As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Trump Immigration Policy] DACA renewals continue due to injunction, SCOTUS denies appeal

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    can we start copy pasting tweets in plain text since they don't load except on mobile

.... or is it just me they don't load for?

They are loading for me on desktop. Might be an ad- or script-blocker?

I don't think I have that

I just have current firefox with no add ons

edit: got it, it was avast =P

edit2: nevermind, don't got it

oh well

Xaquin on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    can we start copy pasting tweets in plain text since they don't load except on mobile

.... or is it just me they don't load for?

They are loading for me on desktop. Might be an ad- or script-blocker?

I don't think I have that

I just have current firefox with no add ons

edit: got it, it was avast =P

edit2: nevermind, don't got it

oh well

I'll start pasting as text as well for completeness.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    So I just flipped by the FOX Buisness channel where they were interviewing the acting head of ICE. He said that they are working with Justice to force Cook county to give ICE access to the jail, and insinuated that they might charge officials with obstruction if they don't let ICE into the Cook County jail.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Our next (actual) President needs to bring down the axe on ICE.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Our next (actual) President needs to bring down the axe on ICE.

Our next Democratic president is going to be struggling to keep the country together after Trump has wrecked it for 4-8 years.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    JoeUser wrote: »
    From NFL to immigration in less than 10 minutes

The deal they talked about included Dems offering money for increased border security, so as usual this is a straight up lie.

I wonder if he knows it's a lie. I really kinda feel like someone just fed him a line of bullshit about the deal he struck. Or if he just forgot about it.

None of his comments I've seen ever seem to acknowledge the previous deal. It's not like he's out there going "The deal was bad, Democrats betrayed me, blah blah blah", he's just acting like it never happened.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    So I just flipped by the FOX Buisness channel where they were interviewing the acting head of ICE. He said that they are working with Justice to force Cook county to give ICE access to the jail, and insinuated that they might charge officials with obstruction if they don't let ICE into the Cook County jail.

That's...certainly an image.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Yeah, Dart isn't going to comply with that.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Yeah, Dart isn't going to comply with that.

it's straight up unconstitutional. the Supreme Court has repeatedly held that the federal government cannot compel state officials to enforce federal law. this is different from saying that the States need to comply with Federal law. what ICE is claiming they will do here is beyond that line. a competent federal agency department head would know this.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    SCOTUS has mooted the Travel Ban 2.0 challenge.

Chris Geitner is a Legal and SCOTUS correspondent for BuzzFeed.

ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    'If we sit on our hands long enough, it goes away!'

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    'If we sit on our hands long enough, it goes away!'

Alt post: "If we make the unconstitutional effects temporary and end before SCOTUS can get to it, we can do anything we want!"

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Fucking what?

Seriously? "No, go ahead and build your fascist vision, just don't ask us to say anything."

So what does this mean for the 2nd ban version?

and where the fuck do I march?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

WTF does this mean exactly?

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

WTF does this mean exactly?

"Mulligan" ?

The ban in the EO being contested expired on the 26th of September. The challenge of the EO is therefore moot, as it has self destructed.

....And been replaced with a new EO and a new ban, but I guess thats's technically out of scope and will have to be challenged separately.

• Options
    Travel Ban 3.0 and the expiration date of 2.0 are the likely reasons the Supreme Court has mooted the challenge. lawsuits have already been filed against the new ban. makes little sense to litigate a ban that's already been superseded, so the Court is trying to be efficient. means that no ruling is made on the merits of the 2.0 ban either way.

ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Travel Ban 3.0 and the expiration date of 2.0 are the likely reasons the Supreme Court has mooted the challenge. lawsuits have already been filed against the new ban. makes little sense to litigate a ban that's already been superseded, so the Court is trying to be efficient. means that no ruling is made on the merits of the 2.0 ban either way.

And then when 3.0 makes it close to SCOTUS they stop it and start 4.0...

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Obviously there are some rather dour opinions on the makeup of the court around here, but I hope that superseding that is the notion I have that judges generally don't like being dicked around, regardless of affiliation (presumed or otherwise).

"lawl we'll just make a new law every quarter and never have it last long enough to make it through to SCOTUS" seems like a good way to piss off some judges. Even if some of them might agree with the approach or goals, I can't imagine they're happy with how it's being undertaken.

But that might just be the starry-eyed optimist in me seeking some tiny bit of light.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Wow, what an asinine opinion.

That’s like SCOTUS saying Roe v Wade was moot because the child was already born before it got to them.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

That’s like SCOTUS saying Roe v Wade was moot because the child was already born before it got to them.

There was actual precedent about mootness and cases involving pregnancy. The court was able to recognize that it was a unique situation that didn't deprive them of jurisdiction.

This is an entirely different situation from a temporary EO that had an expiration date.

Please keep in mind the September executive order has no similar expiration date or temporary status. It goes into effect October 18. The only way they could evade appellate review of this order, which has already been challenged separately IIRC, is by rescinding it in part or completely and writing a new one, which would then be subject to the same review. I doubt that strategy will work out in the long term.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

There was actual precedent about mootness and cases involving pregnancy. The court was able to recognize that it was a unique situation that didn't deprive them of jurisdiction.

This is an entirely different situation from a temporary EO that had an expiration date.

Please keep in mind the September executive order has no similar expiration date or temporary status. It goes into effect October 18. The only way they could evade appellate review of this order, which has already been challenged separately IIRC, is by rescinding it in part or completely and writing a new one, which would then be subject to the same review. I doubt that strategy will work out in the long term.

Plus I doubt that any court would be a fan of using administrative tricks to try to manipulate them, regardless of who is doing it. At some point they'd start ruling that the orders were substantially similar enough to let cases carry over.

• Options
    Learn something new every day.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    President Trump will extend a March 5 deadline to end protections for young undocumented immigrants if Congress fails to act by then, according to a Republican senator who spoke directly with the president about the issue.
    TULSA — President Trump will extend a March 5 deadline to end protections for young undocumented immigrants if Congress fails to act by then, according to a Republican senator who spoke directly with the president about the issue.
    “The president’s comment to me was that, ‘We put a six-month deadline out there. Let’s work it out. If we can’t get it worked out in six months, we’ll give it some more time, but we’ve got to get this worked out legislatively,’ ” Lankford said outside a town hall here Thursday night.

"If you don't fix it in six months, I'll just keep threatening to break it until you do."

EDIT: Forgot the source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/trump-to-extend-march-5-deadline-to-end-daca-protections-if-congress-doesnt-act-gop-senator-says/2017/10/12/b64d2984-afba-11e7-be94-fabb0f1e9ffb_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_daca-1110pm:homepage/story&utm_term=.8dfc4aeca9f9

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Yeeeaaa, I'm not putting any trust in him doing anything 6 months from now.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Can anyone unpack why they vacated the lower ruling as opposed to dismissing it as Sotomayor dissented, leaving the 4th's ruling in place?

Would taking her approach have left us measuarbly better off, or is it more of an aesthetic technicality?

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    President Trump will extend a March 5 deadline to end protections for young undocumented immigrants if Congress fails to act by then, according to a Republican senator who spoke directly with the president about the issue.
    TULSA — President Trump will extend a March 5 deadline to end protections for young undocumented immigrants if Congress fails to act by then, according to a Republican senator who spoke directly with the president about the issue.
    “The president’s comment to me was that, ‘We put a six-month deadline out there. Let’s work it out. If we can’t get it worked out in six months, we’ll give it some more time, but we’ve got to get this worked out legislatively,’ ” Lankford said outside a town hall here Thursday night.

"If you don't fix it in six months, I'll just keep threatening to break it until you do."

EDIT: Forgot the source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/trump-to-extend-march-5-deadline-to-end-daca-protections-if-congress-doesnt-act-gop-senator-says/2017/10/12/b64d2984-afba-11e7-be94-fabb0f1e9ffb_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_daca-1110pm:homepage/story&utm_term=.8dfc4aeca9f9

Yeah right. He'll back down as soon as someone tells him the lawsuit will be back on and Sessions will be forced* to defend it.

*he won't.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    What Trump promises to do in the future has already been proven to be a load of shit so don't expect it.

• Options
    Injunction against the New travel ban announced

In #HawaiivsTrump we have just won. Nationwide injunction on travel ban 3. Opinion to follow.

This is one of the attorneys

• Options
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    It's a game show now

This was his plan all along.

"America! It's time too...

BUILD! THAT! WAAALL!!"

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    the U.S. Army has stopped enlisting green card holders.
    However, the email from Williamson states green card holders cannot even get to the background check process, as they are now barred from enlisting “until further notice.”

Mic is an online news publication.

the Trump Administration as always is the most racist admin in modern times.

ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    The fuck?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    It's a game show now

This was his plan all along.

"America! It's time too...

BUILD! THAT! WAAALL!!"

Maybe the Bluths can build it.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The fuck?

It was always about racism. Just more evidence for the pile

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I'm not sure if this is policy or just unleased ICE being dicks, but they're slandering immigrants now:
    http://www.nixle.us/9N8YZ
    http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/fires/article179322896.html

That's a press release from Sonoma County Sheriff's Office, correcting misinformation ICE put out...in which they blamed him for starting a wildfire with no proof, *and* slammed the sheriff for not holding him illegally.

The dude is apparently homeless, and was (rightly) arrested for setting a fire to keep himself warm during high fire danger conditions. A fire which was put out on the spot.

EDIT: small correction- ICE didn't quite overreach that far. They just highly suggested it and the right wing media being what it is went right for it.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    I'm...not sure...what to make of...this.
    Since federal courts first enjoined President Donald Trump’s Muslim travel ban, lawyers for his administration have been at pains to insist that anti-Muslim animus is not a driving force of policymaking in his government.

But an internal White House document, obtained exclusively by Crooked Media, suggests that the reach of Islamophobia among Trump administration aides and advisers stretches far beyond the four corners of the travel ban, into the budget-writing process, where the White House’s full agenda comes together. The document also reflects the extent to which the White House policymaking process, conducted in the shadow of the media circus around Trump himself—from family planning to federal hiring to nutritional assistance—is defined by ideological extremism, and tempered by incompetence.

Policymakers in Trump’s White House argue that the U.S. should refrain from influencing curricula and “other touchier-feelier programs” at foreign institutions that receive federal funds to educate young girls—except in “muslim countries, where we need to do a check of the curricula at the schools we’re supporting to weed out jihadism.”

Though not as nakedly discriminatory as Trump’s 2015 call for a “complete and total shutdown of Muslims” entering the United States, this new proposal, like the travel ban, envisions a double standard in the application of policy toward people and institutions on the basis of whether their home countries are majority Muslim or not.

These same officials are convinced that the World Health Organization is a “corrupt, hostile bureaucracy that achieves no actual [public health] capacity in countries.”

And they hope to halve federal funding for Title X, the grant program that provides family planning and prevention services to the poor, and divert the money into programs to promote “fertility awareness” methods of birth control—popular among socially conservative contraception foes—which fail annually for a quarter of couples.

Members of the White House’s Domestic Policy Council (DPC) transmitted these and other priorities and concerns, as part of their longer wish list, to the Office of Management and Budget, seeking their inclusion in the budget the president will submit to Congress next year, according to a source who provided the memo to Crooked Media.

There's more. And the unvarnished wording for some of the memo is just...precious.

And here's what I like about this article:
    defined by ideological extremism, and tempered by incompetence

Somebody had better write a fucking book about this administration with this line as the sub-title.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    The only thing preventing these idiots from doing more harm than they already are, is these idiots themselves?

Which is not to trivialize the amount of very real, permanent harm this administration has already done (preventable deaths in Puerto Rico, for one); it's just, a competent evil government could have erased everything Obama ever did and crushed us under their heels by now, rather than having us facepalm from crisis to crisis.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The only thing preventing these idiots from doing more harm than they already are, is these idiots themselves?

Which is not to trivialize the amount of very real, permanent harm this administration has already done (preventable deaths in Puerto Rico, for one); it's just, a competent evil government could have erased everything Obama ever did and crushed us under their heels by now, rather than having us facepalm from crisis to crisis.

I probably say this once a day, but the scariest thing about this administration is the blueprint it provides for a future candidate who is evil & competent.

Like imagine a muslim ban created by people who are smart enough not to fucking call it a muslim ban, and constantly tweet about it being a ban, and going on the air and talking about how they were trying to find legal ways to do the muslim ban after they realized it'd be illegal.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

I probably say this once a day, but the scariest thing about this administration is the blueprint it provides for a future candidate who is evil & competent.

Like imagine a muslim ban created by people who are smart enough not to fucking call it a muslim ban, and constantly tweet about it being a ban, and going on the air and talking about how they were trying to find legal ways to do the muslim ban after they realized it'd be illegal.

First they have to get past the extremist wings, candidates who do this will be seen as a moderate by Trumpites.

This discussion has been closed.