As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:Stormblood] Rise of a New Sun (Patch 4.2) rises Jan 30th [Prelim Patch Notes]

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Man I don’t even care cosplaying Squall with my character as soon as I get home. Man I hope we eventually get a Cecil glamour. Or a Locke one.

Several of the Cecil pieces are Heavensward pre-order/DCE bonuses.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I thought it was only the earrings; there was a chest piece?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    There was a helmet too, wasn't there?

Also, meh at gunblades. Not really feeling like taking GLA/PLD anymore, and MCH never really clicked with me.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I recall the options for Lightning, Snow, Iroha, Tidus, Yuna, Zidane, Squall, Cloud, Setzer, Onion Knight, Firion, and Warrior of Light outfits being there.

A Terra outfit would be very nice. Pair with the magitek armor and two people wearing Garlean outfits, in a Coerthas zone.

Enlong on
  • Options
    There was a helmet too, wasn't there?

Also, meh at gunblades. Not really feeling like taking GLA/PLD anymore, and MCH never really clicked with me.

PLD earrings/headpiece, DRK helm. I actually did a Cecil DRK glamour with the 180 tank blues.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Ok, so I got my mount the other night. What's next for me to look forward to?

(The next big goal to work toward or achievement to earn, I mean.)

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    Ok, so I got my mount the other night. What's next for me to look forward to?

(The next big goal to work toward or achievement to earn, I mean.)

Level 30, as a lot of things unlock there - such as gainful employment, using your bo in in combat...

• Options
    As an Arcanist, when should I start training the alt skill(s) for Summoner/Scholar (can I do both?).

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Alt skills? If you are talking about Cross Class skills they've done away with that in Stormblood. Your role actions now replace it.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    As an Arcanist, when should I start training the alt skill(s) for Summoner/Scholar (can I do both?).

Secondary classes were removed with 4.0. And yes, you can do both (it's actually very useful to level SMN via SCH, because healer queues.)

• Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    I'd like Roulette: Alliance Raids more if it ever rolled anything other than Labyrinth of the Ancients. (Though I guess I did get Syrcus Tower once. Wooooo.)

Also, is there anything soloable (as a tank) that gives lightcondensation? For the Atma light grind I just speedran unsynced Tam-Tara, but there doesn't seem to be anything similarly facerollable from Heavensward. I keep having people tell me to run A1S, but I haven't finished that raid yet and as A1 normal isn't soloable I can't imagine A1S is.

• Options
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Alt skills? If you are talking about Cross Class skills they've done away with that in Stormblood. Your role actions now replace it.

Oh, sorry. There are no recent guides for anything FFXIV related it seems.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    That's kind of the sad part about a game that has been going strong for a number of years. The early content doesn't get attention from streamers, youtubers and guide writers. The in-game tutorial pop-ups are usually accurate, but I wouldn't mind some more attention going towards improving the new player experience, along with a few handy guides for your average efficiency-minded player.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    antherem wrote: »
    I'd like Roulette: Alliance Raids more if it ever rolled anything other than Labyrinth of the Ancients. (Though I guess I did get Syrcus Tower once. Wooooo.)

Also, is there anything soloable (as a tank) that gives lightcondensation? For the Atma light grind I just speedran unsynced Tam-Tara, but there doesn't seem to be anything similarly facerollable from Heavensward. I keep having people tell me to run A1S, but I haven't finished that raid yet and as A1 normal isn't soloable I can't imagine A1S is.

You can unsynch a squadron mission?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Aldo wrote: »
    That's kind of the sad part about a game that has been going strong for a number of years. The early content doesn't get attention from streamers, youtubers and guide writers. The in-game tutorial pop-ups are usually accurate, but I wouldn't mind some more attention going towards improving the new player experience, along with a few handy guides for your average efficiency-minded player.

Part of the issue is that 90% of the guides are still relevant. It's just that the 10% covers really important stuff.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Isn't the beginners guide on the main site fully up to date? I was amazed at how helpful it is, since I'm not used to the company that produces the game also putting out quest info, etc.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017

My understanding is that level 50 dungeons also give condensation now too? I saw a thread on Reddit about it last week and several people said that, but I didn't try myself. I'd have to think about which 50 dungeons do and don't have mechanics that aren't soloable, but at level 70 any tank should easily be able to solo any 50 dungeon, numbers-wise.

If this is even correct. It would make sense though, since with the 50/60 roulette you can't pick.

Also light (condensation, whatever, the HW stuff) got, again my understanding anyway, doubled across the board.

I still need to get this on my BLM but for the time being I feel my time is better spent leveling other jobs. I'll do that extra stuff when I'm not trading good xp for it.

EDIT: for what it is worth, the single alliance queue I've done since the patch gave me Lost city, so there is hope!

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

My understanding is that level 50 dungeons also give condensation now too? I saw a thread on Reddit about it last week and several people said that, but I didn't try myself. I'd have to think about which 50 dungeons do and don't have mechanics that aren't soloable, but at level 70 any tank should easily be able to solo any 50 dungeon, numbers-wise.

If this is even correct. It would make sense though, since with the 50/60 roulette you can't pick.

Also light (condensation, whatever, the HW stuff) got, again my understanding anyway, doubled across the board.

I still need to get this on my BLM but for the time being I feel my time is better spent leveling other jobs. I'll do that extra stuff when I'm not trading good xp for it.

EDIT: for what it is worth, the single alliance queue I've done since the patch gave me Lost city, so there is hope!

You can solo Amdapor easily on anything at 70. Heck you could do it at 60.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Amdapor Keep, at least. Lost City not so much thanks to that damn first boss.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Amdapor Keep, at least. Lost City not so much thanks to that damn first boss.

Yeah, I don't think DPS is high enough yet to solo Amdapor City Hard.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    So, finally hit BRD 70 last night. All that's left is AST, MCH, DRG, and MNK.

• Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    Can anyone help me out with an invite for the Callback Campaign? I'm not sure what you need to add my character as a friend (does server matter?). I haven't played in ages, but I'd like to checkout the seasonal events going on right now.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    krylon666 wrote: »
    Can anyone help me out with an invite for the Callback Campaign? I'm not sure what you need to add my character as a friend (does server matter?). I haven't played in ages, but I'd like to checkout the seasonal events going on right now.

I PM'd you, but I think I just need a email address to hook you up for the Callback. Let me know and I'll set you up.

• Options
    Caedwyr wrote: »

I PM'd you, but I think I just need a email address to hook you up for the Callback. Let me know and I'll set you up.

I think that only works for refer-a-friend. This campaign specifically says you need to invite someone from your friend list, so if they're not already on there, you can't reinvite. (I tried this for krylon just now.)

• Options
    Caedwyr wrote: »

I think that only works for refer-a-friend. This campaign specifically says you need to invite someone from your friend list, so if they're not already on there, you can't reinvite. (I tried this for krylon just now.)

Ah, that is good to know. I couldn't access the Lodestone while at work to check.

• Options
    So is the seasonal haunted manor thing a rehash of last year?

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    So, I was healing Cutter's Cry as a white mage, and during the last boss (violet/blue eye chimera) the dragoon says "healer, there is a reason, if the tank cancels regen".

He didn't specify beyond that. Thus, I turn to you. What is the reason a tank would cancel regen on that boss?

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    The only reason to cancel regen is if you had it applied before the tank pulled as it will cause initial enmity to go to you.

There is no other reason.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Well, this advice was given roughly halfway through the fight, so I don't think it was pull related.

edit: For further parameters, I've known about the aggro drawing capabilities of heal over time effects since vanilla WoW, there were no aggro mishaps of any kind during the run (from me or the DPS), and no other commentary was made the entire run. Also, warrior tank.

I'm genuinely curious if there is some unknown anti-regen mechanic during that fight, or if it was just a dragoon being a dragoon.

reVerse on
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Idiots being idiots. There's virtually no reason to cancel regen (though there is a reason for entire parties to cancel rolling AoE HoTs)

If the tank is worried about healer pulling aggro during pulls, they should be intercepting the adds first before moving ahead. It's far more valuable to lock in mobs so that you can get healed at any time for any amount than to run through on a single HP bar forcing significant CD usage because there's no opportunity to toss heals during the pull before the pack stops plus the likely chaos of mobs immediately spilling all over the place from the slightest usage of buffs/debuffs or DPS AoE.

Unlike WoW (to the best of my knowledge which is now some.... 3? expansions old), FFXIV healing threat does count on overhealing; not just effective healing done. Hence a 150 potency heal is worth approximately 75 potency of threat regardless of how much it actually heals. That does mean healers can very easily generate stupid amounts of threat via AoE healing (and doing so can actually be a valid tactic in some specific scenarios)

If a tank is incapable of maintaining threat over a healer to the point that cancelling regen is a valid option, that falls squarely into the L2P region. Pre HW levels, Paladins have only Rage of Halone as their highest DPS combos, so Shield Oath or not, they are not losing aggro. Warriors should be in Defiance as that is still a marginal gain over not having a stance due to Path -> IB loops plus Unchained. And DRKs... well a DRK should be able to generate enough damage to beat a healer's threat unless said healer is spamming AoE heals across 8 targets non-stop and even still, a single threat combo every here and there is of little consequence due to a lack of options otherwise.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Latley my roulettes on WAR were for Ifrit and Titan NM with sprouts. I quite enjoyed it. It is simple enough that mistakes arent fixable by me or just result in some dps loss, but it is great to know that the other players are genuinely learning something new about the game.

• Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Thanks for the suggestion of Amdapor Keep for soloing the Anima light grind; that did the trick.

• Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    Idiots being idiots. There's virtually no reason to cancel regen (though there is a reason for entire parties to cancel rolling AoE HoTs)

If the tank is worried about healer pulling aggro during pulls, they should be intercepting the adds first before moving ahead. It's far more valuable to lock in mobs so that you can get healed at any time for any amount than to run through on a single HP bar forcing significant CD usage because there's no opportunity to toss heals during the pull before the pack stops plus the likely chaos of mobs immediately spilling all over the place from the slightest usage of buffs/debuffs or DPS AoE.

Unlike WoW (to the best of my knowledge which is now some.... 3? expansions old), FFXIV healing threat does count on overhealing; not just effective healing done. Hence a 150 potency heal is worth approximately 75 potency of threat regardless of how much it actually heals. That does mean healers can very easily generate stupid amounts of threat via AoE healing (and doing so can actually be a valid tactic in some specific scenarios)

If a tank is incapable of maintaining threat over a healer to the point that cancelling regen is a valid option, that falls squarely into the L2P region. Pre HW levels, Paladins have only Rage of Halone as their highest DPS combos, so Shield Oath or not, they are not losing aggro. Warriors should be in Defiance as that is still a marginal gain over not having a stance due to Path -> IB loops plus Unchained. And DRKs... well a DRK should be able to generate enough damage to beat a healer's threat unless said healer is spamming AoE heals across 8 targets non-stop and even still, a single threat combo every here and there is of little consequence due to a lack of options otherwise.

It's just the initial face pull that annoy's some tanks. Since Flash is still a little wonky to work, and Overpower is awesome but sometimes misses when people are running past the tank. Some pulls have range mobs in them and it's just easier to gather then together into one pack instead of having to chase them all over when initiating with a range pull. But people have an AOE taunt these days.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    The AoE taunt has a 3 minute cooldown. Don't rely on the tank being able to pick things up with it. Most tanks don't even have it selected as a role ability, since the long cooldown makes for very niche uses (and I'm not aware of any content yet that requires it) compared to the other role abilities

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Does it also work like Provoke, in that it just puts you at top aggro +1 so that the next HoT tic would just put aggro back on the healer anyway?

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    i've never met anyone who has found any practical use for ultimatum

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

I could slot this into one of my 5 slots for Tank skills, and boot out something like Awareness.

Or I could just just use Unmend, Unleash, and Abyssal Drain while in Grit.

Maybe I'll use it if we ever get a boss fight against a group of enemies that requires a tank swap of the entire mob.

Enlong on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

I could slot this into one of my 5 slots for Tank skills, and boot out something like Awareness.

Maybe I'll use it if we ever get a boss fight against a group of enemies that requires a tank swap of the entire mob.

But then you slot Shirk and laugh?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »

But then you slot Shirk and laugh?

Tank swap + tank threat reset is where I could see it being required. And that is a very niche case. If it had the same cooldown as Provoke, I could see Ultimatum being used more interchangeably.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Logged back in to play the new stuff, and they've changed how you resize text boxes. I can't figure out how to do it now. Anyone else have this problem or know what I'm talking about?

This discussion has been closed.