As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sony's dead goat party new info

• Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Which continues to beg the question:

How/where the hell do you return a decapitated goat carcass full of soup?

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »
    But surely despite the clear connection to the theme of God of War Sony must have realised how people would have seen the story.

Sony uses a dead goat that a butcher killed mercifully in publicity stunt for violent video game God of War.

Well, sure, but I think Sony deserves a bit of credit for sticking to their guns, regardless of the spin shitty journalists would add.

They didn't do it for negative publicity, they did it because it was a Greek event promoting God of War. Nothing more, nothing less. Hell, if they only had a Kratos impersonator, the story would say something to the regards of:

"Sony promotes God of War with erotic, big chested half-naked men: Gay gaming on the rise?"

:lol:

Kami on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    *is enlightened to the events*

Wow, that's a pretty badass idea on Sony's part.

Unfortunately, people are going to take things out of consideration/context in all this. D:

Henroid on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    They did have a Kratos.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    hambone wrote: »
    Which continues to beg the question:

How/where the hell do you return a decapitated goat carcass full of soup?

My understanding is that some butchers will make animal food from meat, not just stuff for humans. I imagine that after they were done with it, it got used for dog chow.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Delzhand wrote: »
    They did have a Kratos.

Then gay gaming is here to stay!

Kami on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Henroid wrote: »
    Unfortunately, people are going to take things out of consideration/context in all this. D:

Call me old fashioned, but I think it's pretty hard to find an "appropriate context" for filling a decapitated goat carcass with soup.

hambone on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    pheezer FD wrote: »
    So the only change is that the goat wasn't full of offal?

Yes.

Because the goat was filled with soup, and not offal, this is now obviously nothing to be upset over.

Oh wait except the part where they were still serving food out of a goat whose head had been removed

Well I wouldn't want my soup dispenser looking back at me.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    WallyWally Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Call me old fashioned, but I think it's pretty hard to find an "appropriate context" for filling a decapitated goat carcass with soup.

What about a disemboweled pig with an apple in it's mouth, or would that be too much?

Wally on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Rehab wrote: »
    Sony has proven to be more metal than Nintendo

/golfclap

Viva Pinata... you've been dethroned.
    ololsony.png

That is a nice edit right there.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

This is Europe. Some people over there eat haggis. Sony had to kick it up a notch for them.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Come on Delzhand, this deserves to be out in the open:
    Rehab wrote: »
    Sony has proven to be more metal than Nintendo

/golfclap

Viva Pinata... you've been dethroned.

ololsony.png

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Yeah, but it was done to promote God of War 2. Shouldn't that ring any bells?

Henroid on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    "I say good merchant, this Dead Goat I purchased is faulty! Why, it's not even stuffed with offal! I demand recompense forthwith!"

"What do you mean, faulty. Here, its got guts in it!"

"That's not guts, my good man. That is soup."

"...What kind of soup?"

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    "I say good merchant, this Dead Goat I purchased is faulty! Why, it's not even stuffed with offal! I demand recompense forthwith!"

"What do you mean, faulty. Here, its got guts in it!"

"That's not guts, my good man. That is soup."

"...What kind of soup?"

Your avatar makes this all the better.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, but it was done to promote God of War 2. Shouldn't that ring any bells?

I haven't played it. Does it have some kind of minigame where you fill a goat carcass with soup?

hambone on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't see it as any different.

Well, they didn't kill the goat for it, they just rented a dead goat, but even so, that only just clears ground for the real issue here.

Which is disrespect. To the goat, to the press, to the industry, to the consumer, to greek culture, and probably to others as well.

Evander on
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What do they mean by it was returned anyway? Somebody ate the goat later? After its been sitting for several hours in the open air?
    How do you return a dead goat. Meat goes bad pretty quickly. Probably dog food I guess.
    It's still lolol marketeers either way. Like musketeers, but all for money and stupid for all.

I assumed they meant it was returned for disposal. You're right, nothing about the goat would be edible. (Not that I'd personall consider many parts of a goat edible even under the best circumstances.) Maybe there's some market for the hooves, horns, or whatever.

I mean, after all, the butcher did have a dead (and decapitated) goat handy for some reason, right? (Though actually, it's a valid question whether Sony asked for the goat to be decapitated; you'd think the butcher wouldn't otherwise do that.)

Also: So many simple unanswered questions! Journalists all suck. Sigh.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    im pretty sure the goat was just pining for the fjords.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Evander wrote: »

Well, they didn't kill the goat for it, they just rented a dead goat, but even so, that only just clears ground for the real issue here.

Which is disrespect. To the goat, to the press, to the industry, to the consumer, to greek culture, and probably to others as well.

But, uh, they catered. Which means another company brought in the goat, as well as the other food.

Sony just funded for the catering, as they would for any other big press event, the only difference was the theme. I'm sure this catering company has done many themed caters with animals, such as the previously-mentioned pig with an apple in its mouth.

The goat was sanatized by professionals, and it was only used for housing the soup. Everything had been cleaned and prepped for consumption. The only way I would consider this a faulty event in any way is if people died because the catering company didn't sanitize the goat.

But they did.

So I think this entire 'fiasco' is retarded, 'lol Sony' jounalism, and absolutely nothing to get riled up over.

Kami on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Houk wrote: »

thank you

LewieP on
  • Options
    TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    *is enlightened to the events*

Wow, that's a pretty badass idea on Sony's part.

Pretty much, yea.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Houk wrote: »

thank you
    np. i was quite sad when i saw nobody else picked up on it.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Kami wrote: »

But, uh, they catered. Which means another company brought in the goat, as well as the other food.

Sony just funded for the catering, as they would for any other big press event, the only difference was the theme. I'm sure this catering company has done many themed caters with animals, such as the previously-mentioned pig with an apple in its mouth.

The goat was sanatized by professionals, and it was only used for housing the soup. Everything had been cleaned and prepped for consumption. The only way I would consider this a faulty event in any way is if people died because the catering company didn't sanitize the goat.

But they did.

So I think this entire 'fiasco' is retarded, 'lol Sony' jounalism, and absolutely nothing to get riled up over.

There is also the part where they put the picture of a goat with it's head cut off in the OPSM. I would regard the goat thing as just tacky and stupid without that. However, with it, it is just plain retarded. It doesn't help that some of the misconceptions come from the magazine itself thanks to the fact that the guy who wrote the article wasn't even there.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

But they did.

Ever hire a caterer? They don't just do whatever the hell they want, they do what you tell them to.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

But they did.

Ever hire a caterer? They don't just do whatever the hell they want, they do what you tell them to.

I'm well aware, but if it was a 'horrendous' idea, the caterer would not do it. Also, Sony probably hired the caterer because they were experienced with prepping animals for presentation.

Sony's suits didn't sit in a roundtable, and think 'I KNOW, LET'S KILL A GOAT WOOOOOOOO'

Kami on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Neva wrote: »
    It's still retarded.

I mean most people manage to sell good games without using dead animals.

Burger King not being one of them.
    zing!

FreddyD on
  • Options
    TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

But they did.

I'm well aware, but if it was a 'horrendous' idea, the caterer would not do it. Also, Sony probably hired the caterer because they were experienced with prepping animals for presentation.

Sony's suits didn't sit in a roundtable, and think 'I KNOW, LET'S KILL A GOAT WOOOOOOOO'

Which is pretty much the conclusion everyone leaped to.

With this new info, it's not nearly as bad as it seemed.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

But they did.

I'm not talking about health risks.

Caterers do what you tell them to do, whether it is morally reprehensable, or not. Maybe some caterers would refuse, but then they would have just gone to another one.

Like I said, health risks aren't the problem; the issue is the pressense of a decapitated goat.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Talonrazor wrote: »

But they did.

Which is pretty much the conclusion everyone leaped to.

With this new info, it's not nearly as bad as it seemed.

I disagree.

The issue isn't the circumstances of the goat, it's the usage of it at all.

Sony is using real life violence to sell a video game.

If a child was playing with a dead animal, it would be viewed as an issue; why not Sony?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Does anybody have a subscription to the UK Official Playstation Magazine?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    They should have stuffed butt roast into a donkey and served it to guests. Then they could eat an ass's ass out of the ass of an ass.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Killing a goat, hygenically cleaning its carcass, preparing its meat into a tasty dish: fine.

Killing a goat and using its untreated corpse as a serving tray: not fine.

This is still a pretty dumbass move.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    They should have stuffed butt roast into a donkey and served it to guests. Then they could eat an ass's ass out of the ass of an ass.
    Someone should probably sig this, really.

gilrain on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Again, I won't say I speak for everyone, but at least myself, and probably others. Its not the fact that a goat died, or parts of it was wasted, or anything like that. Its the fact that Sony filled a decapitated goat with soup to promote a party. Its just disrespectful. Killing an animal for food? Most of us don't have a problem. Personally, I can even understand hunting, though I wouldn't do it. But neither of these end up with presenting the dead creature(Mounting is a different story; Its a testament to the hunt and the skill of the hunter).

Again, its just disrespectful to showboat a dead creature to promote a party. If they had been serving some sort of goat dish, there would have been no problem. If they had a stuffed goat, little to no problem. Decapitated goat filled with soup? Problem.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    gilrain wrote: »
    Someone should probably sig this, really.
    Do it.
    For great justice.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    gilrain wrote: »
    Someone should probably zig this, really.
    Do it.
    For great justice.

Fixed

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    spectraspectra Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I liken all of this to Mythbusters using dead pigs as human analogues and shooting canonballs at them, trying to rip them in half with cables and other such things, and if using dead animals is cool for Mythbusters, than its cool for Sony too. No big deal.

spectra on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    spectra wrote: »
    I liken all of this to Mythbusters using dead pigs as human analogues and shooting canonballs at them, trying to rip them in half with cables and other such things, and if using dead animals is cool for Mythbusters, than its cool for Sony too. No big deal.

That was for SCIENCE!

Couscous on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    There is also the part where they put the picture of a goat with it's head cut off in the OPSM. I would regard the goat thing as just tacky and stupid without that. However, with it, it is just plain retarded. It doesn't help that some of the misconceptions come from the magazine itself thanks to the fact that the guy who wrote the article wasn't even there.

Yeah except that Sony don't run OPSM. OPSM, in fact, pay Sony to be the official magazine.

spectra: So much disrespect for animals! I think before killing any animals, we should ask them "hey, you mind if we kill you?" You gotta show them respect.

Now, excuse me while I go take out the rubbish and ruin the environment.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
This discussion has been closed.