Options

[Metal Gear Solid] Konami remembers it used to make games

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Monetizing the save slots is just bad on every front. If you don't really need more than one save slot, so what do you have multiple for? No matter what, it looks incredibly anti-consumer since the actually important stuff for saving is entirely single-player, run on your local machine and saved locally.

Whether or not the rest of the game is good, it's entirely valid to rake them over the coals on this. I don't want this become a standard monetization practice in single player games I play, so I'm glad people are calling them out on it so that the industry as a whole gets a message about business ideas that consumers aren't going to accept.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    It's sad just how hard people and even some sites are trying to make this game look bad. Since when are spinoffs a bad thing? Do people pay so little attention that they really thought this was a MGS6 game?

At least it's good to see that people who actually play the game like it, as the positive rating on Steam shows.

I was surprised they didn't come here and trash the game, especially after the save slot thing.

Why did you talk this conversation up, man? You guys had a good thing going. :P

I don't want discussion here to be overtly hostile to Survive, since it's likely the only new Metal Gear game we're probably getting for the next fifteen years or so. That being said, I think it's fair to expect a fair share of ribbing.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    It's sad just how hard people and even some sites are trying to make this game look bad. Since when are spinoffs a bad thing? Do people pay so little attention that they really thought this was a MGS6 game?

At least it's good to see that people who actually play the game like it, as the positive rating on Steam shows.

I was surprised they didn't come here and trash the game, especially after the save slot thing.

I don't want discussion here to be overtly hostile to Survive, since it's likely the only new Metal Gear game we're probably getting for the next fifteen years or so. That being said, I think it's fair to expect a fair share of ribbing.

I think there's more to "being a Metal Gear game" than having the label on the box. Just like Harvest Moon was bought by a hostile entity and subsequently abandoned by the fanbase, I don't think using the Metal Gear engine and being owned by the same Yakuza adjacent gambling firm makes it part of the series.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I'm fine with Konami getting raked over the coals for the saves thing, but I just think it overly dominates the conversation and any other critiques that have to actually to with, like, the game itself.

Like for instance, a critique: it's dumb as shit that bleeding is super common (you have a high chance of getting afflicted with it on any grab and when being struck), super devastating (stops your health regen until healed), and requires what seems to be the most rare resource (styptic).

Another critique: this game is paced poorly with its systems explanations and introductions.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to get more distress calls, because apart from the two story-based ones, I haven't gotten any additional personnel, which is becoming a bit of a nuisance. I want more dudes on my base defense team so that I'm not always waking up to find my fences knocked over and potato fields destroyed.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Dac wrote: »
    Right now I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to get more distress calls, because apart from the two story-based ones, I haven't gotten any additional personnel, which is becoming a bit of a nuisance. I want more dudes on my base defense team so that I'm not always waking up to find my fences knocked over and potato fields destroyed.
    that one is time based, you can rest at a tent to advance time 24 hours and have a chance for distress calls to spawn on one of the maps. (may have to travel to the other map to find it)
    don't forget to talk to team members when they have an exclamation mark too as that can spawn food/distress calls.

I had the non-story distress ones kick in not long after
    defeating the boss you fight when getting back to the first map
    Seth

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Y'know what woulda cost a significantly less investment with much more goodwill payoff - finishing MGSV. Even just the Kingdom Of The Flies, would have gone a long way to making people like Konami again.

I assume most people dunking on this won't ever even look at it, much less play it. I don't really think that's unfair though. They got everything to prove, and delivered an at best sub par game.

Dunno, man. I'm willing to bet if they tried to do that, people would start screaming at them for even trying to finish Kojima's work without him.

I would in theory be totally down for a Kojima-less MGS. He's not the sole fountain of weirdness, and in fact some of the bigger problems MGS has lie directly at his feet. There are plenty other people who could carry the torch.

By that same token though, Konami has proven to be petty little pricks, who foster a borderline dystopian work environment, and have next to no vested interest or passion in game development. So the above theory is just that: theoretical.

If anything, it's Kojima's project I have the biggest skepticism of. There's an ever building mountain of evidence of "auteur" studios/creators who "break free" from the shackles of Big Business's oppressive thumb and can finally make their dream project... only for said dream project to be utter dreck. And like I said, MGSV has some significant issues, issues that can't be blamed on Konami or their meddling in the game. They're pure Kojima. So we'll see just how that game turns out. I'm firmly in the camp of hoping for the best, but absolutely expecting the worst.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Konami has many years of potential MGS money just sitting there waiting to be made. Instead of making shitty survival games, just start remaking the original titles in the Fox Engine. Metal Gear 1 & 2, and all the MGS games. Assuming Konami didn't fuck them up somehow, I would buy all of those day one.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm surprised Konami isn't going after that (relatively) easy remaster cash.

In other news, someone's bitter:
    Right after you're prompted to enter your name at the beginning of Survive's campaign, you'll see it added to a clipboard among a group of other military code-names. Eagle eyed users on both Reddit and Twitter have noticed that if you take the first letter of each of the last names on that page, it spells out "KJP Forever", which could be interpreted as "Kojima Productions Forever" (with a break between the P and the F for the player's custom name).

Underneath that, two of the names with particularly negative connotations -"Bastard Yota" and "Cunning Yuji"- share the same first names as Survive's director Yota Tsutsumizaki and producer Yuji Korekado. Both are listed as "AWOL."

Going a little deeper, if you take the first letters of the last names of 'Iron Marlin' and 'Dire Gibbon', you get 'MG' - or 'Metal Gear'. Both soldiers are, tragically, listed as 'KIA'.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

Oh, my point was that up the point where he said that, the bees were in their nest, as it were.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Jesus I can't believe how much shit they're still introducing after the story has 'wrapped'.

FFS we monster hunter now.
    Just encountered the Big Mouth.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm surprised Konami isn't going after that (relatively) easy remaster cash.

Right after you're prompted to enter your name at the beginning of Survive's campaign, you'll see it added to a clipboard among a group of other military code-names. Eagle eyed users on both Reddit and Twitter have noticed that if you take the first letter of each of the last names on that page, it spells out "KJP Forever", which could be interpreted as "Kojima Productions Forever" (with a break between the P and the F for the player's custom name).

Underneath that, two of the names with particularly negative connotations -"Bastard Yota" and "Cunning Yuji"- share the same first names as Survive's director Yota Tsutsumizaki and producer Yuji Korekado. Both are listed as "AWOL."

Going a little deeper, if you take the first letters of the last names of 'Iron Marlin' and 'Dire Gibbon', you get 'MG' - or 'Metal Gear'. Both soldiers are, tragically, listed as 'KIA'.

Those names are a holdover from MGSV. I know the conspiracy theory is appealing but they're really...
    names of Wandering Mother Base soldiers from MGSV. Your name being one of them becomes important especially considering one of the alternate endings where you end up as one

• Options
    Jesus I can't believe how much shit they're still introducing after the story has 'wrapped'.

Does the real game start 100 hours in?

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited February 2018

Does the real game start 100 hours in?

More like 15-20 hours if you do coop for supplies and to level up; it's set up a bit like Destiny or the Division where there's a post-game after you beat the main story missions

Zavian on
  • Options
    It's really quite bizarre. Classes, single player base defense, recruitment of soldiers, giant monster hunts - all things that you would assume would make their way into the single player story and be introduced as mechanics there - are all in the post-game.

I might as well bookmark this post for later in case I find out that the latter half of the game's story is coming up or something silly.

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    So, is a fair assessment of this game "It's good, but there's a lot of angry nerds on the internet who won't let you enjoy it because it has Metal Gear in the title?"

• Options
    edited February 2018
    So, is a fair assessment of this game "It's good, but there's a lot of angry nerds on the internet who won't let you enjoy it because it has Metal Gear in the title?"

IMO it's good if you like grindy survival games with loot loops with optional online 4 player coop, but I can definitely see people not liking it for those reasons, especially the loot grind. The story and characters are all very underdeveloped, personally I'm enjoying the gameplay loop though it is grindy like an MMO, but making progress significantly faster than one

Zavian on
  • Options
    It's a mixed bag. There are elements of it that are good, there are elements of it that are not so much. I think if people said "it's a 7.5/10 game, grab it on discount", that'd be a fair assessment.

The first hour of the game is... not good. It's a lot of cutscenes that don't have a lot of panache featuring characters you don't have reasons to care about, briefly interrupted by you getting to play while it introduces mechanics to you. The problem is, the breaks between playing are so long that it feels bad as a tutorial, since you have to wait a longass time before you get to exert what you just learned again.

Once you get past that, you get to return to the MGSV cycle of sneaking around and collecting things, and since it's still mostly MGSV, it's still not bad. Did you enjoy the missions with the zombified infected soldiers in MGSV? If you did, this is an entire game of them, except they are more aggressive, respawn often, and you have less ammo. If you didn't... well, I dunno what to tell you.

• Options
    7/10 is where I'd put it, yeah. If you like the genre, it's a pretty good buy. At 40 bucks, I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of it, and am continuing to play and find new things.

The scavenger hunts for the boxes is surprisingly fun.

Also just called in a Ray on a co-op defense. It's basically a map-clearer. Shows up through a wormhole, shoots/stomps/blows up everything, finishes by clearing any remaining enemies with its hydro-beam, and leaves through another wormhole.

Is fun stuff.

• Options
    Zavian wrote: »

Those names are a holdover from MGSV. I know the conspiracy theory is appealing but they're really...
    names of Wandering Mother Base soldiers from MGSV. Your name being one of them becomes important especially considering one of the alternate endings where you end up as one

Did they appear in this particular order in MGSV?

• Options

I'm not sure the exact order they appeared or when/if they were listed in MGSV but they were:

Jackal
    Komodo Dragon
    Rat
    Parrot
    Ostrich
    Eagle Ray
    Raven
    Falcon
    Viper

• Options
    Man that's one of those things that's kinda nifty about Survive. The fact that
    it can be considered 100% canon, it's just that winning means you died in the alternate timeline and none of that goofy wormhole shit happened over there.

• Options

I'm not sure the exact order they appeared or when/if they were listed in MGSV but they were:

Jackal
    Komodo Dragon
    Rat
    Parrot
    Ostrich
    Eagle Ray
    Raven
    Falcon
    Viper

There's definitely a lot of new ones in Survive, then.

• Options
    edited February 2018

Jackal
    Komodo Dragon
    Rat
    Parrot
    Ostrich
    Eagle Ray
    Raven
    Falcon
    Viper

There's definitely a lot of new ones in Survive, then.

Yea but it was pretty deliberate and factors into the story, whether it was originally an injoke Easter egg who knows, just saying the checklist isn't a throwaway thing (the devs as well as Konami probably knew MG was 'dead' in a sense without Kojima so went with the spin-off route, one of the first cutscenes Snake almost stands in for Kojima as the player cries out for Big Boss as he leaves not to be seen again)

Zavian on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    The real petition that needs to happen is to shut Virgil up, because boy do I love hearing her explain to me how stamina works every single time I dip below 1000 after sprinting.

• Options
    The real petition that needs to happen is to shut Virgil up, because boy do I love hearing her explain to me how stamina works every single time I dip below 1000 after sprinting.

"Boss, that's a Hind-D...."

• Options
    l_g wrote: »

A Hind-D?

• Options

A Hind-D?

https://youtu.be/TSKnHP5nuTo

• Options

A Hind-D?

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Any Metal Gear game out of Konami post-Kojima was going to be met with automatic skepticism and scrutiny from me, and I don't think I'm alone in that. He and a good portion of KJP were treated poorly, and we've read about the working conditions at Konami. Still, I can't help but be interested in a new Metal Gear.

Someone made the point that some Metal Gear games have been in odd genres, and I'm glad that was pointed out (Ac!d, for example). I'm open to a MG game that's outside of the usual stealth action genre. So it's not that I dismissed Survive outright because it's from Konami, it's that Survive is a survival game, and I don't care for survival games.

On a related note: I like Kojima and I'm looking forward to Death Stranding, but I am under no illusions that he alone is necessary to the success of a MG game. Many, many people work on a single game, and it's silly to think that any one man makes all the decisions. Good MG games have been made without him, after all.

So I hope Survive does well. It would be great if the first MG game after Kojima beat expectations and became a success. And while I hope future MG games appeal to me and turn out well, I will probably continue to look at them with increased scrutiny.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Gonna be real honest. If Survive was just Sandbox MGS5 with create a character and some novelty unlockable op characters like Quiet and Ocelot I would have bought it eight times over.

Hell keep the Zombies who gives a fuck.

From everything I've seen they actively made the Fox Engine WORSE, then added Poking with a stick "melee" combat, and the survival and base building systems that EVERYONE LOVES.

This is one of those rare situations where being lazy would have resulted in a far better game

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Ooh! That's another thing I'd happily give Konami money for, a revengeance/Bayonetta style action game where you play as Quiet.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    The melee combat has multiple moves, even for the pokey stick, but prominent reviewers are playing the first mission only and then giving a review, which is incredibly dishonest.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Polygon did a deep dive into the folks that made Survive, based on the credits.

tl;dr 1/4th of MGSV's credited staff appeared in Survive, while 2/3rds of the development staff of Survive worked on MGSV (since Survive had a smaller staff).

Edit:
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Ooh! That's another thing I'd happily give Konami money for, a revengeance/Bayonetta style action game where you play as Quiet in a less embarrassing outfit.

Fixed.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Well. I never thought I would see a ~3,000 word essay with speculative analysis of the credits of a video game because the game's marketing, etc didn't focus on the staff of the video game.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Ooh! That's another thing I'd happily give Konami money for, a revengeance/Bayonetta style action game where you play as Quiet.

It's no Revengeance 2, but you can play as multiplayer Quiet in MGSV campaign mode with mods, complete with new (and much better looking IMO) armor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcqvnKNcjJs

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    One thing I did notice that is locked behind a microtransaction paywall is changing gender; you can change your character's appearance but not gender, which technically does lock game content behind a paywall if you want to check out how armor looks on the opposite sex. With all the backlash I'm hoping Konami gives players enough credits to unlock a second character slot, and they have been giving small daily login bonuses of them, but still pretty lame

• Options
    Changing character gender has been one of those things that, for ~whatever~ reason (/s), I've consistently seen Japanese companies avoid. At least it's not as bad as some old Korean games where they'd ask your gender on account creation, and you could only make characters of that gender.

Considering you get SV coins from logging in, and can eventually do it... Eh, not too bothered. It's not like there's much else to spend SV coins on. It is a little lame, but I'm finding it difficult to be upset when this is one of the only games I've bought in a while that didn't have a silver/gold edition totaling up to $80-$100, didn't have day-one launch DLC, or a season pass, or a goddamn pay-to-spin digital slot roulette, and was priced reasonably for the experience delivered at $40.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the saves thing was a late addition, like how micro-transactions were crammed into Mankind Divided mere weeks before gold, considering how little incentive there is to even having a second save file. If this were Activision or EA, you know they'd be offering $1 crates of resources and $5 for a crate of (potentially) epic gear and hats.

(Side note: This is how much the "AAA" game industry has killed me. I'm so happy to just have A FUCKING GAME for once, even if it is pretty average.)

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Changing character gender has been one of those things that, for ~whatever~ reason (/s), I've consistently seen Japanese companies avoid. At least it's not as bad as some old Korean games where they'd ask your gender on account creation, and you could only make characters of that gender.

Considering you get SV coins from logging in, and can eventually do it... Eh, not too bothered. It's not like there's much else to spend SV coins on. It is a little lame, but I'm finding it difficult to be upset when this is one of the only games I've bought in a while that didn't have a silver/gold edition totaling up to $80-$100, didn't have day-one launch DLC, or a season pass, or a goddamn pay-to-spin digital slot roulette, and was priced reasonably for the experience delivered at $40.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the saves thing was a late addition, like how micro-transactions were crammed into Mankind Divided mere weeks before gold, considering how little incentive there is to even having a second save file. If this were Activision or EA, you know they'd be offering $1 crates of resources and $5 for a crate of (potentially) epic gear and hats.

(Side note: This is how much the "AAA" game industry has killed me. I'm so happy to just have A FUCKING GAME for once, even if it is pretty average.)

This strikes me as... terrible thinking? Ignore the bad things that Konami actually did to this game for inadequately explored reasons, invent fictional things that other game companies could hypothetically do to be mad at them instead?

• Options
    edited February 2018

This strikes me as... terrible thinking? Ignore the bad things that Konami actually did to this game for inadequately explored reasons, invent fictional things that other game companies could hypothetically do to be mad at them instead?

One game that immediately jumps to mind that gender locked based off your account creation was Ragnarok Online, I vaguely remember Lineage being quirky with gender too. However, it should be noted that people don't create multiple characters just for the purpose of changing gender, and such actions could be performed for the purpose of simply having unique characters.

The said, the "bad things" that Konami did to this game are subjective. The only real "bad thing" that EA explicitly baked in a mtx was resource packages within Dead Space 3, so such a thing isn't entirely made up. That being a "bad thing" being subjective within the context of that game too. Other than the save slot thing, which doesn't seem to have any major impact on most players, I don't even know what people are going on about when they say such things. I only hope it's more than "Konami treats its employees bad" or "Kojima-senpai" or whatever, but eh. I don't see the point of trudging through this either.

edit: grammar and sentence structure, may have to go back when I'm not sleepy and more interested in actually playing games than posting about them.

tastydonuts on
  • Options

I have stated before in this thread, in fact on this page, that I'm fine if people want to ding Konami over it, that it's not something that I'm exactly happy about, but that I find it overblown to a ludicrous degree. I am not ignoring it. I have looked at what it is, what it offers, the consequence for not having it, and found it to be an eye rolling own-goal on Konami's part because they have probably lost more money to the bad press than they ever could have possibly gotten out of a silly purchase like this. Because Konami is still, as ever, bad at business.

And invent? As tastydonuts pointed out, this is stuff that's already happened in games. I don't need to invent things to be mad at when EA/Activision are happy to provide examples. Surely I don't need to bring up Battlefront 2, do I? The western industry is already at that point.

So yeah. Neither ignoring nor inventing. I understand why people would be upset, but for my part, I'm simply not too bothered, for the reasons listed above. Not excusing it, just giving an opinion.

Sorry.