As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tabula Rasa

• Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The fact ive been signed up for the beta for FOUR GODDAMN YEARS and didnt get an invite pisses me off.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I search my spam box diligently, searching for a glimmer of light.

I return from my hunched over position, defeated, and weep.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've been following this one since it made a changeover from a fantasy setting to sci-fi. It looks interesting, and fun, and I'm dying to see how it plays out. Here's hoping I get lucky and get one of the upcoming invites.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    If you ignore the Asian market, nothing in the MMO field scratches at WoW. Which kinda sucks for all the other MMOs, because they can be successful with 100k players yet they'll look like failures if they don't hit 7 digits these days.

Actually that isn't true, Scooter. It's pretty clear that WoW is an extreme outlier in the data, to use statistical terms. Sure, everyone would love to compete at that level, but no one does. Every other stable successful MMO has 100k to maybe 300k subscribers (rough numbers, not counting Asia). The failures have under, say, 25k (like Auto Assault). (I made a thread a few days ago about MMO lifespan, seems relevant to the current discussion.)

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to Tabula Rasa. It better be good. Though it may force me to drop one of my current MMOs, which is kinda sad.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm psyched about Tabula Rasa and I'm hoping it turns out to be exciting, not 'collect ten wolf skins' crap.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    DEL 707DEL 707 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I'm psyched about Tabula Rasa and I'm hoping it turns out to be exciting, not 'collect ten wolf skins' crap.

We all know it'll be 10 Cyborg eyes instead ;-)

DEL 707 on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Zeon wrote: »
    The fact ive been signed up for the beta for FOUR GODDAMN YEARS and didnt get an invite pisses me off.

Glal on
  • Options
    Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ahhh memories...

ultimaonline1997sq3.jpg

I really have faith this game is going to rock hard. Hopefully it at least somewhat advances this otherwise disgustingly stagnant genre.

On a slightly different note, I wonder if anyone will ever attempt to do a top down isometric MMO again in the vein of UO -- I think it could have potential.

Ant000 on
  • Options
    CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    wenchkilla wrote: »
    I might be seeing it through rose tinted glasses 'cause it was my first MMO, but I liked CoH. Paragon City, superpowers, instanced dungeons, everything was a lot of fun if nothing else. Where the game failed me is the amount of time needed to level up. CoV had some exciting stuff as well.

Don't get me wrong, CoH is an extremely well-polished game. I loved the atmosphere of Paragon City and superheroes, which is what drew me in in the first place. But atmosphere can only last so long, and once that wears thin, there wasn't much else to keep me there...

Or maybe I might be seeing it through blackened glasses, since it was 20th+ MMO (:(). I was really hoping for something new and exciting about the game, but beyond the atmosphere it was just kind of run-of-the-mill.
    ANT000 wrote: »
    Hopefully it at least somewhat advances this otherwise disgustingly stagnant genre.

My sentiments exactly.
    ANT000 wrote: »
    On a slightly different note, I wonder if anyone will ever attempt to do a top down isometric MMO again in the vein of UO -- I think it could have potential.

Well, there is...

newmonster.jpg

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    Ignoring the Asian market for the moment, even the sum of all of NCsoft's subscribers doesn't scratch at WoW. All their MMOs have a market margin of a couple of %, whilst WoW has over half of it.

Well, Lineages together have 25% of the MMO pie. Guild Wars is 3 million retail boxes. It's only really CoX that is a couple of %. Of course what really matters is where those subscribers are, aren't over half of WoWs accounts based in china?

Rook on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Man I hope I get in.

But If I am disappointed I will be very upset, it'll be one to many times I've tried a new MMO only to find it sucking as hard as the last ten.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    190406-mmomarket.jpg

NCSoft are a lot closer to Blizzard than you guys think.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    Glal wrote: »
    Ignoring the Asian market for the moment, even the sum of all of NCsoft's subscribers doesn't scratch at WoW. All their MMOs have a market margin of a couple of %, whilst WoW has over half of it.
    Well, Lineages together have 25% of the MMO pie. Guild Wars is 3 million retail boxes. It's only really CoX that is a couple of %. Of course what really matters is where those subscribers are, aren't over half of WoWs accounts based in china?
    GW isn't an MMO, it has no subscribers. Didn't know Lineage was NCSoft though.

Regarding WoW, I suppose it's possible, but since we're comparing this to Lineage, which is insanely popular in Asia and almost completely ignored here, I'm not sure what it proves, besides WoW's crazy popularity world-wide.

[edit] Joystiq versus MMOGCHART: GO!

subscriptions12473imagejj2.gif

Glal on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Insider wrote: »
    If it has started I'm sure they are under NDA and not allowed to say if they are in the beta or not.

Can an NDA really include saying whether or not you're IN a beta test? I mean I know if you are working on a super-secret internal project at a game developer, you might have an NDA that prevents you from revealing what you're working on to anyone, but for a game that's publicly known, and that is being beta tested by a closed public group, I don't think it's possible, and a little silly, to ask people not to even divulge that they're in the beta test.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    Insider wrote: »
    If it has started I'm sure they are under NDA and not allowed to say if they are in the beta or not.

Can an NDA really include saying whether or not you're IN a beta test? I mean I know if you are working on a super-secret internal project at a game developer, you might have an NDA that prevents you from revealing what you're working on to anyone, but for a game that's publicly known, and that is being beta tested by a closed public group, I don't think it's possible, and a little silly, to ask people not to even divulge that they're in the beta test.

Im sure an NDA can stipulate anything it wants.

I mean if it is in beta it is pretty close to release, maybe people dont want the public to know this i dunno.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Masume wrote: »
    Mmmmmm Sci-Fi, I am so sick of Fantasy MMO's. I hate to say it but I won't even pony up time to MMO's unless they get out of the damn fantasy niche, unless perhaps it's Warhammer, and that's mainly because the PvP will hopefully be phenomenal!

Oh, and I signed up for this. Here's hoping.

I have a mental block against all fantasy games. Oblivion bores me but Deus Ex was aces, Warcraft just makes me wonder why I'm not playing Starcraft etc. It's odd, because if not for the fantasy setting, they're usually games I'd otherwise lap up. It isn't even a lack of futuristic technology. I love the Total War series, for example. I think maybe it has something to do with the cliches making it a predictable experience. Sure, scifi has cliches, but at the same time it isn't confined to one ancestral literary genus. Scifi games can draw on a multitude of story-telling subgenres while fantasy games generally only have Lord of the Rings and it's imitators to draw on, meaning that ultimately they all just feel the same as LOTR because there isn't enough variety in the DNA mix.

What I'm trying to say is, Fantasy games are retarded inbreds.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Now now, I was just trying to get the discussion going on this here game. What do you suppose the game play is like? I hope there is much more to it than pressing a few buttons every few seconds.

Also, I like the graphics. But I hope every single zone doesn't look so menacing. I mean, some places inother games just give me the willies to walk around. Like Bloodmyst Isle in WoW, or System Shock 2.. The whole game.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yeah I'm wondering how action packed the combat system will be, how heavily will it lean towards the FPS genre?

Also interested how the leveling and class system will work out, because from what I can on the website there will only be 4 classes. Commando, Ranger, Biotechnician and Sapper. Will each class have different talent tree's etc? So that 2 Commando's can pursue 2 different roles.

I like the look of the Sapper though, hacking an enemy robot and taking control, yes please!

DEL 707 on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've been following this one since it made a changeover from a fantasy setting to sci-fi. It looks interesting, and fun, and I'm dying to see how it plays out. Here's hoping I get lucky and get one of the upcoming invites.

I was actually kind of bummed by the change in setting since swords and sorcery was always British's thing. Won't stop me from giving it a try though. I have damned near every game he ever made, and this won't be an exception.

Aoi on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Uriel wrote: »
    Now now, I was just trying to get the discussion going on this here game. What do you suppose the game play is like? I hope there is much more to it than pressing a few buttons every few seconds.

Also, I like the graphics. But I hope every single zone doesn't look so menacing. I mean, some places inother games just give me the willies to walk around. Like Bloodmyst Isle in WoW, or System Shock 2.. The whole game.

I got the definite impression that the gameplay was closer to Planetside than any other current MMO out there... Which is something else that kind of gave me pause on this one.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Aoi wrote: »

I got the definite impression that the gameplay was closer to Planetside than any other current MMO out there... Which is something else that kind of gave me pause on this one.

It's not PvP based though, right? I thought it was a PvE shooter.

Cyrixd on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Cyrixd wrote: »
    Aoi wrote: »

It's not PvP based though, right? I thought it was a PvE shooter.

Sounds like it'll have guild wars style PvP.

PVP in Tabula Rasa

Wargame missions have been created to give players a variety of ways to experience PvP for themselves. Wargame missions include traditional dueling arenas, and there will also be areas that imitate FPS classics like capture-the-flag and team-based objective missions. Each of these areas will have leader boards and public scores available to give various teams "bragging rights" and other rewards.

11. Will Tabula Rasa offer any PvP and if so how will it be worked into the gameplay?

PvP should be offered at ship as Clan vs Clan PvP.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    As long as PvP is a choice, I'll be happy.

DEL 707 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    DEL 707 wrote: »

Yeah, I assumed an action-based FPS would have PvP somewhere in there, but it's organized similarly to any other MMO.

Thanks for the excerpt Rook. CTF sounds sweet :D

Cyrixd on
  • Options
    TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Sapper? I'm fucking sold, so long as there are explosives.

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That graph makes me sad... I wish EQ2, and CoX, had larger subscriber bases. :(

Even more that AC isn't even listed. :cry:

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I found some old demo videos from way back in 2005, narrated by Gariott himself. I can only imagine how far the game has come since then. Still, it looks like alot of fun. I especially like the way they're encouraging people to diversify their arsenal of weaponry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ef5D-7mH-4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNpv4JZ-LCM&mode=related&search=
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4vdnE8QpyY&mode=related&search=

Operative21 on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Cyrixd wrote: »
    DEL 707 wrote: »

Yeah, I assumed an action-based FPS would have PvP somewhere in there, but it's organized similarly to any other MMO.

Thanks for the excerpt Rook. CTF sounds sweet :D

It was also mentioned at some point long ago that factional base wars might be in at some point too, I believe. No idea if that's still true, though.

I do know that if you can get your hands on the unedited GDC footage/poke around the net you'll find a couple comments on how the developers have been experimenting with the idea of wagering your guilds statistical bonus in relatively large-scale organized PVP against other guilds.

Honestly though, from everything i've heard i'm relatively stoked. The game sounds like KOTOR in partial real-time, but with guns being the focus, and a decent cover system.

Archonex on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I got an invite this morning.

It's an FPSMMO?

Awesome.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Dagnabit. I'm certain I'm not going to get in despite having signed up for the beta 2 years ago.

Edit: http://www.playtr.com/news/archives/2007/06/10000_beta_invi.html

Oh man I hope I get one! Or even worse, I hope I didn't get one and then deleted it!

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Faricazy wrote: »
    I got an invite this morning.

It's an FPSMMO?

Awesome.

How NDA'd are you? Because I really was kinda disappointed with the recent videos over on gametrailers.com

Rook on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well, looks like my karma from not getting beta keys to pretty much every other game has finally paid off! If I can I'll post some vague description of how it plays, but that's up to the NDA.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    is it an FPSMMO? because the trailers made it look like an autoattackMMO

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't know, I'm at work. I'll let you guys know tomorrow if I can.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Acoring to a preview in Pc gamer, its an auto attack mmo, but with FPS elements. E.g Taking cover behind a pillar massivly increases your defense, whilst being prone increases your accuracy.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wooo I'm in too!

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    InsiderInsider Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Also got in.

You can only play on certain days though... :(

Insider on
    Steam
    Sneaky..
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Acoring to a preview in Pc gamer, its an auto attack mmo, but with FPS elements. E.g Taking cover behind a pillar massivly increases your defense, whilst being prone increases your accuracy.

alright now I just need to know what the questing is like

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wren wrote: »
    Norgoth wrote: »

alright now I just need to know what the questing is like

Also according to this like two month old pc gamer quests effect the factions around you. I.E Soliders ask you for stim packs, which allow them to fight better in an area and thus unlock more quests in new areas. However stims are illegal so the polic hate you.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm completely out of luck if I deleted the invite aren't I?

rayofash on
This discussion has been closed.