As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel [MCU] Infinity War trailer DOES put a smile on my face

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I hope that Mahani teams up with Misty Knight at some point so she can train Knight in how to to be competent at your job.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Punisher politics ep 9
    This is the second Marvel tv show to directly address political issues straight on, after Luke Cage. Maybe Jessica Jones?

Half way through and Karen's on a radio show talking about being pro-gun control going up against a right wing terrorist who blew up an ATF, police precinct and court house buildings. No holding back, on either side. The anti-gun control side also is the radio host, who doesn't approve of the terrorists methods but agrees with his beliefs.

This is the first time in the Marvel universe characters also been openly categorized as liberal, as well. Karen officially works for a liberal newspaper!

I love it.

I think they had to do that, so many people who never read Ennis' Punisher have no idea what the character is about, they just assume he's some pro-gun right wing nut job that kills people. Welcome Back Frank was great with how they had the Vigilante Squad as a contrast to Frank

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I hope that Mahani teams up with Misty Knight at some point so she can train Knight in how to to be competent at your job.

Hahaha, what? Full season spoilers
    Mahani got about 200 agents brutally murdered over the course of this show. She capped it all off by getting shot in the face.
    She's a terrible agent being propped up by a vigilante who happens to be the god of war.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Carson’s Revelations
    Fucking boooo. Why couldn’t they just leave it as his family dying in the crossfire of gang violence? That is his driving motivation or at least one motivation that makes Frank the Punisher. “We set it up” is so boring!

Edit: I think with Punisher they really needed to take a good hard look at this stuff and basically cut it in half. There is too much padding. It’s not like Iron Fist where the story they were trying to tell was just kind of underwhelming, nonsensical, and boring and almost no one in the cast had the chops or training for it. This series so far is okay, but could have been way better by more and better editing.

Edit 2: Micro is good though. Helps that he’s got one of the better actors. Hope they don’t take MAX to heart with him...

Edit 3: action’s also pretty good. Some fast cuts but they usually show the actual impacts of hits and such.

Yeah. Agree pretty hard here.

Funsworth's late mid-season review (just started Ep. 9 before deciding to stop for the night):
    They've made some major changes to Frank's character here I am not a fan of. In the comics Frank is a broken protector. He was a stand-up guy, model citizen and soldier, who just happened to be an ungodly nightmare in combat. Until the death of his family he was by all accounts pretty well held together and the ideal husband, father, and community member. His family's murder is an act of senseless violence that irrevocably breaks him and he wages his war on crime so that nobody else has to experience what he did,
    or just because he wants to hurt somebody, depending on how introspective or self loathing or both he is on any given day.

Now he's a kid who was naturally violent and mean that joined the military and excelled at killing. He was part of a black ops unit that comics Castle never would have taken part in. Maybe if was wearing the camera (but really he would have murdered everybody a lot sooner than he does).
    His family is slaughtered for his sins. His core motivation is gone and replaced with anger at some guys who were just a little bit dirtier than he is...

Eh...

Bernthal's performance on the other hand is superb.
    I forget who it was that said that it seems like he studied the source material more than the writers, but yes.
    Definitely. I'm enjoying this much more than the writing deserves because of his performance. Dude is just inhabiting the role in a way that makes him engrossing to watch every moment he's on screen.

Micro is also amazing. The murderous odd couple is my favorite new show y'all. Also can I get a YouTube series where the Punisher tries new things. Dude likes rosé. :p

The fight choreography is great. I haven't been this entertained since Daredevil. I thought the blacked out fight occasionally lit up by gunfire was engaging, and I also liked the smoke fight even though it was low budget af. Both of them were filmed well enough, and the second had enough twists that I was entertained throughout.

It is a drama punctuated with beautiful violence. It's borrowing from some of the best bits of the character and his world that's ever been written, but at the same time they're going off in their own direction a little too much. It almost feels like they felt the character needed to be a little darker with the changes they made. But like, dude strung up a guy by the intestines in Slavers. Y'all didn't need to sacrifice his core values to make him more gritty.
    It seems like they based this version on Garth Ennis MAX version, where Frank has been exposed to horrible violence pretty much his entire life, and became obsessed with war during his time in Vietnam where Nick Fury found him and recommended him for promotion despite his age. Unlike the main comics, MAX Frank didnt know how to function as a regular family man and part of why he fights his war on crime is punishing himself because he was planning on divorcing Maria and taking Fury's offer to be part of a black ops squad.
    His character was still pretty unimpeachable though dude. It doesn't help that there's a new Ennis MAX series about Frank's time in Vietnam running right now.

Also it bothers me that Rawlins is just some white ass CIA dude. Guy was brown in the comics. Or at least passably Arabic.

• Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Carson’s Revelations
    Fucking boooo. Why couldn’t they just leave it as his family dying in the crossfire of gang violence? That is his driving motivation or at least one motivation that makes Frank the Punisher. “We set it up” is so boring!

Edit: I think with Punisher they really needed to take a good hard look at this stuff and basically cut it in half. There is too much padding. It’s not like Iron Fist where the story they were trying to tell was just kind of underwhelming, nonsensical, and boring and almost no one in the cast had the chops or training for it. This series so far is okay, but could have been way better by more and better editing.

Edit 2: Micro is good though. Helps that he’s got one of the better actors. Hope they don’t take MAX to heart with him...

Edit 3: action’s also pretty good. Some fast cuts but they usually show the actual impacts of hits and such.

Funsworth's late mid-season review (just started Ep. 9 before deciding to stop for the night):
    They've made some major changes to Frank's character here I am not a fan of. In the comics Frank is a broken protector. He was a stand-up guy, model citizen and soldier, who just happened to be an ungodly nightmare in combat. Until the death of his family he was by all accounts pretty well held together and the ideal husband, father, and community member. His family's murder is an act of senseless violence that irrevocably breaks him and he wages his war on crime so that nobody else has to experience what he did,
    or just because he wants to hurt somebody, depending on how introspective or self loathing or both he is on any given day.

Now he's a kid who was naturally violent and mean that joined the military and excelled at killing. He was part of a black ops unit that comics Castle never would have taken part in. Maybe if was wearing the camera (but really he would have murdered everybody a lot sooner than he does).
    His family is slaughtered for his sins. His core motivation is gone and replaced with anger at some guys who were just a little bit dirtier than he is...

Eh...

I forget who it was that said that it seems like he studied the source material more than the writers, but yes.
    Definitely. I'm enjoying this much more than the writing deserves because of his performance. Dude is just inhabiting the role in a way that makes him engrossing to watch every moment he's on screen.

Micro is also amazing. The murderous odd couple is my favorite new show y'all. Also can I get a YouTube series where the Punisher tries new things. Dude likes rosé. :p

The fight choreography is great. I haven't been this entertained since Daredevil. I thought the blacked out fight occasionally lit up by gunfire was engaging, and I also liked the smoke fight even though it was low budget af. Both of them were filmed well enough, and the second had enough twists that I was entertained throughout.

It is a drama punctuated with beautiful violence. It's borrowing from some of the best bits of the character and his world that's ever been written, but at the same time they're going off in their own direction a little too much. It almost feels like they felt the character needed to be a little darker with the changes they made. But like, dude strung up a guy by the intestines in Slavers. Y'all didn't need to sacrifice his core values to make him more gritty.
    It seems like they based this version on Garth Ennis MAX version, where Frank has been exposed to horrible violence pretty much his entire life, and became obsessed with war during his time in Vietnam where Nick Fury found him and recommended him for promotion despite his age. Unlike the main comics, MAX Frank didnt know how to function as a regular family man and part of why he fights his war on crime is punishing himself because he was planning on divorcing Maria and taking Fury's offer to be part of a black ops squad.
    His character was still pretty unimpeachable though dude. It doesn't help that there's a new Ennis MAX series about Frank's time in Vietnam running right now.

Also it bothers me that Rawlins is just some white ass CIA dude. Guy was brown in the comics. Or at least passably Arabic.

He wasnt brown, he just looked like he might be Italian or somethng

• Options
    Holy shit, EP8
    That kid telling Frank to "do it" broke me.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Carson’s Revelations

Eh...

Also it could be like with Daredevil...
    where the Owl character was actually the father of the comics Owl. This Rawlins the III might just be related to the comic Rawlins who they could bring in later seasons

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Carson’s Revelations

Eh...

He was actually half arab and half white. Which makes a slur he uses kind of hypocritical.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Maybe it's time for a Punisher thread?

• Options
    edited November 2017
    So I'm not finished but nearly. I don't get the complaints, it's a solid show, competently shot, well written. I would say it's biggest sin is the change of

(up to ep 10 spoilers)
    origin, only because here his mission is portrayed as a choice now. Once he finishes getting vengeance on the crime families he just stops. This isn't meant to be optional for him, and so for a lot of the series it's spent in contemplation. It's crime is that there just isn't a whole lot of punishing going on.

It really could have used a mid-level boss like Lewis but 4 episodes earlier to break up the discussion. It needed that Daredevil Hallway or Daredevil Stairwell scene or just Punisher Jail scene where we are shown just how much of a badass he is. Most of the time he's injured. Compare that to just 4 episodes of Daredevil when he is fucking shit up massively. When he's got a mission he is a devil, but there's no mission for a huge chunk of the series. It could have done with being 3 episodes shorter. Bring lewis in at ep 4 to demonstrate the Punisher, then they can resume the hunt for Rawlins. The other problem with lewis is that he isn't some kind of problem that only the Punisher can stop. Anyone could have stopped him, the Punisher wasn't needed.

The only probable plot hole is that Curtis would have told the police that Castle saved him and had nothing to do with Lewis,.

It also does pretty much if not entirely ignore the larger MCU.

But I liked it. It's better than IF, Defenders or Luke Cage. Not as interesting as DD, DD2, or JJ. And the lack of any unique villains hurts it, even if they are well written for what they are.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Could we list what episodes we're spoiling in standalone posts like that @AlphaRomero & thread? Because I took "not done by nearly" to mean you had more than a few episodes left but I think I just got spoiled. =/

• Options
    Sorry Giggles, type on my end, should have said "but nearly"

• Options
    Just finished watching the whole season. I really liked it overall, probably my favorite MCU Netflix show next to Jessica Jones and DD season one. I hate that the Marvel Netflix partnership is ending, but at least we might get a second season of Punisher. Had Disney said anything about the future of these shows?

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Rawlins comes off as a generic CIA prick. I am pretty sure that's as close to that character as we're gonna get, which is a disappointment.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Actors get better over time. Maybe they were just uncomfortable at first.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    WTF

Punisher ep 13 spoilers
    Who did Nadahi's actress piss off? She gets a random alert to the gunfight (i dont even know how that happened), turns up, gets shot dead immediately.

...Ok now shes alive. WTF was that decision?

That end fight is everything it needed to be though, and sets up Jigsaw.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    Ahahaha, assassin’s creed blade.

• Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Rawlins comes off as a generic CIA prick. I am pretty sure that's as close to that character as we're gonna get, which is a disappointment.

Yeah, somehow I dont think Netflix is going to go with the MAX version of "pansexual, misogynist, homophobic, racist Al-Quaida trainer"

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Hahaha, what? Full season spoilers
    Mahani got about 200 agents brutally murdered over the course of this show. She capped it all off by getting shot in the face.
    She's a terrible agent being propped up by a vigilante who happens to be the god of war.
    She got outplayed by people better than she was, who included the Punisher himself, Micro, the CIA, and Anvil. She did great for fighting outside her weight class, and yeah when you fail those people are going to cause casualties.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    So I'm not finished but nearly. I don't get the complaints, it's a solid show, competently shot, well written. I would say it's biggest sin is the change of

(up to ep 10 spoilers)
    origin, only because here his mission is portrayed as a choice now. Once he finishes getting vengeance on the crime families he just stops. This isn't meant to be optional for him, and so for a lot of the series it's spent in contemplation. It's crime is that there just isn't a whole lot of punishing going on.

It really could have used a mid-level boss like Lewis but 4 episodes earlier to break up the discussion. It needed that Daredevil Hallway or Daredevil Stairwell scene or just Punisher Jail scene where we are shown just how much of a badass he is. Most of the time he's injured. Compare that to just 4 episodes of Daredevil when he is fucking shit up massively. When he's got a mission he is a devil, but there's no mission for a huge chunk of the series. It could have done with being 3 episodes shorter. Bring lewis in at ep 4 to demonstrate the Punisher, then they can resume the hunt for Rawlins. The other problem with lewis is that he isn't some kind of problem that only the Punisher can stop. Anyone could have stopped him, the Punisher wasn't needed.

The only probable plot hole is that Curtis would have told the police that Castle saved him and had nothing to do with Lewis,.

It also does pretty much if not entirely ignore the larger MCU.

But I liked it. It's better than IF, Defenders or Luke Cage. Not as interesting as DD, DD2, or JJ. And the lack of any unique villains hurts it, even if they are well written for what they are.

Ep 10
    Lewis, like many characters, was a dark reflection on Frank. His sub-plot overlap with various themes related to Frank and the military. Punisher stops all sorts of problems, with the difference in that when he catches up with enemies they get a bullet.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    ... seriously, why don't we just have a Punisher thread?

I'd make it, but I haven't even started watching, so to call it half assed would be too generous by half.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I really cant wait until Black Panther.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I meant to address something said earlier...
    Zavian wrote: »
    I hate that the Marvel Netflix partnership is ending

Waitwhat?

At a glance, I'm seeing speculative articles that Disney may have a streaming service coming that could impact such things, but this sounds awfully definitive.

Did I miss an article or something in the last week?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

Waitwhat?

At a glance, I'm seeing speculative articles that Disney may have a streaming service coming that could impact such things, but this sounds awfully definitive.

Is it more just a speculation because of Disney bringing their own streaming service? That they'll just let the current netflix contracts expire then make further stuff afterwards for their own service?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options

Waitwhat?

Is it more just a speculation because of Disney bringing their own streaming service? That they'll just let the current netflix contracts expire then make further stuff afterwards for their own service?

Why not keep their current contracts with Netflix, then do Disney exclusive streaming Marvel shows there? Win, win.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Yeah, new Marvel shows are about the only thing that could persuade me to even give a shit about the Disney streaming service, much less subscribe to it.

• Options
    Marvel should explore bringing back formats like the One Shots, and low budget streaming/tv channel movies. Those which are popular can become tv series down the line.

• Options
    Was going by this WSJ article about how Disney is trying to bury Netflix in the next few years, having already announced they're pulling all content to their own service. Not sure what the current plan is for Marvel Netflix but WSJ doesn't paint a rosy picture

https://www.wsj.com/articles/streaming-dreams-drove-disneys-interest-in-fox-assets-1510137002

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Marvel should explore bringing back formats like the One Shots, and low budget streaming/tv channel movies. Those which are popular can become tv series down the line.

Marvel/Disney should never go low budget on their properties. Inhumans being a great example of a promising Marvel property that was absolutely ruined by going low budget. They have plenty of money to spend, and totally agree with the One Shots idea, would love to see an anthology series like Black Mirror where each episode is a standalone exploring different parts of the MCU. Maybe even let some of their highly talented creative roster from the comics side do some writing

Zavian on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The lower budget would make them more willing to experiment. Inhumans didn't suck because it had a lot budget, it just sucked.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    The lower budget would make them more willing to experiment. Inhumans didn't suck because it had a lot budget, it just sucked.

Development hell, lousy people behind the camera, crippled budget there is a lot to unpack there

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options

If lower budget meant letting comic writers do stuff, then yeah that would be great. Inhumans and Iron Fist suffered from bad writers and showrunners, who Disney picked because they were TV industry people (IF showrunner was last season of Dexter showrunner). Sometimes they make solid choices like getting the Spartacus showrunner to do DD, but they haven't really let their comics people do anything besides animated stuff

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017

If lower budget meant letting comic writers do stuff, then yeah that would be great. Inhumans and Iron Fist suffered from bad writers and showrunners, who Disney picked because they were TV industry people (IF showrunner was last season of Dexter showrunner). Sometimes they make solid choices like getting the Spartacus showrunner to do DD, but they haven't really let their comics people do anything besides animated stuff

Honestly, I think it's not a bad move. They actually clashed about this awhile ago, and when Marvel Studios was made more independent, that was a win for them. Bendis and co suddenly had mich less influence, and that was when we got an announcement that a woman would actually lead a movie(finally), and I think the announcement of Black Panther as well. I don't need Nick Spencer infecting the MCU.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Honestly, I think it's not a bad move. They actually clashed about this awhile ago, and when Marvel Studios was made more independent, that was a win for them. Bendis and co suddenly had mich less influence, and that was when we got an announcement that a woman would actually lead a movie(finally), and I think the announcement of Black Panther as well. I don't need Nick Spencer infecting the MCU.

I could use some live action Warren Ellis (even though his animated stuff has been great, like Castlevania). And (imo) luckily Bendis signed a DC exclusive. In the past few years Marvel has acquired some great female writers as well, would be nice to see them let loose on some live action projects

Zavian on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Me and the kid I've been looking after were actually doing a slow rewatch of the Netflix stuff in the buildup to the punisher, and by accident due to crappy work schedules we discovered something.

The Marvel Netflix stuff , is kinda a lot better, if you don't Binge watch it. I dunno if it's just the stretching doesn't get as obvious or what , but each episode seems stronger on this rewatch?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Me and the kid I've been looking after were actually doing a slow rewatch of the Netflix stuff in the buildup to the punisher, and by accident due to crappy work schedules we discovered something.

The Marvel Netflix stuff , is kinda a lot better, if you don't Binge watch it. I dunno if it's just the stretching doesn't get as obvious or what , but each episode seems stronger on this rewatch?

I really wouldn't mind if they released each episode weekly. You'd think that would increase subscription continuations and thus more money as well, but I guess binge releases are the standard now.

Zavian on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Waitwhat?

Why not keep their current contracts with Netflix, then do Disney exclusive streaming Marvel shows there? Win, win.

Because the word "exclusive"? Kinda means they won't be showing the stuff outside the Disney streaming service.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Was going by this WSJ article about how Disney is trying to bury Netflix in the next few years, having already announced they're pulling all content to their own service. Not sure what the current plan is for Marvel Netflix but WSJ doesn't paint a rosy picture

https://www.wsj.com/articles/streaming-dreams-drove-disneys-interest-in-fox-assets-1510137002

Netflix is rapidly approaching the point of being nothing more than another channel you pay for on another streaming service. Between the massive loss of decent movies and shows and switching over to a focus on Netflix exclusives, there are fewer reasons every month for me to be able to justify the subscription.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Waitwhat?

Because the word "exclusive"? Kinda means they won't be showing the stuff outside the Disney streaming service.

That's the kind of thinking that's going to fuck things up. And things will get fucked up.

They can have exclusives shows and not an exclusive brand on their channel only, but nooooooooooooooooo.

This discussion has been closed.