As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel [MCU] Infinity War trailer DOES put a smile on my face

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    This wrote: »
    The superpowers on Agents of SHIELD have mostly been just barely okay. Sometimes things are really well done, but a lot of the time it's just people holding out their hands, scrunching up their faces, and then a door opens with some cheap CGI drawn on top of the screen. The less they display superpowers on that show, the better it is.

The only way Inhumans was ever going to work was in a big-budget movie, or maaayyybe a big budget prestige series but probably not even then. No way it would work on Agents of SHIELD - that would not only fail Inhumans, but it would mess up AoS too.

They were probably right to cancel the Inhumans movie (because honestly, Inhumans is one of those things that's better left to comics). Where they went wrong was not just burying it completely. The TV thing should never have been considered.

I disagree, and when they do the low level effects it remains impressive. That's the cinematic language for power usage in media, as well as the fact Daisy controls her power through her hands not her mouth. If we got a big budget Inhuman they're not going to do massive displays every five minutes, and Inhumans (and other Gifted) do specular feats occasionally. In season 4
    Daisy flew with her powers,
    and she's been doing specular feats for ages with them - which were in my clips upthread. She's not the only one, either.

How would they mess up AoS?

You mention AoS failed their powers, what did you think about the Inhumans, and other Gifted, were written on the show?

I disagree that they should have canceled the movie, the concept is fine. Like anything else the execution matters above all. The tv show only exists because Fiege was able to reign in Ike after being promoted by Disney. Inhumans fate in the MCU has been to be a pawn between those two, and the person who actually cared for the properly was outwitted. This could have been Ghost Rider, or Runaways or anything - the result would have been the same. It never stood a chance.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    hair generally is reaaaally difficult to model well, as we continuously see in videogames. You can do a pretty good job of explosions and many other superpowers just by moving particles in more or less geometric ways, but hair has to be tensile and have weight also like, continue to exist after the effect is over.

you can do pretty reasonable effects on a TV budget; for all their faults the CW shows manage pretty well (to the extent that their humdrum sets are often a bigger :lol: for me than the effects.) Medusa would have presented a challenge even for a major film FX shop, I think

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I was talking with friends elsechannel about the evolution of FX and particularly CGI - prompted by a fascinating article about the people who worked on T2 - and at one point, I recalled how Pixar decided, with Monsters Inc., they were gonna do it: they were going to tackle hair (and fur).
    And the rest of the industry drew in a breath and waited to see how it turned out.

Hair is one of the "hard problems" - not quite the Everest that is the human face, but definitely up there.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Not exactly sure why hair can't be practical effects, especially with the use of blue screen already prevalent. Blue screen puppetry is responsible for some pretty cool stuff for a while now, right?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Not exactly sure why hair can't be practical effects, especially with the use of blue screen already prevalent. Blue screen puppetry is responsible for some pretty cool stuff for a while now, right?

I mean, someone mentioned braids, which would just make it more like a doc oc puppetteering thing

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Let's just say what most people are thinking. Medusa's powers don't work on the show because her powers are LAME, and it's tough to make lame powers look cool without reworking them to some extent.

Really, fabulous hair powers sounds great until you realize... it's just hair, and it breaks and cuts as easily as hair. When evolution wanted hair that could be used as a weapon... it came up with horns and antlers. Those are way cooler.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Pretty sure her hair is not just hair and that's another thing they messed up. Cutting it should not have been possible and was a horrid mistake.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Pretty sure her hair is not just hair and that's another thing they messed up. Cutting it should not have been possible and was a horrid mistake.

They should have given her magic energy hair like Tyrael's wings and then they can do whatever they want with it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    This is what I was talking about when I said Inhumans is best left to the comics.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Like I said, they could've put it in braids and had some kind of hi-tech rig around it, like Hair Doc Ock or something. The implication being that she can control her hair but its strength is augmented somehow. They would have been able to model it without all the fine strands, and then when it came time to get rid of it they could've dismantled the technology and used a laser or some shit to show that while stronger than normal hair, it isn't indestructible.

None of these problems are all that insurmountable. There are tons of errors in terms of basic execution that, if fixed, wouldn't have saved the show, but definitely would have made it more palatable.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »
    Let's just say what most people are thinking. Medusa's powers don't work on the show because her powers are LAME, and it's tough to make lame powers look cool without reworking them to some extent.

Really, fabulous hair powers sounds great until you realize... it's just hair, and it breaks and cuts as easily as hair. When evolution wanted hair that could be used as a weapon... it came up with horns and antlers. Those are way cooler.

Her hair is supposed to be super strong and able to lift, like, a ton. I mean, it's not really an interesting power in the end, but it's not hard to make it look awesome. It's basically like Doc Ock or anything of that sort.

The problem is that it being hair makes it stupidly expensive to do in CGI without it looking super cheap. Which is why in the show it looks super cheap and then they find some way to avoid ever having to do it again.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »

That's not telling the whole story. You may as well say that Black Bolt's power is he can talk.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    This wrote: »
    This is what I was talking about when I said Inhumans is best left to the comics.

Medusa? Yeah, she'd be the biggest problem to get the CGI right. What about everyone else? Black bolt's powers would be easy, they already do similar effects with Daisy ever week on AoS.

edit: Plus, them coming from Inhuman royalty would provide an immense gift creatively with crazy storylines. Especially if they're written as either villains/anti-heroes or complicated and problematic element which would impact the Inhumans on Earth. They'd be wonderful villains for a season.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I hope that's a case of trailer lying. Is it really a crap horror movie?

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Feels like too much footage to be a joke. Looks very wanna-be American Horror Story.

Weirdest news out of all this is that Tatum-Gambit flick is still happening

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    It's based off of the arc that essentially made New Mutants big, which was a horror arc.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    It's based off of the arc that essentially made New Mutants big, which was a horror arc.

Fox is the studio that’s letting their directors experiment with their superhero properties. We’ve gotten Logan and Legion out of that, so I’m hopeful that a horror movie take might be fun.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    they have talked about it being a horror sort of fi;m basically all along, so it's not super surprising

doesn't get me super excited though

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    That looks like every crappy generic horror movie ever made.

X-Men: Amityville Mutants

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    They didn't even show any of the powers, a simple Illyana magic thing or Rahne starting to change, at best that could be Sunspot in the dryer but is probably just a spooky ghost.

I appreciate them sticking to the old roots of the series, but at least lead with a flash of mutant showcase in the beginning of the trailer before diving into jump scares and SHITTY USE OF CLASSIC SONGS oh gee I can't wait for Halsey to cover that song for the movie.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    They didn't even show any of the powers, a simple Illyana magic thing or Rahne starting to change, at best that could be Sunspot in the dryer but is probably just a spooky ghost.

I appreciate them sticking to the old roots of the series, but at least lead with a flash of mutant showcase in the beginning of the trailer before diving into jump scares and SHITTY USE OF CLASSIC SONGS oh gee I can't wait for Halsey to cover that song for the movie.

Thats what other trailers are for.

Speculation
    my theory is that the "ghost" is Magik doing something magicky.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

Speculation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_Bear

As for the trailer, that was a horrible trailer to introduce the new movie on. Remove the Marvel logo and it could be any of the plethora of modern generic horror movies. There is nothing distinctly "X-Franchise" about it other than the one mention of the word mutant.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So I had such low expectations going into Inhumans that it ended up being not disappointing so I can leave it on while doing something else. It's....still pretty not great. There's just a lot of "well, why is that even happening?" in this.

Hoy.

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    new Black Panther trailer whaaaaat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjDjIWPwcPU

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    They're really upping Wakanda being advanced (that's almost GOTG levels of tech) so I really hope they up them being assholes too.

• Options
    They're really upping Wakanda being advanced (that's almost GOTG levels of tech) so I really hope they up them being assholes too.

Why?

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular

Why?

Wakanda as often presented in the comics is a country that takes isolation so far that they're unwilling to share medical tech with the world or even their fellow people outside their borders.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Kyougu wrote: »

Why?

Wakanda as often presented in the comics is a country that takes isolation so far that they're unwilling to share medical tech with the world or even their fellow people outside their borders.

Are you talking about the Hudlin run? Wakanda is meant to be isolationist, and very flawed - they're not supposed to be villainous assholes.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular

Speculation

other speculation
    I'm leaning more towards Mirage, from wiki "create three-dimensional images of visual concepts from within the minds of herself and others. Her most developed ability allowed her to manifest people's fears or desires as realistic illusions." of course whether they use that and do something original or just put checks in the standard horror trope boxes is something we will have to wait and see.
    I am leaning more towards a cavalcade of tropes [/Spoilers]

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I like that Black Panther seems to be the first Marvel movie to embrace a wide color palette. GotG has more color than the others, but even there it can look washed out at times.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    The new Black Panther trailer is one of the best trailers i've seen in years. I think 90% of that is the music choice felt fresh and inspired to me.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    BP looks great but is just more of the same to me.

I'm actually really interested in The New Mutants. Taking the superhero genre and doing a horror thing with it is bolder than we've seen with any other film to date in the genre.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I clicked that black panther trailer and wanted to see how far I had to scroll down to find the overtly racist comments

then I realized I was a fool, I didn't have to scroll down at all

(It was like the third or something)

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    I clicked that black panther trailer and wanted to see how far I had to scroll down to find the overtly racist comments

then I realized I was a fool, I didn't have to scroll down at all

(It was like the third or something)

Never read the bottom half of the internet.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »
    new Black Panther trailer whaaaaat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjDjIWPwcPU

Ooooh yeah, mmm, definitely not regretting my choice for Halloween costume this year :D

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Gah, that Medusa costume is so, so bad.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    "Let's take a character known for her long hair and shave her head!"

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    "Let's take a character known for her long hair and shave her head!"

Nobody's going to notice that, right?

On a serious note, they should have kept Medusa as a guest star and made sure she logically didn't have reasons to use her hair extensively. Keep her on Atilan for 99% of the show, or something - and make Crystal the female lead. That'd be a nice clash with a younger generation fighting against the old guard over the caste system. Maximus being the wild card, and real big bad.

This discussion has been closed.