As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch 11.0] Moira, new Support Healer and new map announced!

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    PTR datamine has an Athena voice line for a new map.
    https://aku-no-homu.tumblr.com/post/164255696320/athena-voicelines-for-entering-maps-i-mined-on
    Junkertown

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    So we've had a new payload hybrid, a new koth, a new 2cp... Does this mean a new straight payload map, or just another 3v3/deathmatch map?

Hopin' for payload, myself.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    So heads up on XB1 at least, kept getting "login error failure to connect to server" and turns out somehow it was letting me boot up the game even though there was an update. Once I told it to update, the game connected fine

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Holy shit fuck this fucking game putting me in a game in progress onto the losing team with 5 seconds left

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Holy shit fuck this fucking game putting me in a game in progress onto the losing team with 5 seconds left

What really pisses me off is any sort of attack/defend metric that might exist in terms of what you play next gets borked by being dropped into those games where hooray, you're on attack!.....but it's 10 seconds left and you can't even pick a character and the team victory screen hasn't even loaded the enemy team's victory poses so they all look like dolls.

So now you have to play defend and watch as everyone leaves and any hope you have of getting to play King's Row attack is ruined by everyone leaving after the match. So you load up a new game and boom, defend again, probably on a 2CP because sorry not sorry.

edit: everything is salty

TexiKen on
  • Options

Pfft. You had 5 seconds. That's more than some people get.

My favorite "Fuck this" was being dropped into defense of Volskaya, running straight to point B, getting slaughtered 1v6 about .5 seconds before the match ended, and getting silver for damage.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Now entering...

Route 66

DEFEAT

Easiest 500xp ever.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    My buddy showed a Junkrat advice video with Junkrat performing double mine attacks on Pharah. One to launch himself and one to throw in Pharah's face. I couldn't imitate this online. Is that an old version of JR?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Just in case, I gave everything a good dusting. If that doesn't make a difference next time, I'll check those out and see what it tells me.

You can also turn on GPU/CPU reporting in Overwatch to check how your computer is handling it with stats like FPS, CPU temp, and Graphics Memory usage. Go into your Overwatch settings, go to Video, and check "Display Performance Stats". I usually have this on in every game just in case it starts hiccuping for no reason. It's a small translucent 8px tall bar at the top of your screen so it shouldn't affect your gameplay at all. Most of the time I forget it's there until I feel the need to check my temperature or something.

I can second the overheating issue, especially if you're on a laptop since the fans are prone to wearing out quickly.

I was having an ongoing issue where my FPS would drop into the teens at times and the game was unplayable, and it turned out my fan was dying and the system was throttling itself down due to heat.

I have a big Asus laptop, and I've had it for a few years, so that could possibly be it. I'll try turning that on and checking next time. It ran better today, but towards the end I started to get the weird choppiness and bouncing around again. My internet speed seems fine otherwise, so I don't think it's that type of lag...

Not sure how to physically check on my fans, though, if that turns out to be the problem.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Cantido wrote: »
    My buddy showed a Junkrat advice video with Junkrat performing double mine attacks on Pharah. One to launch himself and one to throw in Pharah's face. I couldn't imitate this online. Is that an old version of JR?

You throw one, then wait for the cooldown to end so you can throw another immediately after detonating the first.

But on the PTR at the moment, he has two charges on his mine, so you can conceivably triple jump.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

PTR. Junkrat's getting a second mine charge.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Why is KOTH?

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Popping Pharah with mines is a great move for him against Pharah. If she's anywhere over a battle, that mine can easily be enough to finish her off after she's been dealt some damage or make her easy for a hitscan to pick off.

Though with two mines to play with, I could see
    Just in case, I gave everything a good dusting. If that doesn't make a difference next time, I'll check those out and see what it tells me.

You can also turn on GPU/CPU reporting in Overwatch to check how your computer is handling it with stats like FPS, CPU temp, and Graphics Memory usage. Go into your Overwatch settings, go to Video, and check "Display Performance Stats". I usually have this on in every game just in case it starts hiccuping for no reason. It's a small translucent 8px tall bar at the top of your screen so it shouldn't affect your gameplay at all. Most of the time I forget it's there until I feel the need to check my temperature or something.

I can second the overheating issue, especially if you're on a laptop since the fans are prone to wearing out quickly.

I was having an ongoing issue where my FPS would drop into the teens at times and the game was unplayable, and it turned out my fan was dying and the system was throttling itself down due to heat.

I have a big Asus laptop, and I've had it for a few years, so that could possibly be it. I'll try turning that on and checking next time. It ran better today, but towards the end I started to get the weird choppiness and bouncing around again. My internet speed seems fine otherwise, so I don't think it's that type of lag...

Not sure how to physically check on my fans, though, if that turns out to be the problem.

In my case, the fans were audibly going, but it happened over a couple of weeks so it was decently obvious after I realized it was a heat issue. There are programs that can tell you the temp of your video card and CPU; run the game, look at the temps, and look at system resources. If there's plenty of system resources available and the game is choppy but the CPU/GPU has temp spiking high, there's definitely a cooling issue.

You can also simply touch different parts of the laptop while running something resource-hungry. If any spot is uncomfortably hot, that's a pretty good indicator of dead/dying fan as well.

• Options
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Now entering...

Route 66

DEFEAT

Easiest 500xp ever.

Sure it's easy XP, but I'm queuing for a match because I want to play. It just sucks waiting 30 seconds or whatever to find a match, wait for the match to load, pick your character, and then it's like "10 seconds left!" just enough time to run out the door and maybe see an enemy in the distance and then DEFEAT splashes across the screen, and either then stay in the lobby with a team that got wrecked hard and the same will probably happen again, or leave and start the process over.

I just wanna play

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular

S'like a Doomfist punch lol

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    If they want to toss me into a game in progress make the XP 800 bonus at least.

Hell that would be a nice way to try and curtail people leaving games in non competitive modes, just don't give them XP for their next match, whatever it is.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Dispatch from the Department of Bad Ideas

Prot Monk

Drawing inspiration from Guild Wars, that other MMORPG, a support character designed around targeted regeneration and proactive denial of enemy damage rather than healing.

200 HP.

Primary Fire: Lobs a wad of biotic stuff in a slow-moving arc. On hit, deals about 50 damage and heals the Prot Monk for the same amount over a brief period (like how Ana's attack resolves on hit).
    Secondary Fire: Regeneration Field. Grants one ally 10 healing per second for 10 seconds. 2-second cooldown. The regeneration may be applied to the same character multiple times; according to some playing around with Excel, this results in roughly 50 healing per second maximally employed. Though weaker than other healers, its comparative persistence allows it to be used to assist flankers.
    Skill 1: Condition Guard. For three seconds, allies in a 15m radius around the Prot Monk (but not themselves) are immune to any non-damaging effect of enemy attacks, including stuns, snares, Mei's freeze, Orb of Discord, physics effects, and so on. Any such conditions already in effect when the skill is activated are removed. 8-second cooldown, beginning after the skill's effect ends.
    Skill 2: Kinetic Dampener. For three seconds, allies in a 15m radius around the Prot Monk (but not themselves) cannot take more than 60 damage from a single parcel of damage. This has the effect of slightly reducing explosive damage (most explosives deal 40 damage for the impact and 80 damage at the center of the blast radius) and hard-capping most headshot and sniper hits. 8-second cooldown, beginning after the skill's effect ends.

Condition Guard and Kinetic Dampener are mutually exclusive; using one while the other is in effect will immediately end the currently-active skill.

Ultimate: Death Ward. For five seconds, allies in a 15m radius around the Prot Monk cannot be reduced to less than 1 HP by enemy attacks.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I busted out the old Junkrat to get ready for the buffs and I've been demolishing folks. Forgot how fun the trash child is.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    http://eu.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/20972458

Blizz announced they're unveiling a new Overwatch animated short at gamescon next week!
    The world premiere of a new Overwatch animated short will take place on our main stage and via live stream during the Blizzard Reveal Ceremony on Wednesday.[Aug 23rd]

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Now that I've had some time with/against him, Doomfist feels like they failed on every possible level.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Now that I've had some time with/against him, Doomfist feels like they failed on every possible level.

Counterpoint: Doomfist is fun as hell and his hitbox is not that bad.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I played some today and a few people were using DF. My opinion of him so far is he can be a bit jarring at times with how his moves work but he overall I didn't have too much trouble.

• Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    Zek wrote: »

Counterpoint: Doomfist is fun as hell and his hitbox is not that bad.

Compromise?: Doomfist is fun as hell and his hitbox needs work.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    He's a lot of fun in Mystery Heroes because sometimes it's just waves of squishies to tear through and you feel glorious

• Options
    There are plenty of times when I am 100% sure I squared that dude up but no, I somehow missed completely. Surprise! Shit happens to both sides. Not everything is bullshit and totally unplayable!

I do agree that the vertical space needs to be cranked way down on the hitbox. Side to side feels fine though.

• Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    There are plenty of times when I am 100% sure I squared that dude up but no, I somehow missed completely. Surprise! Shit happens to both sides. Not everything is bullshit and totally unplayable!

I do agree that the vertical space needs to be cranked way down on the hitbox. Side to side feels fine though.

I think I'm with you on that. Maybe tone down the horizontal just a little. I mean, he does swing pretty wide, but there's no way he should hit someone an entire model's height below him.

Tim is on the Internet on
    Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I won my first two placements in Lucio Ball. Then lost the next eight in varying levels of blowouts. I had five play of the games and was gold in saves and goals in almost every match. Placed just over 2100. Half the time I couldn't tell you why someone missed a boop or punch, the game just didn't register the hits very well. One of my POTGs was a ridiculous save I made booping the ball to the left wall, it bounced and rolled all the way to the other side where all three defenders booped at it but for whatever reason the game said, nope you weren't exactly where you needed to be even though it sure appeared that way to everyone in the game and the ball just rolled right into their goal.

I'm done with Lucio Ball forever again.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

You can curve his charge not by much
    It kind of works like a curve ball as it will arc then go back to true

• Options
    I just don't get him. Every part of him seems to be counter to his own design and the design of the game.

They don't want to have characters who sneak up and one-shot people, shown in how careful they were with Sombra and Roadhog's recent changes. But Doomfist just wants to hop in and one-shot you...I'm not sure how much damage that thing does, but it's always killed me. (Looking it up, it's enough damage to one-shot most of the characters I play, and if thrown out during a big fight with other shots flying around it's definitely over.)

He's a character whose look focuses entirely on his one gigantic arm. His main attack is...shooting tiny little bullets...from his other, normal hand. He also uses his normal fist for melee attacks, which don't do bonus damage as far as I know. Why isn't it the other way around, like Reinhardt? Why is fist man shooting and slapping people and not punching with his giant fist all the time?

He's also got as much combined HP as Zarya. (I thought Bastion had 400 too, did that change? Still, he gets a defense buff.) The constant devaluing/depowering of Zarya continues to suck. I really want to play as her.

I didn't have fun playing as him and I definitely don't like playing against him. And that's sad.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I like Lucioball but it's too random. You also have to be up on a ball reaaaally close to boop it, feels wrong. I didn't realize punching it did anything for a long time, they should have a tutorial mode. It feels like the jump pads should just be speed boosts to make the game faster. Jump pads are cool but most games devolve into both teams goaltending and knocking the ball back and forth forever hoping for a lucky goal.

I landed 2510 which is good enough for me, gonna get mad comp points. Finally will land my first golden gun.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I kind of want the boop in Lucioball to have the range it does in normal play, but diminishing force over range; at very short range it'd work as it does now, further out it should be about as good as your melee hit. At its outer ranges, it'd be just enough to graze the ball and knock it slightly off course.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I just don't get him. Every part of him seems to be counter to his own design and the design of the game.

They don't want to have characters who sneak up and one-shot people, shown in how careful they were with Sombra and Roadhog's recent changes. But Doomfist just wants to hop in and one-shot you...I'm not sure how much damage that thing does, but it's always killed me. (Looking it up, it's enough damage to one-shot most of the characters I play, and if thrown out during a big fight with other shots flying around it's definitely over.)

He's a character whose look focuses entirely on his one gigantic arm. His main attack is...shooting tiny little bullets...from his other, normal hand. He also uses his normal fist for melee attacks, which don't do bonus damage as far as I know. Why isn't it the other way around, like Reinhardt? Why is fist man shooting and slapping people and not punching with his giant fist all the time?

He's also got as much combined HP as Zarya. (I thought Bastion had 400 too, did that change? Still, he gets a defense buff.) The constant devaluing/depowering of Zarya continues to suck. I really want to play as her.

I didn't have fun playing as him and I definitely don't like playing against him. And that's sad.

His main attack is his giant fist. If you were focusing on his left click shotgun that explains why you weren't having fun with him! Thematically and mechanically, swinging The Fist uses power/energy of some sort, illustrated by having to charge it up and having a cool down. Makes sense that it's not usable for a quick melee slap.

He only has 250 hp, not Zarya's 200hp/200 regenerating shields. He generates temporary shields from ability damage, up to 150 (so that would theoretically equal Zarya) but it decays quickly and in 25 hours of practice I don't think I've ever hit the max.

All that said, he does seem very strong and even though I haven't had this much fun killing people since Oldhog I'll be surprised if they don't nerf something about him. I'll be sad about it, but not surprised.

• Options
    His "primary" fire is not at all primary. It's for mixing into combos. Same with quick melee. It's his jab, while his Shift ability is the haymaker.

The difference between DF and Hog with regard to the one shots is that Roadhog has double the hp, has a larger range (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) and doesn't telegraph the attack as much. Yeah, DF excels at 1v1 matchups vs. many characters but that's not unusual. The game is about matchups. He punishes diving and flanking with his ability to peel and can do some light diving himself. He has to exploit the 1v1 cause otherwise he's dead.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    There are games with Doomfist where I feel like an unstoppable juggernaut, a force that must have only been implemented by mistake and surely will be removed in an emergency patch at the end of this round.

And then there are games where a good McCree or Mei or Reaper or Junkrat or Widow or Hanzo just murders me every time I try to participate in a fight and I spend the whole match running back from spawn with no medals.

So maybe he's not really overbalanced and people just need to learn to play against him.

Gosh, rocket punching people into walls is sooooo satisfying and fun though. I don't think I've had more fun on a character in this game than I do with a dominating round on Doomfist.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Hog is also supposed to be a tank, and instead he was better at killing than most DPS, yet had 3 times the HP. Plus firing his hook didn't put him in danger in exchange for a guaranteed kill combo.

He also didn't really have any particular weaknesses, his damage, self-heal, and combo meant that he could be favored in pretty much any matchup.

Whereas Doom has a tank-sized hitbox but only 250 HPs, he has virtually no damage output when his burst is on cooldown, his mobility depends on his cooldowns so if he dives all in he's stuck there, and he has a bunch of really strong counters.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I like Lucioball but it's too random. You also have to be up on a ball reaaaally close to boop it, feels wrong. I didn't realize punching it did anything for a long time, they should have a tutorial mode. It feels like the jump pads should just be speed boosts to make the game faster. Jump pads are cool but most games devolve into both teams goaltending and knocking the ball back and forth forever hoping for a lucky goal.

I landed 2510 which is good enough for me, gonna get mad comp points. Finally will land my first golden gun.

The jump pads are speed boosts. Not a huge amount, wall riding is faster, but definitely there.

Most teams are really bad at it undoubtedly.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Now entering...

Route 66

DEFEAT

Easiest 500xp ever.

I was getting that a lot the other day
    How hard is it to just stick it out and suffer with a loss
    I know some of them are heartbreaking and well rage inducing cuss fests but still free exp is confusing at times

• Options
    edited August 2017
    New map confirmed to be revealed pre-Gamescom, with the new cinematic to follow a couple days later.
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/blizzard-will-reveal-new-overwatch-map-wow-patch-d/1100-6452611/

If it really is just for deathmatch or one of the sub-arcade modes, that'd be a pretty massive kick in the balls.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif