As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MechWarrior/BATTLETECH] THREAD DESIGNATED FOR DISASSEMBLY, SEE NEW THREAD

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/9Vb81RCEQBE

Everyone Watch this.

I dunno why yet specifically you want us to watch this but I love that everyone is freaking out in the drop except the one gal who is treating the mission as the most adorable thing ever.

EDIT: Finished it up. That was pretty damn funny the whole way through.

EDIT 2: I'm going back to watch earlier episodes and I'm seriously wondering if Raven is my long lost in universe mech sister :lol:

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Someone in Outreach's Monday Salt Thread broke down the competitive mech representation in honor of the upcoming IS weapon and quirk nerfs (spoiler alert: The Arctic Cheetah is still more popular.) With a cooldown of FOUR seconds, there's literally no reason to use Medium Lasers anymore.
    j8YE8wu.png

Bugs with the Competitive queue are generating memes so dank its crossed over into Star Trek.
    zS6UtVm.jpg

Meanwhile, in FP...
    yAwZWve.jpg

(I kinda liked the Long Toms don't kill me)

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Yeah the new nerfs to lasers and UAC5s being linked to AC5s really made me not like where they are heading. The 2AC5+2UAC5 Black Widow was a bit much, but at least it made it competitive with Clans. Now I'm not too sure if it will be useful that way. I might just rig it up to be a Warhammer again and run it around for fun. Or make it into a Boomhammer with SRM6 and AC20 again.

At the end the Long Toms we're hilarious. Especially when we (the IS) would run rabbits into the enemy bunches and die a glorious death only to have their Long Tom take out the majority of their drop. Good times...

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Yeah the new nerfs to lasers and UAC5s being linked to AC5s really made me not like where they are heading. The 2AC5+2UAC5 Black Widow was a bit much, but at least it made it competitive with Clans. Now I'm not too sure if it will be useful that way. I might just rig it up to be a Warhammer again and run it around for fun. Or make it into a Boomhammer with SRM6 and AC20 again.

At the end the Long Toms we're hilarious. Especially when we (the IS) would run rabbits into the enemy bunches and die a glorious death only to have their Long Tom take out the majority of their drop. Good times...

Well, you know, its totally fair IS UAC5's should have a ghost heat limit that punishes running four, and the Clan UACs aren't linked because the 2 UAC10, 2 UAC5 Kodiak 3 totally isn't a problem. In fact, lets give Clan ACs the same buffs we're giving the IS.

PGI is nerfing the Clan Heavy Lasers cooldown which obviously prevents high alpha, hide and cooldown tactics that the Clans rely on. That Linebacker that just spiked to 96% heat firing 76 damage worth of Heavy Lasers is going to be worthless now that he has to wait 0.25s longer to fire the Heavy Larges again.

But you know, let's nerf the Annihilator's armor quirks because its getting the same mobility buffs as the King Crab, Dire Wolf and Kodiak. Its not like buffing everything doesn't help one mech over the others.

• Options
    Well if that map you just posted is correct. Soon it'll be all clan as far as the eye can see. Then they'll have to open it up to clan versus clan again just to have people play FW. I haven't put a foot into FW in a long time now because I just don't care anymore.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Well if that map you just posted is correct. Soon it'll be all clan as far as the eye can see. Then they'll have to open it up to clan versus clan again just to have people play FW. I haven't put a foot into FW in a long time now because I just don't care anymore.

They promised ISvsIS (and ClanvsClan) when they launched the new FP system (or was it the new FP system before this one?) so it should be ready 3rd quarter 2020?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Mortious wrote: »

They promised ISvsIS (and ClanvsClan) when they launched the new FP system (or was it the new FP system before this one?) so it should be ready 3rd quarter 2020?

Yep they used to have those in there before, and then decided to remove it.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

I'm guessing that's because when offered the option to not fight clans, most IS players gladly took it.
    And, when forced to fight only clans, clan players realized how much it sucked to be on the receiving end of clan flavored love?

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

I'm guessing that's because when offered the option to not fight clans, most IS players gladly took it.
    And, when forced to fight only clans, clan players realized how much it sucked to be on the receiving end of clan flavored love?

Actually the FRR had a truce with fellow IS neighbors and only attacked clans. The pugs and such did the IS vs. IS routes but for the most part we were focused on taking it to the Clans with organized attacks rather than the pug conga line into clan firing lines.

Well that truce ended up later on being broken, but for the most part FRR went only Clan battles.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    under the old system anybody could queue to attack any planet as long as there was a contiguous border, so there were a fair number of internecine matches. When they changed things to the current 'tug of war' setup that went away, since players are no longer actively choosing which planets to attack.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

The best way to force PGI to adequately balance the factions is to refuse to faction play as IS until it's cleaned up. Then ppl who want to pay cash to enjoy the advantage of clan mechs don't have an incentive to spend. IS players in faction play are whale food at the moment. I'd love to come back but not until my place in the ecosystem as an IS player is not to be target practice for ppl who want to put down $$ to do better at competitive play.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Okay so which one of you scrubs is gonna fill in for Nips so I can get my Battletech itch?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    kaliyama wrote: »

The best way to force PGI to adequately balance the factions is to refuse to faction play as IS until it's cleaned up. Then ppl who want to pay cash to enjoy the advantage of clan mechs don't have an incentive to spend. IS players in faction play are whale food at the moment. I'd love to come back but not until my place in the ecosystem as an IS player is to be target practice for ppl who want to put down $$ to do better at competitive play.

I've been trying to say that for a long time, but gave up and just went with the FRR HUB where we would roll the Clanners every so often.

But after a while it got tiresome going up against them and I just stopped playing FW. Oddly I think it was about the time where they started forcing battles rather than choose.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    kaliyama wrote: »

The best way to force PGI to adequately balance the factions is to refuse to faction play as IS until it's cleaned up. Then ppl who want to pay cash to enjoy the advantage of clan mechs don't have an incentive to spend. IS players in faction play are whale food at the moment. I'd love to come back but not until my place in the ecosystem as an IS player is to be target practice for ppl who want to put down $$ to do better at competitive play.

I've been trying to say that for a long time, but gave up and just went with the FRR HUB where we would roll the Clanners every so often.

But after a while it got tiresome going up against them and I just stopped playing FW. Oddly I think it was about the time where they started forcing battles rather than choose.

If anything the Clanners have gotten even more lazy than back in the day. They have so many good mechs and totally overwhelming superiority they can afford to goof around. You'll see a lot of ATMs, LRMs and you've still gotta be careful or your gonna get a face full of 160 damage from 4 people running a whole 16 tons of Heavy Mediums when you come around a corner.

The flip side of this is, any org group with any kind of strategy, build and competence to follow through will crush anything outside facing at least a 8 man comp. Clanners will whine the whole way to a loss which only sweetens the deal, but its not exactly fun because you have to run a try-hard, allstar combo of 4 mechs optimized for each map. Dropping with the wrong deck will turn you into 265 tons of target dummies.

I agree a full scale boycott is about the only way to change FW, but I think PGI's attention is 100% MW5 for the next couple of years. This balance pass is a crushing misfire after a couple of pretty good, recent steps in the right direction. I think they are gonna coast even harder than they have been until their new game drops.

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    Man, stop tempting me to come back to FW!!! Hahahahaha. Seriously though, that does sound intriguing at least. How is the FRR Hub? I'm guessing still there since the bigger groups still play.

Yeah, I have a sad feeling that they are going to coast MWO now that they are focusing on MW5. At least their art department is still working on mechs. Also I wonder how much energy the lawsuit is taking out of them on top of all that. Part of me wants to toss some money their way to help fight off the lawsuit, but then again I haven't even touched all of my existing mechs in a long time either.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Man, stop tempting me to come back to FW!!! Hahahahaha. Seriously though, that does sound intriguing at least. How is the FRR Hub? I'm guessing still there since the bigger groups still play.

Yeah, I have a sad feeling that they are going to coast MWO now that they are focusing on MW5. At least their art department is still working on mechs. Also I wonder how much energy the lawsuit is taking out of them on top of all that. Part of me wants to toss some money their way to help fight off the lawsuit, but then again I haven't even touched all of my existing mechs in a long time either.

The FRR Hub is pretty dead these days. There's still normally a group doing FW drops last I checked, although there are only 1 or 2 good drop callers around. Dane still puts on a pretty good party, but I think I'm in the wrong time zone to hook up with his groups.

Lawsuits are pretty fire and forget if you have the right lawyers. Normally you'll spend a week getting all your paperwork together, submit it, and then the least trustworthy party will sit on their ass for the longest amount of time possible before moving things forward. If they are in active talks to negotiate a deal, that could get draining, but I doubt Russ is the one flying down to California to represent them all. I'd imagine Weisman would be taking point, and they might just have a rep doing all the talking for them.

Oh hey look, its Paul again... Why am I not surprised? This balance pass had his greasy fingerprints all over it.
    https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/258318-energy-weapon-patch-update/

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I mean, a 'full scale boycott' is basically already happening. PGI can bribe players into FP with event rewards but outside of that it's basically a ghost town any time but U.S. peak hours, and even then it's not very populated.

most of the bigtime serious units (lol) at this point have gone clan, and it doesn't take too long for even the densest of pubbies to get the hint

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    steamspy is always an interesting thing, to me, to look at now and again. Granted, some of MWO's playerbase is still on the standalone client (me), but it's still indicative of some things.

It looks like MWO is averaging a playing audience around 18-22k per day, over the last two weeks. Peak concurrent users are hovering around 1000-1400 per day, with hourly concurrent going as low as 259 (woof) and as high as 1700, with a mean somewhere in the 1000 or so players.

Out of curiosity, I peeked at BATTLETECH's steamspy stats. For every game, it also has a category tracking Twitch streams and Youtube uploads. Apparently, the Beta is attracting only about 2 to 7 or 8 new YT videos a day...which means my daily output was probably accounting for 12%-50% of any given YT BATTLETECH videos on a given day. My apologies to @Tox and my other 86 subscribers for hiccup'ing the steady flow of vids! I didn't think I was that much of the production side of the market! :P

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Life happens. Gives me time to catch up on theB33f and all the other MWO streamers I've been forgetting to catch up on

• Options
    Speaking of that. You going to be online and in cockpit tomorrow there @Nips ?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Speaking of that. You going to be online and in cockpit tomorrow there @Nips ?

99.9% likely no. I close on my new house the next day, pick up the moving truck Saturday, and haul 10 years worth of house from my current location to the new home on Sunday. I'm in the final throes of packing up, and in all likelihood my PC is going to be broken down at that point (along with the desk underneath it).

I'm hoping that life gets back to something resembling normal in about a week and a half.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Congrats man! Good luck with the move and the fun unpacking.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    lol if you're moving and not using it as an excuse to buy a new desk

My current desk is a hand-me-down that, even without the hutch, weighs slightly more than I do. It...will not be leaving the premise. Just gonna haul it out to the dumpster and be done with it.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Wow did pgi just miss a mech pack release date?

• Options
    Wow did pgi just miss a mech pack release date?

Wait what?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Escalation has been delayed till tomorrow, haven’t played the game in forever just came back and saw it.

• Options
    Tox wrote: »

My current desk is a hand-me-down that, even without the hutch, weighs slightly more than I do. It...will not be leaving the premise. Just gonna haul it out to the dumpster and be done with it.

My wife and I hand-built our desk out of a solid wood door, with pedestal legs and topped with a custom-cut tempered glass sheet. Fully sanded, stained, and assembled on site, it was our first (and probably only) piece of custom-built furniture. It's huge for a computer desk, but we have multiple PCs and an enterprise-class laser printer on it.

This desk is a workhorse, and it's totally sticking with us until we're both cold in the ground.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »

My wife and I hand-built our desk out of a solid wood door, with pedestal legs and topped with a custom-cut tempered glass sheet. Fully sanded, stained, and assembled on site, it was our first (and probably only) piece of custom-built furniture. It's huge for a computer desk, but we have multiple PCs and an enterprise-class laser printer on it.

This desk is a workhorse, and it's totally sticking with us until we're both cold in the ground.

Good luck lugging it, and all you other moving items, @Nips

• Options
    edited October 2017
    so evidently, the battle for luthien (current FP event) has ended in a tie, and everyone gets the 'Defeat' reward.

worst outcome? best outcome? YOU BE THE JUDGE

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    So wait, what's this about a lawsuit? Didn't HG recently get a deadline before they lost the macross rights?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    so evidently, the battle for luthien (current FP event) has ended in a tie, and everyone gets the 'Defeat' reward.

Lolololololol.

• Options
    the giant robot fight between the US and Japan was last night.

It was exactly as stupid as i thought it'd be, and ended exactly as i thought it would considering how top heavy the American "mech" was.

• Options
    PookiepooPookiepoo Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

It was exactly as stupid as i thought it'd be, and ended exactly as i thought it would considering how top heavy the American "mech" was.

The mechs were cool feats of engineering but the fights were scripted and underwhelming. Having live pilots inside the mechs seriously limits what they can do. Mike Goldberg announcing the mess like MMA was the highlight for me. Glad to see he found some work post-UFC.

Steam: Pookie GG Now Playing: BattleTech, Divinity Original Sin 2, MechWarrior 5
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Pookiepoo wrote: »

The mechs were cool feats of engineering but the fights were scripted and underwhelming. Having live pilots inside the mechs seriously limits what they can do. Mike Goldberg announcing the mess like MMA was the highlight for me. Glad to see he found some work post-UFC.

Yeah, they pretty much said that in the post fight QA session on Twitch. They made some weapons that they didn't bring because they didn't want to kill anyone.
    I'm guessing it's really easy to accidentally kill someone when you're slamming 18 tons of metal into each other, even before you hook up giant chainsaws.

On the other hand, we've easily got the tech available to have the robots be remotely operated from on-site cockpit simulators. Less need for bothersome safety gear for the pilots, and much less need for restraint that way.

• Options

What is funnier is that by them giving the "Defeat" reward no mechs were given out. GG PGI.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

Yeah, they pretty much said that in the post fight QA session on Twitch. They made some weapons that they didn't bring because they didn't want to kill anyone.
    I'm guessing it's really easy to accidentally kill someone when you're slamming 18 tons of metal into each other, even before you hook up giant chainsaws.

On the other hand, we've easily got the tech available to have the robots be remotely operated from on-site cockpit simulators. Less need for bothersome safety gear for the pilots, and much less need for restraint that way.

Personally, I thought that intro was pretty epic. The fighting was a impressive first effort, and I'd love to know how pumped someone's eight year old kid got. If anything, I don't think it was scripted well enough. I'm sure they can work on that.

There's a lot of showmanship that goes into this and these guys will need to figure it out, but they've been busy building two robots this whole time too. Having the pilots in the machines is a choice that maybe they'll back off on, personally I think it'll be pretty safe if they can make the bots just strong enough to function and look cool, but not strong enough to break through an armored cockpit. Its a balancing act they might want to push off till later. The Megabots robot still looks pretty wonky, and I'm sure they'll keep improving and revising the design as quickly as they can. Just putting something like that together and not having it explode into a pool of hydraulic fluid is pretty impressive. People talk about how excavators could beat it, and yeah they can, but people have also been building and perfecting these industrial vehicles since World War 2. The Japanese design was way simpler, and I'm pretty sure even it broke down several times.

In the end, the technology needed for anime robot fighting is kind of here, but actually building one is still at the bleeding edge of engineering knowledge. I have no doubt, similar to the Superbowl, that 50 years later this can be a huge deal if the interest is still there. Someone has to take the first step, get laughed at, keep going and eventually make it happen.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

In response to Buttcleft's comment - yes, it was for sure all choreographed, but let's be clear here - a bunch of people built two giant robots to fight each other for entertainment. That's fucking awesome. I'm acquaintances with some of the americans thru burning man and this is a passion project for everyone involved. As a major commercial effort I would have been disappointed in the execution, especially the lousy video editing, but as a hobby project from engineers this is a huge achievement, and a huge ROI for the limited resources invested.

If they keep working on this stuff this will only get better. This is the burning man spirit at its finest IMO - people combining technical expertise and love of art to create really excellent stuff, then destroying it.

When it comes to commercial games or movies, people are paying for a product and rightfully expect it to be of a certain quality and it's inane to call people entitled or tell them to "try making it themselves before critiquing, because games are hard" or whatever. In this circumstance, people are doing this because they love giant robots and aren't charging anyone for anything, you'd be daft to complain that it was "stupid" for the reasons you described.

This kind of stuff is meant to be participatory and to inspire others - if you think their robot was dumb, assemble a team to provide your own robot or offer constructive critique. Just calling it "stupid" and dismissing it and does a disservice to people who busted ass for a long time to make this beta project a reality. We're so lucky people do guerrilla art projects like this to entertain us as an alternative to the media conglomerates we do most of our consuming from.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options

The japanese robot literally just drove forward and won.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Hey, so is anyone here planning to go to PAX Unplugged in Philly next month?

Edit: I also asked this in the thread for the tabletop game, but figured I'd ask here too since it's a lot more active.
    Edit 2: Huh, just looked at the schedule and there's nothing for Battletech. I am disappointed, that's pretty much the only ttg I currently feel like I know well enough to sit down and play without some kind of walkthrough.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Hey, so is anyone here planning to go to PAX Unplugged in Philly next month?

Edit: I also asked this in the thread for the tabletop game, but figured I'd ask here too since it's a lot more active.
    Edit 2: Huh, just looked at the schedule and there's nothing for Battletech. I am disappointed, that's pretty much the only ttg I currently feel like I know well enough to sit down and play without some kind of walkthrough.

Wow, really? I would have thought CGL would have a presence there, since it's shaping up to be another Gen Con-caliber convention. I shouted at them on Twitter, maybe they'll reply.

I can't go this year, but if it persists I'm going to make a real effort next year.

This discussion has been closed.