As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout] Your Cube Was Nuked By xXx420yolo_69

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    So I found out about another New Vegas mod I wanted to watch a playthrough of, For The Enclave, but surprise surprise, the only people who made videos of it insist on shitty commentary through the entire thing. Why is this so popular? Why do so many people enjoy having the experience ruined by some jackass prattling on through the whole thing?

I used to prefer silent playthroughs, but in recent years found I tend to prefer hearing someone talk that actually knows what they're talking about. Why they're doing this, what this means, what they're workings towards. I think technically Let's Plays are typically commentated (Let Us Play) while something like a Longplay will just be the game. That might just vary person to person, though.

I dont, it completely ruins the immersion for me, but even if it didnt, the people who usually do commentary dont know their ass from a controller, they just ramble on about random crap in a desperate attempt to be funny. PewDiPie has destroyed the concept of playthroughs.

My favorite was a Half-Life playthrough which had no commentary from the player, but who still managed to give Gordon Freeman some personality. At some point (I think right before
    Xen
    ), someone asks him a yes or no question and the player has the player nod up and down. Fucking had me laughing my ass off and added to the immersion.

This was like a decade ago but I wish I could find it again.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    So I found out about another New Vegas mod I wanted to watch a playthrough of, For The Enclave, but surprise surprise, the only people who made videos of it insist on shitty commentary through the entire thing. Why is this so popular? Why do so many people enjoy having the experience ruined by some jackass prattling on through the whole thing?

I used to prefer silent playthroughs, but in recent years found I tend to prefer hearing someone talk that actually knows what they're talking about. Why they're doing this, what this means, what they're workings towards. I think technically Let's Plays are typically commentated (Let Us Play) while something like a Longplay will just be the game. That might just vary person to person, though.

I dont, it completely ruins the immersion for me, but even if it didnt, the people who usually do commentary dont know their ass from a controller, they just ramble on about random crap in a desperate attempt to be funny. PewDiPie has destroyed the concept of playthroughs.

My favorite was a Half-Life playthrough which had no commentary from the player, but who still managed to give Gordon Freeman some personality. At some point (I think right before
    Xen
    ), someone asks him a yes or no question and the player has the player nod up and down. Fucking had me laughing my ass off and added to the immersion.

Okay, I appreciate the sentiment, but did you seriously put a spoiler tag on friggin HALF LIFE?

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

Xen

Okay, I appreciate the sentiment, but did you seriously put a spoiler tag on friggin HALF LIFE?

I don’t believe spoilers have a half-life.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Does anyone know what the hell I should do with a brahmin settler? Google and wiki results seem inconclusive.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    From what I remember, they generate fertilizer in the settlement stockpile.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Does anyone know what the hell I should do with a brahmin settler? Google and wiki results seem inconclusive.

open console
    target brahmin
    modpos z 2000
    close console

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    https://youtu.be/0L1AVWBz8iY

I ran into Talon Company before once this but this is the proper 'you are too good and thus we must kill you' meeting I had with them. I thought things would be awkward enough seeing as they found me wearing their dead friends' armor but then...

Owenashi on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    That would happen in Fallout 2 as well with the restored content patch.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Who had the money in DC to hire Talon Company?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Who had the money in DC to hire Talon Company?

I dunno, but I kept running into those fucks, and I kept slaughtering them.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I love Talon Company, great early access to good armor and weapons.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Just be sure to re-spray all their stuff Reilly's Green.

• Options
    So, I'm planning to play the DLC for FO3 in release order and I'm wondering when's a good time in FO3 to download Operation Anchorage? I just fixed GNR's dish and got pointed towards Rivet City.

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    So, I'm planning to play the DLC for FO3 in release order and I'm wondering when's a good time in FO3 to download Operation Anchorage? I just fixed GNR's dish and got pointed towards Rivet City.

You could do it now. You do get a lot of good loot from it so if you are worried about balance you may want to put it off.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    There's no real reason not to install all the DLC from the jump. As I recall, the only DLC you can accidentally get locked into is Mothership Zeta, and that's as simple to solve as not approaching an alien spacecraft.

• Options

I'd say do OA right from the start, the rewards are OP Fun.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Yeah there really is no reason not to do it as soon as you can physically walk there.

The anchorage stuff is unleveled. There are a couple of fights in the real world, one can be a bit tough for a totally new character, but nothing that is that bad.

• Options
    OA and then doing the Pitt to get the infiltrator turns you into a silent murder machine so you know, if you want that..
    Mothership Zeta can fuck right off along with Point Lookout, though.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I have too many hours in New Vegas already, but Spring is here, the sun is shining, and for some reason I once again feel the urge to wander into the irradiated desert and laser Roman cosplayers to death.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I get where you're coming from, but I would encourage you to avoid doing that, and just play New Vegas instead.

• Options
    I have too many hours in New Vegas already, but Spring is here, the sun is shining, and for some reason I once again feel the urge to wander into the irradiated desert and laser Roman cosplayers to death.

i've been fighting the same urge

namely because i have about 2 metric fuckass loads of games i've not even touched, and 2 in progress that i havent played in a month.

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I get where you're coming from, but I would encourage you to avoid doing that, and just play New Vegas instead.

Not a lot of deserts around here anyway.

Although you'd be surprised at the amount of Roman cosplayers.

• Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular

Okay, here's what I want to know; where the hell are Ceasars Legion getting Roman armor thats even close to accurate? Okay, I get the NCR and Brotherhood, they're just repurposed Pre-War military equipment, but functional Legionary armor? They're not welded together scraps of junk like Raider armor either.

• Options
    I believe it's mostly salvaged football gear with red paint splattered all over it.

• Options
    Well, its not unreasonable that someone could do some basic blacksmithing and leatherworking, it’s not like roman era equipment required advanced industrial equipment or anything.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    You'd be surprised, the Romans were doing things with mass production and advanced metallurgy that didn't get rediscovered until centuries after the empire fell.

• Options
    Fleeb wrote: »
    You'd be surprised, the Romans were doing things with mass production and advanced metallurgy that didn't get rediscovered until centuries after the empire fell.

Eh, the romans mass produced coins and the like from molds but I don’t think they did anything as complex as weapons or armor. Most of the Roman weapon and armor production techniques were adopted from various “barbarian” peoples around them from hispania, celtia, dacia, etc anyway. Ancient and medieval military smithing quality was always more about finding decent ore to work with, and Ceaser’s legion should have no problem finding all the quality steel they can scrap in a post modern world.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Are we talking about the same Romans? The guys whose empire conquered most of the Europe and a big chunk of Asia? :D Sure they copied the designs for equipment from other cultures but that doesn't mean that they built them in the same manner. Heck they pretty much invented mass production. They absolutely had factories (fabricae) that would churn out arms and armor.

Anyway, getting off topic. Sorry, sorry.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    Why smelt and forge new swords when you can duct tape a handle to a car bumper you made real sharp?

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Why walk when you can ride?

Wait, sorry, wrong Bethesda game franchise.

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Man, I don't know what is up with this playthrough, but Honest Hearts has decided I should be able to get 5 feet without fighting a Giant Cazador or Yao Guai.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Fleeb wrote: »
    Are we talking about the same Romans? The guys whose empire conquered most of the Europe and a big chunk of Asia? :D Sure they copied the designs for equipment from other cultures but that doesn't mean that they built them in the same manner. Heck they pretty much invented mass production. They absolutely had factories (fabricae) that would churn out arms and armor.

Anyway, getting off topic. Sorry, sorry.

Depends on what you mean by mass production. Do you mean having centrally located armories where skilled craftsmen could work together and share production tools and equipment with some craftsmen being more specialized to certain forms of the process? Sure, but everyone in a reasonably urban society did that back then. The Romans under Diocletian did do a lot to consolidate manufacturing to central locations under the state apparatus rather than various individual craftsmen or companies, though, so rather than dealing with dozens of individuals they had standardized production, salaries, etc. Do you mean melting ore down into high carbon pig iron, which then is melted down and processed into steel in a crucible and cast into a mold, power forged, machined, or stamped like modern steel? No, the Romans didn't really do that at all. India did something very similar to modern steel production during Roman times with their wootz smelting techniques, though they still forged metal by hand, which eventually the English copied, improved upon and used as the basis for modern steel processes, but outside of India/Central asia and some areas that sourced ingots from these places (famously Damascus) metallurgy didn't vary much from the Greeks and Romans, to the various celtic and germanic 'barbarians' that surrounded and eventually replaced them, all used bloomeries and hand forging.

The issue with weapon and armor making isn't really with forming the metal into swords, though, it is with getting high quality metal in the first place. This means you need great ore, or techniques to turn crap ore into great ore. The Romans had a few good sources of ore (Norica, Toledo, etc). The Indians and later Japanese developed various methods to turn any ore into good ore. In a post modern world, this is no issue because decent to great quality steel is literally everywhere, and could easilly be cut up and reforged into whatever armor, weapons, etc that you wanted.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I think the greater issue is that the skills, the ones you're referring to, required to hand smelt and forge arms and armor are skills almost essentially lost to time.

I imagine it would be a fairly rarefied person who could take even a couple sticks of scrap mild steel, turn it into workable molten material, turn that into workable sheeting, and then forge that into armor in the fallout universe.

You'd spend a ton of time just building the forms required and gathering/building the hand tools. I mean, shit, without a planishing machine, you'd spend a day just hammering out a single breastplate. That's not even getting into the issues of purity with something like sand forging (which you'd almost have to do unless you took over a metalwork facility).

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Now they are, sure (though certainly not extinct, there are plenty of blacksmithing enthusiasts out there), but by the time of the game they have literally had 200+ years to work on it. Could people in 200 years put together enough knowledge to start making some decent scale mail and roman style helmets and swords given essentially ideal raw materials and maybe even access to some modern tools? Sure, I don't see how that's all that far of a leap, especially since in the setting it seems like there are people running around at the very least manufacturing ammo and guns by this point and possibly even restarting some energy weapon/power armor factories.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Anyone got some solid tips for FO4 settlements? Just got the second rank of Local Leader unlocked and I want to make sure I've got the four to five settlements I have running efficiently. Like, until I read a random article, I didn't even know you could assign a settler to six different crops in a settlement. Now I'm worried I may be missing vital information.

• Options
    The NCR certainly has mass production facilities and is manufacturing their own original designs for armor and weapons as of New Vegas. The Legion could very feasibly do the same with the resources they command.

• Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Anyone got some solid tips for FO4 settlements? Just got the second rank of Local Leader unlocked and I want to make sure I've got the four to five settlements I have running efficiently. Like, until I read a random article, I didn't even know you could assign a settler to six different crops in a settlement. Now I'm worried I may be missing vital information.

One person can tend six points of food, within a certain reasonable radius. One person can also patrol six points of defense posts.

Beds = food = water = people, at minimum. Defense = food + water. If you're short on food and water, people will eat/drink through the extras in immediate workshop storage before they start complaining.

Beds under a roof make people happier, but the game is inconsistent about rendering so happiness fluctuates.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    The NCR certainly has mass production facilities and is manufacturing their own original designs for armor and weapons as of New Vegas. The Legion could very feasibly do the same with the resources they command.

It's briefly touched on in the game, but you don't really get the sheer scope of how BIG territoriality the Legion is. It's minimum as large and well populated as NCR, just not as centralized.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options

It's briefly touched on in the game, but you don't really get the sheer scope of how BIG territoriality the Legion is. It's minimum as large and well populated as NCR, just not as centralized.

Yeah, it's a real shame Bethesda will never touch the Legion. Hell, I was surprised anything related to the NCR was even mentioned at all in 4.
    Dammit, I wish Bethesda actually loved the franchise and would actually explore it, rather than loving the IDEA of the franchise and just throwing all the toys in the sandbox and calling it a day.

• Options
    edited April 2018

Yeah, there are several ruins of major cities and the likr they would have access to salvage in their territory.

One thing is that in the west coast in fallout by this point the various factions are pretty well developed, you are no longer dealing with ad hoc post war societies but with emergent states. NCR and Caesars legion are very well organized. Caesar’s legion perhaps more along the lines of something like Alexander or Genghis Khan’s empire that will probably break apart within a few generations of his death but organized nonetheless.

The only thing on the east coast that remotely compares with either is the Fallout 4 era brotherhood, and that’s assuming they are still running DC as a vassal state and Ashur managed to get the Pitt sorted out.

Jealous Deva on
This discussion has been closed.