As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Obamacare repeal]: McConnell fails to pass disastrous bill. Country sighs in relief.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    AMA is opposed to the bill saying it violates the "First, do no harm" dictum.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Ouch.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Pubs still gunna try to pass it

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Pubs still gunna try to pass it

You don't say!

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Got my statement written up and am on hold with Sen. Murkowski's office now. After that Sen. Sullivan.

Then I get to go pee into a cup to check for microscopic blood in my urine. Yay!

EDIT: Got through to Murkowski after about 15 minutes. Sounds like they're slammed and the official word was "No official stance, but we have some serious concerns"

Instantly got through on Sullivan's line, so I guess nobody is bothering to speak to him. No official stance either "We're still combing through the bill" (Well gee, maybe you need more time to figure out what's in it!)

Let this be a lesson; call your Senators even IF they deep, deep red. Writing them off already definitely won't change anything.

Are you gunna call again tomorrow? Or maybe the next day?

I would keep calling throughout the week. If the pressure lets up on this over time...

Edit: Speaking of which, I should call my congresscritters again and tell them to keep up the pressure against this like they have been.

Label on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    Got my statement written up and am on hold with Sen. Murkowski's office now. After that Sen. Sullivan.

Then I get to go pee into a cup to check for microscopic blood in my urine. Yay!

EDIT: Got through to Murkowski after about 15 minutes. Sounds like they're slammed and the official word was "No official stance, but we have some serious concerns"

Instantly got through on Sullivan's line, so I guess nobody is bothering to speak to him. No official stance either "We're still combing through the bill" (Well gee, maybe you need more time to figure out what's in it!)

Let this be a lesson; call your Senators even IF they deep, deep red. Writing them off already definitely won't change anything.

Are you gunna call again tomorrow? Or maybe the next day?

I would keep calling throughout the week. If the pressure lets up on this over time...

Edit: Speaking of which, I should call my congresscritters again and tell them to keep up the pressure against this like they have been.

They have my name and address in a database. I imagine they'll know if it's the same people calling about the same issue and I'd just be tying up the phone line for others at that point.

• Options
    Johnson is super squishy

Also, CBO score this afternoon.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    U.S. Senate Republicans on Monday released changes to their healthcare bill, including a six-month waiting period for people who have let their insurance coverage lapse for over 63 days — about two months — and want to get insured again.

The change appeared aimed at deterring people from dropping health insurance to begin with, a concern that arose in part because the bill cancels the monetary penalty for being uninsured under the current law, known commonly as Obamacare.

This is onerous, not much of a deterrent against dropping coverage for young and healthy people, and might also discourage them for trying to get insurance again if they drop it because there will be no immediate change of status.

It's the worst of both worlds, and an extra shitty world added.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    It also probably runs afoul of the byrd rule.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

Kind of feel like they've dropped the fig leaf of reconciliation at this point. They get to 50, they'll get the bill through, that's about it.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Elki wrote: »
    U.S. Senate Republicans on Monday released changes to their healthcare bill, including a six-month waiting period for people who have let their insurance coverage lapse for over 63 days — about two months — and want to get insured again.

The change appeared aimed at deterring people from dropping health insurance to begin with, a concern that arose in part because the bill cancels the monetary penalty for being uninsured under the current law, known commonly as Obamacare.

This is onerous, not much of a deterrent against dropping coverage for young and healthy people, and might also discourage them for trying to get insurance again if they drop it because there will be no immediate change of status.

It's the worst of both worlds, and an extra shitty world added.

Considering that the AHCA also drops subsidies 15% and the CBO report said that they saw insurance companies increasing premiums by 20%, it's just more "Kick the poor while they're down" mentality.

Premiums are going to rise. Okay, they were going to rise anyways. But since the ACA insurance premiums have risen slower than any other time over the previous two decades. The AHCA is going to see premiums rise higher than under the ACA and the government is going to help out with them less. Meaning that the out-of-pocket cost before you use insurance is going to go up higher. Now they want to make it so that if you don't keep that insurance that you can no longer afford, you can't get it back in any reasonable amount of time later.

The new AHCA. The H is for Homicide.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Mr Khan wrote: »

Kind of feel like they've dropped the fig leaf of reconciliation at this point. They get to 50, they'll get the bill through, that's about it.
    As I understand it, this would open up actions Senate Ds could take in response, potentially challenging stuff in court (see Blunt's comment near the bottom). Tho it depends on the specifics of how it was added, maybe?

The more I read about the reconciliation process the less I understand it.* The intent of it is clear, but the specifics seem incredibly murky. It might not even need to be revenue neutral in this instance, just not increase the deficit.

* I expect McConnell fully understands it, however.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    CBO has released its score

- 22 million fewer people would have coverage under the bill in 2026
    - CBO projected the bill would reduce the federal deficit by $321 million, more than the $119 million in savings in the House bill. To qualify under Senate rules, the BCRA was required to cut more from he deficit than the AHCA

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    and Nate Silver (538) brings a better numerical breakdown:

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    (billion, not million)

But overall, pretty much the same except people ramp off the exchanges even faster under the Senate bill.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    yaaaaay.

• Options
    I guess if it's much faster, then that's good news for Dems in the midterms? :? :(

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    I don't really know what to say.

If you put a person in a room with a button and told them that if you push it 14 million people lose health insurance pretty much immediately, 10's of thousands would die... nobody could actually do that... And if they did they'd be monsters.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    And this is 51 people getting together and all agreeing to slam that mother fucking button while 48 beg them not to (and 2 vote no to save their own asses)

• Options
    wazilla wrote: »
    And this is 51 people getting together and all agreeing to slam that mother fucking button while 48 beg them not to (and 2 vote no to save their own asses)

You don't understand, people who are already very very very rich will save 2% on their tax bill. Anything is worth that, clearly.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Next year stuff: 4m lose Medicaid, 4m lose employer based coverage, 7 lose individual market coverage.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    How do people lose employer based coverage under this bill?

• Options
    edited June 2017
    ACA had penalties if companies larger than 500 employees didn't offer healthcare for full time workers.

I imagine those are gone as fuck.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

There is something in the heads of each and every one of these people that justifies them pushing the button. They don't consider poor people to be of value, they consider their wealth to be the equivalent of divine right, they believe they are superior and so actions that benefit them are morally right, etc, etc, etc.

It's really easy to be a monster. All it takes is a belief that the "other" is sub-human.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    ACA had penalties if companies didn't offer coverage at certain sizes for full time workers.

I imagine those are gone as fuck.

Oh ok that makes sense then.

The higher budget deficit savings will give the GOP more room to work with to convert moderates, but they have 4 more days to do that if they want it by the recess.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Premiums down 30% in 2020*!

*Because less stuff is covered, but details

EDIT: Also out of pocket costs will still go up. There's your counter to the main GOP talking point which is going to be "lower premiums!"

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    I don't really know what to say.

If you put a person in a room with a button and told them that if you push it 14 million people lose health insurance pretty much immediately, 10's of thousands would die... nobody could actually do that... And if they did they'd be monsters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7rzIwrEqpw

• Options
    Hahaha, the dishonestly here is hilarious. It's budget neutral because they assume the "cadillac tax" will be reinstated in 2026.

• Options
    CBO also says the Medicaid effects after 2026 would be disastrous for the program, but they don't have a baseline projection to compare against.

• Options
    Cassidy is "more concerned" now.

I think any Republican Senator who uses the word "concerned" should be whapped with a rolled up newspaper.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    McConnell amended the BABAdook or whatever this bill's abbreviation is, today.

Specifically, he added a penalty to people who are uninsured. If you go 63 days without insurance, you have to wait six months before you can get insurance again. I can't even wrap my head around that shit.

Source.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    MSNBC person:

It does not even solve the actual issue.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    McConnell amended the BABAdook or whatever this bill's abbreviation is, today.

Specifically, he added a penalty to people who are uninsured. If you go 63 days without insurance, you have to wait six months before you can get insurance again. I can't even wrap my head around that shit.

Source.

Why doesn't Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield just stick a giant needle in my spinal cord and take out all the fluid they need for mixing the signature cocktail for the uberwealthy, it'll be quicker and less painful

22 million is laughable, if it weren't so fucking scary

22 million! Good job guys! You shaved off 2 million insurance losses. You're really taking this seriously.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    The Vaults BCRA were never meant to save anyone.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    MSNBC person:

It does not even solve the actual issue.

No, the extremely wealthy will pay less taxes. That's the issue they are trying to solve.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    The Vaults BCRA were never meant to save anyone.

Killing poor people is a feature, not a bug

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hahaha, the dishonestly here is hilarious. It's budget neutral because they assume the "cadillac tax" will be reinstated in 2026.

Oh does the CBO still have to accept whatever random things they stipulate?

• Options

Oh does the CBO still have to accept whatever random things they stipulate?

That's what the legislation says, so yeah. If we assume we're not all pants on head stupid, then obviously the thing is a budgetary mess because spoilers cutting taxes is bad for the deficit.

• Options
    (Mitchell & Webb Kill The Poor sketch here)

I don't know that it's necessarily a feature, they need these people to vote republican to keep them in power. They just don't care about them in any way shape or form beyond that, and they expect that the media they consume will keep the blame on Obama and the democrats.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    I called both Senators. Told Gardner he needs to not only vote against it but speak out against it. Told Bennett he needed to get Gardner to vote against it and speak out against it, and also thanks for his vote against it.

Gardner has really dropped off the radar with this and it's sad. Seemed like I wasn't the only one out there blowing up his phone though. Took me 4 tries to get through to his answering machine.

This discussion has been closed.