As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

stone, bronze, and iron [chat]

1939495969799»

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Gooey wrote: »
    i got ghosted one time p hard, that was weird

i was in college and i met this girl through a friend of a friend. she was cute and we had a lot in common. we were super casual about it, nothing serious. we would see each other at the bar and chat it up a bit, but we never went home together or anything.

anyway this big music festival was coming up and it's the sort of thing where you camp out and drink your face off

and on the big night where the headliners were playing we were sitting in our little group area next to our tent and having a good time laughing and whatnot, and she showed up. we sort of both talked about how we had been looking for the other and were just hanging out having a good time.

at one point she grabbed me by the hand and led me up to the crowd watching whoever was performing, and i looked at her and we kissed. then her friend came up and said something in her ear, and she said to me she would be right back (i assume). I couldn't hear her because the music was so loud, but she kind of motioned for me to stay and that she would be right back.

and so i stood there, by myself, for the entire set, before i realized she wasn't coming back.

i never saw her again. she blocked me on facebook and aim, wouldn't answer my phonecalls. the friend of my friend didn't even know what happened.

I assumed this would end in some incredibly understated ghost pun because it was a gooey post

I was not emotionally prepared for the ending

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    speaking of they just came by to tell me I missed my cert date for microsoft's 697+698 and I have until the end of the year to get it, but I don't get a bonus for it now, it's just required

the pretests for this thing kicked my butt on CBT nuggets

I don't wannaaaaa learn powershell

override367 on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    speaking of they just came by to tell me I missed my cert date for microsoft's 697+698 and I have until the end of the year to get it, but I don't get a bonus for it now, it's just required

the pretests for this thing kicked my butt on CBT nuggets

I don't wannaaaaa learn powershell

Gypsy curse in full force.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I hate when you ask how someone's doing and they give you a real assessment on it. You feel trapped because you asked the question thus damning you to hear about how their mother in law hates olives and this restaurant said no olives...

You shouldn't have asked. I wish nobody would ever ask that again.

When its pay day, I like to go directly home because I have direct deposit. to the bank and deposit at the teller line, because my bank's branch near my office is really swanky. But they have a receptionist who will ask "how are you?" and it is the worst. I know where I'm going. We don't need to make this a small talk encounter.

All my banking is done online. I have to go to my bank, like, once every couple of years when I need to discuss mortgage/investments/credit/whatever.

Or when an elderly relative gives you a cheque
    Mobile deposit.

I got a drawer full of reimbursement checks with dicks drawn on them to void the check.

That doesn't exist in Europe because old people are the only source of cheques. I see one every couple of years.
    I see, my company does direct deposit, except for reimbursement checks, because payroll is partially automated, and they don't want Project Managers gaming the system so they make sure that all reimbursements are reviewed, hand cut and signed by accounting and a VP.

Mine gets approval from my boss, then accounting but they automate it through concur so I get direct deposit. They do it on Wednesdays and Fridays.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Kruite wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    dmuzqh5g83vs.jpg

breakfast: cinnamon roll, cortado, communism

Well now you have to share that cinnamon roll with chat

Also the communism. Which Miéville book is that?

October. It's really enjoyable! I normally wouldn't read non-fiction, but he does tell it in a very story-like way, and the subject is of course of great interest.

This book is real good and I'm only halfway through the first chapter but so far there's close to enough parallels between the US today that you could almost swap out the names and have nearly the same actors.

I don't think there are many parallels between tsarist underdeveloped russia with 0 industrial base and a particular political history and modern day us. But it's a very good read and interesting topic.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    why the shit would you go camping with a toddler

Because camping is awesome and fun?

I mean

it is

but camping with a cranky toddler is like trying to survive a zombie apocalypse with a bum leg

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I hate when you ask how someone's doing and they give you a real assessment on it. You feel trapped because you asked the question thus damning you to hear about how their mother in law hates olives and this restaurant said no olives...

When its pay day, I like to go directly home because I have direct deposit. to the bank and deposit at the teller line, because my bank's branch near my office is really swanky. But they have a receptionist who will ask "how are you?" and it is the worst. I know where I'm going. We don't need to make this a small talk encounter.

All my banking is done online. I have to go to my bank, like, once every couple of years when I need to discuss mortgage/investments/credit/whatever.

Mobile deposit.

I got a drawer full of reimbursement checks with dicks drawn on them to void the check.

That doesn't exist in Europe because old people are the only source of cheques. I see one every couple of years.
    I see, my company does direct deposit, except for reimbursement checks, because payroll is partially automated, and they don't want Project Managers gaming the system so they make sure that all reimbursements are reviewed, hand cut and signed by accounting and a VP.

Mine gets approval from my boss, then accounting but they automate it through concur so I get direct deposit. They do it on Wednesdays and Fridays.
    I think the owner is concerned about collusion between managers and accounting.

I mean it is a legit concern I have seen managers collude with book keepers on reimbursements.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

Mobile deposit.

I audited a place last week that still paid their invoices with cheques

This was annoying because accountancy courses now really only teach bank reconciliation for uncleared cheques as a purely theoretical exercise

I had to go and get a literal textbook

• Options
    IT certifications are a scam.

Having taken the A+ recently I feel like it's actually a pretty good help desk cert

It has a garbage reputation, and it was pretty easy for me because I've been computering for a while, but if I saw someone was a fresh grad and was hiring for help desk I'd put an A+ candidate over a not A+ candidate for sure

It covers things like setting up e-mail on cell phones with interactive scenarios, or clearing the print queue when its stuck

Certs are a scam if you think they're going to change your life

Certs are worth it if you understand them as tiebreakers, proof-of-trainibility kind of things. A nice set of certs sets off a decent resume as less likely to be embellished. Where they've specifically been of use to me is fall back on to render my niche experience portable.

Also a cert ins't a cert isn't a cert. The OSCP is not a scam, for example, it's hard as fuck to get and definitely gets you interviewed

My current employer hangs everyone's certs up in the lobby and values them waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay above college

like an A+ and Net+ with HSED is worth more to them than a bachelors in MIS or an associates in Network Support or something

how I know your employer is garbage

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Brother didn't get back to me, which meant I couldn't book time off or the ferries I meant to. Harrumph.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Gooey wrote: »
    i got ghosted one time p hard, that was weird

i was in college and i met this girl through a friend of a friend. she was cute and we had a lot in common. we were super casual about it, nothing serious. we would see each other at the bar and chat it up a bit, but we never went home together or anything.

anyway this big music festival was coming up and it's the sort of thing where you camp out and drink your face off

and on the big night where the headliners were playing we were sitting in our little group area next to our tent and having a good time laughing and whatnot, and she showed up. we sort of both talked about how we had been looking for the other and were just hanging out having a good time.

at one point she grabbed me by the hand and led me up to the crowd watching whoever was performing, and i looked at her and we kissed. then her friend came up and said something in her ear, and she said to me she would be right back (i assume). I couldn't hear her because the music was so loud, but she kind of motioned for me to stay and that she would be right back.

and so i stood there, by myself, for the entire set, before i realized she wasn't coming back.

i never saw her again. she blocked me on facebook and aim, wouldn't answer my phonecalls. the friend of my friend didn't even know what happened.

I assumed this would end in some incredibly understated ghost pun because it was a gooey post

I was not emotionally prepared for the ending

Tissues for your sad T-rex tears

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options

Having taken the A+ recently I feel like it's actually a pretty good help desk cert

It has a garbage reputation, and it was pretty easy for me because I've been computering for a while, but if I saw someone was a fresh grad and was hiring for help desk I'd put an A+ candidate over a not A+ candidate for sure

It covers things like setting up e-mail on cell phones with interactive scenarios, or clearing the print queue when its stuck

Certs are worth it if you understand them as tiebreakers, proof-of-trainibility kind of things. A nice set of certs sets off a decent resume as less likely to be embellished. Where they've specifically been of use to me is fall back on to render my niche experience portable.

Also a cert ins't a cert isn't a cert. The OSCP is not a scam, for example, it's hard as fuck to get and definitely gets you interviewed

My current employer hangs everyone's certs up in the lobby and values them waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay above college

like an A+ and Net+ with HSED is worth more to them than a bachelors in MIS or an associates in Network Support or something

how I know her employer doesn't have a real degree.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Our expenses system is a giant bowl of pound coins in the middle of the office. You just go and scoop out what you're owed and post the receipts in a little box

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Mobile deposit.

I mean it is a legit concern I have seen managers collude with book keepers on reimbursements.

Jesus. That's not an issue for us. How tight is your reimbursement policies? I assume most of it is for travel.

• Options
    japan wrote: »

Mobile deposit.

This was annoying because accountancy courses now really only teach bank reconciliation for uncleared cheques as a purely theoretical exercise

My buddy works for a company that has a literal double ledger.

It balances to the penny.

I used to work there. 120 employees. All record keeping and payroll done by hand.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Mobile deposit.

You can probably get an article published in a trade magazine for that kind of thing

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular

Mobile deposit.

Get gud! Deposits in transit and testing the completeness and cutoff of the outstanding check list is still important!!

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    FsdJFPsl.jpg

Were we posting dogs?

This is Madison playing with his best buddy Rex the basset who is on his back in surrender.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

I mean

it is

but camping with a cranky toddler is like trying to survive a zombie apocalypse with a bum leg

Counter point, exposing kids to new and challenging environments from the get-go will make them cooler and easier-to-get-along-with people

also, turning a toddler loose on nature or taking them for a walk in the woods leads to a toddler sleeping the whole way home, so

• Options
    Our expenses system is a giant bowl of pound coins in the middle of the office. You just go and scoop out what you're owed and post the receipts in a little box

I guarantee that there is some poor person in your finance department whose job it is to count that thing

• Options

Mobile deposit.

Jesus. That's not an issue for us. How tight is your reimbursement policies? I assume most of it is for travel.
    Apparently we spent half a million dollars on travel reimbursement the year before I came to the company.

And only 7 employees do heavy traveling, 5 of us do light travel (me included).

Honestly though I think it was all legit, but when a P&L statement shows that, it sends up a red flag.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »

I mean

it is

Counter point, exposing kids to new and challenging environments from the get-go will make them cooler and easier-to-get-along-with people

also, turning a toddler loose on nature or taking them for a walk in the woods leads to a toddler sleeping the whole way home, so

That last part is not my experience with my one and a half year old. I get tired, he gets energy. Like some kind of vampire.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Well, the CIO is

he is absolutely garbage

The head of MIT services knows his shit backwards and forwards and the only certs he cares about are the ones that get us discounts, but unfortunately the help desk (still) falls under the banner of the CIO somewhat

our field network engineers are direct hired by the head of MIT

It's why internal IT and our MIT help desk pays 30-40k in salary but all the MIT direct hires are minimum 70k (the lady that manages the MIT ticketing system makes that much, I could definitely do her job, granted if I wanted to work more than 40 hour weeks), because the partner that runs that knows what you're supposed to pay people to not have crazy turnover

override367 on
  • Options
    tyrannus wrote: »

Mobile deposit.

Get gud! Deposits in transit and testing the completeness and cutoff of the outstanding check list is still important!!

It is literally the first place i have worked that doesn't use same day transfers for everything (albeit i have only been doing this for a little over a year)

• Options

Well, the CIO is

he is absolutely garbage

The head of MIT services knows his shit backwards and forwards and the only certs he cares about are the ones that get us discounts, but unfortunately the help desk (still) falls under the banner of the CIO somewhat

our field network engineers are direct hired by the head of MIT

It's why internal IT and our MIT help desk pays 30-40k in salary but all the MIT direct hires are minimum 70k (the lady that manages the MIT ticketing system makes that much, I could definitely do her job, granted if I wanted to work more than 40 hour weeks), because the partner that runs that knows what you're supposed to pay people to not have crazy turnover

How does the CEO not do an internal audit on their departments to figure out why one department has higher churn and burn over another?

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Things our CIO cares about: Having monitors everywhere displaying things like power outages, virus reports, scrolling tech news like we're fucking starfleet command, making it every employee's responsibility to keep the toner cartridges current, spending at least 30 minutes a day going through employee browser history looking for VIOLATIONS OF CORPORATE POLICY, All help desks at every location MUST be at least 50% glass walled so we can show our Command Centers to our clients, and hanging every goddamned accolade every tech/engineer has onto the wall

override367 on
  • Options

Mobile deposit.

Apparently we spent half a million dollars on travel reimbursement the year before I came to the company.

And only 7 employees do heavy traveling, 5 of us do light travel (me included).

Honestly though I think it was all legit, but when a P&L statement shows that, it sends up a red flag.

Eh, if those 7 are doing 35 weeks a year travel then that works out to 2k a trip. Which is about what my expenses from most trips look like.

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »

I mean

it is

That last part is not my experience with my one and a half year old. I get tired, he gets energy. Like some kind of vampire.

I've never met a toddler that calmed down exploring nature.

At least not one that wasn't being dosed with benadryl already.

My friends that try to bring their kid just ends up being with a screaming <= 3 year old.

Once they actually have a personality and grow up, that seems to change. And if they enjoy camping and aren't being forced into it by their parents, you can tell.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Things our CIO cares about: Having monitors everywhere displaying things like power outages, virus reports, scrolling tech news like we're fucking starfleet command, making it every employee's responsibility to keep the toner cartridges current, spending at least 30 minutes a day going through employee browser history looking for VIOLATIONS OF CORPORATE POLICY, All help desks at every location MUST be at least 50% glass walled so we can show our Command Centers to our clients, and hanging every goddamned accolade every tech/engineer has onto the wall

His entire position sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

• Options

lock-command-center-lifelock_large.jpg

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    1 week left of employment

i'm going to die alone on the streets and my cats won't even get to eat my eyes

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    don't deny them the eyes
    the eye meat is the most succulent part

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was speeding through space at warp 2.8

@Vanguard will create the new thread
    @bowen is backup

This discussion has been closed.