As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Project Offset: Man What?

ElectricBoogalooElectricBoogaloo Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
So apparently this is a project being worked on by the people who brought us Savage. Project offset is a working title.

It's a Fantasy based FPS. You can read more about the game at http://www.projectoffset.com/

project_offset_qjpreviewth.jpg

projectoffset4gr.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

7699.jpg

The video trailers available for it are breathtaking to say the least.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw_QBGUYmy0

I believe they have higher res videos available on their page but It's blocked form my work.

From the forums you get a link to the following: http://www.projectoffset.com/astormiscoming/

It is believed that the Bar is counting unique page views and once it reaches a preset amount something should happen. At the bottom of the page is a string of binary that translates into: AnmroyYd.p.YdabtoUrpD.nlcbi! - Esp. Warsaw and SkateHead

I believe the first part is either a cypher or an anagram. I can't figure it out. The last part after the - is the name of a forum mod, probably 2 so probably not part of the anagram as a whole.

I would add some Screenshots but again, blocked from work.

I want this game.

camo_sig2.png
ElectricBoogaloo on

• Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You just heard about this now?

I wonder when it's going to be finished.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I remember seeing it a while ago but I waved it off as vapor ware because there wasn't really anything going on with it and it looked to good to be true.

Also my friend just informed me that the anagram is not an anagram it's typed out on a dvorak keyboard as if it was a normal keyboard. It says simply Almost There Thanks For Helping.

ElectricBoogaloo on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The problem is, when this was first announced, the graphics were amazing and revolutionary. Something to look forward to and make people say "Is that a shovel in your pants or are you just happy to see Project Offset?".

Now, though, and when it is released, the graphics are/will be about the right level for all of the competing games. Which kind of sucks.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Their motion blur is still impressive.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    GSM wrote: »
    Their motion blur is still impressive.

Yeah, with those luminous particles it looks A++

The PA guys should put that kink on the front page, I'd like to see more current pics.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The graphics are still amazing to me. They look real, like Warhammer models.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The motion blur doesn't appear to really be that much post-process. It's more like they're rendering multiple frames for things that move fast, and then blurring them together, or changing texturemaps, or something. What I've seen is very impressive.

GSM on
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    GSM: Your sig is broked. It turns the minute at the 58 second mark.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    Krunch XPKrunch XP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Centipeed wrote: »

It's just an animated gif.
    Not an actual clock.

Krunch XP on
  • Options
    devolvedevolve Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    the fact that they're still looking for a publisher tells me this might still be more vaporware than it appears.

devolve on
    detriot.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    devolve wrote: »
    the fact that they're still looking for a publisher tells me this might still be more vaporware than it appears.

They found a publisher.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Any word on who it is?
    I just read on their forums that several where interested but that's it.

ElectricBoogaloo on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    According to their latest news post they have a publisher but haven't announced who it is yet.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    rayofash wrote: »

They found a publisher.

As far as I'm concerned if they aren't naming the name, then they don't have a publisher. Sure, maybe uncle larry has bought in and gave them a ton of dough, but that isn't a publisher.

Please, tell me of any publisher out there who wouldn't be named if they snatched up a project like this if it WASN'T vaporware?

This is like me telling you that I have a cure for cancer in my bedroom, but I'm not going to tell you how I came to get it, or how to use it, or let alone use it at all.

Or better yet, it's like those 7 guys who SWEAR they saw the golden plates of moroni before they went up to heaven, and started a whole friggin religion that wears magical underwear and thinks they'll be gods in the afterlife.

If there aren't pudding, there isn't proof.

So far these guys have pretty assets, apparently a nifty engine, and no game in sight. their page reads off like a gamers wish list of nifty shit they'd put into their game, if they ever made one. You know, the kind of list you make before you realize how difficult that shit is actually to implement. It's a company made up of Peter Molyneux clones.

devolve on
    detriot.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It's a company made up of Peter Molyneux clones.

That was actually my first thought upon reading the game info. I'm all "Man is this lionhead?"

ElectricBoogaloo on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It's a company made up of Peter Molyneux clones.

That was actually my first thought upon reading the game info. I'm all "Man is this lionhead?"

I read the game info and thought of the Might and Magic series. They're saying they want to make an RPG, not to implement natural environment growth and the ability to shoot an arrow and leave it there throughout the whole game.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    And then you punch a kid in the face and give him a scar then you come back later and he is grown up and he doesn't like you man.

ElectricBoogaloo on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    muimui Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

They found a publisher.

As far as I'm concerned if they aren't naming the name, then they don't have a publisher. Sure, maybe uncle larry has bought in and gave them a ton of dough, but that isn't a publisher.

Please, tell me of any publisher out there who wouldn't be named if they snatched up a project like this if it WASN'T vaporware?

This is like me telling you that I have a cure for cancer in my bedroom, but I'm not going to tell you how I came to get it, or how to use it, or let alone use it at all.

Or better yet, it's like those 7 guys who SWEAR they saw the golden plates of moroni before they went up to heaven, and started a whole friggin religion that wears magical underwear and thinks they'll be gods in the afterlife.

So far these guys have pretty assets, apparently a nifty engine, and no game in sight. their page reads off like a gamers wish list of nifty shit they'd put into their game, if they ever made one. You know, the kind of list you make before you realize how difficult that shit is actually to implement. It's a company made up of Peter Molyneux clones.

They have a publisher. I can guarantee that.
    I can't give you any more info though unfortunately.

mui on
    you've read it now - you can't unread it
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm glad they have a publisher. I hope it's a good one so the game can actually become what it should. I really am looking forward to this title a lot. The last good Fantisy FPS I played was Rune and man that was back in 2001.

ElectricBoogaloo on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited April 2007

They found a publisher.

ninja theory weren't allowed to announce that heavenly sword was being published by sony for several months (until E3) even though they mentioned they had found one much earlier...could be similar?

bongi on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Maybe it's Blizzard hehe.

ElectricBoogaloo on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    mui wrote: »

They found a publisher.

Yeah.

And ownage jones works as a game developer. Even though he can't say which company, what type of game he's working on, what he even DOES, and never is involved in any sort of 'tech speak' that happens on the site........almost as if he doesn't work for a developer.

Basically, until I'm given a reason to believe what you're telling me, I call bullshit. there's nothing there that tells me they have a publisher, and just because you say so doesn't mean I should believe you.

*If* they have a publisher, the only reason they'd be kept quiet is because they need to hit certain milestones to even prove that this property is worth it. They need proof of concept. they need the actual beginings of a game. Which is pretty damn close to not having a publisher at all. It's like me signing a conditional contract that I'll buy a million hydrogen fueled cars, provided that you can get me a production ready car in the next five years.

it's a "Ante up and we'll play" agreement.

devolve on
    detriot.png
  • Options
    muimui Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    mui wrote: »

They found a publisher.

Yeah.

And ownage jones works as a game developer. Even though he can't say which company, what type of game he's working on, what he even DOES, and never is involved in any sort of 'tech speak' that happens on the site........almost as if he doesn't work for a developer.

Basically, until I'm given a reason to believe what you're telling me, I call bullshit. there's nothing there that tells me they have a publisher, and just because you say so doesn't mean I should believe you.

*If* they have a publisher, the only reason they'd be kept quiet is because they need to hit certain milestones to even prove that this property is worth it. They need proof of concept. they need the actual beginings of a game. Which is pretty damn close to not having a publisher at all. It's like me signing a conditional contract that I'll buy a million hydrogen fueled cars, provided that you can get me a production ready car in the next five years.

it's a "Ante up and we'll play" agreement.

I don't really care if you don't believe me, I was just trying to help.
    There's no real proof I can give you unless I spill a whole bunch of stuff that I'm not supposed to, so you can call bullshit if it will help you sleep at night.

mui on
    you've read it now - you can't unread it
  • Options
    strike_the_tripstrike_the_trip Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think the OP should switch the http://www.projectoffset.com/astormiscoming/ link to the top so more people click it instead of skim over it.

strike_the_trip on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Krunch XP wrote: »
    Centipeed wrote: »

It's just an animated gif.
    Not an actual clock.

It's three gifs, two of which are animated. And the reason it turns at the 58 second mark for you is because one loaded two seconds before the other.

Does anybody think the filenames of the two pictures could be part of/keys to the cypher?

http://www.projectoffset.com/images/teaser_6EyarADR.jpg
    http://www.projectoffset.com/images/teaser_Jeya8JKL.jpg

http://www.projectoffset.com/images/teaser_spUSWe76.jpg
    http://www.projectoffset.com/images/teaser_k7pHUthA.jpg

GSM on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The cypher is a message typed in Dvorak on a Qwerty keyboard or vice versa. I can't remember what it says but it's nothing substantial.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Ah, it says "AlmostThereThanksForHelping!"

That's pretty useless...

And the filenames using the same conversion say nothing. Whoop.

GSM on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Welcome back to the first page of G&T.

Trailer for Project Offset.

"Squad based multiplayer".. Battlefield 1092?

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Holy shit graphics

bruin on
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That new trailer is fucking awesome

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Heh, according the a thread on the Offical forums the footage was leaked and the Devs were going to release an offical video but now won't.

Whoops.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That trailer was awful.

I mean, as far as editing is concerned.

Game looks promising :^:

rayofash on