[Xenoblade Chronicles] Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition coming to Switch in 2020

1737475767779»

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Booted up the Torna DLC last night and thus far its really fun! A cool twist on the XC2 combat system that already makes the game more dynamic and engaging- I'm only in hour 2 and have plenty to manage during combat, whereas in every other Xenoblade game I always felt like my party was just about locked into auto-attack only mode for at least the first 15 hours. And the "story excuse" for why its different is quite clever, too. Really looking forward to sinking my teeth in further.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Torna is probably the only time I'll tell people to play the main game before the prequel. The events of Torna will mean so much more when you know where the characters go after the events of before. The ending of Torna kind of broke me knowing how it effects the people in the future.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    That remake looks really good! It's super cool that they went above and beyond and aren't doing just a straight remaster. They could get away with it with how handicapped the original was running on the Wii -- even just running the original game at 1080p looks waaaay better than running at 480p on the Wii. It always felt like the ultimate example of a game being hampered by its platform in that regard, but going the extra mile and redoing the models and stuff is amazing.

Xenoblade 1 is easily my favorite JRPG in the last 15 years -- probably #2 all time in my books. It managed to be what I've wanted the last 5 Final Fantasies to be and did it seemingly effortlessly. The characters are great, the story is peak JRPG absurdity, the combat is great for the genre, and it will finally look as good as it should have all along.

Fiatil on
    Steam:Fiatil
    physi_marc
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    edited March 26
    Definitive Edition comes out May 29th, epilogue content confirmed, though what it connects to seems pretty obvious from the trailer.

Oh, and hey, Alvis has a rad new necklace.

Might want to check that out...

EDIT2spoilersiguess?:
    While I'm wanting a XC3 and it seems like they're aiming to set that up here, I also want this treatment done with XCX and a "fixed" story. Seriously, the art book hints at so much more, and there needed to be at least another chapter or two, I'd be curious if they took the time with a "DE" of XCX and revamped all that. Or, hell, first give us an XCX2, then an XCXDE, and then combine the series into a XC3X3 :rotate:

Because they're all in the same universe and no one can convince me otherwise. Just FYI, in my headcannon, XC/XCX takes place before Xenogears or Xenosaga and explains how "Lost Jerusalem" became lost. What's that you say? The other Xenogames aren't in the same universe as the Xenoblade games, and XCX isn't either?

illfiteu

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

FeldornAndy Joe
    Oh, looks like at this moment, Amazon doesn't have a preorder up. Best Buy does though.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Let's be careful with spoilers for people who haven't played games before.

On that note (XC1 ending spoilers)
    Dammit monolith, that retcon doesn't work, the chronology is all wrong... The third core is stated to have vanished separately from the experiment, but Alvis was present at the beginning of the timeline.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Alvis new necklace is very interesting in how it might connect to XC2. Quite looking forward to seeing what is new in this beyond just that though. The epilogue sounds great.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    Polaritie
    Polaritie wrote: »

Dammit monolith, that retcon doesn't work, the chronology is all wrong... The third core is stated to have vanished separately from the experiment, but Alvis was present at the beginning of the timeline.

Not sure what is spoilers but I think I edited out the potential?

regarding your spoiler (actual major spoilers)
    It's only stated that Ontos triggered a space-time transition event, there's no reason that contradicts Alvis being in the new world the whole time. It could have just went ahead, knowing was was coming; or maybe we will learn eventually that it did so intentionally in concert with Logos and Pneuma, to move humanity forward. That's speculation, obviously, but I'm just saying there's nothing in the given timeline that is necessarily off by Alvis being confirmed to be Ontos. In fact, I'd argue that there really wasn't any other option for Ontos after the ending of XC2, combined with Alvis telling you he was the computer on the station, there's no other alternative. Giving him a new necklace just puts a bow on it.

My personal theory is that it was a test by the Conduit to determine if humanity could move forward or if it would destroy itself in the transition to being more than just biological. The splinter world that made up XC1 took Klaus's darkest impulses to create a conflict between biological and mechanical and see if it could still be overcome, while the part still left in the "real" world in XC2 still appreciated life in all of its forms and tried to find ways to make it work melding the two. Alvis going on ahead to prepare the world that would be the test of Bionis and Mechonis, fits, to me anyway.

It's only stated that Ontos triggered a space-time transition event, there's no reason that contradicts Alvis being in the new world the whole time. It could have just went ahead, knowing was was coming; or maybe we will learn eventually that it did so intentionally in concert with Logos and Pneuma, to move humanity forward. That's speculation, obviously, but I'm just saying there's nothing in the given timeline that is necessarily off by Alvis being confirmed to be Ontos. In fact, I'd argue that there really wasn't any other option for Ontos after the ending of XC2, combined with Alvis telling you he was the computer on the station, there's no other alternative. Giving him a new necklace just puts a bow on it.

My personal theory is that it was a test by the Conduit to determine if humanity could move forward or if it would destroy itself in the transition to being more than just biological. The splinter world that made up XC1 took Klaus's darkest impulses to create a conflict between biological and mechanical and see if it could still be overcome, while the part still left in the "real" world in XC2 still appreciated life in all of its forms and tried to find ways to make it work melding the two. Alvis going on ahead to prepare the world that would be the test of Bionis and Mechonis, fits, to me anyway.

(Still big ending spoilers)
    Mainly the part about Earth existing in XC1 is a bit of a spoiler.

The main thing is that everyone keeps jumping to "computer on station" = Ontos. As if there was only one computer in the whole place. I think the necklace change is clearly implying that, and you're right that it could work out. But I don't see any reason it has to be Ontos as opposed to some other computer system achieving sentience.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I know XCX has no connection at all to XC1 or XC2, but I still kind of hope it'll get some kind of cameo in this Definitive Edition. An armour or something, maybe.

(Still big ending spoilers)
    Mainly the part about Earth existing in XC1 is a bit of a spoiler.

The main thing is that everyone keeps jumping to "computer on station" = Ontos. As if there was only one computer in the whole place. I think the necklace change is clearly implying that, and you're right that it could work out. But I don't see any reason it has to be Ontos as opposed to some other computer system achieving sentience.
    In XC1, sure; but by the end of XC2, it isn't ambiguous anymore. We're told the three parts made up the station computer, and we know that Logos and Pneuma remain and that Ontos peaced out beforehand. Putting that together with what Alvis tells you at the end about his true nature, while it isn't directly stated that he is Ontos, it doesn't leave a lot of alternative explanations, particularly how closely together XC1/2 end up being tied together by that event, and how important the other two components of the Conduit were.

Philosophically it is all the more fascinating, to me. Logos and Pneuma, or Logic and Spirit, make up the test of XC2. Logic, the cold calculation that ultimately nothing has a purpose, and the nature of all things is to end, seeks to hasten the inevitable, while the Spirit resists, fighting against odds and nature itself, to have a right to exist in the face of the inevitable, and maybe change what that inevitable is. The splinter world is guided by Ontos, Ontology, or the nature of being, assumes life will resist the inevitable, so instead seeks to find out what the nature of that existence is at all. Can life accept life, if it seems different and foreign, even wholly alien? And even if it can accept life of different natures, will it seek to control, or co-exist.

All together seeking to find out the true nature of humanity, and to determine if it is worthy to move forward, or if it should fade away for the well being of other life.

XCX can totally fit in here, but it requires a lot of assumptions and guesses, and while it doesn't need to fit at all, I still like to think it does, but that's a much more guess-work-y discussion

Nitsua
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    I know XCX has no connection at all to XC1 or XC2, but I still kind of hope it'll get some kind of cameo in this Definitive Edition. An armour or something, maybe.

Optional boss fight vs a Skel.

WotanAnubisTcheldor
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Lin's Skell fanfic.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    Tcheldor
    Vyolynce wrote: »

"Strange Mechon" and its just the cover model?

• FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    I'm planning to jump in.

It'll be my first Xeno* game. Trying to find XB2 on sale as well.

steam_sig.png
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    I feel like I should play that, with as much time as I put into XC2.

Also, I have to say, XC2 really was one of the more surprisingly enjoyable games I've played of late. That was really nice!
    I like games with a happy ending. Screw your grim angsty stuff, here, have some "happily ever after", dammit.

physi_marcPolaritieLordSolarMachariusCantido
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Holy shit that special edition

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
    Where can you buy and import games from the UK? I need that UK Xenoblade special edition.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    plufim