As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel [MCU] Infinity War trailer DOES put a smile on my face

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Guys I'm so excited for Punisher now. I like shootbangs and hope we get brutal and stay close to the ground like DDS1.

I'm not sure about Frank's hair though. Jon Berenthal doesn't look like what I thought Frank would look like (I kind of wanted Tom Hardy but Berenthal fucking nailed it anyway) and the hair looks weird. It reminds me of English Edwardian gangster hair.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Guys I'm so excited for Punisher now. I like shootbangs and hope we get brutal and stay close to the ground like DDS1.

I'm not sure about Frank's hair though. Jon Berenthal doesn't look like what I thought Frank would look like (I kind of wanted Tom Hardy but Berenthal fucking nailed it anyway) and the hair looks weird. It reminds me of English Edwardian gangster hair.

He has the attitude down, which is the important part. The hair being wrong is silly on the same level of "Jackman is too tall to play Logan."

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    shryke wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »
    Controversial opinion: Danny isn't as bad as people make him sound. He's meh so far (2 eps in for me), but his worst sin is just being not all the interesting. It's a shame because he seems really cool in the comics but "rich super dude with dead parents" is well tread ground and pretty lame compared to the other 3.

I said this in the Defenders thread, but Iron Fist seemed to insist Danny wasn't a jackass, but Defenders is willing to paint him like a cranky tantrum prone child. One makes him a bad character, the other makes him a bad person.

That was not my impression at all. Iron Fist was very aware that he's immature and kind of a doofus.

Nowhere near enough IMO. He did some screwed up shit, and was barely called on it - he was forgiven way to easily (everything to do with Colleen and her dojo), and his corporate shenanigans were bad, but it felt like the writers didn't realize the implications of why they were bad.

edit: Thankfully all of this is gone in Defenders.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Like, seriously, if you look at Iron Fist and see what it's main sort of theme that it's constantly reintroducing in different ways with every story and character, it's damaged children and their abusive fathers.

Danny is, right from the hints we get in the first episode, clearly supposed to be a damaged person from abuse and emotional trauma who lacks the tools and experience needed to process the world he returns to. He's immature, anger-prone and has neither the knowledge and experience to navigate his way through the situations he encounters nor the emotional maturity to handle it all.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Like, seriously, if you look at Iron Fist and see what it's main sort of theme that it's constantly reintroducing in different ways with every story and character, it's damaged children and their abusive fathers.

Danny is, right from the hints we get in the first episode, clearly supposed to be a damaged person from abuse and emotional trauma who lacks the tools and experience needed to process the world he returns to. He's immature, anger-prone and has neither the knowledge and experience to navigate his way through the situations he encounters nor the emotional maturity to handle it all.

This is giving the show more credit than it deserves. He doesn't get into
    Hand kicking mode until ep 6.
    The show is clearly operating with the bare basics of a premise which they contort as they go along, and they really don't clown on Danny as much as they should be. He gets it ten times worse in Defenders, on that show they have vastly more self awareness of what the character's doing wrong and punish him for it.

edit: Seriously,
    trying to get Colleen's to date him by paying her dojo's building and she's cool with that? Or that time he attacked her student during training to punish him for failing, which was never mentioned again.
    And that's not getting into his corporate adventures.

edit: Earlier in the show he was
    literally stalking Joy, something he finds perfectly normal to do to a "friend." He's never given time to adjust to that, that only ends once she sends him to the asylum than it's never mentioned again.
    His adaption to New York is very bad character development.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Maybe he just saw way too much Arrow before he came back to the world and thinks that's just normal stuff for a rich vigilante to do.

Arrow is a documentary, right?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    What interest me about Danny is why, given he is half of the Diagnostic and Statistcal Manual of Mental Disorders with legs, did some mystical dragon find him worthy of being the Iron Fist? Was the dragon drunk or something?

Nobeard on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I haven't finished defenders yet, but it's pretty clear that they have Danny on an arc towards something that more people are going to like him as. He's clearly gone through character growth, and he's acting as a stand in for some things that audiences don't necessarily want to identify with, so I get why people aren't huge fans of his. None of that means that his character don't have value to the story, though.

Edit: I will also say that the thought "what in the hell is Colleen still doing with this guy" has crossed my mind multiple times. As a general statement, the Netflix marvel females could do much better than the dudes on offer.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I haven't finished defenders yet, but it's pretty clear that they have Danny on an arc towards something that more people are going to like him as. He's clearly gone through character growth, and he's acting as a stand in for some things that audiences don't necessarily want to identify with, so I get why people aren't huge fans of his. None of that means that his character don't have value to the story, though.

Edit: I will also say that the thought "what in the hell is Colleen still doing with this guy" has crossed my mind multiple times. As a general statement, the Netflix marvel females could do much better than the dudes on offer.

Uh...

Luke Cage is a pretty damn fine man

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Luke is pretty much the lone exception.

Definitely the only one of the headliners that isn't pure life poison.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    I was pretty disappointed that they
    didn't get around to Luke's leadership chops in Defenders. Even with his not-actually-criminal background, he's the least fucked up of the four. He does a lot of what he does out of compassion, and he doesn't really like hurting people. He's well-read and a good strategist (Check these fools). He's got the same drive to help others, but without Matt's self-destructive psychology

I think, dealing with Fisk, he'd be more likely to say "find a way to save your city, without hurting these people" before he started tossing out threats.

He's even willing to defer to people he sees as more experienced or wise in certain situations, like Pop

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Only episode 3 so far, but I'm digging it. Fight scenes much improved from Iron Fist.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    it was kind of hard to find at first but there is a Defenders topic here https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/213412/defenders-of-the-earth

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Spoiler for end of episode 2:
    Luke vs Danny fight in ep 2 was pretty great.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

Yes but maybe spoiler that stuff?

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »

Yes but maybe spoiler that stuff?

Done y done, sorry.

• Options
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    didn't get around to Luke's leadership chops in Defenders. Even with his not-actually-criminal background, he's the least fucked up of the four. He does a lot of what he does out of compassion, and he doesn't really like hurting people. He's well-read and a good strategist (Check these fools). He's got the same drive to help others, but without Matt's self-destructive psychology

I think, dealing with Fisk, he'd be more likely to say "find a way to save your city, without hurting these people" before he started tossing out threats.

He's even willing to defer to people he sees as more experienced or wise in certain situations, like Pop

Like I said, I haven't finished yet, but;
    They're making it clear that Luke is both the only one that all of the others could and would work with on their own terms and the only one who is in it for all of the right reasons. He's the moral leader and glue for the group, even if he's not nominally in charge of it.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

They're making it clear that Luke is both the only one that all of the others could and would work with on their own terms and the only one who is in it for all of the right reasons. He's the moral leader and glue for the group, even if he's not nominally in charge of it.

Which is the only thing that makes sense and what everyone predicted from the start I think.

I mean, of the 4, only one of them is not completely fucked up.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Which is the only thing that makes sense and what everyone predicted from the start I think.

I mean, of the 4, only one of them is not completely fucked up.

And that's how you know this is a show based on the Marvel Universe.

• Options
    Maybe he just saw way too much Arrow before he came back to the world and thinks that's just normal stuff for a rich vigilante to do.

Arrow is a documentary, right?

Ollie at his nadir isn't as clueless as Danny boy is in his show, and he's aware what he's doing us fucked up and feels guilty when he crosses the line. And he's actually got a high level body count to his name, has Danny actually killed a Hand person yet?

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    PH6dBSFha5ZZ9f_1_l.jpg

Released a picture of Frank Castle in a more recognizable 'Punisher' garb.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    PH6dBSFha5ZZ9f_1_l.jpg

Released a picture of Frank Castle in a more recognizable 'Punisher' garb.

Victoria's Secret new tactical line, coming Fall, 2018.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    What interest me about Danny is why, given he is half of the Diagnostic and Statistcal Manual of Mental Disorders with legs, did some mystical dragon find him worthy of being the Iron Fist? Was the dragon drunk or something?

We don't have a lot of details on what the trial entails. I feel like maybe it does not involve beating a dragon at kung fu because they aren't anatomically equipped for it.
    I suspect whatever the trial was, the monks did not expect Danny to succeed but he did something that was some combination of angry, stubborn, and improbably stupid that he succeeded in spite of himself.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    it looks like he's wearing a Madonna bra

(I can see the outline of the top of the skull on his shoulders but still lolz)

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Looks good, would still like trench coat

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Looks good, would still like trench coat

Agreed, a properly lined trenchcoat with several loops for holding long guns means you don't know what he's bringing to the party till it's aimed at your face.

And the lines look awesome in silhouette.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Did we see him adopt any skull imagery in Daredevil?

I'm just curious where the look supposedly comes from this time around, for a dude who would be more at home in flat black or urban camo in most cases.

• Options
    His skull X-ray

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

I'm just curious where the look supposedly comes from this time around, for a dude who would be more at home in flat black or urban camo in most cases.

He was just hanging around with a guy dressed as Hot Stuff, so maybe the effectiveness of that inspired him.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular

When he got shanked in prison the blood on his shirt looked vaguely like a skull and I think he saw it distorted in a reflection somewhere.

• Options
    This is a world with superheroes. In his broken up mind, wearing a symbol on his chest could further separate him from Frank Castle and see himself more as The Punisher.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited August 2017

Yeah
    He wears basically the same thing in the final episode of DD Season 2

Edit

Complete with trench coat
    daredevil-season-2-poster.jpg

Joolander on
  • Options
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    This is a world with superheroes. In his broken up mind, wearing a symbol on his chest could further separate him from Frank Castle and see himself more as The Punisher.

Which is interesting because it makes him a hypocrite for telling Matt that wearing his mask is basically cowardly.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    But it doesn't conceal his face - I'd say it's not for hiding who he is, just showing what he stands for.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    It tears his "true self" away from the alter ego/symbol he's trying to make though, like he accused Matt of. He's no longer the (paraphrase), "Soldier that doesn't get to put on a mask," he is trying to become his mask.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    It's also, it seems(?), all he sees himself as now

Not a hero, not a soldier, not a person- just that blank skull with a chunk of lead in it

Also, I just wrote a Korn song

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, Frank Castle is dead, there is only the Punisher. There's nothing for him to protect or conceal, so why bother with a mask?

Additionally, it's not like eyewitnesses are a habitual issues for him, seeing as he tends to just kill everyone he considers a problem. Nobody to testify in court if they're all, well, bodies. On the floor. And other places.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

cMBhjU3.jpg

• Options
    Yeah, Frank Castle is dead, there is only the Punisher. There's nothing for him to protect or conceal, so why bother with a mask?

Additionally, it's not like eyewitnesses are a habitual issues for him, seeing as he tends to just kill everyone he considers a problem. Nobody to testify in court if they're all, well, bodies. On the floor. And other places.

He kills criminals, not witnesses.
    That's why he let Karen and DD live.

• Options

cMBhjU3.jpg

I don't have a picture or screencap. But when he's on the roof at the end with the Sniper Rifle he is wearing a vest with the skull painted on it.

This discussion has been closed.