As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV:Stormblood] Rise of a New Sun (Patch 4.2) rises Jan 30th [Prelim Patch Notes]

• GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    My DR Trial the other night was Sephirot. I had never fought him before or read a guide. I was very confuzzled.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Heavensturn event is up. Get your shiba hats.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Geddoe wrote: »
    My DR Trial the other night was Sephirot. I had never fought him before or read a guide. I was very confuzzled.

Isn't that impossible? Don't you have to run something once before you see it in a trial, or even to unlock DRs?

steam_sig.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    Geddoe wrote: »

Isn't that impossible? Don't you have to run something once before you see it in a trial, or even to unlock DRs?

No, it's possible to roulette into things you haven't cleared, as long as they're unlocked. Expert roulette you have to clear everything in it to run it, sure. But others... not so much. I drew Aurum Vale on leveling roulette at some point despite having never done it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Ah thanks.

steam_sig.png
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    dTDS8nx.png

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    dTDS8nx.png

my soul hurts.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Next PLL is slated for 1/19.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular

Nice video.
    I do disagree with it's claim about being able to play as nothing as a crafter.
    It's technicly true, in that you can pick a crafting class (once you do the start as a non crafter class), and hit max level.
    You can't get the mats, or access maps, without non crafter though, so i think it's not really realistic to say you can play as nothing but a crafter.

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Any idea when new relic weapon quests are happening?

ForceVoid wrote: »
    Any idea when new relic weapon quests are happening?

• EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    Unlocking flying for each zone is weird...like you're pretty much done with the zone by the time you do it, Which is a shame because flying is otherwise fun. But doing it for the hell of it when I have plenty of things I could be progressing really diminishes that.

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Unlocking flying for each zone is weird...like you're pretty much done with the zone by the time you do it, Which is a shame because flying is otherwise fun. But doing it for the hell of it when I have plenty of things I could be progressing really diminishes that.

Flying is deliberately gated such that you do only unlock it as the zone is finished. It's intended to be a thing for backtracking or to get used at level cap.

I still like having flying and going around zones to explore out of the way parts or just sight-see from above. As you point out, it is not something that is a good use of time when one could be leveling.

steam_sig.png

There are a number of tasks that are made exponentially easier by having flying - hunts, beast tribe dailies, gathering, etc.

edited January 2018
    Given the nature of the game there really is no time you couldn't be progressing in some way. And more effectively then "Backtracking" would warrant.

It's probably the most unique feature you can put in an mmo these days. I can only imagine the extra effort to "Flying proof" terrain, the wow Dev's at least act like it's a real investment of time and money...and yet both relegate it to when you're done with the area's you can use it in. What a waste of resources and the feature itself. Very disappointing.

Hell I don't think you can even be dazed in this game, at least I've always been able to just ride straight to objectives with no issue...so it feels even more bizarre to wall it off like this.

EnclaveofGnomes on
    Given the nature of the game there really is no time you couldn't be progressing in some way. And more effectively then "Backtracking" would warrant.

It's probably the most unique feature you can put in an mmo these days. I can only imagine the extra effort to "Flying proof" terrain, the wow Dev's at least act like it's a real investment of time and money...and yet both relegate it to when you're done with the area's you can use it in. What a waste of resources and the feature itself. Very disappointing.

Except that you aren't done with those areas, because there are entire systems that have you returning to them. And as someone who has leveled every job to 70, those systems a very much a tool for progression.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

Hell I don't think you can even be dazed in this game, at least I've always been able to just ride straight to objectives with no issue...so it feels even more bizarre to wall it off like this.

New MSQs often have you go back through zones, and after you finish the current MSQ and want to develop different stuff (either to look good, to level crafting classes or for better loot) you will be going through a bunch of zones again and again. It is not required to progress the MSQ, so you are right in your assessment that you don't need to unlock straight away.

When mounted you're often hit with Heavy, which slows you down and lets mobs catch up with you.

edited January 2018

Not dazed but apparently Hydalen gave every monster the ability to slow you without diminishing returns from here to the reunion.

But yeah you spend a boatload of time in all the zones and make insane use of the ability unless you're just doing the MSQ.

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    I picked this up after Christmas and I've got about 25 hours played so far? I'm not bonkers about the combat gameplay, but I'm surprised how much joy I get from traveling around the world and looking fashionable. To the point where I'm not even mad about how much of the Main Scenario is just courier quests? :rotate:

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    I picked this up after Christmas and I've got about 25 hours played so far? I'm not bonkers about the combat gameplay, but I'm surprised how much joy I get from traveling around the world and looking fashionable. To the point where I'm not even mad about how much of the Main Scenario is just courier quests? :rotate:

There is a part in the main quests between 30 and 40 that is courier quests for days, to the point that they lampoon how ridiculous it is.

It has a satisfying resolution, I feel, and gets way better after.

Enc on
    I ended up joining a rad free company on Goblin and that improved the game for me 5000% also. I was more of a solo player on most MMOs but in this game it does make a real difference.

Also: we have a stables at the guild house and now I have a white chocobo with the rad Maestrom logos on its wings.

Trying to get my chocobo soot black is going to give me an aneurysm. It's not even about the color anymore, now it's personal. A challenge.

Gotta worry about the feeding order.

And get about 150k lying around.

I now plan on getting an olive green chocobo someday. But I am poor, and have no idea how to make money beyond the main quest.

Enc wrote: »
    I now plan on getting an olive green chocobo someday. But I am poor, and have no idea how to make money beyond the main quest.

Gathering, but that's really not all that much fun compared to the MSQ so I always waited until the end to do it myself.

steam_sig.png
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I got rich selling materia. :Shrug:

• Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    just popping in to say i'm going to be at the FF 30th Distant Worlds orchestra performance tomorrow in Kansas City! anyone else been to one of the symphony events that can tell me how it is? i'm pretty stoked!

• Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    the distant worlds concert was AMAZING. if anyone ever gets the opportunity to attend one i recommend it 110%. i'm still thinking about it!

• TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Patch 4.2 will feature a slew of FFVI bosses presumably for the new raid tier.

Doom Train, Chadarnook/Goddess have been previewed as well as...

Kefka

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2018
    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    Maybe if Godbert was there

Stay tuned for the patch 4.2 trailer clip though. It opens with Omen and ends with Dancing Mad

There's some pretty heavy housing purchasing restrictions with 4.2. A special site will go up explaining the restrictions because they're apparently rather complex.

The bullet points are:
    • Wards 13-18 will be opened up. 6 wards in total across all four zones so 2880 new plots
    • Initially FCs with more than 4 members only will be allowed to purchase new plots
    • Individual house purchases will be disabled until a later date
    • There will be a limit of one private house and one FC house per world per service account
    • It will not matter if you are FC master. If you are in an FC with a house, you cannot purchase another FC house on say, an alt on that world
    • Plots that are relinquished will not be re-purchasable for a period of time

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Takel wrote: »
    Patch 4.2 will feature a slew of FFVI bosses presumably for the new raid tier.

Doom Train, Chadarnook/Goddess have been previewed as well as...

Kefka

Don't forget Guardian. That robot that was analyzing Ultros, Air Force, and Dadaluma.

Chadarnook is an interesting addition. For those who don't know FFVI, Chadarnook was a demon that inhabited a portrait of a goddess. Specifically, the goddess Lakshmi.

Enlong on
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    There's some pretty heavy housing purchasing restrictions with 4.2. A special site will go up explaining the restrictions because they're apparently rather complex.

The bullet points are:
    • Wards 13-18 will be opened up. 6 wards in total across all four zones so 2880 new plots
    • Initially FCs with more than 4 members only will be allowed to purchase new plots
    • There will be a limit of one private house and one FC house per world per service account
    • It will not matter if you are FC master. If you are in an FC with a house, you cannot purchase another FC house on say, an alt on that world

I'm not sure how much those help the problem, outside the obvious more wards

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
    Chardanook is also affectionately known to those who play Record Keeper as Cheddarmook

By the way, the encounter has a encounter action which is: Paint

I hope Phantom Train has an ATE with the action "flip".

Ilpala wrote: »

The bullet points are:

I'm not sure how much those help the problem, outside the obvious more wards

A large part of the complaints have been from young FCs not being able to own housing, meaning they can't access FC apartments and airship (and soon submarine) ventures. This is refocusing housing back to its primary intent - FC guildhalls.

The really big things are the housing ownership restrictions (this was something that should have been done from the start) and requiring relinquished plots to go fallow. Those two changes will kill the housing black market.

Looking at the trailer it looks like we may be getting backstory to, and possibly an exploration of, the Isle of Val. We even have a look at a group that might be the FFXIV version of FFV's Dawn Warriors.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I heard Bards have a piano now.

This discussion has been closed.