• Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Seriously someone post the chicken of evil quote

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Does Les Miserables belong here? I think it might, although there may have been a few too many then-contemporary references for it to age well. Then again, the same holds of a lot of Shakespeare's stuff.

see... the diffrence was when Shakespeare had a soliloquy it would be about something that is still relevant.

Les Mis, and mind you I adore the musical, has 50 page long diatribes about bullet holes in random walls. I read the long fucker. I liked a lot of it, but flawless?

naw. not so much.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Senjutsu wrote: »

http://sandstormreviews.blogspot.com/2006/08/goodkind-parodies.html
    Her power, her magic, was also a weapon of defense. But it would only work on people. It would not work on a chicken. And it would not work on wickedness incarnate.
    Her gaze flicked toward the door, checking the distance. The chicken took a single hop toward her. Claws gripping Juni's upper arm, it leaned her way. Her leg muscles tightened till they trembled.
    The chicken backed up a step, tensed, and spurted feces onto Juni's face. (IMG:http://asoiaf.westeros.org/style_emoticons/New/rofl2.gif)
    It let out the cackle that sounded like a laugh.
    She dearly wished she could tell herself she was being silly. Imagining things.
    But she knew better.
    <snip>
    Kahlan frantically tried to think as the chicken bawk-bawk-bawked.
    <snip>
    "Mother," the chicken croaked.
    Kahlan flinched with a cry.
    <snip>
    [Kahlan knocks over a candle by mistake, plunging the barn into darkness]
    In the dark, the chicken thing let out a low chicken cackle laugh.
    It hadn't come from whre she expected the chicken to be. It was behind her.
    "Please, I mean no harm," she called into the darkness. "I mean no disrespect. I will leave you to your business now, if that's all right with you."
    She took another shuffling step toward the door. She moved carefully, slowly, in case the chicken thing was in the way. She didn't want to bump into it and make it angry. She mustn't underestimate it.
    Kahlan had on any number of occasions thrown herself with ferocity against seemingly invincible foes. She knew well the value of a resolute violent attack. But she also somehow knew beyond doubt that this adversary could, if it wanted, kill her as easily as she could wring a real chicken's neck. If she forced a fight, this was one she would lose.
    <snip>
    The chicken thing let out a whispering cackle.
    <snip>
    [she's trying to find the door, she's crying and panicking, she stubs her toe and falls down.]
    With the next flash of lightning, she saw chicken feet standing between her and the crack under the door. The thing wasn't more than a foot from her face.
    <snip>
    The beak pinched the vein on the back of her hand over her eyes. The chicken tugged, as if trying to pull a worm from the ground.
    It was a command. It wanted her hand away from her eyes.
    The beak gave a sharp tug on her skin. There was no mistaking the meaning in that insistent yank. Move the hand, now, it was saying, or you'll be sorry.
    If she made it angry, there was no telling what it was capable of doing to her. Juni lay dead above her as a reminder of the possibilities.
    She told herself that if it pecked at her eyes, she would have to grab it and try to wring its neck. If she was quick, it could only get in one peck. She would have one eye left. She would have to fight it then. But only if it went for her eyes.
    Her instincts screamed that such action would be the most foolish, dangerous thing she could do. Both the Bird Man and Richard said this was not a chicken. She no longer doubted them. But she might have no choice.
    If she started, it would be a fight to the death. She held no illusion as to her chances. Nonetheless, she might be forced to fight it. With her last breath, if need be, as her father had taught her.
    The chicken snatched a bigger beakful of her skin along with the vein and twisted. Last warning.
    Kahlan carefully moved her trembling hand away. The chicken-thing cackled softly with satisfaction.
    ~Terry Goodkind, Soul of the Fire
    In one book, Goodkind creates a nation of pacifists (led by a small boy) as a strawman argument to display why Pacifism is Wrong. The pacifists stage a peaceful demostration to stop Richard from going to war; Richard slaughters the protestors, who are "armed only with their hatred for moral clarity." Richard also kills unarmed council members.

Couscous on
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

Her power, her magic, was also a weapon of defense. But it would only work on people. It would not work on a chicken. And it would not work on wickedness incarnate.
    Her gaze flicked toward the door, checking the distance. The chicken took a single hop toward her. Claws gripping Juni's upper arm, it leaned her way. Her leg muscles tightened till they trembled.
    The chicken backed up a step, tensed, and spurted feces onto Juni's face. (IMG:http://asoiaf.westeros.org/style_emoticons/New/rofl2.gif)
    But she knew better.
    <snip>
    <snip>
    <snip>
    "Please, I mean no harm," she called into the darkness. "I mean no disrespect. I will leave you to your business now, if that's all right with you."
    She took another shuffling step toward the door. She moved carefully, slowly, in case the chicken thing was in the way. She didn't want to bump into it and make it angry. She mustn't underestimate it.
    Kahlan had on any number of occasions thrown herself with ferocity against seemingly invincible foes. She knew well the value of a resolute violent attack. But she also somehow knew beyond doubt that this adversary could, if it wanted, kill her as easily as she could wring a real chicken's neck. If she forced a fight, this was one she would lose.
    <snip>
    <snip>
    [she's trying to find the door, she's crying and panicking, she stubs her toe and falls down.]
    With the next flash of lightning, she saw chicken feet standing between her and the crack under the door. The thing wasn't more than a foot from her face.
    <snip>
    The beak pinched the vein on the back of her hand over her eyes. The chicken tugged, as if trying to pull a worm from the ground.
    The beak gave a sharp tug on her skin. There was no mistaking the meaning in that insistent yank. Move the hand, now, it was saying, or you'll be sorry.
    If she made it angry, there was no telling what it was capable of doing to her. Juni lay dead above her as a reminder of the possibilities.
    She told herself that if it pecked at her eyes, she would have to grab it and try to wring its neck. If she was quick, it could only get in one peck. She would have one eye left. She would have to fight it then. But only if it went for her eyes.
    Her instincts screamed that such action would be the most foolish, dangerous thing she could do. Both the Bird Man and Richard said this was not a chicken. She no longer doubted them. But she might have no choice.
    If she started, it would be a fight to the death. She held no illusion as to her chances. Nonetheless, she might be forced to fight it. With her last breath, if need be, as her father had taught her.
    The chicken snatched a bigger beakful of her skin along with the vein and twisted. Last warning.
    Kahlan carefully moved her trembling hand away. The chicken-thing cackled softly with satisfaction.

Is...

is that serious? Like, is he joking?

Glaeal on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Glaeal wrote: »

But she knew better.
    <snip>
    <snip>
    <snip>
    <snip>
    <snip>
    <snip>

Is...

umm... URL?

redx on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wow. the exact part I was thinking of was actually

Hissing, hackles lifting, the chicken's head rose. Kahlan pulled back. Its claws digging into stiff dead flesh, the chicken slowly turned to face her. It cocked its head, making its comb flop, its wattles sway. "Shoo," Kahlan heard herself whisper. There wasn't enough light, and besides, the side of its beak was covered with gore, so she couldn't tell if it had the dark spot, But she didn't need to see it. "Dear spirits, help me," she prayed under her breath. The bird let out a slow chicken cackle. It sounded like a chicken, but in her heart she knew it wasn't. In that instant, she completely understood the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken. This looked like a chicken, like most of the Mud People's chickens. But this was no chicken. This was evil manifest.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    redx wrote: »

But she knew better.
    <snip>
    <snip>
    <snip>
    <snip>
    <snip>
    <snip>

Is...

umm... URL?

The website is blocked from work.
    *edit*
    Lemme clarify that for stupidity. I can't view that website, so I can't see if that's a parody or a source quote that Goodkind actually wrote.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

But she knew better.
    <snip>
    <snip>
    <snip>
    <snip>
    <snip>
    <snip>

Is...

umm... URL?
    It isn't directly from that URL.
    http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=9693&st=80&p=347489&#entry347489

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

But she knew better.
    <snip>
    <snip>
    <snip>
    <snip>
    <snip>
    <snip>

Is...

umm... URL?

you can still see the address, can't you?

redx on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wow. the exact part I was thinking of was actually

Hissing, hackles lifting, the chicken's head rose. Kahlan pulled back. Its claws digging into stiff dead flesh, the chicken slowly turned to face her. It cocked its head, making its comb flop, its wattles sway. "Shoo," Kahlan heard herself whisper. There wasn't enough light, and besides, the side of its beak was covered with gore, so she couldn't tell if it had the dark spot, But she didn't need to see it. "Dear spirits, help me," she prayed under her breath. The bird let out a slow chicken cackle. It sounded like a chicken, but in her heart she knew it wasn't. In that instant, she completely understood the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken. This looked like a chicken, like most of the Mud People's chickens. But this was no chicken. This was evil manifest.
    I fail to see the flaws.

I see only awesome.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

But she knew better.
    <snip>
    <snip>
    <snip>
    <snip>
    <snip>
    <snip>

Is...

umm... URL?

you can still see the address, can't you?

Can you see my edit?

Glaeal on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Can you see my edit?

yeah, urr... apparently it is in the list of actual shit he wrote.

redx on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited May 2007
    Okay, this thread is honestly retarded and so counter to its name that it's lock time.

Of note: any book with the words "Dark Elf" in its title is not flawless. It's got a fucking flaw right there in its title.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
This discussion has been closed.