As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MechWarrior/BATTLETECH] THREAD DESIGNATED FOR DISASSEMBLY, SEE NEW THREAD

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I wanna go, it's local to me and I've got a family member willing to buy me a ticket for a day. But I'm so out of the loop on most tabletop games I don't really know what I'd be going for. But Battletech's mostly the same as it ever was, right? Like, I have one of the CGL starter boxes (the one that's 3025 era stuff but has 'deluxe' Battlemaster and Timberwolf plastic minis) and IIRC it's pretty much the same as my old Fourth Edition box or the BMR book I got during the FanPro years.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Nips wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Hey, so is anyone here planning to go to PAX Unplugged in Philly next month?

Edit: I also asked this in the thread for the tabletop game, but figured I'd ask here too since it's a lot more active.
    Edit 2: Huh, just looked at the schedule and there's nothing for Battletech. I am disappointed, that's pretty much the only ttg I currently feel like I know well enough to sit down and play without some kind of walkthrough.

Wow, really? I would have thought CGL would have a presence there, since it's shaping up to be another Gen Con-caliber convention. I shouted at them on Twitter, maybe they'll reply.

I can't go this year, but if it persists I'm going to make a real effort next year.

CGL is grossly mismanaged. On their forums, people are routinely complaining that six-month old orders from their webstore are unfilled. If you want to buy anything, be sure to order through drivethru rpg. It looks like CGL is just pocketing the $ to keep things afloat without honoring orders. Rather than acknowledge the issue, the mods just ban/sanction you for complaining. The next book in the plot that might also either reset or move forward the series (equivalent to a new edition of warhammer), ilclan, has languished in development hell for like five years. The grognards that buy most current products don't want the system to be modernized at all, and so CGL is cannibalizing a dwindling fanbase selling a game that hasn't meaningfully changed since 1992.

All of the innovation has come from the mechwarrior series + what jordan weisman, who was the developer who made BT successful initially as a tabletop game, is doing with the new pc game.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Well that's depressing.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    kaliyama wrote: »
    The next book in the plot that might also either reset or move forward the series (equivalent to a new edition of warhammer), ilclan, has languished in development hell for like five years.
    I think the important thing to remember is that as far as developer/publishers go, CGL is very small. Like, less than 10 full time employees, I believe. And for a production team that size, they tend to have a lot of product lines in development. Judging from their current social media, all/most of their time and energy is going into the Dragonfall D&D deckbuilding game. And I'd put even money down that since that's in partnership with WoTC, that's a contract or paid gig, which means most everything else is currently on the backburner.

As much as I'd like CGL working full time on the next BT product (and it's not like they're completely idle; the new box sets should be coming out next year, and we got multiple new books this year), BattleTech as a tabletop game is not their moneymaker. Even between that and Shadowrun full-time, I imagine there's no way they'd be making enough money to stay in business.

As far as ilClan goes, that's kind of a controversial thing: it's at the current far-end of the timeline (post Dark Age, 3140) which is still a little under-developed, and also not the most popular part of the timeline by a long shot. I believe this is why the most recent products have focused on the Succession Wars; that part of the timeline (was) still a little thin, and also allowed for a revitalization of the core "brand" while giving things for the grognards to chew on.

Also ilClan is not the equivalent to a new edition "like Warhammer"; GW uses their rules edition changes to revise their game fluff hand-in-hand (to sell new model lines, don't forget how their bread is buttered), but in the history of BT it's never been like that. Changes to the fluff and updates to the game system have largely never been linked (the Clan Invasion notwithstanding). That said, the game rules of BattleTech have been updated over the years. The core of it has remained largely the same, but a lot of the details surrounding the core have been revised, streamlined, and updated. I will admit, though, the core of it is still the game from back in the eighties warts and all.

The grognards that buy most current products don't want the system to be modernized at all, and so CGL is cannibalizing a dwindling fanbase selling a game that hasn't meaningfully changed since 1992.

All of the innovation has come from the mechwarrior series + what jordan weisman, who was the developer who made BT successful initially as a tabletop game, is doing with the new pc game.
    If your playerbase doesn't want a thing, especially with a legacy product, why would you risk radically changing it? Driving away your current playerbase, pinned on the hopes that a revision picks up an influx of new players, is death in the tabletop industry. A revised ruleset only brings in new players if it's also supported by new (introductory) products that can attract new players, or through a strong community/organized play program that can reach out and bring in new players. CGL's getting better, but again, resources aren't infinite.

I would also argue that tabletop BattleTech has innovated, in the form of Alpha Strike. It's a 95% new system, that keeps only the key core concepts from classic BattleTech while making the game streamlined and smooth-playing. It's fucking great, and people don't give it enough credit. I'd argue it's the "modern and innovative" version of BattleTech in every way that's important.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I wanna go, it's local to me and I've got a family member willing to buy me a ticket for a day. But I'm so out of the loop on most tabletop games I don't really know what I'd be going for. But Battletech's mostly the same as it ever was, right? Like, I have one of the CGL starter boxes (the one that's 3025 era stuff but has 'deluxe' Battlemaster and Timberwolf plastic minis) and IIRC it's pretty much the same as my old Fourth Edition box or the BMR book I got during the FanPro years.

There's been a bit of rules updating from the BMR days, but mostly around the edges. If you know BMR rules, you'll be 95% fine to play any games currently run under the Total Warfare rules.

As for why to go to PAX Unplugged: go for the experience! Try new things, anything that catches your eye! That's what tabletop gaming conventions are for. :D

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Oh hey, its time to roll back the Clan nerfs now that everyone is complaining about network issues:
    http://mwomercs.com/news/2017/10/1915-hotfix-scheduled-for-19oct2017

I thought half of the reason for this entire nerf was the Dual Gauss, 6 CMPL Deathstrike?

So now Clan MPLs have the more DPS than IS MPLs with a whole 0.2s longer cooldown. 110m more range, higher alpha, slightly less heat per damage (1.47 vs 1.57) If you max out laser duration, you'll only have 0.2s longer duration than a similarly specced IS mech, unless its got quirks. Oh, they should probably remove those too while they're at it. Two CMPLs do 14 damage, more heat efficiently than a IS LPL (1.37 dph) on the same cooldown. Stack 6 and you'll have an alpha with 12 more damage than 3 LPL for only 12 tons compared to the 21 tons an IS mech will be struggling to haul around. Throwing on a single CLPL will weigh 18 tons and do 54 damage every 3.2s for 1.4 damage per heat.

An IS mech hauling around a full laser alpha... oh wait, barely any IS mechs even have 9 energy hardpoints. Lets start over. If you are running a BL-7-KNT, you can have a 66 damage alpha for 44.55 heat, or 1.48 damage per heat out to ~220m weighing in at a modest 33 tons! Lets be honest tho, you're going to run ERML instead giving you a 4 second cooldown for 6 less damage and even more heat.

If you run a full Clan Pulse Laser Boat (a bunch come up one short due to hardpoints or weight like the Stormcrow), not only will you be at least 15kph faster and probably have access to jump jets if you want them, but you'll be putting out the same 66 damage with over 100m more reach for 48.5 heat, 1.36 damage per heat all for only 24 tons. But hey, if you only have 12 tons to play with, why not go for 2 Heavy Large, 4 Heavy Mediums? 76 damage that fits easy on anything.

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Its almost as if the devs..have some sort of boner for clan supremacy and a fuckall attitude about balance.

• Options
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Look at the disparity between scouting, normal maps and siege map wins. Something is up. I wonder how ghost wins were counted?

The clans only dominated on siege, so how did they have the conquest bar 100% blue so long? The final IS push to end the event in a draw can't possible have swung the stats back that much. Can it? Did the clans get most of their wins from empty matches?

Look at the overall W/L ratios hidden at the bottom. Clans win more overall 0.94 to the IS 0.84.

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    It’s because the tug of war can only go so far to one side; they had it pegged to 100% capture most of the event, until a late IS push moved it back. Games that clan won with the bar already 100% their way basically don’t count for the event win/loss.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    It’s because the tug of war can only go so far to one side; they had it pegged to 100% capture most of the event, until a late IS push moved it back. Games that clan won with the bar already 100% their way basically don’t count for the event win/loss.

Right, and those would have been mostly the siege matches where the clans came out ahead with 50% more wins than IS. I guess IS won a draw with less than 450 victories on the other maps, plus some portion of the siege wins that weren't immediately cancelled out by another clan victory. All of this while holding 100% scouting, probably because the Clan units don't even bother with it. I wonder if the rewards even provide a statistical advantage.

I also want to know how many wins it takes for the whole conquest bar? 100? 1000? Maybe that would help provide enough context to make this add up.

edit: someone over at outreach broke the number down. I haven't verified any of it:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/OutreachHPG/comments/77pxxs/battle_of_luthien_statistics/
    So a total of non-scouting (tug of war affecting) matches is 2298: 1409 won by clans and 879 won by IS. That's 1.60 W/L for clans and 0.62 W/L for IS.

Last Tukayyid was apparently 56% Clan 46% IS. Now its 80% Clans 31% IS? My math might be off.

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    So today has been god fucking awful and MWO... Didnt help at all . But you guys have always been cool so I made My favorite mech OOSIK colors to see how it would come out. Not bad it turns out , I present the Big Shot:
    8DA2C8E375AE973E4254E2D0E82E6EBF891CF997

Not impressed with the Night star at all , still do better and have more fun with my awesome.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Strapped myself in for a few matches today. ECM made me invisible for some strange reason. Also realized that my stats were not working right for the kill or KMDD part of the event but whatever.

Still was fun running about in lights tickling mechs and coring people in my Bushwhacker.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Sorry to hear you've been having a tough time of it Espanta, hope things get better for you soon.
    6pbziq8tezgg.png

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Quad UAC5 nerf is total balls, but whatever, still getting work done.

64k9ecrl0bo1.jpg

• Options
    That is the one mech I forgot to take out yesterday when I was replaying all my old favorites. Took out my Banshee instead which still does some serious work.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    You know what mech does work? I took my Pheonix Hawk 1K out to Frozen City Conquest.

While my team was still busy accelerating from spawn, I moved out to Theta. A Commando was already there, so I took a few shots at him, chased him off, and then ran face to face with an Ebon Jag. So there I am brawling with a 65 ton heavy, and he finally shuts down after stripping one leg of armor. I'm getting missile'd this whole time, but I'm moving from cover to cover. I take out his CT right as he starts back up, cap the point and move forward to rejoin my team.

I'm taking pot shots at a Centurion, Arctic Wolfs, and decide to take the plunge. A Battlemaster is getting pounded, so I add in some manly DPS while he's getting missiled to death. Then I get dog piled... Except, the first contestant to run around the corner is a damaged Arctic Wolf, I finish him off. Then I blow the ST's off a second Arctic Wolf and lose my weak leg. I'm hiding behind a building while LRMs rain in from every direction when the Centurion comes around the corner and takes my arm. I still manage to kill the Centurion somehow while getting hit by so much crap I can barely see.

I finally lose my second leg after securing 175 tons worth of kills, getting hit by who knows how much, laughing the whole way. Like the LPL, I still don't think the SPL should have gotten nerfed (I guess nothing can be as good as a Clan weapon) but 8 of them put out 28 damage every ~1.75s for >11.68 dps. Stuff just dies surprisingly fast. The structure quirks and arm armor are insane, you basically last as long as your legs do. Its the best light the IS has :P

• Options
    I completely forgot about my Phoenix Hawks. Now I want to jump in again and fix those up.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    So I had some left over cbills and I did some tinkering on my awesome . The std 300 got upgraded to lfe and the normal ppcs got upgraded to heavy plus I with the leftover space I put an ams and a ton and a half of ammo. The 3 x med pulse got swapped for er mlas. It’s even better then before. That said it’s runs hotter then naked Valkyrie women splashing at each other in a hot spring. ( wanted something Viking related cause frr and that was the only sexy Viking thing I could think of)

Only played a few games but highlight was deleting a roughneck from this plane of exsistence .

But here is what I don’t get , my nightstar should feel just as fun to play and even has similar damage out put and it even has the jet plane look I love . But it’s just not anywhere near it. I think maybe it’s cause of either the charge on gauss being annoying or how wide the wingspan is. Sorry for the novel.

• Options
  • Options
    Hrm, interesting. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up @Nips

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    those aren't FRR mechwarriors.

They are not nearly drunk or belligerent enough.

• Options
    I need a Zeus with a dude on top screaming, "Charge forward, I want to stab them with this spear!"

• Options
    I need a Zeus with a dude on top screaming, "Charge forward, I want to stab them with this spear!"

I have a zeus if you want to scream.

Technically my Zeus has kind of a speary arm..with the doomfist 6xSRM6

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I can't tell what's more amusing in watching Hyper RPG's Battletech episodes. The banter or seeing Oosiks Long Tom the cast with donations like once an episode.

@Handgimp
    Yeah, just saw that one :biggrin:

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »

I have a zeus if you want to scream.

Technically my Zeus has kind of a speary arm..with the doomfist 6xSRM6

Why on earth is the Zeus 5S quirked for UAC5 Jam Chance? You can't even get two or three UAC2s on it like a Dragon. I would be playing that thing if I could just get a UAC10 on it. A missile build like 3 MRM20s is kind of tempting, but I've been so underwhelmed by them and running a LRM boat is absolutely no fun.

Why on earth did PGI nerf its structure quirks, nerfed its offensive quirks, they made it twice as big and then gave the Victor even better armor quirks than the old structure. The Awesome is the poster child of getting nerfed while having never been OP, but at least it got good quirks once upon a time when average mech speed wasn't 80kph. The Zeus has been mediocre since its release, and then it got quad slammed into the dirt. It should at least get arm armor quirks like the Pheonix Hawk. No one's complaining about the Victor being OP, but its miles ahead right now and its got jump jets to boot.

PGI should totally have a Lightweight Weekend sometime where you have challenges for 20, 40, 60, and 80 ton mechs. Sure, the Locust and Piranha are dumb strong for the weight, but the rest are so fun and I always feel terrible weighing my team down with them.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    er, 3xSRM6 on the zeus.

God I wish it had 6xSRM6 lol.

When it first came out the Zeus was pretty powerful, I used it as the centerpoint of my CW dropdeck. the 3xSRM6 and the ability to deadside were pretty powerful.

were, being the operative word.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Eh, for 5 more tons I was taking Battlemasters all day. The structure bonuses weren't great, low hardpoints and not many of them. The Thunderbolt was a way better 80 ton assault at the time, lawl.

• Options
    Eh, for 5 more tons I was taking Battlemasters all day. The structure bonuses weren't great, low hardpoints and not many of them. The Thunderbolt was a way better 80 ton assault at the time, lawl.

But Dooooooooooooooomfist
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMbQNu-d7QU

• Options
    edited October 2017
    nonoffensive on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I dunno if you guys know this or not, but Aleworks Brewing out of Williamsburg, VA, makes a damnfine pumpkin amber ale.

iev0nd302pwu.jpg

EDIT: Also pictured: my conference call-keep-my-hands-busy craft project.
    EDIT2: Not quite pictured: my TAKING OUT THE TRASH! coaster it's resting on.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    kaliyama wrote: »
    The next book in the plot that might also either reset or move forward the series (equivalent to a new edition of warhammer), ilclan, has languished in development hell for like five years.
    I think the important thing to remember is that as far as developer/publishers go, CGL is very small. Like, less than 10 full time employees, I believe. And for a production team that size, they tend to have a lot of product lines in development. Judging from their current social media, all/most of their time and energy is going into the Dragonfall D&D deckbuilding game. And I'd put even money down that since that's in partnership with WoTC, that's a contract or paid gig, which means most everything else is currently on the backburner.

As much as I'd like CGL working full time on the next BT product (and it's not like they're completely idle; the new box sets should be coming out next year, and we got multiple new books this year), BattleTech as a tabletop game is not their moneymaker. Even between that and Shadowrun full-time, I imagine there's no way they'd be making enough money to stay in business.

As far as ilClan goes, that's kind of a controversial thing: it's at the current far-end of the timeline (post Dark Age, 3140) which is still a little under-developed, and also not the most popular part of the timeline by a long shot. I believe this is why the most recent products have focused on the Succession Wars; that part of the timeline (was) still a little thin, and also allowed for a revitalization of the core "brand" while giving things for the grognards to chew on.

Also ilClan is not the equivalent to a new edition "like Warhammer"; GW uses their rules edition changes to revise their game fluff hand-in-hand (to sell new model lines, don't forget how their bread is buttered), but in the history of BT it's never been like that. Changes to the fluff and updates to the game system have largely never been linked (the Clan Invasion notwithstanding). That said, the game rules of BattleTech have been updated over the years. The core of it has remained largely the same, but a lot of the details surrounding the core have been revised, streamlined, and updated. I will admit, though, the core of it is still the game from back in the eighties warts and all.

The grognards that buy most current products don't want the system to be modernized at all, and so CGL is cannibalizing a dwindling fanbase selling a game that hasn't meaningfully changed since 1992.

If your playerbase doesn't want a thing, especially with a legacy product, why would you risk radically changing it? Driving away your current playerbase, pinned on the hopes that a revision picks up an influx of new players, is death in the tabletop industry. A revised ruleset only brings in new players if it's also supported by new (introductory) products that can attract new players, or through a strong community/organized play program that can reach out and bring in new players. CGL's getting better, but again, resources aren't infinite.

I would also argue that tabletop BattleTech has innovated, in the form of Alpha Strike. It's a 95% new system, that keeps only the key core concepts from classic BattleTech while making the game streamlined and smooth-playing. It's fucking great, and people don't give it enough credit. I'd argue it's the "modern and innovative" version of BattleTech in every way that's important.

Yes, so what that means w/Dragonfall, etc. is that they are rolling all of their $ garnered from BattleTech into supporting Dragonfall. Years ago when he was line developer, Herb Beas proposed using ilClan as a way to reset the setting to something approaching neutral, using 3250 as a new 3025, and using the advancement in tech as a way of resetting the rules. He got shouted down by the grognards and Herb is now long-gone.

The game is in desperate need of a head-to-toe overhaul, since it is lugging around a rules set from the 80s. Imagine how unwieldy and unappealing D&D would be if 2nd edition continued until the current day, but with 30 years of splatbooks, optional rules, and other material accreted on its surface? That's what happened to BT and it is poorly-balanced and its original design goals have been long-since lost. They need to revisit first principles and design a new fun game from the ground up. The current game doesn't appeal to new players.

So what we are saddled with is a dwindling playerbase resistant to change. That is why they need to risk radically changing it - the current playerbase is insufficient to support a successful product and is shrinking over time. If they continue supporting BattleTech as-is, the product line will slowly die. Their pivot to Dragonfall and other avenues is a tacit acknowledgment of this. Alpha Strike is a step in the right direction, but just bifurcates the player base further. They don't fully support it and time is split between that and BT products.

They need to ignore the remnants of their old tabletop fan base, and roll out something that looks and feels like X-Wing, with that range of customization options and quality of manufacture, and is collectible for people who would not otherwise paint their own miniatures. CGL will never do that though - the best hope we have of a professional, modern product coming out is Fantasy Flight or someone like them taking over when Catalyst finally fails or gives up on BT. Jordan Weisman is sensibly sidestepping this whole problem by modernizing the game in the PC adaptation. That he's staying away from redeveloping tabletop is a telling state of the market for tabletop BT products.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Oh yeah they are in desperate need of a clean slate . I mean I've been a big 40k fan for years, I'm no stranger to crazy tabletop wargame rules, but I look at BT and I'm like, "Nope."

In the mean time BT to me means video games and I continually forget that it is a tabletop game.

On a related note: 8th Edition for 40k has been amazingly successful for GW and 40k fans in general. Sure some grognards grumble, but the number of new and former players that 8th Edition has brought in has been amazing. I'd loved to see the same happen to BT.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Interesting Halloween event going on. The normal grab bags, but if you open 150 of them you get a free mech (Hunchback or Stormcrow, both with C-Bill bonus). The catch is that you can only open 100 from Quick Play and 50 from Faction Warfare. On the other hand you do get 25 free bags from buying mech packs that goes towards the 150 total. So if you buy the Piranha and the November 1st mech you have 50 and never have to step foot into FW to get the free mech.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Faction Warfare only takes twice as long as Quick Play? And they've also divided it up into 7 buckets? PGI, please. Maybe if Scouting is included in that you could get it done in around the same time as the Quick Play matches.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    But scouting is enjoyable for IS pilots and doesn't feed the Clan egos, so it cannot be included in any of the events.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Buttcleft on
  • Options
    But scouting is enjoyable for IS pilots and doesn't feed the Clan egos, so it cannot be included in any of the events.

Only because they banned ONE clan mech. RIP Stormcrows.
    Buttcleft wrote: »

I'm sorry, did you say something?

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Sorry for a question that is probably repeatedly asked, but I wasn't able to figure out the current answer. When are non-fancy backers expecting to get access to the Battletech game? Still in the first couple quarters of '18?

What is this I don't even.
This discussion has been closed.