The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Chapter 1: The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe - A [13th Age] PbP

124678

Posts

  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Standing on the dock, Tomas allows Bragg and Mikhail to handle the negotiations with the elderly fisherman. Just being down here, with the stink and the stench, was nearly enough to turn his stomach - let alone shaking hands with someone who no-doubt spent their day elbow deep in piscine offal. Tomas pulls a small satchel of herbs from a pouch hidden under his outer robe, raising it to his nose and sniffing deeply.

    The sudden shouting from further up the street pulls Tomas from his olfactory contemplation so quickly that he accidentally drops the herbs, which naturally land in one of the uncountable puddles of unknown liquaceous material that cover the dock. Swearing softly, he kicks the ruined packet over the edge to land in the water, where it sinks rapidly.

    His mind flashes quickly to his rooms back at the Halls of the Ivory Tower, and the three or four other items he would have preferred to bring with him on this trip. Unfortunately, it would appear that returning to fetch them would no longer be possible.


    Geth, roll 1d20+2+1 for INITIATIVE!

    INITIATIVE!:
    1d20+2+1 16 [1d20=13]

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime Designated Wizard Registered User regular
    edited July 13
    If we're doing this, then I get to be Goemon.

    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Initiative

    Initiative:
    1d20+3 17 [1d20=14]

    MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN • MagicPrime | Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)

    Ofnv4jq.gif
  • BrodyBrody Cabot CoveRegistered User regular
    Let's do this!

    Geth roll 1d20+2


    "Oh, great, that asshole is back." Cracking the knuckles on his real hand, Bragg slides he shield off of his back, and draws his sword, a well used piece of equipment that nevertheless looks well maintained.

    1d20+2 20 [1d20=18]

  • ReynoldsReynolds Raving Rabbit Registered User regular
    "Vitunati? Who's that? Eh?" Her eyes widened when she turned to spot the Emperor's servant. "What the!? Not a chance, old man!" With that, Kirst hightailed it away from the scene, flailing her arms for attention when she conveniently spotted some familiar faces. "Cheese it fellas! It's the fuzz!"

    The half-orc continued running, towards and potentially past them, eyes flickering about rapidly as she searched for possible avenues of escape. Of course, she was not yet aware of why the others were here in the first place, and how they might have unwittingly been negotiating for her getaway vehicle.
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Initiative

    Initiative:
    1d20+5 19 [1d20=14]

    OGueI9Q.gif
  • NullzoneNullzone Kasben Rinker Gnome FighterRegistered User regular
    edited July 14
    Kasben sighs. "What nonsense has Kirst gotten herself into this time?"

    He unsheathes his bow...and sits down. Concentrating on his magic, he begins to filter out the din of the docks, searching for any detail that might offer a way to cut the guards off of their pursuit.

    You said palace guards - are they Imperial?

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for INITIATIVE

    INITIATIVE:
    1d20+5 10 [1d20=5]

    Nullzone on
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited July 15
    The docks are perhaps not the best place for a chase. Crowded with people going about their daily routines. There are crates stacked in various locations. Kirst and her pursues are running alongside a warehouse and across from that, adjacent to the mooring for Quenlin's yacht, is a bait shop that services its customers at a bar open to the docks facing the water.. There are a few spots stained with mysterious viscous fuilds all over the wooden planks. As you might expect in a location such as this, there are various lines, nets and barrels dotting the pier. Hanging above is a crane unloading a pallet of boxes. Some folks see the commotion coming and start to dart out of the way, while others freeze like deer in lantern light. The boat is currently moored and the magical engine has not been activated yet.

    Alright, I hope this has set the scene for you. If you need to know more or have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

    The order is as follows:
    @Brody Bragg is Near the boat
    @Reynolds Kirst is Far Away from the boat
    @MagicPrime Mikhail is Near the boat
    @Elvenshae Tomas is Close to the boat
    @Nullzone Kasben is Close to the boat

    Each turn, at the end of the round, if unimpeded, Zenigata will move forward and attempt to capture Kirst.
    At the end of the second turn, the platoon will overrun the boat; What happens then is a mystery.
    If you are Near the boat, you can get on the boat as your Move action.
    If you are Close to the boat, it will take you a Move action to get Near the boat.
    If you are Far Away from the boat, it will take you a Move action to get Close.

    Let's get this started!

    Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // Amazon Wishlist
    ReynoldsElvenshae
  • BrodyBrody Cabot CoveRegistered User regular
    edited July 15
    Smiling to Quenlin, Bragg politely asks him to start the boat before striding a little ways farther down the docks. Ignoring the panic around him, he sticks his sword lightly into the wood at his feet, pulls one of his throwing axes from his harness, and launches it at Zenigata. "Ah, finally a chance to really test this new arm of mine... oh." as the axe flies wide and ends up in the harbor.
    Move: Move to "Close."

    Action: Ranged Basic Attack.

    Free: Tell the captain to start the getaway vehicle.

    Geth roll 1d20+2 for Ranged Basic Attack

    Geth roll 1d6+1 for Damage (If attack is successful)

    Ranged Basic Attack:
    1d20+2 10 [1d20=8]
    Damage (If attack is successful):
    1d6+1 2 [1d6=1]

    Brody on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Raving Rabbit Registered User regular
    edited July 16
    Kirst continued moving as fast as possible, although the turn from the alley where Marcus had been working into the bustling heart of the docks had slowed her down. She was having to squirm around or push past bystanders, her tall, bright blue mohawk easily spotted bobbing above the crowd. "Pardon me, 'scuse me! Gotta keep one jump ahead of the lawman. One swing ahead of the sword." Halfway to the others, she turned and yanked at a tower of barrels on the side of the walkway, sending them toppling and tumbling behind her as fish, bait and other silmey goods sloshed across the planks.

    "Riffraff! Street rat! Scoundrel!" Kirst ignored the cries of her detractors, knives flourishing into existence in her dexterous hands as she spun away from the newly created hazard to continue towards her allies. "Sorry! Tell you all about it when I've got the time!" She grinned even as she loudly called out to her comrades...although it faded ever so slightly as she saw an axe go flying towards her before curving to sail harmlessly into the drink...and drooped a bit further when she saw the gnome sitting down for a rest. "I'm only one jump ahead of the hitmen here, and that's no joke! Don't you guys appreciate that!?"

    Move action to Close.
    Standard action to topple the barrels.
    Quick action to draw knives.

    Reynolds on
    OGueI9Q.gif
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Kirst pushes a stack of barrels as she dashes past, causing a few of the guardsmen to stumble or fallback. One of the barrels erupts as one of the soldier collapses over it, sending slick fish and ichor everywhere.

    @Reynolds give me a Dex+Acrobatics check to see how effective this is.

    @MagicPrime is up next.

    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // Amazon Wishlist
  • ReynoldsReynolds Raving Rabbit Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+4+5 for Barrel!

    Barrel!:
    1d20+4+5 11 [1d20=2]

    OGueI9Q.gif
    Elvenshae
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    @MagicPrime Puck flutters around Mikhail's head erratically.

    "Pigs! What are we gonna do, Boss?"

    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // Amazon Wishlist
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime Designated Wizard Registered User regular
    edited July 17
    Mikhail's eyes flare up. What normally appear as embers deep within becomes a raging furnace. Distortions of heat begin to swirl around his legs and rise, causing his robes and hair to move and float upwards. His mouth becomes an almost menacing grin, tight toothed and clinched as he brings forth the power of his blood. His normally golden hair begins to glow like molten metal.

    Geth roll 1d6 for Gather Power

    Benefit doesnt apply to anything currently.

    Gather:
    1d6 3 [1d6=3]

    MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN • MagicPrime | Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)

    Ofnv4jq.gif
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @MagicPrime

    Is that your turn?

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Go ahead and take you turn @Elvenshae

    I'm pretty sure he's charging up. I was clear that this was not really a combat encounter, right?

    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // Amazon Wishlist
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime Designated Wizard Registered User regular
    People are throwing axes. So that tells me we are taking it seriously. But on more reading it looks like i can still take a move action when I gather power. So if possible i want to move on the boat.

    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN • MagicPrime | Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)

    Ofnv4jq.gif
  • BrodyBrody Cabot CoveRegistered User regular
    I don't think a full engagement will be to our benefit, I'm just trying to give the squad more to think about

  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited July 18
    I just wanted to make sure I was clear about my intent. You play how you want to play. It's my job to respond to your choices after all. Do whatever you want and I will respond accordingly. I've got stats just in case it went that way.

    Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // Amazon Wishlist
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited July 18
    Among other things, I'd like to cast a cantrip'd Charm Person to make what I'm about to say to the captain sound a little more reasonable. Cool?

    Ed: Might translate as allowing me to apply Ivory Halls background on a persuade check? Or just favorable circumstances or something? I'm going to offer him an incentive to get us moving very, very quickly.

    Elvenshae on
    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    I love everything about this plan, give me a roll! Cha + your Ivory Halls background. I would love it if you could give a little magical flirusih to accompany it.

    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // Amazon Wishlist
    Elvenshae
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Picking his way carefully across the dock, Tomas manages to avoid all of the puddles of fish offal that make the wooden surface a minefield. As he pushes further down the dock, an errant axe comes whipping by his head, landing in the water off to his left. "Bragg, must you? And what if you'd actually managed to hit one of the royal guardsmen?" A wary eye out for additional flying hardware, he slides past the doughty halfling and picks his way, gingerly, across the ... wooden bridge-thing ... onto the boat. He allows his staff to thump once, twice, and thrice as he boards, and on the third traces a small rune on his throat, which briefly glows a hopefully-friendly green.

    "Captain, I know my friend has hired you to transport us and you no doubt negotiated a good rate. I wish to avoid certain entanglements and delays. So, if you get this boat moving in the next ..." Tomas glances up the street at the approaching affray, and does some quick math in his head. "... Moving in the next 15 seconds, you may double it. The offer, of course, is for a limited time only."
    Move nearby the boat, move on the boat, quick action to cast a cantrip'd Charm Person.

    Geth, roll 1d20+7 for Persuading the money-grubbing peasant

    Persuading the money-grubbing peasant:
    1d20+7 18 [1d20=11]

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
    Nullzone
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @Nullzone

    Apart from the Cap'n's reactions, you're up. :)

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
  • NullzoneNullzone Kasben Rinker Gnome FighterRegistered User regular
    I suppose my turn isn't really dependent on the outcome there, eh?

    As Kasben's focus steadies, the sight in his head turns monochrome with blobs of color smashed over certain parts. One by one, he focuses on each part that isn't important, and pushes it into the background grey static, allowing him to find the useful bits.

    A few new color splashes pop up as his allies cause some chaos around the docks. The whistle of an axe, followed by a shloop as it hits the drink. Barrels toppling over and bursting open, leaving brined fish slapping on the wooden planks of the dock. Tomas speaking to the Captain about getting the schooner moving.

    Suddenly, he finds the opportunity he's been looking for. Above the docks, a crane swings into motion, carrying a pallet of crates directly over the incoming path of the chasing guards. Kasben jumps to his feet, nocks an arrow, and fires directly at the sailor's knot fastening the crate-laden cargo net to the crane arm, shouting "Kirst! Watch your head!"

    I'm assuming this will be a Dexterity check, so I'm pre-rolling that here to save time; happy to roll anything else needed if you're of a different mind on how this proceeds.
    Geth, roll 1d20+4+4 for Knotty Aim.

    Knotty Aim:
    1d20+4+4 10 [1d20=2]

    Elvenshae
  • NullzoneNullzone Kasben Rinker Gnome FighterRegistered User regular
    edited July 19
    I'm good at getting people into trouble y'all.

    Also, if I do need to be making another check there, we can just assume I rolled a 2 and add the appropriate mods to it; no reason to get free rerolls just because I'm trying to be efficient. :)

    Nullzone on
    Elvenshae
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    @Nullzone Actually I would like an attack roll against the roll, if you please.

    You see a look in his eyes as your charm takes effect, a shift in the way he perceives Tomas.

    "Oh shite," Quenlin swears, "we gotta get out of here!"

    He stumbles aboard his vessel, taking to the wheel above the cabin. Struggling for a moment in panic, he inserts the key at the center of the wheel and at the aft of the ship a large magical propeller unfolds, touching into the water, and begins to turn.

    "Get aboard or you're left behind!"

    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // Amazon Wishlist
    ElvenshaeReynolds
  • NullzoneNullzone Kasben Rinker Gnome FighterRegistered User regular
    k, I rolled a 2 earlier so that's 7 to hit.

    Geth, roll 1d10+4 in the unlikely event I'm doing damage.

    in the unlikely event I'm doing damage.:
    1d10+4 13 [1d10=9]

  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Kasben takes careful aim, feeling the wind as it blows. What he failed to account for, however, was that the wind would cause the pallets to sway ever so light. Enough so that just as he releases the draw it reveals the bright sun, shining right into his retinas and causing the arrow to sail wildly.

    Apologies for the delay. I've had some internet issues and Comcast takes forever to get a service truck out.

    Let's keep this moving. So far the mob has not been delayed, so unless you pull something off this turn they will descend. You did, however, delay Zenigata so he will not get an attempt to capture our favorite half-orc this turn.

    Up next @Brody

    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // Amazon Wishlist
    Elvenshae
  • BrodyBrody Cabot CoveRegistered User regular
    But if we are all in the boat at the end of Nullzone's turn, we can get away?

  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Yes, that is correct

    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // Amazon Wishlist
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Just letting y'all know that I'll be on business travel for a good chunk of this week and then again next week, so my posting might be slightly delayed. :)

    Also, currently, Comcast is being pretty awesome at my new place, but when we had them before they were poop-from-a-butt so I understand the pain, Mikey.

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
  • BrodyBrody Cabot CoveRegistered User regular
    Realizing that they might be a little outnumbered, Bragg pulls his sword back out of the dock, and backs over next to the boat. "Krist, Kasben, don't make us leave without you."
    Move to Near the boat.

    Ready my Standard action traded down to a Move action: Once Kasben moves onto the boat, Move onto the boat

    Free action: Words:

  • ReynoldsReynolds Raving Rabbit Registered User regular
    edited July 23
    Kirst knew she hadn't slowed them down for long, so it was best to keep moving. Towards and then past some of her comrades. "They're quick! But I'm much faster."

    Without hesitation, she launched herself from the wooden planks of the dock and onto the waiting vessel. "Wish me happy lan-oof!" The half-orc didn't have time to complete that line, as she didn't have far to leap, roughly landing and rolling to her feet, seeming a bit wobbly. She tried to recover and dust herself off, pretending nothing had gone wrong at all, one hand still clutching a fistful of blades.

    "Alright, next time? Gonna use a nom de plume." Kirst seemed to be mostly talking to herself, or at least the others, including the charmed sea captain, were having a hard time following along with her current train of thought.

    Move action to Near the boat.
    Standard action to Move onto the boat.
    Free action to continue quoting Aladdin.

    Reynolds on
    OGueI9Q.gif
    ElvenshaeMikey CTSBrody
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime Designated Wizard Registered User regular
    edited July 24
    Now standing on the bow of the boat, Mikhail takes aim to use his fire to ignite the docks in front of the approaching guards.

    It appears I have outdone Nullzone's 2 with a 1 of my own. Natural 1 on the attack, but rolled Max Damage. Words fail me.

    Geth roll 1d20+4+1 for Scorching Ray
    Geth roll 2d6+8 for Empowered Scorching Ray

    Scorching Ray:
    1d20+4+1 6 [1d20=1]
    Empowered Scorching Ray:
    2d6+8 20 [2d6=6, 6]

    MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN • MagicPrime | Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)

    Ofnv4jq.gif
    Elvenshae
  • BrodyBrody Cabot CoveRegistered User regular
    edited July 24
    "Can't hit the broadside of a... wait, fire?"

    Brody on
    Elvenshae
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    The searing ray veers wildly off target, setting fire to the warehouse front. True panic sets in now as not only are there clearly criminals attempting to flee the law, but also they're willing to destroy the town and everyone in it to escape judgement.

    @Elvenshae

    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // Amazon Wishlist
    Elvenshae
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Tomas definitely feels a headache coming on, and rubs the bridge of his nose and forehead to stave it off. Likely unsuccessfully. First the weapons, now setting fire to valuable Imperial property ... This was going to get complicated. And expensive.

    "Good captain, is there some way I might speed the progress of this vessel? Some charm I might apply?"

    While waiting for an answer, Tomas summons a small ball of pink-glowing material to his hand, and after a moment rubs it quickly into his hair, changing it from its normal chestnut brow to tousled strawberry blond. As a disguise, it wasn't much, but maybe it would keep him from being immediately recognized.

    Cantrip'd Disguise Self as a quick action, await the captain's reply for the next step. Also, about to hop on a long flight. Sorry! @Nullzone can proceed, and I'll do the rest of my turn this evening!

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
    Mikey CTS
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    In case it becomes important, this is where I'm keeping track of my currently-memorized spells:

    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/1QCHXpDDY5qDv6IIh4vSAEsfnUBV2csmhlURMCmi4Sd8/htmlview

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
  • NullzoneNullzone Kasben Rinker Gnome FighterRegistered User regular
    Kasben turns away from the burning docks, wincing. "That's gonna be hard to explain later..."

    Hearing Tomas' request for a burst of speed, Kasben turns his attention outward. Several other boats are moving out to sea already, including a barge on the adjacent pier. Kasben isn't great with magic, but does know a thing or two about physics, and starts some quick calculations in his head, hoping to find a way to use the barge's displacement (perhaps with some magical assistance) to help "push" their much smaller boat out of reach of the approaching soldiers.

    I'll leave this check up to you to decide how it plays, @Mikey CTS; rolling a d20 now, will apply relevant mods after.
    Geth, roll 1d20

    1d20 20 [1d20=20]

  • NullzoneNullzone Kasben Rinker Gnome FighterRegistered User regular
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Holy shit! I think you just discovered quantum mechanics. I'll have to write up an appropriately awesome post to accompany that 20.

    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // Amazon Wishlist
    NullzoneElvenshae
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited July 25
    Kasben glances around, looking for any method that may grant more speed to the vessel. Then it occurs to him - the blades of the propeller are only partially submerged. This hardly seems ideal. It seems to Kasben that these blades work by displacing water. By applying pressure to the surface of the water, it causes an opposing force that pushes the boat forward. So, it stands to reason, that if you could find a way to make it displace more water, it would apply more force and thus generate more speed. If they could find a way submerge the blades deeper into the water, this could very well accomplish this task. But how to submerge the blades deeper into the water?

    What do you do?

    I am fascinate to see how you all choose to solve this little puzzle. 8-)

    Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // Amazon Wishlist
Sign In or Register to comment.