As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xenoblade Chronicles] Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition coming to Switch in 2020

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    So, I think I'm stuck right now. The path the advance the main quest goes to a door I can't open.
    I got past the mines under Colony 6, was given the quest to go to the marsh. And teleported out. Now the mines are blocked off and the path says to go to the front gate of Colony 6 which is closed. Am I boned?

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    You should have activated a landmark south of Colony 6, try finding it and teleporting there. Head more south-ish from there for the marsh entrance.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Okay, I beat the game
    I totally called Alvis basically being the Zohar Modifier equivalent for the setting once I saw his necklace and him using the Monado during his introduction, and also the parts when he told Shulk "you have to find your True Monado". Nice twist. Really loved that it turns out "god" was anything but and that's why they lost. And a good ending overall. I don't think I'll ever get tired of Engage The Enemy.

I'll have to hop into Future Connected soon, but I want some time to decompress first.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Expert Mode is nuts. Everyone is nearly complete with all 4 skill trees before I even recruit last character!

• Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Make sure you max everyone's levels before you collect said last character so they'll be the same level.
    Best time is right before the elevator in Galahad Fortress. After that you won't have an opertunity.

Road Block on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Okay, I beat the game
    I totally called Alvis basically being the Zohar Modifier equivalent for the setting once I saw his necklace and him using the Monado during his introduction, and also the parts when he told Shulk "you have to find your True Monado". Nice twist. Really loved that it turns out "god" was anything but and that's why they lost. And a good ending overall. I don't think I'll ever get tired of Engage The Enemy.

I'll have to hop into Future Connected soon, but I want some time to decompress first.
    The original game had a key as the necklace, which is less of a giveaway.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Finished the game. Story was decent, gameplay was tedious (fucking SPIKES), turned to Casual Mode just before Core and never turned it off because the less I engaged with combat the better.

Not sure if I'll bother with the epilogue.

Future Connected is pretty good thus far (only played about four hours, and progressed very little into the main "plot"). Mostly spent the time exploring, killing Unique Monsters and doing the quests that unlock as you open up the map. This is really the platonic ideal of the first game without the bloat of just doing truckloads of quests for quests' sake.

Minor, minor spoilers
    I adore Kino and Nene character-wise, but I wish they had their own unique Arts rather than being Sharla & Reyn clones.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Future Connected is pretty good thus far (only played about four hours, and progressed very little into the main "plot"). Mostly spent the time exploring, killing Unique Monsters and doing the quests that unlock as you open up the map. This is really the platonic ideal of the first game without the bloat of just doing truckloads of quests for quests' sake.

Minor, minor spoilers
    I adore Kino and Nene character-wise, but I wish they had their own unique Arts rather than being Sharla & Reyn clones.
    Yeah, out of 4 party members saddling you with 2 of the worst party members (Melia being one of the worst when under AI control).

I realize they must think some players need the all-healing-all-the-time of Sharla, but I feel like it might've thematically fit Kino better to be a heropon like his dad, with his same skillset. Kid, you're not gonna be a very effective hero when all you can do is heal and waste time cooling off.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky

Minor, minor spoilers
    Yeah, out of 4 party members saddling you with 2 of the worst party members (Melia being one of the worst when under AI control).

I realize they must think some players need the all-healing-all-the-time of Sharla, but I feel like it might've thematically fit Kino better to be a heropon like his dad, with his same skillset. Kid, you're not gonna be a very effective hero when all you can do is heal and waste time cooling off.
    Yeah... its a relatively safe party but Melia doesnt get to break chain attacks and is bad at filling the meter so...

Minor, minor spoilers

I disagree with your assessment on one of them.
    With the right skills and gems, Reyn was a monster and could solo topple lock stuff, on top of crazy damage output in chains. Sharla's definetly the worst of the cast arts wise, the big issues being not having a talent art effectively and being really bad in chain arts due to lack of options. Since there's no Chain Arts in Future Connected, that's a bit less of a liability I guess but still not super great. FWIW, I've been running Shulk/Kino/Nene and killing UM above my level at least with daze locks and dazes from the Ponspector finishes.

Minor, minor spoilers

With the right skills and gems, Reyn was a monster and could solo topple lock stuff, on top of crazy damage output in chains. Sharla's definetly the worst of the cast arts wise, the big issues being not having a talent art effectively and being really bad in chain arts due to lack of options. Since there's no Chain Arts in Future Connected, that's a bit less of a liability I guess but still not super great. FWIW, I've been running Shulk/Kino/Nene and killing UM above my level at least with daze locks and dazes from the Ponspector finishes.
    Yeah but Shulk is OP, even if you can't gem him out as insane in FC

Minor, minor spoilers

Oh no I think you got my assessment wrong, I was unclear.
    They gave us 4 party members: Shulk, Reyn, Sharla, Melia. Of the 4 they gave us, we got two of the best (Shulk and Reyn) and two of the worst (Sharla and Melia, under AI control/lacking chain attack OPness). I think it would've been fine if Kino was anyone but Sharla. Riki is as good a healer as her so I nominate his skillset.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky

Minor, minor spoilers

Oh no I think you got my assessment wrong, I was unclear.
    They gave us 4 party members: Shulk, Reyn, Sharla, Melia. Of the 4 they gave us, we got two of the best (Shulk and Reyn) and two of the worst (Sharla and Melia, under AI control/lacking chain attack OPness). I think it would've been fine if Kino was anyone but Sharla. Riki is as good a healer as her so I nominate his skillset.

Ah, gotcha.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Just about to head to Prison Island for the last time. Almost done with the Colony 6 re-construction. Everyone is at level 77 and most of the side quests I have left are requiring hunting monsters in the 80's - 90's.

Almost finished for now and then I'll get into the epilogue.

It's been nice playing through this again.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    On reflection, I think Sharla's move-set would be entirely salvageable if Cool Off functioned as an Ether attack. The more heat you've accumulated, the more (Blaze?) damage you to. As it stands, nothing Sharla does justifies her having an anti-Talent Art.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • WaveformWaveform Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    On reflection, I think Sharla's move-set would be entirely salvageable if Cool Off functioned as an Ether attack. The more heat you've accumulated, the more (Blaze?) damage you to. As it stands, nothing Sharla does justifies her having an anti-Talent Art.

I get the feeling that Sharla's "Negative Talent Art" was a result of Design-by-Worry.

"Oh no, it's not right that players using Sharla are so *safe* with her over focused healing kit. What we need to do is give her moments of vulnerability. And we'll steal her Talent Art to do it!"

Meanwhile, the Shulk/Reyn/Dunban party just dunks on the entire game, no healing required.

Kupi wrote: »

Increase her art damage more to play with the damage amp of heat, give her another red attack art, and make cool off usable in chain attacks where it immediately dumps all heat.

edited July 2020
    I might try to make her operate similar to Melia, where the talent art isn't just a single ability but applies a modifier to other things.

How about this: to start with, you aren't forced to use her talent art, and it's not a bad thing outright. That's dumb. Forcing the talent art to be used ruins her for chain attacks. It needs to be usable in chain attacks as a beneficial thing.

Instead, using her talent art changes all her blue arts into red or purple arts with an equal/opposite effect. Single target heal becomes single target damage. Multi target becomes AoE. Status effect shield becomes status effect appliers.

It's still called Cool Off. In-universe you're cooling off your weapon, by releasing the accumulated heat as blaze damage on the enemies. You aren't forced to ever cool it off, but it's just not hot enough to use the art until its meter fills up.

The downside is you can't heal until you use up all the heat. Which probably means she would be bad under AI control, but I would gladly take that as a tradeoff.

UncleSporky on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I tried getting back into X today, I left off back in 2017 after meeting the chipmunk voiced aliens.

It is very hard to get back into X, it is so different from 1 and 2. The art icons are so unclear I have no idea what they're supposed to communicate. What was wrong with rotating the icon to tell you something is a side attack or a back attack?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    It says near the battle icons if you're are above/below/on level/side/front/back of the enemy.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    The real problem is with the effect icons. They're so tiny, and there are so many of them. I ended up just completely ignoring them for the most part.

Finished Future Connected, and I'll admit I got really hyped when Engage the Enemy started playing towards the end. Now I really wish any possible XC3 revisited the original cast again. Just what a wonderful game, overall.

edited July 2020
    I don't understand team-up attacks.
    I pick some abilities, I usually end up doing a bit of damage, but not much, and hardly worth pausing the fight for. I think one time I got a notification of a combo. What are you trying to do, and how do you do that?
    Same thing with seeing future attacks. I just use Monado Shield every time because it seems to work and I have no idea what the icons mean. It's also why I only lead as Shulk since nobody else has that.

YoungFrey on
    edited July 2020
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    I pick some abilities, I usually end up doing a bit of damage, but not much, and hardly worth pausing the fight for. I think one time I got a notification of a combo. What are you trying to do, and how do you do that?
    Same thing with seeing future attacks. I just use Monado Shield every time because it seems to work and I have no idea what the icons mean. It's also why I only lead as Shulk since nobody else has that.

when you use multiple attacks of the same color, they boost the damage of subsequent attacks (stacks to x5 bonus). you can use talent arts as a wild card to help chain abilities as well, or to switch colors (say you use 3 red arts, then a talent art, then use someone's ether ability to cap out the chain at 5).

future attacks it varies. physical arts (afaik red or white) can be blocked by monado shield, but not all arts are physical (they'll come up as purple or blue). there's tutorials for both of these mechanics in game that cover what and how these work which are accessible from the Plus button->Tutorials. Break->Topple or Sleep, can also block enemy arts for those that aren't completely immune to those statuses, or use other party member's abilities to defend them by walking up to them and using the Warn prompt to use an art that gives evasion, damage reduction or a shield or something (or if they're going to die due to low HP, healing them above the incoming damage amount also works).

Naphtali on
    Shield only protects against talent arts.

Speed boosts agility so works against physical arts.

Armor reduces all damage (and is op).

Other characters can bust visions too. Topple/daze, sleep, heal, taunt, self res buffs, damage reduction, etc.

YoungFrey wrote: »

Chain attacks:
    The primary mechanic here is the combo. Higher combo number (caps at 5) gives a damage multiplier, so ending with a big hit (e.g. Back Slash, Sword Drive, etc) with high combo does massive damage. The combo is increased by using same-color arts in succession. This is the biggest reason people dislike Sharla - she only has one red art and that's where most of the big damage things are, so she's bad at helping with chains. That said, talent arts are a wild card and match all colors, which means you can also use them to change the color of a chain while maintaining it. (Also, Sharla's talent art can't be used in chain attacks)

A chain attack is guaranteed to go to each character once. After that it's RNG, with the main factors being tension level, passive skill bonuses (Shulk gets a big one in one of his skill trees and it can be linked to party members), and I think the party affinity? Also, cooldowns don't exist in chain attack, which means you can use it to pop out long cooldown arts more often (e.g. Reyn's Sword Drive hits super hard and has a super long cooldown) or crank extra healing (which is also affected by chain multiplier, it's very easy to full heal with a chain, and if you're lucky you can think talent art that into red arts for damage).

Future attacks:
    The main thing to watch for here is the color of the attack name. White=talent art, Red=physical art, Blue/Purple=ether art. Monado Shield reduces talent arts to do 1 damage and negates all extra effects. Monado Speed negates physical attacks for one person (unfortunately, there are also AoE ones). The better option is the late-game Monado Armor, which is a % damage reduction to physical and ether for the whole party (but not talent, still need Shield for those).

There are other ways to deal with future attacks. Inflicting daze cancels any attack (topple only delays it). Heals and other buffs can make it survivable. And hitting Chain Attack right before it connects prevents anything that would stop a party member from being able to act - so no topple, no daze, and lethal hits leave you with 1 HP (so you can just heal up with the chain attack and move on).

Also:

The team of Shulk, Reyn, Sharla is not very good in chain attacks for combo damage compared to others, nor does it excell at building party meter.

edited July 2020
    navgoose wrote: »
    Also:

The team of Shulk, Reyn, Sharla is not very good in chain attacks for combo damage compared to others, nor does it excell at building party meter.

Shulk/Reyn/Dunban is probably the best party for just mowing through enemies for much of the game. You don't need heals when you just topple and murder anything that's not a boss. All those topple/daze arts going off (plus Shulk's positionals and Dunban's combos) does decent chain attack gain.

What you really want for filling the party meter though is just haste+double attack to get crits a lot. Shulk and Dunban love gems for those.

Polaritie on
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Also:

Shulk/Reyn/Dunban is probably the best party for just mowing through enemies for much of the game. You don't need heals when you just topple and murder anything that's not a boss. All those topple/daze arts going off (plus Shulk's positionals and Dunban's combos) does decent chain attack gain.

What you really want for filling the party meter though is just haste+double attack to get crits a lot. Shulk and Dunban love gems for those.

Use melia instead of Reyn, if you like playing as her, and that comp just makes everything vanish.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Also:

Use melia instead of Reyn, if you like playing as her, and that comp just makes everything vanish.

Melia's only real weakness is being bad at filling the party gauge, because she has solid damage normally and utterly obscene damage in endgame chain attacks. She's definitely more of a late bloomer, in that you really want her arts leveled for lower cooldowns, but... I've seen the videos of her just killing the superbosses in a single chain attack (more specifically, a chain attack then stand back and watch them die to DoT).

I was apparently doing combos the exact opposite of how I'm supposed to. I thought I was supposed to use a different color every time.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Man Satorl Marsh is gorgeous at night, they really did a job on this zone.

Donnicton on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Also:

I guess if you really just want to play Melia? She does good damage and works well in any chain scenario, but built right Reyn can one shot damn near everything in the game except the super bosses, and can topple lock them by himself. It really isn't comparable. Shulk isn't amazing damage but is a ton of utility, and Dunban is really high damage and let's Reyn be a dps beast and not worry about aggro (letting him use a back attack gem to do even crazier damage).

Melia is better paired with Seven and Riki imo. Yeah, burst let's her carry on any color chain, but with Reyn/Shulk/Dunban they have more than enough attacks to carry any chain to its max. Also all talent gauge abilities carry over chains, they're just not as readily available as melias. I've used mad taunt on Reyn to switch from green to red many times.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I'm back from the you-know-what core
    now i'm doing that huge last batch of quests.
    fuck i love this game

oh and what's a good Reyn build, @The Dude With Herpes ?

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2020
    Reyn wants something like

Magnum Charge
    Berserker
    Sword Drive
    Lariat
    Dive Sobat
    Wild Down
    Shield Bash
    War Swing for aoe or Bone Upper if you want the extra debuff from Sobat

Naphtali on
    Just beat it again. Still love the ending and final battle. Now I'm really looking forward to trying Future Connected now.

Melia is still my favorite character and I forgot just how amazing her character is.
    She lost everything that basically meant anything to her....her father, her brother, the majority of her people, her kingdom, and the first guy she ever loved only had eyes for someone else. Still at the end of it all, she is as strong as she ever was. She doesn't hate Fiora and instead willingly gives up pursuing Shulk on her own as she just wants him to be happy and doesn't want to come between him and Fiora. After all that, she is still there to give Fiora encouragement and pep talks and be a friend when needed.

This game is still one of my favorite RPGs of all time. The story still holds up and the camaraderie of the group is so fun to watch. And even better now because the character models don't look like they've been backed over by a truck. So happy this game was redone for the Switch.

melia.jpg

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    If you like Melia, Future Connected is worth the playthrough.

If you like Melia, Future Connected is worth the playthrough.

Yep, I'm really excited to play through it. Of all the characters, Melia is the one character sorely needing real closure. I'm hoping the expansion gives that to her.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png