As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MechWarrior/BATTLETECH] THREAD DESIGNATED FOR DISASSEMBLY, SEE NEW THREAD

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Tigliss wrote: »
    Wait, why is everyone leaving (says the guy that had 13 patches in the queue)?

Most of us aren't leaving and are in the same lethargic state that we were before. I think that this is just the fifth time Buttcleft is quitting the game forever.

I have to admit: between Thursday night's Oosik bash and the MWO advent event, I've been playing semi-regularly these past few days. Last night, in particular, was pretty fun since I don't think my Phoenix Pack Shadow Hawk has seen this kind of action since....well...ever. Multiple 400+ damage matches with this thing is just stupidly fun!

Honestly, this event looks really nice. Relatively low-effort rewards (from what I've seen), once a day, for playing a few matches. If I weren't literally on call to drive to a hospital at a moment's notice, I'd probably be spending some time on it.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Uhhh....

Anybody else think this looks like a 70 ton Locust?

https://mwomercs.com/sun-spider

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Uhhh....

Definitely. Also, sun spider? Is this the Clanner's Roughneck?

Edit: Sarna doesn't seem to have an entry, so I'm guessing that means yes. The second MWO original has arrived.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    PGI's MechCon presentation is happening now on their stream

New urban map is Blade runner themed, with lots of neon, burning smokestacks, and Tina Benoit's face on a big screen

Solaris! Duncan Fisher!

They showed off bolt-on geometry. Lots of silly stuff there.

Holiday giveaways: Play 1 match on Dec 27 and get 1250 MC, 2 free Hero mechs, 3 mil C-Bills, and some free premium

Another MW5 trailer with some storyish bits? December 2018. Mod support! 4-player Co-op!

Aaand it's over.

Here's the MW5 trailer they showed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztqhTjLVfgs

They're really going for the MW2:Mercs aesthetic with the "If you're hearing this, we're dead" message.

Kaboodles_The_Assassin on
    sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Mod support!

MOD SUPPORT!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

• Options
    Apparently 4-player Coop was announced?!?!?

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Nips wrote: »

Yuuuuuuuuuuuup!

I wonder how it's supposed to work though. Does it integrate into the campaign? Do your co-op buddies take over any AI lancemates you might have? Or is it a separate mode?
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Mod support!

MOD SUPPORT!
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Yeah, can't wait to festoon my mechs with nekkid anime chick decals.

Kaboodles_The_Assassin on
    sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    AI lancemate takeover according to PC Gamer.

Y'know, single player with co-op and mod support.

PGI has done gud. As long as they have Bethesda-level support anyway. Cause then they can make a shitty base game and the MW community will rally around it and make it super awesome.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Holiday giveaways: Play 1 match on Dec 27 and get 1250 MC, 2 free Hero mechs, 3 mil C-Bills, and some free premium
    They're sooooo EoLing MWO

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

EoL?

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    End of Life.

That sounds as good a time as any to dust off my Mechbays once I come back fom my vacation lol

• Options
    End of Life.

That sounds as good a time as any to dust off my Mechbays once I come back fom my vacation lol

Yeah it dawned on me abou a minute ago, came to edit my post but you already beat me to it heh

• Options

They're putting out an entire Solaris game mode, a new QP map in the spring, bolt-on geometry, and first-person mechlab in the next few months. Seems like an awful lot of effort for a game they're about to kill off.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Uhhh....

Definitely. Also, sun spider? Is this the Clanner's Roughneck?

Edit: Sarna doesn't seem to have an entry, so I'm guessing that means yes. The second MWO original has arrived.

if it matters, Sarna has an entry now.
    http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Sun_Spider

But yeah, the second MWO Original is here.

• Options
    TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    Mod support!

MOD SUPPORT!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

So the community can fix dumb balance issues, and make new mission sets and I can play it with Oosiks? (And it is out next year?)

Great googily moogily!

l7n41RV.png
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Tigliss wrote: »
    Mod support!

MOD SUPPORT!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

So the community can fix dumb balance issues, and make new mission sets and I can play it with Oosiks? (And it is out next year?)

Great googily moogily!

Looks like 2018 will be good for stompy bot action.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    And the return of the Unseen (strictly working on the idea if I say it enough, it will happen)!

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Yuuuuuuuuuuuup!

I wonder how it's supposed to work though. Does it integrate into the campaign? Do your co-op buddies take over any AI lancemates you might have? Or is it a separate mode?
    Mod support!

MOD SUPPORT!
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

See this is one of the reasons I dislike PGI. I'd like to be excited about this, but I'm firmly into the "I'll believe it when I see it" phase with them. They've sucked the wonder out of giant robot.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Yuuuuuuuuuuuup!

Mod support!

MOD SUPPORT!
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

You're thinking too small.
    x2zS0Wk.gif

5gsowHm.png
  • Options

They're putting out an entire Solaris game mode, a new QP map in the spring, bolt-on geometry, and first-person mechlab in the next few months. Seems like an awful lot of effort for a game they're about to kill off.

sure they are.

Just like they were gonna put out energy draw, and that other thing that i cant even remember.

Until they realized work was hard and quietly tried to make the public forget them.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    RIP Minimap.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »

sure they are.

Just like they were gonna put out energy draw, and that other thing that i cant even remember.

Until they realized work was hard and quietly tried to make the public forget them.

The way they implemented energy draw was literally Ghost Heat 2.0. It was bad and everyone hated it. If anything I see it as a good thing that they backed off and decided not to push that monstrosity through like they did with the skill tree.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

sure they are.

The way they implemented energy draw was literally Ghost Heat 2.0. It was bad and everyone hated it. If anything I see it as a good thing that they backed off and decided not to push that monstrosity through like they did with the skill tree.

It needed some slight tweaks, like not having ammo weapons draw energy, and playing with total energy pool and recharge rates.

It certainly was better than ghost heat that they have left implemented for the next year without revisiting.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Inverse.

Kinematics.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular

sure they are.

Ghost Heat was dead as soon as Clanners saw 6 PPC Stalkers were possible again, combined with the death of their 80 damage laser alphas. Oooh, scary 60 damage alphas...

The only thing Ghost Heat needed was a slight increase to the heat penalty when overdrawing, and heavier Gauss power draws. That's it. They didn't need to increase power for Autocannons or SRMs, decrease LRM draw or find they exact percentage needed to make LBX's not more crap than they already are.

Like infowar and the skill tree, they could have worked if they weren't just listening to the comp players stroking their epeens (and kept Paul away from it.) Of course there were going to be new cheese builds, new optimal combinations, but that's really unavoidable. It fixed a bunch of loopholes the Clans have been abusing since their release, things the IS can't do because the loadouts can't even fit on a mech.

Instead they've just been gluing more shitty ghost heat on EVERYTHING. Gauss rifles with PPCs. IS Autocannons just in time for the first IS mechs that can even fit 4 AC10s. There are reports of heat bar desync all over OutreachHPG. Its a mess groaning under the weight of all the duct tape that has been slapped on over the last 4 years.

But hey, the best part of Energy Draw did make it into the game. Now the IS Large Pulse Laser only does 10 damage for even more heat than it used to. BALANCE!

• Options

sure they are.

Ghost Heat was dead as soon as Clanners saw 6 PPC Stalkers were possible again, combined with the death of their 80 damage laser alphas. Oooh, scary 60 damage alphas...

The only thing Ghost Heat needed was a slight increase to the heat penalty when overdrawing, and heavier Gauss power draws. That's it. They didn't need to increase power for Autocannons or SRMs, decrease LRM draw or find they exact percentage needed to make LBX's not more crap than they already are.

Like infowar and the skill tree, they could have worked if they weren't just listening to the comp players stroking their epeens (and kept Paul away from it.) Of course there were going to be new cheese builds, new optimal combinations, but that's really unavoidable. It fixed a bunch of loopholes the Clans have been abusing since their release, things the IS can't do because the loadouts can't even fit on a mech.

Instead they've just been gluing more shitty ghost heat on EVERYTHING. Gauss rifles with PPCs. IS Autocannons just in time for the first IS mechs that can even fit 4 AC10s. There are reports of heat bar desync all over OutreachHPG. Its a mess groaning under the weight of all the duct tape that has been slapped on over the last 4 years.

But hey, the best part of Energy Draw did make it into the game. Now the IS Large Pulse Laser only does 10 damage for even more heat than it used to. BALANCE!

I don't understand you griping about ghost heat when Energy Draw was literally just a new way to apply ghost heat. That's all it was. Replacing shit with a different flavor of shit isn't progress.

And I don't understand this complaint about PGI listening to the comp players. You listen to the comp players because they are the best at the game.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    The comp players are the best at winning competitions. Your typical pug match isn't a competition match. They are also probably less than 1% of your customers, likely whales at that, so they might account for the majority of PGI's profits, in which case it totally makes sense to pander to them. They also pilot 90% Clan mechs. I mean, the outcome is obvious. I just disagree that it is "the best."

Energy Draw was a more consistent form of Ghost Heat that you can understand without a two page long table (http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/equipment#weapon_heatscale) It had better in game UI feedback, and more universal rules. I think it would have been a net benefit to the game.

• Options
    The comp players are the best at winning competitions. Your typical pug match isn't a competition match. They are also probably less than 1% of your customers, likely whales at that, so they might account for the majority of PGI's profits, in which case it totally makes sense to pander to them. They also pilot 90% Clan mechs. I mean, the outcome is obvious. I just disagree that it is "the best."

Energy Draw was a more consistent form of Ghost Heat that you can understand without a two page long table (http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/equipment#weapon_heatscale) It had better in game UI feedback, and more universal rules. I think it would have been a net benefit to the game.

Comp players are best at winning competitions because they see the underlying imbalances in the game and exploit them ruthlessly. They bring what they they see is the best. They're not Clan loyalists by any means. Heck, there were several Wolfhounds during the world championship tournament and a handful of Battlemasters. The champion team brought a triple UAC2 Dragon every match and kicked ass with it. If someday PGI buffs IS tech to be on par with the Clans, you'll see more IS mechs in competitive drops.

I don't see how balancing at the competitive level makes the game worse for everyone else. What's the alternative to balancing by top level play? Balancing by pugs? You do that and LRMs would be even more garbage than they already are.

And I'm not opposed to the basic concept of energy draw on principle, but what they need to present something better than ghost heat 2.0

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    On a non-griping note, MW5 is slated to have co-op and to be moddable. Hopefully that means we can make an Oosik Edition.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Comp players are best at winning competitions because they see the underlying imbalances in the game and exploit them ruthlessly. They bring what they they see is the best. They're not Clan loyalists by any means. Heck, there were several Wolfhounds during the world championship tournament and a handful of Battlemasters. The champion team brought a triple UAC2 Dragon every match and kicked ass with it. If someday PGI buffs IS tech to be on par with the Clans, you'll see more IS mechs in competitive drops.

I don't see how balancing at the competitive level makes the game worse for everyone else. What's the alternative to balancing by top level play? Balancing by pugs? You do that and LRMs would be even more garbage than they already are.

And I'm not opposed to the basic concept of energy draw on principle, but what they need to present something better than ghost heat 2.0

They aren’t balancing by top level play, they arent really balancing at all.

If they were, they would be correcting the underlying imbalances that the top level players have been exploiting ruthlessly.

But that would shake up the META and upset those same top level players who have gotten comfortable.

Much how PGI has let Faction Play turn into CBill farming mode for organized groups at the cost of it being a vibrant mode of play. All to try and pretend its a “competitive”mode, even though there is a seperate mode for that already.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    I guess it depends if you're satisfied with the state of the game. The Comp players seem to like it the way it is. Overall, I'm not satisfied with the state of MWO and I think Energy Draw would have been an important step forward. As long as Clan ghost heat is balanced around 30-40 damage alphas while IS is balanced around 20-30 (with less range, heavier, harder to fit weapons) I believe there is a fundamental flaw in PGI's methods. Energy Draw did not maintain that status quo, and I believe it is one of the reasons it got scrapped so quickly.

I personally want CW to be a fun part of the game. It's a game mode where IS fights Clans. If Competitive Players are the best, and field 90% Clan mechs, and "see underlying imbalances in the game and exploit them ruthlessly" then I think you'd have to agree CW is fundamentally imbalanced. I believe that's a barrier to CW being a fun place to spend time in game, something I want to have fun playing.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    It's just advantages across the board with Clans. Higher alphas before ghost heat kicks in. Clan xl engines. Smaller/lighter weapons, smaller heat sinks, smaller endosteel/ferro fibrous, clan CASE.

I would abandon quirks on 100% of my Sphere mechs for the capability to equip clantech within the chassis. It would result in far more powerful mechs in almost every case.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    It's just advantages across the board with Clans. Higher alphas before ghost heat kicks in. Clan xl engines. Smaller/lighter weapons, smaller heat sinks, smaller endosteel/ferro fibrous, clan CASE.

I would abandon quirks on 100% of my Sphere mechs for the capability to equip clantech within the chassis. It would result in far more powerful mechs in almost every case.

I mentioned something along these lines in the Oosik bash on Thursday, but I thought that LMGs were supposed to be .25t each and Smurfy's wasn't reflecting that (which I chalked up to a bug). But then, the other night, I was trying out a 6 HMG Blackjack-Arrow build (wasn't all that great) and was thinking of trying out LMGs instead...but then noticed that IS LMGs really are .5t (the same as regular MGs) and I was just all "WTF??? lolPGI"

EDIT - guess I just got used to c-MGs/c-LMGs...

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    On a non-griping note, MW5 is slated to have co-op and to be moddable. Hopefully that means we can make an Oosik Edition.

Probably because they plan on going the Bethesda route of releasing a steaming pile of shit, and hoping the community fixes it.

• Options

Probably because they plan on going the Bethesda route of releasing a steaming pile of shit, and hoping the community fixes it.

Honestly, if we can get some of that good, good Bethesda jank into a 'Mech game, I'm not seeing a downside.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2017

If it's a good enough foundation/the tools are strong enough that the community can fix it, I'd be fine with that. And given Bethesda's record, so would most gamers. That's the beauty of mod-support for a game, it's a fantastic way to hedge your bets as a developer.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    TiglissTigliss Registered User regular

Honestly, if we can get some of that good, good Bethesda jank into a 'Mech game, I'm not seeing a downside.

While salvaging: "Welllll, I've already have 600 broken small lasers, but I might need this one for later"

l7n41RV.png
  • Options
    I can only imagine the works of art we'll receive if the MWO community is any indication.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVE3iJKM7QE

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I can only imagine the works of art we'll receive if the MWO community is any indication.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVE3iJKM7QE

that was not a good time to take a drink

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

If it's a good enough foundation/the tools are strong enough that the community can fix it, I'd be fine with that. And given Bethesda's record, so would most gamers. That's the beauty of mod-support for a game, it's a fantastic way to hedge your bets as a developer.

And people wonder how companies like EA have been allowed to get to where they are today.

This discussion has been closed.