As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xenoblade Chronicles] Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition coming to Switch in 2020

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Okay, well maybe I'll just wait to see if XBC2 ever gets a price drop and get that instead.

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Sigh, "It's really good, and an improvement over the base game" and "you need to play the base game" are not what I had hoped to hear.

I do think I heard that the difficulty is much more adjustable for the base game though, has anything been done via patch to allow for a quicker/streamlined experience, other than allowing a much easier difficulty?

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    It is an improvement, but an improvement on something that was already pretty fun.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    RE: XBC2's profitability - remember, they used XBX's engine for it, so a lot of the development time/cost was already paid for by that game. MonolithSoft is also a good Nintendo team player. They assisted with both Splatoon2 and BotW (specifically, the open world environment).

But, regardless of the reasons, I'm a Takahashi/Xeno fan, so the promise of more original games from him/MonolithSoft makes me very, very happy.

• Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    TDawg wrote: »
    Remember when Nintendo refused to bring Xenoblade Chronicles over to the US because they didn't think there was a market for it?

To be fair they weren't exactly wrong. Hell, the sales for it in Japan were fairly dismal too I'd say.

All in all I'm surprised they kept putting faith in the series, but the long burn has paid off. Which is good news for everyone.

edit- I do strongly suspect XCX2 is under development.

Yeah but their US release was a limited run through one retailer that sold out so hard that stores were putting up new copies as used because they could charge more for them.

From what I recall it did just fine in markets where the distributors didn't try to kill it out of spite. Especially as jrpg fans weren't really the wiis target market.

edited September 2018
    XC1 did actually sell way better in NA than Japan by like 3x as much. However Japan’s numbers were pretty low (160k IIRC).

Still though, worldwide it was still less than a million.

XC2 has been their biggest hit by far, but even that took six months to hit 1.4 million worldwide.

Axen on
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    I bet Shulk being in Smash helped sales of XC2.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    plufim wrote: »
    I bet Shulk being in Smash helped sales of XC2.

Rereleasing XC1 on 3DS and the Wii U eshop probably didn't hurt either.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    1.4 million units for a company like Monolithsoft is pretty great.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    Took raiding my stores and a crap ton of salvage, but I was able to buy the depot in Argentium and load up Borialis's hoppers. Boy is happy now and has all 5 of his rings unlocked. Oh lord, I have to feed him MORE food?

Also, director said there was a VERY good chance XBX would se a re-release on the Switch. I hope that happens.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
    Took raiding my stores and a crap ton of salvage, but I was able to buy the depot in Argentium and load up Borialis's hoppers. Boy is happy now and has all 5 of his rings unlocked. Oh lord, I have to feed him MORE food?

Also, director said there was a VERY good chance XBX would se a re-release on the Switch. I hope that happens.

It's good to know that, but man, they're still on the "good chance" stage?

camo_sig2.png
    That was at launch of XC2 so, if it's going to happen we'll hear about it in a few months.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did. XCX didn't sell nearly as well as XC1, but considering it was on the Wii U the numbers were rather impressive.

I'm pretty dang confident they are working on XCX2 so porting XCX to the Switch would be smart IMHO. The merits of getting the first game in the hands of, more than likely, a lot of people who didn't even know it existed before the launch its sequel is fairly self evident I'd say.

edited October 2018
    It wouldn't surprise me if they did. XCX didn't sell nearly as well as XC1, but considering it was on the Wii U the numbers were rather impressive.

I'm pretty dang confident they are working on XCX2 so porting XCX to the Switch would be smart IMHO. The merits of getting the first game in the hands of, more than likely, a lot of people who didn't even know it existed before the launch its sequel is fairly self evident I'd say.

What were they at 1.3 mil for XCX? While it didn't do so hot in Japan, the NA audience at it up like candy. And the dev team knows how much international audience loves them. In fact Nintendo management said, don't worry about the raw sales so much as making an impressive product. Judging from the reception the series has had. I think their gamble succeed.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    edited October 2018

What were they at 1.3 mil for XCX? While it didn't do so hot in Japan, the NA audience at it up like candy. And the dev team knows how much international audience loves them. In fact Nintendo management said, don't worry about the raw sales so much as making an impressive product. Judging from the reception the series has had. I think their gamble succeed.

IIRC ultimately it was ~100k less than XC1, but considering the Wii U wasn't exactly the most popular system out there Monolith consider it to be quite the success.

Although I should point out that none of the Xenoblade games have been considered anything other than a success by Monolith.

edit- Fun bit of XCX trivia;

Tetsuya Takahashi had originally planed for the city to basically just be Neo Tokyo. However, after a trip to LA he was impressed by the sheer amount of diversity in people and cultures he saw there. He then decided that if the game was going to be about the last remnants of humanity it'd probably be better if they weren't homogeneous like the Japanese are. So he went with the US and New LA was born.

This turn actually cause a fair amount of headache for everyone as they had to scrap a lot of what they had to start over, hence why the game isn't as complete as it could have been.

Axen on
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Torna is amazing. This new combat system is so much better.

The new music and that Gormott remix is great.

I wish we had more places to go. The community page looked like it was set up perfectly for four locations instead we got two on the left and one on the right that is actually inside one of the places on the left.

Bummer.

Viskod on
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

IIRC ultimately it was ~100k less than XC1, but considering the Wii U wasn't exactly the most popular system out there Monolith consider it to be quite the success.

Although I should point out that none of the Xenoblade games have been considered anything other than a success by Monolith.

edit- Fun bit of XCX trivia;

Tetsuya Takahashi had originally planed for the city to basically just be Neo Tokyo. However, after a trip to LA he was impressed by the sheer amount of diversity in people and cultures he saw there. He then decided that if the game was going to be about the last remnants of humanity it'd probably be better if they weren't homogeneous like the Japanese are. So he went with the US and New LA was born.

This turn actually cause a fair amount of headache for everyone as they had to scrap a lot of what they had to start over, hence why the game isn't as complete as it could have been.

But I suspect that this decision gave us Army Pizza, so it all balanced out in the end.

Holy crap I love Nia so much.

camo_sig2.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Oof. Beat Torna tonight.
    Community 4 mandatory for the ending is... eh...

Wasn't entirely expecting the new area for endgame, though I'd already found the Holy Gate of Altana... I kind of expected the point of no return warning at the inn.

I knew some of what was coming. Still hit me in the feels a bit.

Gort during the ending was... well, it's not the first time Monolith's pulled this. It wasn't any harder than Kalas and Xelha's bit. Though because of the main game it briefly faked me out at the start of the scene.

I'm pretty sure Mythra's foresight isn't supposed to be doing that kind of vision though. I guess she was breaking through to the Conduit, which justifies it. A little. Not really necessary.

New title screen is nice.

May go back in to find the last couple slate pieces and turn in the red pollen orbs quest. Not likely to bother finishing the side quests, or doing NG+ though.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Oof. Beat Torna tonight.
    Community 4 mandatory for the ending is... eh...

Wasn't entirely expecting the new area for endgame, though I'd already found the Holy Gate of Altana... I kind of expected the point of no return warning at the inn.

I knew some of what was coming. Still hit me in the feels a bit.

Gort during the ending was... well, it's not the first time Monolith's pulled this. It wasn't any harder than Kalas and Xelha's bit. Though because of the main game it briefly faked me out at the start of the scene.

I'm pretty sure Mythra's foresight isn't supposed to be doing that kind of vision though. I guess she was breaking through to the Conduit, which justifies it. A little. Not really necessary.

New title screen is nice.

May go back in to find the last couple slate pieces and turn in the red pollen orbs quest. Not likely to bother finishing the side quests, or doing NG+ though.

I got to the point of no return never even realizing it required certain community levels to continue the story at point but..
    Ugh, they really twist the knife in those later quests, one near the end of Community level 5 brings together a ton of NPCs you've helped in the past to help out this one sick girl in town and its really sweet and then if you get Community 6 you get a big group picture of everyone together and its like.... all of these people are going to die....

I was really expecting the "community" NPCs to end up being the people that went to Leftheria with Addam and founded Fonsette. With Hugo's trip to Leftheria and their comments about needing to go their selves I really though that was where they were going with it.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    I suppose there really wasn't any other way Torna could end.

I still have a few slots left in the community tab but the only quest I have is the Green Barrels. (Not counting the Slates or Barney stones). Do I have to clear those up to get the last few? I assume the sick girl has a quest which I haven't done yet at least.

• KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

They just have to say things like that because announcing it ahead of Elma's smash reveal would tip everyone off.

Yep, no tin foil hat here

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    They are not going to just come out and announce it nonchalantly during an interview. I still think it's coming.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    They are not going to just come out and announce it nonchalantly during an interview. I still think it's coming.

Yeah me too.

XCX2 is all but confirmed and I’m of the mind that it’d be a pretty smart move on their part to re-release XCX before then.

I honestly wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if a Switch XCX port sold better than the original version.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Road Block wrote: »
    I suppose there really wasn't any other way Torna could end.

I still have a few slots left in the community tab but the only quest I have is the Green Barrels. (Not counting the Slates or Barney stones). Do I have to clear those up to get the last few? I assume the sick girl has a quest which I haven't done yet at least.

There's...I think 1 quest that unlocks when you complete the green barrel quest. There's one community slot that unlocks when you kill every unique monster. Then there's one more after that.
    When you get and use all the slates, you'll find the Nopon Minisage, who will sell you information that spawns the 4 golden superbosses. You need to defeat those 4 to get him as a community member.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    So I just finished Torna
    I had no idea I would cry that much, holy shit. I expected one major death, but not two and not them! And the big death that was expected isn't even shown, instead we get one last twist of the knife with Lora being hopeful, just as the Praetorium's army lands, which we know will kill her

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
    THIS GAME NEVER ENDS
    I have 140 hours and i'm in chapter 8
    All those rare blade quests
    they hate me

camo_sig2.png
  • KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    370 hours into the game I discovered an area I had never been. Though it's possible I had gone there in the original save as landmarks dont carry over to new game plus.
    Temperantia where the tyrannotitan is locked up.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Kizmitt wrote: »
    370 hours into the game I discovered an area I had never been. Though it's possible I had gone there in the original save as landmarks dont carry over to new game plus.
    Temperantia where the tyrannotitan is locked up.

That was fun to release.

And then run away form very quickly.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    THIS GAME NEVER ENDS
    they hate me

So what really is a reasonable time frame to beat the game if you're actively trying to get through the plot?

PSN: Kurahoshi1
    If I rushed through I guess I'd already beaten it long ago
    I'm going through it in the least efficient way possible

camo_sig2.png
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Septus wrote: »
    THIS GAME NEVER ENDS
    they hate me

So what really is a reasonable time frame to beat the game if you're actively trying to get through the plot?

If you don't do anything sidequest-wise, probably 30ish.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    A few weeks ago I turned on Xenoblade 2 for the better part of an evening, and only played sidequests. I have no idea how far I am through the plot. Maybe halfway? I'm having a great time.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    I mean, I must have every rare blade.

camo_sig2.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I mean, I must have every rare blade.

Ahahahaha... that's gonna be rough.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    I kept my luck high and raised all four of my Blade related stats to their maximum and didn't have that much trouble with it. It did take an entire evening of grinding and opening legendary cores to get the last one though

• NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    So I finally bought the season pass, and played through Torna: The Golden Country.

Man was that great. Makes me want to go and finally start a New Game+ of the main game now.

I also did all? the community quest. I was one person short of getting 88 community members, but I assumed the last one was the granny who implies I need to kill all the unique monsters to get her? That wasn't going to happen. Or I just legit missed a person somehow. I donno.
    I did however play through to the fitting "final" side quest where you help the sick girl. I knew that was coming as soon as I saw them, I just didn't know how or when. And the longer the game went on, I was shocked the quest for her hadn't unlocked yet. Gotta say, it was extremely satisfying watching the entire community you cobbled together come to her aid. It reminded me a lot of the great payoff for the Tarrey Town sidequest in Breath of the Wild.

All in all, fantastic, can't believe I put it off this long. I stayed up until 2 am last night finishing it off before Pokemon Lets Go distracted me from it. Because as we all know, nobody ever really goes back to games once distracted by a new one.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Namrok wrote: »
    So I finally bought the season pass, and played through Torna: The Golden Country.

Man was that great. Makes me want to go and finally start a New Game+ of the main game now.

I also did all? the community quest. I was one person short of getting 88 community members, but I assumed the last one was the granny who implies I need to kill all the unique monsters to get her? That wasn't going to happen. Or I just legit missed a person somehow. I donno.
    I did however play through to the fitting "final" side quest where you help the sick girl. I knew that was coming as soon as I saw them, I just didn't know how or when. And the longer the game went on, I was shocked the quest for her hadn't unlocked yet. Gotta say, it was extremely satisfying watching the entire community you cobbled together come to her aid. It reminded me a lot of the great payoff for the Tarrey Town sidequest in Breath of the Wild.

All in all, fantastic, can't believe I put it off this long. I stayed up until 2 am last night finishing it off before Pokemon Lets Go distracted me from it. Because as we all know, nobody ever really goes back to games once distracted by a new one.

Yeah, that's the one. Torna only has 16 UMs. There's also an 89th community member. You have to get all of the fragments, spend a ton of gold to learn the locations of the 4 super bosses, and kill said super bosses.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Oh hey, after 300+ hours of actual game time I finally got a KOS-MOS.

Just need one dlc blade to complete my ng+ file.