As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MechWarrior/BATTLETECH] THREAD DESIGNATED FOR DISASSEMBLY, SEE NEW THREAD

• Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Four kills, 1k damage. Yep, still got it.

5 AC Mauler does work and I haven't even messed with the skill tree ^_^

Get those velocity bonuses. AC5's with 10% more velocity are super nice. Here's my Autocannon Weapon Tree layout: https://kitlaan.gitlab.io/mwoskill/?p=ce55545e-5778-11e7-ae4c-cf83c97bd557&s=Weapons

You can save another 7 points if you don't want the bonus ammo. It takes an extra 9 points to get most of the cooldown nodes.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    always take the ammo bonus, imho.

with a standard build, it increases your staying power over the course of the fight.

with a modified build, it lets you remove a 1-3 tons of ammo, while keeping roughly the same number of shots, freeing up tonnage for lasers/heatsinks.

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    always take the ammo bonus, imho.

with a standard build, it increases your staying power over the course of the fight.

with a modified build, it lets you remove a 1-3 tons of ammo, while keeping roughly the same number of shots, freeing up tonnage for lasers/heatsinks.

The best part about lowering your ammo is you don't have to start tucking it in every random crevice of the mech. Without CASE, you fill the legs and head with 5 tons, then the CT gives you 7 tons max. That's only 49 rounds, or 24 shots for a dual AC20 build. If you're carrying SRM ammo as well, you run out of good places fast, especially when you've stripped armor off your arms. My Victor build actually runs out of space before weight with an XL and Endo.

• Options
    I wouldnt put ammo in the CT, its too easy to hit.

• Options
    I wouldnt put ammo in the CT, its too easy to hit.

Your CT is crit padded with a 4 gyro and 6 engine slots. Hits only have a 16% chance of striking ammo (8% for one ton) in your CT, and all that is behind the best armor on your mech. Plus, that's if there's any left. After using up any ammo in your head, your CT ammo gets used next. For ammo hungry builds its almost never an issue.

• Options
    @Nips coming to mech night?

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    New BT backer email. No beta MP in June, but sounds like things are coming along

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Yeah but I love these new updates.
    This update fixes several stability issues and allows more players on lower-end machines to play the game (Huzzah!).
    There’s a ton of stuff going on in the game’s development beyond the work we’ve done on the beta and multiplayer update.
    All the story missions in the game have been designed and implemented and each one contains placeholder voices so we can hear how the story is working before we bring in professional actors.
    All the story cinematics have been written & storyboarded and placeholder voices have been recorded so we can work on the timing of each shot.
    All story conversations with your mercenary crew aboard the Argo have been written and are ready to put into the game.
    All open-ended mission types have been designed and implemented across a large variety of biomes and maps.
    Every room and every character in the Argo has been designed and 3D modeled and the majority are fully lit and textured in the game.
    And last but DEFINITELY not least, we hit a major milestone on the project and were able to play the mercenary simulation core game loop for the first time. That means traveling to a system, navigating crew events aboard the Argo, choosing and accepting a contract, managing your reputation, purchasing equipment, using the MechLab, hiring new MechWarriors, simulating the outcome of the mission (from complete failure to complete success), getting paid, and taking salvage.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    I swear when this game releases I'm going to get about 3 hours of sleep a night for the first month.

I kinda wish there was something where you get a pilot to join who brings his own mech and you can't swap him out. Or maybe a feature where a pilot is better in a certain chassis and performs worse in an unfamiliar ride. I know they have preferences, but I'm not sure where that's leading.

What I'm getting at is I feel like mech warriors should be the fighter jocks of the universe with little cursive names painted outside the cockpit and not just tossed in any old ride.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Has there ever even been a Battletech videogame which worried about anything but the mechs and shooting?

Because I've been playing Mechwarrior games since MW2, and I can't think of one.

Really looking forward to a Battletech game with some meat to it, story- and character-wise.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Nope, your pilots always adjusted to whatever trashheap you put them into.

That said, when playing MWO, you can't tell me you didn't prefer a certain mech to another or grok something someone else knew how to pilot like a leaf on the wind.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    @Nips coming to mech night?

As should be pretty evident, I was not around. I was intending to be on, but then life got in the way.

I'm getting that itch, though, so tomorrow I think I'm going to skill up some of my stable and be ready for when Ze Wifen is out of town early next week.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    And last but DEFINITELY not least, we hit a major milestone on the project and were able to play the mercenary simulation core game loop for the first time. That means traveling to a system, navigating crew events aboard the Argo, choosing and accepting a contract, managing your reputation, purchasing equipment, using the MechLab, hiring new MechWarriors, simulating the outcome of the mission (from complete failure to complete success), getting paid, and taking salvage.

Mother trucking yes. Gimme dat sweet paperwork!

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Has there ever even been a Battletech videogame which worried about anything but the mechs and shooting?

Because I've been playing Mechwarrior games since MW2, and I can't think of one.

Really looking forward to a Battletech game with some meat to it, story- and character-wise.

At the risk of sounding one note, there were piloting & gunnery skills for your crew in Battletech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception, but those skills largely just dictated if a member of your crew could pilot mechs at all.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »

At the risk of sounding one note, there were piloting & gunnery skills for your crew in Battletech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception, but those skills largely just dictated if a member of your crew could pilot mechs at all.

Is there a way to play TCHI and TCHR on modern hardware? I'm thinking I might start some Let's Play series of the older games, once I've wrung every ounce out of this Beta.

• Options
    Nips wrote: »

Is there a way to play TCHI and TCHR on modern hardware? I'm thinking I might start some Let's Play series of the older games, once I've wrung every ounce out of this Beta.

I'm sure there is using DosBOX since I have them running on my phone.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    If I wanted to play my D-DC Reaper, what would I want to skill?

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Infidel wrote: »

Normally I'd say the Weapons Tree, the one with cool running, and Survival, but you know.... I'm now wondering how well the Assaults need the torso twist speeds from the Mobility Tree instead of more armor.

Edit: Nevermind me, forgot the torso twist is not linked to the engine.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular

I can't quite parse if you mean
    "Is there a game in the mechwarrior universe that doesn't involve piloting a mech"
    or "is there a game that has a respectable amount of content that isn't purely action sequences in a mech"

I think the answer to the first is probably no
    The second depends. MW4 had some decent campaign stuff. Several titles have some garage / pilot / resource management.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »

Note, that I HAVE NOT TESTED THIS YET. But this is what I came up with a few days ago and plan to try out this weekend:

https://tarogato-mwo.github.io/mwo_skill_planner/?d46ba03d-56b2-11e7-ae4c-d3d02fd6126d

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I have created a Discord channel dedicated to us for PA MWO and BT follow the link for invite to the channel: https://discord.gg/dpbeXd2

This way, we can use the bat signal '@everyone' etc without bothering people that don't play these.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Here is a pretty good all purpose Skill Tree build:
    https://tarogato-mwo.github.io/mwo_skill_planner/?4e0857e8-57c6-11e7-ae4c-ed0750ce1880

Maxes out your:
    Weapons - Cooldown, Range, Heat Generation
    Operations - Cool Running, Heat Containment, Hill Climbing, Screen Shake Reduction
    Survival - Focused on armor & structure quirks, wasting as few points as possible on the rest
    Mobility - focused on Acceleration / Deceleration and Turning

Tweak Weapons / Mobility / Survival to taste.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    If you don't care as much about grinding cbills, I recommend putting some points into the auxiliary tree to upgrade your UAV's. UAV's can be very influential to the outcome of a match, and the ability to carry two of them is pretty nice. You can earn some serious points from one button press if one manages to stay alive for its full upgraded duration.

I outfitted my shadowcat with 2x UAV's and 2x artillery strikes. I enjoyed calling in all those consumables. It dramatically eats into match profits though. It is extremely rare for an artillery strike to earn enough cbills to offset its cost. You can put some SERIOUS hurt on an inattentive stationary mech by calling one down just immediately behind it when you have the radius reduction upgrade.

edit:
    I took out a centurion from ~90% health to dead with one artillery strike at ~1:50 here. Regrettably I was busy shooting down a UAV and didn't get to watch the explosions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av1KwrsZ0kc&feature=youtu.be

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    In today's BATTLETECH in the Morning: I fire all ze boolets.

In a very special episode of Punch Club, I mount Machine Guns for great justice!

https://youtu.be/ytIqXTNqabY

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular

I loved Crescent Hawk's Inception. Learning I could escape with a Chameleon at the beginning of the game was revelatory.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    This update fixes several stability issues and allows more players on lower-end machines to play the game (Huzzah!).
    There’s a ton of stuff going on in the game’s development beyond the work we’ve done on the beta and multiplayer update.
    All the story missions in the game have been designed and implemented and each one contains placeholder voices so we can hear how the story is working before we bring in professional actors.
    All the story cinematics have been written & storyboarded and placeholder voices have been recorded so we can work on the timing of each shot.
    All story conversations with your mercenary crew aboard the Argo have been written and are ready to put into the game.
    All open-ended mission types have been designed and implemented across a large variety of biomes and maps.
    Every room and every character in the Argo has been designed and 3D modeled and the majority are fully lit and textured in the game.

Screw this "game progress" nonsense, where is the rest of the Stackpole novel?

• Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

Screw this "game progress" nonsense, where is the rest of the Stackpole novel?

Strangely I put enough money to get to the novella level because I was hoping to read it. Now that 2/5 is out, I have yet to start reading.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Move over HBS, indie devs have beaten you to the ultimate Battletech RPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpcvXeC-NTY

• Options
    I added @Gnome-Interruptus 's Discord link to the OP, in case anyone ever needs to get directed to it.

• Options
    Move over HBS, indie devs have beaten you to the ultimate Battletech RPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpcvXeC-NTY

Nope. Nope, I'm done. Goodbye internet.

• Options
    Here is a pretty good all purpose Skill Tree build:
    https://tarogato-mwo.github.io/mwo_skill_planner/?4e0857e8-57c6-11e7-ae4c-ed0750ce1880

Maxes out your:
    Weapons - Cooldown, Range, Heat Generation
    Operations - Cool Running, Heat Containment, Hill Climbing, Screen Shake Reduction
    Survival - Focused on armor & structure quirks, wasting as few points as possible on the rest
    Mobility - focused on Acceleration / Deceleration and Turning

Tweak Weapons / Mobility / Survival to taste.

I'd just like to thank you for this. It helped me get a jump-start on skill'ing up a handful of 'Mechs. So many more to skill up....

• Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    So. Uh. Things appear to have changed between when I last logged in. There are skill trees now? And uh, a strange variety of skill points and things and well. I don't rightly know what to do with any of it. Could someone point me in a direction that would help me understand what in the hell is going on? I'd be much obliged.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the skill tree looks a lot more complicated than it is; you use skill points to unlock nodes, and then once they're unlocked the first time you can deactivate or reactivate them by spending exp. If you click 'add SP' in the upper right you'll see how to convert exp into skill points (or if you previously learned skills on the mech you'll have 'historic' skill points banked.)

the tree itself is fairly straightforward; focus on getting to either the laser duration traits (laser mechs) or the relevant missile/ballistic traits, and get whatever seems good along the way. Spend enough in mobility to get all the speed tweak nodes, then assign whatever's left over to operations, sensors or survival as seems appropriate

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    3lwap0 wrote: »
    So. Uh. Things appear to have changed between when I last logged in. There are skill trees now? And uh, a strange variety of skill points and things and well. I don't rightly know what to do with any of it. Could someone point me in a direction that would help me understand what in the hell is going on? I'd be much obliged.

Basically, any old progress you earned previously can be converted over to the new skill tree. By the time you're done, you'll select 91 nodes on the new skill tree to completely "level up" your chassis, using a combination of all that old progress.

If you want to get one of your previously-Elited chassis up to speed, here's the short way to get it there:
    1. Select the 'Mech in the Mechlab
    2. Click on the Skills tab on the left side of the screen.
    3. First, get your old progress converted over. At the top right of the Skill screen, you should see a floating window. Click the "ADD SP" button. This will bring up a popup.
    4. On the left hand side of this popup, click "Use Available Skill Points".
    5. If the 'Mech you selected was previously Elited, you should see 91 points available on the line "Historical Skill Points". Drag the slider all the way to the right to convert this over*. If you don't, you can convert Historic General Skill Points (which convert 1:1 to 'Mech-specific Skill Points) or spend XP, GXP, or Historic XP with C-bills into SP's (this is the right-hand side of the pop-up; play around with it, and you'll get the idea).
    6. Once you have the 91 SP to spend, you make selections on the various trees to spend your points on skill nodes, 1 SP per node. @Gnome-Interruptus provided a good, general-use set of skill trees up above.

Bingo bango, you're good to go. If you want to see where and what you have progress waiting to be allocated from, you can click on the "View Ledger" button of the floating window in the Skill Tree view.

*It is possible to have more than 91 Historic SP available for a given chassis variant. This is because you owned more than one copy of it, and had that variant's old skill tree Mastered or Elited out. For instance, I went to skill up an old Jenner JR7-F, and it turns out I own two. Because I had Elited it, I had 182 Historic Skill Points to allocate. This way, I can use just Historic progress to get both copies of my JR7-F up to their full 91 SP build.

• Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    Right. Thanks for the help lads. I think i'm sorted.

So, I took a couple of mechs out for a walk. Uh. Didn't do so great - my JMT-S with 3 AC/5's underperformed. Somehow I lost my super zoomy thingy I think? Honestly, not sure what to make of it. Didn't matter for much - I didn't feel like it was putting out the AC/5 hate from last time, seemed slower firing? Are quirks still a thing?

My Swayback didn't fare so well either. Ran into a Nova who just casually shot off my right torso and then ignored me. That one hurt a bit. :(

• Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Caught a bit of that town hall thing PGI did.

It seems we'll be getting a look at the new tech on the PTS, and some kind of Solaris mode in the future.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    In today's BATTLETECH video, I attempt to leverage the Wombo Combo (Knockdowns+Headshots) to punch way above my weight.

I fail miserably.

https://youtu.be/mAZSGM-CodY

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    not trying to poach players, but I do remember a bunch of Oosiks were also interested in Gigantic before their development hell with Microsoft kicked in.
    So I'll bat signal them from here.

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/192200/gigantic-its-actually-a-fucking-moba

tldr; Gigantic is in Open Beta right now on Arc, but on July 20th, it will be on Steam and very playable together on Windows XP, Vista, Win 10.
    Xbox1 might be playing with them too. Sorry PS4, no dice.

Here's a pick of HK-206 to keep within the stompy robits of this thread.
    HK206.jpg?1468381244

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    In today's BATTLETECH video, I attempt to leverage the Wombo Combo (Knockdowns+Headshots) to punch way above my weight.

I fail miserably.

but the official forums assure me that failing at this is impossible!

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

I fail miserably.

but the official forums assure me that failing at this is impossible!

I am, if nothing else, a commensurate failure at tactics and strategy. So clearly this one was on me, and not RNG screwing me at every opportunity. Nope!

This discussion has been closed.