As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MechWarrior/BATTLETECH] THREAD DESIGNATED FOR DISASSEMBLY, SEE NEW THREAD

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Y'all are breaking my heart. The middle one is a Crusader

e: or maybe a suped up Phoenixhawk

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Y'all are breaking my heart. The middle one is a Crusader

e: or maybe a suped up Phoenixhawk

Eh? I mentioned that already:
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    in these cases the Marauder, Crusader, and Archer

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Wait... so Sony bought the rights to Robotech from Harmony Gold last year IIRC. They're even making a Robotech movie.

And Robotech is Macross, but not Macross.

But HG has the rights to the Macross stuff still? But sold the Robotech rights, which are Macross but not.

Man alive giant robots are a complicated as fuck business.

Edit- OMG! HG could sue Sony for infringement on their Macross brand with regards to Sony's Robotech movie. Ow, my head.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I one shot an Oxide at full sprint with my UAC20 Bounty Hunter. Who knew a 73 damage alpha was so good. Lunchbox Warhorn MVP.

t5065yorv13z.jpg
    ms3yloxm3w3c.jpg

wnll7lrj0q2i.jpg

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Okay, after going back and forth with my Assassin I ended up throwing out the Gauss Rifle and swapping it over for an LBX10. It still generates next to no heat while in stealth and now I can offer ECM coverage until fights start or spotting for missile boats and then start running around legging people. The stealth armour has been aces for just waltzing through the enemy group and dropping UAVs too.

The Assassin has -15% cooldown on ballistics built in and I can drop that to almost 30% with skills which makes it cycle pretty damn quick. It deals with the biggest issue the Gausses had which was the charge time. I thought those would be okay but it was far too slow, with the LBX I can be on the move and active rather than standing out alone sniping.

It felt immediately better when playing it, where playing with first the light and then the regular gauss felt off.

Edit: Also while looking for the skill tree calculator I noticed that Photobucket is holding the OP hostage.

Kelor on
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    *wakes up*
    *sees yet more Harmony Gold litigious bullshit*
    *rubs temples vigorously*
    *closes all the browser tabs he has open to the HG bullshit*

Nope. Just, nope. Not getting worked up on this BS again.
    Kelor wrote: »
    Edit: Also while looking for the skill tree calculator I noticed that Photobucket is holding the OP hostage.

Yeah. I'm in the (disjointed) process of reworking the OP to fix all that. It doesn't help that getting my images off PB is a pain in the ass, and finding a new image sharing service is a drag.

And anyone that suggests Imgur hasn't read their ToS; they could do the same thing that PB just did, on a whim.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    To cheer myself up, I have more BATTLETECH. Because anything is better than litigious bullshit.

The Sword goes after The Dagger today, to claw back some honor and territory.

https://youtu.be/4n2CgORvPMI

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I one shot an Oxide at full sprint with my UAC20 Bounty Hunter. Who knew a 73 damage alpha was so good. Lunchbox Warhorn MVP.

t5065yorv13z.jpg
    ms3yloxm3w3c.jpg

wnll7lrj0q2i.jpg

I'm waiting to hear Padre complain about your ERSL messing up the symmetry.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    I know double post and all that. But I finally got to play around with the new tech the other day. First up was being an idiot and forgetting that more than 3 RACs cause a mech to instantly shut down. Ran my Cyclops with 4 RACs and peeked over a hill to fire on the enemy team. Shut down and suddenly was being torn apart and hit with air strikes. Luckily I managed to hit override and back back down. Luckily for me one side was torn out so I could manage the rest of the match with 2 RACs which did a little under 300 damage for the round (and the loss). Swapped those puppies back to UAC5s and everything went swell again.

The Rifleman 2RAC2/2AC2 build was horrible. Mainly because the only way I could manage to squeeze in more ammo was to lower my engine and I didn't want to run slower than 46kph. So I just put it back on the shelf for another day.

I built the two Dire Wolf builds (Padre's and mine) and tried them out. I suddenly realized how funny it is to alpha and kill someone, then hit Override and blow up. But it was funny seeing that enemy mech vaporize before my eyes.

I built a 9MRM10 Archer, but never took it out for a spin because I just couldn't bring myself to skill it all up. Not to mention after the DW experiment I just wasn't willing to try it out.

I did come up with a funny 2 Snub Nose PPC and ERSL Urbanmech build that does some decent work as a light. I think people are surprised to see two PPC balls of energy coming at them from such a small mech. Too bad it really doesn't do much damage compared to the 3MPL 3MG build I used.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Idle thought of the day: can I squeeze six Snub nose ppcs into a Jester?

Edit :
    Wait, I don't think that I have enough slots in the arms /side torso

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

t5065yorv13z.jpg
    ms3yloxm3w3c.jpg

wnll7lrj0q2i.jpg

...Why isnt the medium laser in the arm, and the ERSL in the head?

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Buttcleft wrote: »

t5065yorv13z.jpg
    ms3yloxm3w3c.jpg

wnll7lrj0q2i.jpg

Because I want to zombie with a Medium Laser not an ER Small. I did actually end up a stick a couple times last night. I put quite a few points into Agility and Torso Twist. Dare I say I twist too fast? It's kinda hard to keep a steady aim.

I also ran some dumb 5+ kill games in my Cyclops. I finally settled on 7 MRM10's and 2 LPL for the Q with an XL360. Never stop missiling! My P switched over to an LFE325, 3 LL, 2 UAC5, ECM build. Haven't had a chance to test the LFE penalty yet because I just kill everything :/

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »

t5065yorv13z.jpg
    ms3yloxm3w3c.jpg

wnll7lrj0q2i.jpg

Because I want to zombie with a Medium Laser not an ER Small. I did actually end up a stick a couple times last night. I put quite a few points into Agility and Torso Twist. Dare I say I twist too fast? It's kinda hard to keep a steady aim.

I also ran some dumb 5+ kill games in my Cyclops. I finally settled on 7 MRM10's and 2 LPL for the Q with an XL360. Never stop missiling! My P switched over to an LFE325, 3 LL, 2 UAC5, ECM build. Haven't had a chance to test the LFE penalty yet because I just kill everything :/

But..it'd be more balanced..

• Options
    edited July 2017
    It's OK Padre. I understand. Symmertry is the fashion souls of stompy bots.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Idle thought of the day: can I squeeze six Snub nose ppcs into a Jester?

Edit :
    Wait, I don't think that I have enough slots in the arms /side torso

two of the hardpoints are in the CT, so the most you could do is five

still probably not a good idea though

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    @Nips I would seriously just use Imgur.

Sure the ToS sounds scary, but I've been using it for years now. I've threads that are five years (or more) old now and still have their pics up.

It is easily the best service out there.

Edit- like I made the jump from PB to Imgur because PB always does this shit.

Axen on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I think any free content host is going to have scary terms for the same reason that Blizzard and most MMORPG companies have at-will permanent service denial clauses in their ToU's; less because of any intention to use them and more as a catch-all fallback position for dealing with whatever shit may come up.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    We all know that @Nips is just waiting for someone here to tell him that he should just buy his own domain and pay for a host to upload pictures and movies. That way he can justify it.

I personally vote pay for a hosting and domain name there Nips. It is the best way to avoid all of the free hosting sites. Plus you can make some nifty other pages while you are at it, like galleries and such.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    We all know that @Nips is just waiting for someone here to tell him that he should just buy his own domain and pay for a host to upload pictures and movies. That way he can justify it.

I personally vote pay for a hosting and domain name there Nips. It is the best way to avoid all of the free hosting sites. Plus you can make some nifty other pages while you are at it, like galleries and such.

You could even document the continued exploits of the OILERs!

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    Do we know if laser AMS is as effective at shooting down missiles as conventional AMS?

My understanding is that the only differences should be the different slot/tonnage /heat/ammo constraints and that their actual performance at shooting down a volley of missiles should be identical. "Should" being the key word.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Do we know if laser AMS is as effective at shooting down missiles as conventional AMS?

My understanding is that the only differences should be the different slot/tonnage /heat/ammo constraints and that their actual performance at shooting down a volley of missiles should be identical. "Should" being the key word.

Yeah they are just as effective at intercepting missiles as the traditional AMS is.

edit- The only real downside to them is the heat gen since AMS + 1ton of ammo takes up the same amount of slots and weighs more. Depending on your Mech and loadout this may be a non-issue or a deal breaker.

Axen on
  • Options

only thing i know about LAMS is that i saw the beef do a video with a team of 3xLAMS kitfoxes and they all blew up from over heating.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    as far as I know they perform identically aside from the heat and lack of ammo

the heat isn't so bad, at least as far as I can tell (though I haven't tried 3xLAS.) Most of the time you aren't actively fighting and shooting down missiles at the same time, or if you are it's at decent range so you can dial back your firing

ed: that said 2000 rounds seems like plenty for 95% of quickplay matches, so if you're just running a single AMS you may as well use that

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Axen wrote: »

Yeah they are just as effective at intercepting missiles as the traditional AMS is.

edit- The only real downside to them is the heat gen since AMS + 1ton of ammo takes up the same amount of slots and weighs more. Depending on your Mech and loadout this may be a non-issue or a deal breaker.

Shouldn't it weigh the same? I'm pretty sure an AMS is half a ton, and the laser AMS is 1.5 tons. So AMS with one ton of ammo is the same tonnage and slots.

Edit:
    It's also worth noting that, when missiles aren't present, you don't have a ton of AMS ammo waiting in your hull as a potential bomb.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »

Shouldn't it weigh the same? I'm pretty sure an AMS is half a ton, and the laser AMS is 1.5 tons. So AMS with one ton of ammo is the same tonnage and slots.

Oh yeah you are right. Some reason in my head AMS was 1 ton too.

• Options
    Are there any IS ECM mechs with multiple AMS hardpoints?

Because I'm just imaging a Stealth mech self-destructing from AMS overheat.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    I don't recall any off the top of my head.

Most every IS mech with ECM has garbage hardpoints.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I've a laser-boat Black Knight with two LAMS and usually it is fine, but I just did a match on Terra Therma in which I self destructed after, like, 5 minutes. However, I also intercepted 910 fucking missiles so I consider the match to be an extreme circumstance. :razz:

edit- Oh I have a question about MRMs. Do they have a minimum range? The tooltip in the mechlab doesn't say anything about it like it does with the LRMs, but I remember watching videos from the PTS that certainly made it look like they do.

Axen on
  • Options

Listen, and let me be clear about this from the jump: I've had it in my head to launch a website for the last couple of years now, for multiple reasons (including Oosik-ery). In fact, I just came up with three more reasons in the last week.

Every time I look into this though, I balk at both the price and/or the technical acumen required to do all of that correctly.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Heavy medium lasers are wasted on the clans, they'd be perfect on my marauders.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    A lot of things are wasted on the Clans.

"Clan Uac's suck. The damage spreads"

I'd gladly run the lightweight minature DPS machines on my Sphere mechs. Those tonnage / slot savings add up fast.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    A 4 ton, 40 damage alpha? Why on earth would you want that?

• Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Heavy medium lasers are wasted on the clans, they'd be perfect on my marauders.
    I don't know about being wasted--I run heavy lasers on most clan 'mechs at this point. They're definitely getting used.

• Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I'm doing a little better today. Not the numbers some of you post, but better.

ilmLPmM.jpg

And another! I feel like I'm figuring out how to properly use this Timber Wolf and PPCs

qJjI3Nn.jpg

Bonepart on
    XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    I dunno, those numbers look better than most of my matches. :P

• Options
    HAHAHAHA! ALL THE MISSILES!!!

DjCwQ0B.jpg

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    If you're routinely breaking 200 damage, then you're doing okay.

• Options
    Bone, those are some good numbers. Nice work.

Keep in mind that the matches that we brag about tend to be outliers where we're showing off rather than our average performance.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Look Bone, I'm gonna just come out and level with you here.

You're never gonna make it as an Oosik unless you can at least, like, quadruple your damage* numbers.
    *Team damage

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Yeah, we just won't stand for that kind of trigger discipline.

This discussion has been closed.