it.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Speaking of character designs to keep everyone talking their Twitter updated with a new blade.

DOp92iKX0AAcrS3?format=png

I kind of dig this design.

Also, just for the record Melia was the best character in the first Xenoblade.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I never saw a single outfit for Reyn that had his shirt off.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I went and searched and you might be right. My memory might be a bit off. He wore a lot of small tight shirts but maybe not completely bare chested.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    You know, credit where it's due. Even when the designs were bad the Xenoblade casts have so far been very likeable.

• Options
    Is any of the blades just Elemental Discharge?

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Speaking of character designs to keep everyone talking their Twitter updated with a new blade.

On the one hand, boob window and see through negligee.

On the other, dual wielding, with a dagger on the belt for even more stabby action.

And, yes, Melia was great.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I went and searched and you might be right. My memory might be a bit off. He wore a lot of small tight shirts but maybe not completely bare chested.

I also remembered Reyn being shirtless before I looked it up. Is this one of those mass hallucinations, like Sinbad playing a genie in a movie called Shazan?

• Options
    Reynn's aesthetic was enormous, chunky armours. Random animal horns on the helmet optional.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular

How is the middle fabric opaque enough to show cleavage and belly button, and yet be completely G rated below the belt.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png