As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It is a Dark Age, a Bloody Age, an Age of [Total Warhammer]

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Uriel wrote: »
    Is there a way to repair the ones that are ruins?

When you go to move into a ruin you'll get an option to repair. It'll cost you gold and will deplete your units, though, so you may need a few turns to get back to full strength.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    A steak! wrote: »

When you go to move into a ruin you'll get an option to repair. It'll cost you gold and will deplete your units, though, so you may need a few turns to get back to full strength.

Oh cool. I didn't know this!

I wonder where I should focus next. North or get those holds off west for the ones I need over there.

north has vampire counts and west seems to have some goblins and elves. And border princes I guess between me and them western dwarfs.

Though I'm starting to think something big is going to happen on some turn or other given what tube said.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I'm playing Shogun 2 to assuage my torment. It's pretty good but I can't stop wishing one of these guys was a gigantic spider instead of an angry man with a sword

• Options
    edited July 2017
    I was just looking at my achievements for this actually and apparently in that battle in the ork city where I barely survived my King killed over 200 guys on his own because I got Leadership test and Bloodthirsty.

Also glad I had my runesmith in there, that AOE armor rune came in handy. Lucky I remembered how to use those abilities that battle too!

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    A steak! wrote: »

If you have a little bit of spare time and gold, you can just hire a single Lord and have it colonize the ruins, so you don't cripple an entire army

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

Move an army into them and you can repopulate them. It'll use a lot of the population of that army though.

• Options
    ghosted!

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Welp, I caved and bought this.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Oh also this game is 66% off during the Steam Sale and you should definitely pick it up

I am tempted but I know 2 is on the horizon
    Just how Dawn of War 3 is sadly a Moba is why I am now wary of it

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    2 is more of a standalone expansion that adds more races. But you still need the first game to play the first game's races. And if you have both games, there will be a super campaign that combines the two games.

• Options
    There is zero downside to buying 1

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    yeah isn't the second game's campaign basically on a whole different continent? the cinematic trailer implied as much

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Part of what I'm most excited about with 2 is the combined map, which requires both games, so I recommend getting 1 now while it's cheap

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I think I might start my game back up today.

I dunno when though, every time I boot it up anymore I lose at least 3 hours.

Speaking of my game of this though, I disbanded one of my smaller less necessary armies to the south because the greenskins are almost gone and I figured I could use the upkeep costs back.

My income per turn shot up to like 6000 from 2500. I still have like 4 armies.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Dropping armies in times of peace is a legitimate tactic. Just figure out how long it would take you to muster an army in an emergency.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Probably about three turns to turn out a small force that can at least have a good chance of repelling an attack, Dwarfs are cool like that, just some longbeards and regular ass quarrelers and maybe some thunderers can fight off a hell of a force. Plus I still have 3 standing armies near Misty Mountain. and one up north just in case of beastmen or vampire counts breaking through.

I want to unlock irondrakes but don't have a big enough city yet for the building I think.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Any provincial capital can build them.

• Options
    Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    One trick with Dwarves is to go after the main Greenskins faction (led by Grimgor Ironhide) hard, because they're the only ones who can confederate tribes. Also because Grimgor can probably solo your army.

If you manage to rock the Greenskins faction completely, the rest will stay as scattered tribes. It's also ok to sign a treaty for some breathing room if you need to.

I'm in my first playthrough and I think I managed to get lucky and do that before I became aware of the confederation mechanic, maybe even one of the other dwarf clans for him. I'm a little over turn 100 and orcs are just a distant memory.

The only really tough war I had was against the vampire counts, and once I finally beat down the walls of their capital I was a bit disappointed to discover that I couldn't take it over. Even worse I went to war with the border lords so that I could send my troops through a shorter path to that front and I couldn't take their settlements either.

Things are going well now though. Vampires are now my vassals, border lords agreed to a peace treaty after having several of their turns looted, and I'm looking at betraying an old dwarf ally to make a good impression on the other two remaining clans.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I just won a major military victory in my Bretonnia game and am now the most powerful Bretonnian faction by a fair shake. I'm currently allied with all of the other Bretonnians, and just for fun I decided to see what would happen if I confederated with everyone on the same turn (I've previously only confederated with one of the other factions). I saved first, just in case.

My income dropped from +1500 to -3600 a turn and my farms were working at -66.67% efficiency (from probably a -10% before). Even with massive troop cuts and heavy taxing, I couldn't get my income above -2500 a turn.

I chose to reload that save.

• Options
    That's standard, it's because they were running at a loss and have a bunch of crappy armies. Just go through and shut all their shit down.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I've seen it happen before. It gets worse with the Bretonnians because of the peasant army thing, but it's essentially the same still.

I was more doing it just to see exactly how much it would tank my economy.

• Options
    It's taking me a few more turns than I thought it would to mop up these orks.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    yeah isn't the second game's campaign basically on a whole different continent? the cinematic trailer implied as much

Three different continents. Lustria (Basically South America), Southlands (Africa), and Ulthuan (Atlantis!) where as game one is just Europe pretty much.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    It's turn 91 and I'm getting ready to set siege to Deff Gorge in the next turn or so.

Also I own the mountains through confederation almost all the way north now, Gotta figure out once the greenskins are gone how to get at the couple of holds in the far north that I need.

I think it might be tricky to get the holds to the west, I'm separated from them by the border princes which is why I assume I can't confederate them?

Once I have all the holds I have to clear out the chaos warriors right? That sounds hard. I think they are neck and neck with me around strength rating 1.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    You can Confederate with any of the holds as long as you've discovered them and can open up diplomacy with them.

If you Confederate with a faction there's about an 8 turn timer before you can Confederate with someone else. The icon telling you how many turns are left will be at the top of the screen next to your income.

Chaos can be difficult as you need to wipe out all four legendary lords in quick succession otherwise they'll keep respawning.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    You can cancel with any of the holds as long as you've discovered them and can open up diplomacy with them.

If you Confederate with a faction there's about an 8 turn timer before you can Confederate with someone else. The icon telling you how many turns are left will be at the top of the screen next to your income.

Chaos can be difficult as you need to wipe out all four legendary lords in quick succession otherwise they'll keep respawning.

Oh I didn't know this! Cool good to know. I wonder if I should do agrund or hirn first?

• Options
    edited July 2017
    You can cancel with any of the holds as long as you've discovered them and can open up diplomacy with them.

Oh I didn't know this! Cool good to know. I wonder if I should do agrund or hirn first?

Whichever is closer to your main area.

Bear in mind confederating with these far off holds will open up a new front for you to defend.

Depending on where the Chaos doomstacks are you could end up confederating but then having all of Chaos descending on your isolated outposts.

SharpyVII on
  • Options

Bear in mind confederating with these far off holds will open up a new front for you to defend.

Depending on where the Chaos doomstacks are you could end up confederating but then having all of Chaos defending on your isolated outposts.

Is why I've been focusing on contiguous areas while I wipe up the rest of the Greenskins. It seems like the western guys are dealing with gobbos and some beastmen which I've joined the war against but haven't actually had to do much fighting with yet.

The beast men razed one of my holds near the border prices but I turned them back at the next settlement and am about to March a pretty good sized army to meet them before they can recover.

• Options
    edited July 2017

Depending on where the Chaos doomstacks are you could end up confederating but then having all of Chaos defending on your isolated outposts.

Is why I've been focusing on contiguous areas while I wipe up the rest of the Greenskins. It seems like the western guys are dealing with gobbos and some beastmen which I've joined the war against but haven't actually had to do much fighting with yet.

The beast men razed one of my holds near the border prices but I turned them back at the next settlement and am about to March a pretty good sized army to meet them before they can recover.

Sounds like a good plan.

Most of the times I've failed is because I've rushed and over extended myself, exposing myself to several fronts.

Though sometimes several factions will just declare war on you for no apparent reason.

Sending other factions small gifts every turn does quite a lot for keeping them on your good side.

You also want to maintain a trustworthy reputation by not breaking treaties or declaring war on people you've just made peace with. Having an untrustworthy reputation is a big hit against your diplomatic standing with other factions.

You can find out how trustworthy you are on the diplomatic screen under your portrait on the left side.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    This is getting complicated around turn 96!

Weird that the wood elves have two of the holds I need, I really was hoping I wouldn't have to go to war with too many other factions until I have to try to find and take out chaos.

Although some kinda chaos guys seem to have swung into the southern badlands and started to push me around.

• Options
    I'd leave the Wood Elves until last. Wood Elf outposts outside of Athel Loren aren't hard to take out, but their retribution could be severe.

• Options
    I should probably slow my roll before confederating the last independent dwarfs. and start making sure my territory is under control and such.

Also I finally killed one of these fuckers.

I had those two quarrelers, two miners and those two dwarf warriors at the start of that battle and they had me outnumbered by quite a bit but I took that high ground early.

• Options
    How much do I need to bribe someone in order to get them to become my vassal? I feel like I've never seen the option go above a low chance of success.

• Options
    I think you can get a victory as Dwarfs by being military allies with whoever is holding the holds, so you don't have to confederate if you don't want to

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Turambar wrote: »
    I think you can get a victory as Dwarfs by being military allies with whoever is holding the holds, so you don't have to confederate if you don't want to

Is it possible to ally with the wood elves?

They've got grimhold.

Though some of the northern western holds are ruins right now which sucks. I think beastmen or gobbos razed them. I guess I can get military access if I'm allies with the elves though.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    You can ally with them, but I actually don't know if it will fulfill the victory condition if it's another race

Probably not

• Options
    It is worth a shot. I'm friendlyish with them.

• Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    I don't think it matters what race your ally is, the only thing that matters is that you control the listed settlements.
    Control means that either you or an ally owns it.

• Options
    I'm on friendly terms with the elves now.

Don't think I will get an alliance with them until I confederate clan Agrund though since they seem tense.

• Options
    Just get everything else and then take that settlement as your last turn.