Options

[Trump Immigration Policy] DACA renewals continue due to injunction, SCOTUS denies appeal

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Basically the WH wants some sort of policy that demands (or insists if you want to be generous) that immigrants speak English to be allowed in. Acosta asked if that meant only people from England or Australia would be allowed in.

It was pretty precious.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Miller's quietly just as Nazi as Bannon.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Basically the WH wants some sort of policy that demands (or insists if you want to be generous) that immigrants speak English to be allowed in. Acosta asked if that meant only people from England or Australia would be allowed in.

It was pretty precious.

Acosta was also clearly just exaggerating to make a point. Miller then cranked it up to 11 to scream that Acosta was the real racist.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

It was pretty precious.

Ireland doesn't exist now?

I assume they meant English as a second language is OK, but who knows with these guys.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Acosta was also pointing out that requiring people to know English before immigrating to the US was bullcrap, and Miller spun around to say "well, they have to know English to become naturalized," completely missing the point that you don't need to know English to become a permanent resident.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    they uh, know that the us doesn't have an official language, right?

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular

It was pretty precious.

I assume they meant English as a second language is OK, but who knows with these guys.

We Yankees aren't very sensitive to the difference between British and English.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Some states do have one I think. Puerto Rico's official language is Spanish. For the most part English is the de facto language of government, though I think some SW states allow a lot of government services to be done entirely in Spanish?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »

He's not really quiet about it.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Some states do have one I think. Puerto Rico's official language is Spanish. For the most part English is the de facto language of government, though I think some SW states allow a lot of government services to be done entirely in Spanish?

Yeah, but see, in Canada for example, our official languages are English and French. You get bonus points in the Points-based entry program for speaking one or both. It isn't the sole requirement, and if you can make up for it elsewhere, then great - we have a lot of ESL programs for fresh migrants. You have to speak one (or often both) in order to be employed with the government, though.

It doesn't make sense for the US to make that a points requirement since it's not entrenched in the law.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Not really quiet at all.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »

It was pretty precious.

Acosta was also clearly just exaggerating to make a point. Miller then cranked it up to 11 to scream that Acosta was the real racist.

Yeah. I just kind of switched to it trying to understand why the dude at the lectern was giving shit to Acosta as Acosta was trying to clarify something. Then Miller went off on him for deigning to suggest that people couldn't know English in other countries.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Miller has the dead eyes of a reoccurring CBS antagonist. I can't believe he's roughly my age.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

It was pretty precious.

English as a skin shade, more like.

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    I like the Canadian system but the devil is in the details. They should also have an additional program for refugees. Likewise, the number of immigrants should be based on current and projected needs, not some arbitrary limit intended to reduce.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Here's that exchange:

https://youtube.com/WqrmDpYRtPE

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Given that there is no way this get 60 votes, is this entirely designed as a PR stunt?

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »

Not really quiet at all.

I like the guy behind Acosta just starts laughing at the phrase.

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular

Not really quiet at all.

oh boy. the fake outrage and self-assuredness of perceiving to be on the moral high ground for once.

it hurts me.

please make it stop.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Given that there is no way this get 60 votes, is this entirely designed as a PR stunt?

Yes, a way to appease the base. This bill couldn't even get 50 votes.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    What does "cosmopolitan bias" mean? Miller sounded like a child.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Jewish.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular

That dude went to Duke and grew up in Santa Monica.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Taramoor wrote: »

Jewish.

It's more 'effete liberal blah'.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    "that sounds like some national park revisionism" aw yeah

jesus christ Miller is a completely horrible asshole

oh my god I can't keep watching this. he's a walking debate fallacy in real life.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

Not really quiet at all.

holy shit this absolute indignation is so fucking overblown and transparent

In the words of John Lovett: This fucking C+ Santa Monica Fascist

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The debate teacher at the high school I teach at is going to use this exchange as some things not to do in a debate.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Got about 30 seconds in and gave up

Miller is exactly the type of asshole I've had in classes that thinks they're incredibly smart then gets a D on their final because they kept arguing with the professor about what is or isn't true and wrote incorrect bullshit and tried to pass it off as accurate

God this administration is just fucking chock full of smug assholes.

• Options
    I had a student once argue with my econ professor that Japan wasn't a capitalist country because they have welfare.

I laughed so hard I actually left the room for 10 minutes and when I came back in they were still arguing with the professor while the professor just looked at me and sighed.

That is who Stephen Miller is. To a fucking T.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I had a student once argue with my econ professor that Japan wasn't a capitalist country because they have welfare.

I laughed so hard I actually left the room for 10 minutes and when I came back in they were still arguing with the professor while the professor just looked at me and sighed.

That is who Stephen Miller is. To a fucking T.

I am shocked, SHOCKED

No, you are fucking not shocked. You're not a good actor, so quit trying.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Stephen Miller the type of asshole to work as an emergency call operator and tell people stuck in elevators that wanting a functioning elevator is a cosmopolitan entitlement.

• Options
    Gotta say I like this tactic though. Make the whole thing about illegal immigration, then start clamping down on legal immigration.

Hey guess what people who voted for them: it was never about immigration. it's about not-white people

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Holy shit what an asshole.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I just got home and watched the Acosta clip.

The feined umbridge couldn't have been anymore staged if he paused to consult his notecards before launching into it.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    "that sounds like some national park revisionism" aw yeah

jesus christ Miller is a completely horrible asshole

oh my god I can't keep watching this. he's a walking debate fallacy in real life.

So, over/under on how long it'd be before he got an infraction and then a banning from here?

Man, I don't think I can subject myself to the full thing, but the Crooked Media guys weren't kidding.

What an asshole.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    What's cosmopolitan bias mean?

And are we really playing that card now, Stephen?

Is there anything else worth watching in that six minute clip?

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Waffen wrote: »
    What's cosmopolitan bias mean?

Coastal liberal Jewish elitist

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ((cosmopolitan))

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah that definitely reminded of that "New York sense of humor" scene from the West Wing pilot.

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    Yeah that definitely reminded of that "New York sense of humor" scene from the West Wing pilot.

That scene still gets me in rankles.

This discussion has been closed.