As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sexy Sino-Soviet Cooperation [Chat]

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    I just heard someone outside yell "Oshawa!"

Yes, exactly.

You live in Oshawa?

I'm ... I'm so so sorry.

Lots of nearby mental health services without being the craziness and expense of downtown Toronto, plus Ontario Shores is nearby in Whitby. Plus I'm sorta situated equidistant from most of my important family members here, so it's not so bad. :)

Nobody has jobs, of course, but that's okay.

I never knew that about Oshawa and yet I'm not surprised at all. :P

(I have family out in Oshawa and I am incapable of not mocking them for it too)

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    I find it super weird how many people interpreted this OP to be in some sort of support of communist dictatorship, when the whole point of it is the amusingly homoerotic nature of sino-soviet propaganda posters. The source of the ironic humor is the combination of brutal repressive states and oddly out of place eroticism.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I just heard someone outside yell "Oshawa!"

Yes, exactly.

You live in Oshawa?

I'm ... I'm so so sorry.

Lots of nearby mental health services without being the craziness and expense of downtown Toronto, plus Ontario Shores is nearby in Whitby. Plus I'm sorta situated equidistant from most of my important family members here, so it's not so bad. :)

Nobody has jobs, of course, but that's okay.

I never knew that about Oshawa and yet I'm not surprised at all. :P

(I have family out in Oshawa and I am incapable of not mocking them for it too)

I've basically lived all over Southern and Southwestern Ontario at this point, and a townhouse in Oshawa ain't the worst place I've laid my head, so I'm happy with it :) There's a lot better and there's a lot worse, that's for sure.

Kana wrote: »
    I find it super weird how many people interpreted this OP to be in some sort of support of communist dictatorship, when the whole point of it is the amusingly homoerotic nature of sino-soviet propaganda posters. The source of the ironic humor is the combination of brutal repressive states and oddly out of place eroticism.

Fair, but have you also considered that both the loved shared with our fellow man and communism are great?

edited June 2017

Fair, but have you also considered that both the loved shared with our fellow man and communism are great?

I mean, I will say that writing off the CCP as just an evil organization is a pretty massive over-simplification. They generally weren't any worse than the nationalists, and at least of the CCP genuinely tried to help the peasant class and to bring China back together. The sins of the great leap forward are more about institutional incompetence, and I think the Cultural Revolution is better understood as more akin to a civil war than anything particular to the CCP's ideology.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I am going to create a Korean v-scroll webcomic about the will they won't they romantic hijinks of a Chinese man and a Russian man that goes on forever and never resolves

I will call it The Bear and The Dragon

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades

I mean, I will say that writing off the CCP as just an evil organization is a pretty massive over-simplification. They generally weren't any worse than the nationalists, and at least of the CCP genuinely tried to help the peasant class and to bring China back together. The sins of the great leap forward are more about institutional incompetence, and I think the Cultural Revolution is better understood as more akin to a civil war than anything particular to the CCP's ideology.

Having gone back and read the first two pages of this thread to understand the seriousness with which this topic was debated, I will say only that the idea that capitalism has no mountain of corpses to apologize for like the two major communist powers do is both shockingly uninformed and, as a Metis, a serious test of my quiet resolve.

That such an absurd belief can even propagate is proof only that a) winners write history and b) those "winners" very nearly did a perfect job of wiping out every last person they oppressed and destroyed for the sake of the almighty dollar.

knitdan wrote: »
    I am going to create a Korean v-scroll webcomic about the will they won't they romantic hijinks of a Chinese man and a Russian man that goes on forever and never resolves

I will call it The Bear and The Dragon

Knitdan what is up with you bringing up korean comics to me over and over and over again.

It's weird.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I apologize for being weird.

It's one of two things I associate with you and the other is history.

Not that it's an excuse; I'm just trying to explain where the thought process came from for the post.

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I played Rise of the Tomb Raider for like eight hours yesterday. It is a good game.

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I'm going to create a Korean v-scroll webcomic about a guy named Dan stalking a guy named Kana.

It's gonna be called "God Dan It, I Kana Do This Anymore"

vRyue2p.png
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Kana listen unless you make sure to put "capitalism rules communism drools USA USA USA" in your OP how are we meant to interpret this thread as anything other than being unequivocally and fully supportive of the various atrocities committed under communist regimes

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    The sequel, wherein Kana catches him and tries to dissuade him from his stalking ways, is going to be called Opening A Kana Whoopass

vRyue2p.png
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Earned my second chicken dinner this week in PUBG duos with my brother
    OqaKpIW.jpg

please note that my mag is empty in that screenshot because i had completely sprayed the final dude at point-blank as he came around the rock i'm hiding behind

if i hadn't killed that guy right when i did, i'd have been proper fucked as he'd have murdered me while i reloaded

my brother actually died in the first five minutes of the game, when we got ambushed by a duo while looting because he got separated from me for like a second. i avenged him (those two dudes were among those 4 kills)

that fight itself was intense, because i killed the first one of the pair, but had to retreat into a bathroom to reload, and while doing so his mate blasted me from behind with his shotgun

but my trusty frying pan absorbed 100% of the shot and i took zero damage, safely reloaded, spun around and lit the chap up with my vector

(frying pans are absolutely essential)

the 4th of those 4 kills, in case you were wondering, was from when my brother and i had to deal with a pair of other folk who landed in the same little villa as us when after the drop

we all did the Cornucopia Run (the mad dash to grab the nearest weapon and tilt at your enemy before they can do the same) and my brother and i get melee weapons before the other two could get anything

my brother got a crowbar, i got a frying pan and well

it was basically that stomp gif from Drive but with a frying pan and me yelling BORK BORK BORK between each swing

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Atomika wrote: »
    ME A was p fun tonight. Spent 3 hrs just reading backstory and talking to people. My fav part of those games cuz honestly there's plenty of better games for combat.

Tonight I got tired of Cora whining

"God, are any of these planets habitable carpcarpcarp . . . "

This is how I feel about PB

"Hey so you want to talk abo-"

"Nope!! And I don't plan to contribute unless it benefits whatever the fuck I'm doing in the escape pod lol AMA"

"... just launch the pod at Voeld with yourself inside. We'll get another at the Nexus"

Havelock2.0 on
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure this is the best review I've ever seen of a backpack
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPK4CbKTWJs

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The facial animation during the cut scenes is superb. Not enough raiding of tombs, though.

also a hilar moment from tonight's PUBG duos with my brother

our chosen LZ is the apartment complex in Yasnaya Polyana, with the intent of landing on the roof of said buildings, grabbing any weapons that might perchance be on said roof, and working our way down the building

(this tends to be safer than the alternative)

however, due to a lag bump while I am parachuting, i fuck up my dive, and my chute gets tangled in the alleyway between two apartment towers

...this also happens to another dude who is not my brother

my brother stuck his landing to the intended rooftop, however

so me and this other guy immediately get into a bareknuckle alley fight because we know A.) we each have a partner who is grabbing a gun to back us up and B.) only of us is making it out alive, so it's gonna be 2 vs. 1 against the partner of the guy who dies

I, sadly, lose the fist fight because I've taken a bunch of falling damage from the bad landing and tangled chute and this guy smoked me good with a superman punch, so I'm KO'd but not dead

the victor stands over me and starts smashing my head into the ground with his bare hands to try to finish it, and i call out for my brother to help me. my brother, as aforementioned, did make the proper landing on the roof, and has a choice

if he runs down the flight of stairs to try to save me, i will very likely be dead, and my killer will be gone

if he doesn't try to save me right now, he could gear up properly and possibly stand a better chance in a 2 vs. 1 against these guys, as the victor's partner is unknown at this point and is likely gearing up

instead, my brother grabs a double barrel shotgun that was sitting on top of the roof and jumps, dropping four stories and doing like half his health in damage to himself in the process, landing next to the guy pounding my head into mash

the guy sees my brother swooping down with a shotgun, realizes he's unarmed, and fucking bails

my brother revives me, we duck into a building where we mercifully find a first aid kit, get some weapons, etc.

the other two guys split, we never saw them again

fun fact: in his haste to grab the gun and get down to save me, my brother didn't grab any ammo and didn't load the gun

he dropped down four stories with an empty weapon to scare the piss out of a guy, and it worked

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    eMyywpgl.jpg

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Pony your PUBG stories make me want to shoot mans

Is it on the Steam sale?

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Is it on the Steam sale?

negative

it's early access, tbh it shouldn't go on sale, putting early access games on steam sale is scummy imo

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    everyone shut up and look at my cats

PO5mKtzl.jpg

That's Sam and Shade. They've been boyfriend and girlfriend for like 7 years.

As a footnote to that story about my brother jumping off the building

I, of course, asked him why he didn't just blast the guy with his shotgun and let him run away when he hit the ground, and he was like "oh, dude, this shit ain't loaded, I didn't grab the ammo for it, I forgot"

"...when did you realize that?"

"oh, about the second story down after I jumped, and it was a little late by then."

"right, have to commit at that point, I suppose."

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

Is it on the Steam sale?

negative

it's early access, tbh it shouldn't go on sale, putting early access games on steam sale is scummy imo

ehhhhhhhh

some people go about doing it the right way and you get a bunch of bonus goodies and occasionally get the developers who actually take your experiences with the game into account.

but yeah most early access shit is scummy these days it seems like.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I played Rise of the Tomb Raider for like eight hours yesterday. It is a good game.

There is nothing better than spending a day playing computer games by yourself every now and again. Maybe have a beer or two in the evening. Watch a stupid slasher flick to cap it off. Then be too afraid to go upstairs alone so play more games

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited June 2017
    Trace wrote: »

Is it on the Steam sale?

negative

ehhhhhhhh

some people go about doing it the right way and you get a bunch of bonus goodies and occasionally get the developers who actually take your experiences with the game into account.

no no, early access is fine

i mean early access has problems but that's not what the subject of my post was

putting early access games on sale is scummy

how can you put a discount on a pre-released product?

it ain't even fuckin' out yet

what is that bullshit

Pony on
    Trace wrote: »

Is it on the Steam sale?

negative

ehhhhhhhh

no no, early access is fine

i mean early access has problems but that's not what the subject of my post was

putting early access games on sale is scummy

how can you put a discount on a pre-released product?

it ain't even fuckin' out yet

what is that bullshit

oh yeah that's pure "I want money and the game is never getting completed" bullshit.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Sure have been a lot of chats glorifying murderous regimes that bathed in the blood of millions, in service to an ideology of tyranny and oppression.

I haven't seen a USA thread though

It's just not funny to me anymore, dude. You're laughing on a mountain of corpses. There's simply no equivalence and you're well aware. :(

Slavery and genocide of natives are just about as bad as anything another nation has done

And similar imagery glorifying it would be similarly disgusting. The point is not that America or capitalists are better (though they are) but that Stalinist or Maoist propaganda material should be at least as repulsive. At least!

also pulled off a post-mortem triple kill in PUBG today

me and my squad were in a firefight with another in the big school south of Rozhok

it was 4 v 4 at the outset of the tangle, but we killed 1 and they killed... 3

I was the last man alive on my team, and I knew I was pinned down in one of the class rooms, so I planned to chuck a frag out the doorway in hopes of trying to take as many as possible

instead, immediately after pulling the pin, i got rushed by all 3 dudes and they lit me up, and i just sorta tossed the nade and it bounced around the room

i died, and these jackals immediately set upon my body to snatch up my loot... and i guess ignored the distinctive sound of a grenade bouncing down?

because a split-second after i dropped, the frag went off, and i got credited with killing all three of them

NOW NOBODY WINS (someone else won there were like 40 people still left in the game when we died)

edited June 2017
    PUBG is the number 1 top seller during the Steam Sale even without being on sale, so they'd be silly to discount it anyway.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

me and my squad were in a firefight with another in the big school south of Rozhok

I was the last man alive on my team, and I knew I was pinned down in one of the class rooms, so I planned to chuck a frag out the doorway in hopes of trying to take as many as possible

instead, immediately after pulling the pin, i got rushed by all 3 dudes and they lit me up, and i just sorta tossed the nade and it bounced around the room

i died, and these jackals immediately set upon my body to snatch up my loot... and i guess ignored the distinctive sound of a grenade bouncing down?

because a split-second after i dropped, the frag went off, and i got credited with killing all three of them

NOW NOBODY WINS (someone else won there were like 40 people still left in the game when we died)

We had a similar situation happen, but the surviving 3 members of their team decided to file into VH's room one at a time, and give him time to reload.

I think one of them even dropped a helpful smoke to give him cover.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
    Mortious wrote: »

We had a similar situation happen, but the surviving 3 members of their team decided to file into VH's room one at a time, and give him time to reload.

I think one of them even dropped a helpful smoke to give him cover.

Yeah, it was pretty ridiculous. They tossed smokes in, and one ran into the room. He was just facing the wall, didn't even turn to me, so I killed him. His buddy ran in right afterwards, and I killed him too, emptying my clip. Then their last buddy wandered into the room, saw me reloading, and backed out. Nice guy, that one, letting me reload before he walked in again, only to get shot in the face by me.

Me and the gang were laughing our asses off.

vRyue2p.png
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    i take it PUBG is very good? my brother is pestering me to get it

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Sure have been a lot of chats glorifying murderous regimes that bathed in the blood of millions, in service to an ideology of tyranny and oppression.

I haven't seen a USA thread though

It's just not funny to me anymore, dude. You're laughing on a mountain of corpses. There's simply no equivalence and you're well aware. :(

Slavery and genocide of natives are just about as bad as anything another nation has done

And similar imagery glorifying it would be similarly disgusting. The point is not that America or capitalists are better (though they are) but that Stalinist or Maoist propaganda material should be at least as repulsive. At least!

So is ignoring America's history, because it feels uncomfortable. I'm not saying you do this, spool, but a lot on the right do. They feel absolutely no remorse over the actions the government committed, and some elements lionize one guy who is the poster boy for glorifying this - Andrew Jackson.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    James wrote: »

I do not enjoy it at all solo, but with 3+ it's probably my favourite game at the moment.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Was Signs during a really dry season?

• JamesJames Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Was Signs during a really dry season?

Must have been. How else would the aliens survive contact with our atmosphere?

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    We're a bit mean girl about game difficulties but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS1LmpiJFaM

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    James wrote: »

I do not enjoy it at all solo, but with 3+ it's probably my favourite game at the moment.

I think most games have an enjoyment arc like

multi w/randos < single player < multi w/friends

This discussion has been closed.