As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout] Your Cube Was Nuked By xXx420yolo_69

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I mean i say just backpeddling and shooting but its more stutter stepping. You let him walk up to you and when he winds up a swing you just step back and unload while hes stuck in the animation, and repeat.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    So, Chris Avellone updated his profile picture on Facebook.

For those behind a work filter, it's a drawing of a stick figure (how Avellone draws himself) hugging Pipboy and saying "I missed you so much". Could be that he decided to play a Fallout game again. Could be that he's working on a Fallout game again....

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    I mean i say just backpeddling and shooting but its more stutter stepping. You let him walk up to you and when he winds up a swing you just step back and unload while hes stuck in the animation, and repeat.

In Fallout 3 my go to tactic was run and drop mines until the Deathclaw was limbing then finish it off. Or use the poison dart gun. Or use VATS until I broke their leg.

In F4 I rarely use vats. It seems like by the time I cripple a limb they have a sliver of health left unless I crit them for bonus limb damage, but then why wouldnt I use my crit on their head for insane damage? Oh, and the gunplay is actually passable this time around, so there's less of of a "need" for vats.

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular

For those behind a work filter, it's a drawing of a stick figure (how Avellone draws himself) hugging Pipboy and saying "I missed you so much". Could be that he decided to play a Fallout game again. Could be that he's working on a Fallout game again....

I really hope he's working on something. The guy should know by now anytime he breathes in Fallout's direction publicly people lose their shit.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »

In Fallout 3 my go to tactic was run and drop mines until the Deathclaw was limbing then finish it off. Or use the poison dart gun. Or use VATS until I broke their leg.

In F4 I rarely use vats. It seems like by the time I cripple a limb they have a sliver of health left unless I crit them for bonus limb damage, but then why wouldnt I use my crit on their head for insane damage? Oh, and the gunplay is actually passable this time around, so there's less of of a "need" for vats.

Well for one thing their head isn't the big weakspot anymore. It's their belly which is very, very hard to hit given their run animation without VATs to slow things down.

But most deathclaws in 4 aren't too tough by the time you start encountering them randomly and will keep spawning after they're trivial so you rarely need to use that weakpoint. The limb thing is still handy for certain variants with the right weapon. Any shotgun with a stackable damage bonus (basically anything but setting the target on fire) will cripple a limb extremely quickly well before center mass shots down the tougher variants.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    So, just picked up the FO4 GOTY edition. Pretty happy with it, but taking it slow. The building stuff is not resonating, but I guess I can mostly ignore it, right?

Big thing early on is that I died pretty easily a few times. Once was getting side swiped by super mutants. Another (like 4 or 5 times) was that first factory full of raiders. Latest was a stupid alpha dog outside diamond city. Feels like I am a bit weak in the early going so far.

• Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Spicy_Rev wrote: »
    So, just picked up the FO4 GOTY edition. Pretty happy with it, but taking it slow. The building stuff is not resonating, but I guess I can mostly ignore it, right?

Big thing early on is that I died pretty easily a few times. Once was getting side swiped by super mutants. Another (like 4 or 5 times) was that first factory full of raiders. Latest was a stupid alpha dog outside diamond city. Feels like I am a bit weak in the early going so far.

I recommend not pursuing the Vault-Tec DLC if you don't like the building stuff, but other than that you're in the clear.

At one point in the main quest you're going to have to deploy a thing in a place so you should know how settlements generally operate as regards power and stuff. And at that time, you'll pick a faction and if you haven't done the first quests Preston and Sturges give you in Sanctuary they'll expect you to take care of that first. But that's all the building you have to do.

Just make sure you've deconstructed or turned off all your radio beacons if you don't want to do more building.

As far as character durability goes, even in the early game Power Armor is intended to be a sometimes food. Fast-traveling doesn't drain the core, so if a place is kicking your ass it's intended that you strap on the walking tank and use some of the cores you've scavenged to be a tougher nut to crack.

Keep an eye out as you travel, too. In addition to the overworld caches of stuff, there are lots of enterable buildings which are completely uncommented on by your pipboy. I've found several banks and hardware shops just by seeing if I could open doors.

Glazius on
  • Options
    Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    I like that idea of using power armor when I feel undergunned. I kept trying to take the Apparel place (2nd go help this community) quest and wasn't feeling it with what I have.

Also, is this a game where I will be crafting all my own guns by the end or is that kind of up to me?

• Options
    Grabbing a couple perks that allow you to put better mods on your weapons, and the respective perk for pistols, rifles, or heavy weapons makes a big difference for damage output. Also, just pick up everything and fast travel back to sanctuary to dump stuff off. Modding weapons and building stuff for your settlements can use up your "junk" items pretty quick. Also, making mods and stuff for your settlement gives some XP, so every now and then it is good to just make stuff to gain levels and get some perks.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

I really hope he wouldn't do something like that unless it actually meant something interesting.

Too desperate/starving for something like a New Vegas 2 to be messed with like that.

That would just be cruel and unusual. Most I would hope for to safeguard my fragile emotions is Bethesda just letting him dick around with some quests in Fallout Shelter.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Spicy_Rev wrote: »
    I like that idea of using power armor when I feel undergunned. I kept trying to take the Apparel place (2nd go help this community) quest and wasn't feeling it with what I have.

Also, is this a game where I will be crafting all my own guns by the end or is that kind of up to me?

It's pretty much up to you. If you don't want to mod your guns, focus more on rifles and automatics.

I'm pretty sure that no matter your crafting level, you can make a base gun component in any slot to pop the mod off of a similar gun you found or bought. And you definitely don't need any crafting to just attach a mod to a gun.

But modded rifles, including automatic rifles, drop more frequently than the modded versions of high-end pistols, heavy weapons, or melee weapons. Armor and especially power armor are also easier to customize than wait for the right drop.

Don't worry about being unworkably behind the curve if you don't craft, though.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Chris changed his profile pic again.

You're damn right you are.

*keeps binoculars trained on him*

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    the absolute worst cocktease. I swear

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    the absolute worst cocktease. I swear

Or potentially one of the best.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I suspect marketing would assassinate him if he leaked anything worthwhile like that.

But here's hoping they try and fail!

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I suspect marketing would assassinate him if he leaked anything worthwhile like that.

But here's hoping they try and fail!
    unless they're getting close to announcing something, and they're letting him do a bit.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Well, there's also the fact there's almost no chance they're close to announcing anything worthwhile for Fallout.

Prove me wrong, Bethesda!

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Well remember Bethesda announced Fallout 4 like, three months before release. As a big fan of that kind of announcement-release time span I hope we don't hear anything until it is finished.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Isn't Avellone and the Obsidian staff tied up on other stuff for the near future? I'm not worrying about it anymore. If it happens, great, but it doesn't seem like it is.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    Isn't Avellone and the Obsidian staff tied up on other stuff for the near future? I'm not worrying about it anymore. If it happens, great, but it doesn't seem like it is.

Obsidian is working on Pillars of Eternity 2, but Avellone has left Obsidian and seems to be sorta free-lancing now.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »

Obsidian is working on Pillars of Eternity 2, but Avellone has left Obsidian and seems to be sorta free-lancing now.

Yeah, I think he last worked on Prey.

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    I don't mind "random encounters" while exploring in Fallout 3, but damn if I haven't run into some crazy ones lately. Stuff like encountering Talon Company (the worst part about playing as a "good" character, but hey, at least they give you combat armor to patch up my Ranger Battlearmor) with 2 Robobrains and a Protectron, right around Megaton. Or running into an Enclave soldier long before they become a factor in the story. I just wanna chill and wander around, geez. But this IS still Fallout after all.

• Options
    It's the same deal running around in fallout 4. Just wandering around and oh random legendary super mutant with a special fat man or missile launcher. So many legendaries pop up now it's kind of annoying. I got around to getting the supply lines up to like all the settlements today, so now i can access everything from anywhere. Also actually did part of the main story so now I can actually do brotherhood stuff. Strong back + lone wanderer perks are amazing. I got 440 carrying capacity atm, and I max out all the time. But thats because ive somehow just amassed large amounts of consumable like chems, water, and stimpacks, so my just regular carrying everything around weight is nuts.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I really don't care for how opponent/encounter level scaling works in Bethesda games. Even when it's not throwing bullet-spongey enemies at you that are more annoying and tedious than anything, it utterly wrecks immersion. Why does every outhouse and barn suddenly have a deathclaw in it? Why doesn't this random bandit just sell his full suit of fancy armor and retire? Where were all of these guys ten or twenty levels ago, when they would have straight-up massacred me?

It's stupid, it's transparently "game-y", and it sucks.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I miss the days where your luck 10 better crit character can walk up to a Deathclaw with a Vault suit and a rock and blow it's goddamn brain's out.

I also miss in spirit attacking bodyguard Kane in the Hub wearing power armor, only for him to mulch you in a single turn due to his insane strength and crits.

I miss crits basically.

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I really don't care for how opponent/encounter level scaling works in Bethesda games. Even when it's not throwing bullet-spongey enemies at you that are more annoying and tedious than anything, it utterly wrecks immersion. Why does every outhouse and barn suddenly have a deathclaw in it? Why doesn't this random bandit just sell his full suit of fancy armor and retire? Where were all of these guys ten or twenty levels ago, when they would have straight-up massacred me?

I do agree. Over the course of its games, Bethesda has tried to address level-scaling issues, without of course trying something besides level-scaling. In Fallout 4, different zones of the map are supposed to have 'encounter levels', so that the player won't ever run into high-end raiders around Sanctuary, for example. That does not seem to apply to enemies attacking settlements, however. Likewise, if you start the game and immediately try to run to Diamond City at level 1, you are going to have trouble killing anything, because that area is a higher level zone. So it is better at least, but one can still feel the enemies leveling.

Enemy bullet-sponges are among my greatest gripes of all time, and the precise reason I never play Bethesda (or heck, most games nowadays) games on higher difficulties; all they do is make enemies do more damage and take less damage. How is that harder, exactly/ Or fun? I like the revamped Survival difficulty for this reason, as it makes everyone, the player and enemies, squishier. In fact, I tend to use a mod (I believe it's called Survival Tweaker? Something like that) which ups this further, making most firefights quick and deadly affairs. This also puts a premium on getting the jump on enemies and using cover, so does restrict some play-styles.

• Options
    Bastion is kind of my gold standard for RPG difficulty, as basically a set of Forza-style mods applied to gameplay.

Would calling it a Wasteland Weather Report be too cheesy, or too perfectly cheesy?

• Options

I do agree. Over the course of its games, Bethesda has tried to address level-scaling issues, without of course trying something besides level-scaling. In Fallout 4, different zones of the map are supposed to have 'encounter levels', so that the player won't ever run into high-end raiders around Sanctuary, for example. That does not seem to apply to enemies attacking settlements, however. Likewise, if you start the game and immediately try to run to Diamond City at level 1, you are going to have trouble killing anything, because that area is a higher level zone. So it is better at least, but one can still feel the enemies leveling.

Enemy bullet-sponges are among my greatest gripes of all time, and the precise reason I never play Bethesda (or heck, most games nowadays) games on higher difficulties; all they do is make enemies do more damage and take less damage. How is that harder, exactly/ Or fun? I like the revamped Survival difficulty for this reason, as it makes everyone, the player and enemies, squishier. In fact, I tend to use a mod (I believe it's called Survival Tweaker? Something like that) which ups this further, making most firefights quick and deadly affairs. This also puts a premium on getting the jump on enemies and using cover, so does restrict some play-styles.

It's definitely improved in 4 but a few enemy types are especially noticeable for the level scaling. Raiders change up gear and tactics as they switch to higher end versions though still always have mostly junk armor so I mostly enjoy those. Super mutants are pretty hard to distinguish though with the ones that will die in 2 rifle shots not looking a lot different from the ones requiring an entire magazine or more to down.

A shame since the shooting mechanics are so much improved in 4 that when the spongy enemies interrupt the flow it can be really noticeable as you take a moment to pause and inject yourself with every variant of Psycho you have on hand. I wish Elder Scrolls melee combat felt anywhere as good as they got the shooting in 4.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    That is the one thing odd about bethesda scaling that is annoying. I don't mind packs of variably different enemies, but having one guy standing next to his buddy with 10x the hit points stands out a bit.

• Options
    That is the one thing odd about bethesda scaling that is annoying. I don't mind packs of variably different enemies, but having one guy standing next to his buddy with 10x the hit points stands out a bit.

That part has generally been less noticeable in survival mode with a mod that increases the damage on all sides. You still get the effect of a raider or mercenary veteran leader in visibly more protective armor backed up by low ranking recruits but even the higher level enemy goes down pretty quickly.

It's specifically super mutants where the warlords are much more durable than their peers and don't have a lot to visually distinguish them while being able to quickly kill you with a minigun where it's more of an issue.

Also a bit with deathclaws where they don't come in groups when encountered randomly but there's a huge difference in durability between a base deathclaw that you can eventually sneak attack to kill in one hit versus the level scaled variant and there's not a lot of visual differences between most variants.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Woo! Finally, a mod that adds a good looking version of my favorite Fallout universe weapon, the Wattz Laser Rifle.
    26386-0-1506116680.jpg
    26386-1-1506116932.png
    26386-3-1506116928.png

They even did a nice custom loading animation for it too.

Such a shame Bethesda never saw fit to add them to the new games, giving us those blocky laser rifles instead.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    I think a lot of the bullet sponge nature comes from most enemy groups having one guy near the top who's like level 50 and the next guy up is level = you. Which can be like 150.

They may not have intended people to stick around that long, but they did, and the sponge just keeps getting thicker.

• Options
    Glazius wrote: »
    I think a lot of the bullet sponge nature comes from most enemy groups having one guy near the top who's like level 50 and the next guy up is level = you. Which can be like 150.

They may not have intended people to stick around that long, but they did, and the sponge just keeps getting thicker.

That's part of it but some sponginess can be noted even before the scaled directly to you variants become the toughest ones. There's a hard limit to how much offensive capability you can have as eventually you stop getting better weapons and max out your perks for your chosen combat style but you still keep on leveling so the enemies do too. You also are more durable in turn which leads to things like being able to survive a Fat Man hit in survival mode though with crippled limbs.

Now there are enough variations of Psycho in Fallout 4 that stack damage bonuses so you can compensate to some degree at high levels but it's not really engaging strategy.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    So, I installed FO4 and put in a few mods, it didn't seem to be too major...

This thing can't not crash. I'm fairly certain the problem is True Storms (which is pretty iffy anyway, lots of graphical issues and the radstorms are hilariously un-fun (I started a new character as a radstorm started. Ended up having to scrap it because the rad damage made the game unplayable) with the mod active.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Okay, after playing this a bit on Xbox at launch, I was gifted the GOTYE on PC

I spent the better part of saturday afternoon installing mods and going off the deep end

I'm in the early stages of the game still, but my non-vault-dwelling katana-wielding* NCR ranger in NCR veteran clothing is going to bring law and order to the wastes

I am excited about some of the settlement upgrades especially

I have 50ish mods right now but I don't want to freak everything -- so far so good though

* weapon renamed to "Hanwei Practical XL"

desc on
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    desc wrote: »
    I am excited about some of the settlement upgrades especially

Are you playing Horizon, with its kind of bonkers settlement system and tech tree, or Sim Settlements, with its slightly less bonkers but more graphically-intensive settlement system and tech tree?

Or a different settlement mod entirely?

Sim Settlements is pretty great as long as you don't drop 80 plots in a 40-person settlement and kill your graphics card. Can't speak for Horizon.

Glazius on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    So if any of you haven't played fallout 1 & 2 yet, please do.

Fallout 1 is, in my opinion, one of the best games of the series, and I just beat it for the first time a few months back. I literally couldn't stop playing it, which surprised me. It took a lot of effort for me to get into Fallout 2.

y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    Demerdar wrote: »

Fallout 1 is, in my opinion, one of the best games of the series, and I just beat it for the first time a few months back. I literally couldn't stop playing it, which surprised me. It took a lot of effort for me to get into Fallout 2.

It's a much more focused experience than 2 was. I prefer 2 in terms of gameplay, but 1 generally made it clearer where you should head to next (whereas I do some odd sequences in 2 for my preferred results) and also often had quicker fights due to even Super Mutants normally only having fewer than 50 or 60 hit points. High level enemies in 2 often had over 100 hp and could take a while if you didn't get a critical hit.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I liked the original Fallout because it was a pretty solid change of pace compared to all of the fantasy CRPGs that were big at the time. It's still a blast to play, and I recommend it to anyone who is into either the genre or the franchise, even if you do spend the first 20 minutes punching giant rats over and over again.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Demerdar wrote: »

It's a much more focused experience than 2 was. I prefer 2 in terms of gameplay, but 1 generally made it clearer where you should head to next (whereas I do some odd sequences in 2 for my preferred results) and also often had quicker fights due to even Super Mutants normally only having fewer than 50 or 60 hit points. High level enemies in 2 often had over 100 hp and could take a while if you didn't get a critical hit.

If you aint going straight south and getting power armor 10 minutes into fallout 2, you aint playin right.

This discussion has been closed.