Options

[Metal Gear Solid] Konami remembers it used to make games

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    So new patch today, which made purple legendaries rarer (was a guaranteed S rank drop on Normal previously), as well as nerfed the shotgun which used to let you carry 100+ rounds; good times were had, but I totally get why they nerfed (here's me last night for example)
    https://youtu.be/WsQ9mxcmMEg

Zavian on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    It is now also significantly more difficult to get an S rank in Hard. You have to actually keep that support digger protected at all times and make sure accelerated digging has as much uptime as possible. Had some rough matches today.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    They just patched it again this morning, apparently easier to get legendaries again in S rank, but not as much as last week. One thing I am a fan of is them being able to release patches server-side and not have to wait on console certification to do patches and balance changes

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Changing character gender has been one of those things that, for ~whatever~ reason (/s), I've consistently seen Japanese companies avoid. At least it's not as bad as some old Korean games where they'd ask your gender on account creation, and you could only make characters of that gender.

I've consistently seen a lot of games flat out not let you remake custom characters without actually beginning a new "game" (or modifying the game in a nonstandard way). Look at Mass Effect. Or for that matter, World of Warcraft and Grand Theft Auto Online--excluding things like haircuts (which have a deliberate narrative item). In fact, that seems a lot more like the norm extending out of games where you have some kind of character choice whatsoever (I hope you liked the gender of your character in Diablo III, because that's never changing, and you've got valuable loot attached to it now).

It's gradually becoming a thing, which is welcome, but the norm very much seems to be, "You created a character--hope you how they look aside from different clothing!" and if you're lucky hairstyles and some very basic features. It's definitely not exclusive to Japanese games. Dragon Age II had an expansion that most people remember because it did include an appearance changing item; you couldn't change the gender either (as it would alter certain story elements I believe?).

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Dragon Age II had an expansion that most people remember because it did include an appearance changing item; you couldn't change the gender either (as it would alter certain story elements I believe?).

That's a perfectly valid reason, if it would mean a bunch of extra complexity story-wise.

But as I said in the Sea of Thieves thread recently, I ain't got time to poopsock 80 hours of gameplay if I decide I don't like my character's appearance any longer.

• Options
    That's why I welcome it, but it certainly doesn't seem rare (or unique to Japanese games). It seems like it's still the norm across the board.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Character recustomization is one of those things I can take or leave. It's obviously great to have the option, and yeah, there are games where the character you made in the creation menu is not the one running around in the actual game, so it'd be great to be able to tweak it without having to restart the entire game over. So yeah, yay options. On the other hand if the option is not there, I don't consider it a grievous offense or anything.

Having the option, but charging for it though? Yeah, that's some icky business practice. It also feeds into the narrative of "stuff that was in games prior but now have been pulled out and monetized, like cheat codes and such".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    There can be a gamut of technical issues that might make character redesign impractical or undesirable (going down to game architecture)--hopefully those would be ironed out, but there could be other things actually relating to gameplay beyond character design that need to be addressed to.

Having that ability, and charging for it, is problematic though, in the "day one DLC" kind of way. And charging for save slots even more.

• Options
    So I was running around at random and completely lost my bearings. This game is pretty damn ominous when you suddenly find yourself in ruins you've never ever seen before and your oxygen refill is getting ever more expensive.

• Options
    I'd be fine with a dark souls homage and just have something silly like getting into a casket and magically changing. To be fair though, you can customize your character completely, the only thing you need to create a new character for is for gender. You can get around the save slot issue by making a new PSN/XBL profile, but I'm guessing on PC that isn't possible.

• Options
    I honestly didn't play that much of the beta--would character modification be the primary motivation for wanting another new character? No variations in character skills that you couldn't walk back, loot rewards, etc.? I'm pretty sure there are no character classes (which are something we often accept as being unchanging as the sunrise).

• Options
    edited February 2018
    I honestly didn't play that much of the beta--would character modification be the primary motivation for wanting another new character? No variations in character skills that you couldn't walk back, loot rewards, etc.? I'm pretty sure there are no character classes (which are something we often accept as being unchanging as the sunrise).

Nope there really is no other reason. You can unlock all the main survivor class skills by the end of the game, and unlock/switch to any of the advanced classes post-game whenever you want. Changing gender is the only reason someone would have to make a new character (I would say character name, but your name appears as your PSN/XBL name online anyway so doesn't really make a difference)
    Echo wrote: »
    So I was running around at random and completely lost my bearings. This game is pretty damn ominous when you suddenly find yourself in ruins you've never ever seen before and your oxygen refill is getting ever more expensive.

You can use flags out in the dust to triangulate your position; there's also a mobile Oxygen Supply item you can craft and deploy eventually. But yeah, I like the Dust concept, makes it more interesting and tense

Zavian on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular

The main reason for an extra slot is that you get a whole new FOB in addition to your current one, and you can farm with it as well since resources are shared between characters. So it really isn't just an extra character, but a significant boost to your main file.

• Options
    Satsumomo wrote: »

The main reason for an extra slot is that you get a whole new FOB in addition to your current one, and you can farm with it as well since resources are shared between characters. So it really isn't just an extra character, but a significant boost to your main file.

Doesn't that also mean the additional base crew consumes more resources?

• Options
    I assume you do, I just unlocked that last night so I'm unsure how demanding that mechanic is!

• Options
    Zavian wrote: »

Nope there really is no other reason. You can unlock all the main survivor class skills by the end of the game, and unlock/switch to any of the advanced classes post-game whenever you want. Changing gender is the only reason someone would have to make a new character (I would say character name, but your name appears as your PSN/XBL name online anyway so doesn't really make a difference)
    Echo wrote: »

You can use flags out in the dust to triangulate your position; there's also a mobile Oxygen Supply item you can craft and deploy eventually. But yeah, I like the Dust concept, makes it more interesting and tense

Something I also figured out late in the game: even if you don't have the area explored on the map, if you find a road your map functions will come back on for as long as you're on it. Helps if you're getting lost.

• Options
    Something I also figured out late in the game: even if you don't have the area explored on the map, if you find a road your map functions will come back on for as long as you're on it. Helps if you're getting lost.

I suspect it's a bit story-gated too, or whatever roads I ended up on in the arse-end of nowhere at least didn't work.

• Options
    It being a MG game, I wouldn't be surprised if they have some sort of signal reception simulation going on there, being affected by terrain.

• Options
    Satsumomo wrote: »

Didn't know resources were shared. Alright, that bothers me a bit if it's affecting actual gameplay.

• Options
    The teleport wotsits are definitely story-gated though. Walked past several I couldn't activate until the story had me conveniently close.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I fired up MGS5 for the first time last night. I had played Ground Zeroes years back on the PS4, but had never gotten around to playing The Phantom Pain.

I was spoiled on the big twist but outside of that I'm going in fairly blind. It's been a lot of fun so far, I'm tear-assing through Afghanistan kicking ass and fultoning names. I have a hunch on who the Man on Fire is.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Changing character gender has been one of those things that, for ~whatever~ reason (/s), I've consistently seen Japanese companies avoid. At least it's not as bad as some old Korean games where they'd ask your gender on account creation, and you could only make characters of that gender.

I've consistently seen a lot of games flat out not let you remake custom characters without actually beginning a new "game" (or modifying the game in a nonstandard way). Look at Mass Effect. Or for that matter, World of Warcraft and Grand Theft Auto Online--excluding things like haircuts (which have a deliberate narrative item). In fact, that seems a lot more like the norm extending out of games where you have some kind of character choice whatsoever (I hope you liked the gender of your character in Diablo III, because that's never changing, and you've got valuable loot attached to it now).

It's gradually becoming a thing, which is welcome, but the norm very much seems to be, "You created a character--hope you how they look aside from different clothing!" and if you're lucky hairstyles and some very basic features. It's definitely not exclusive to Japanese games. Dragon Age II had an expansion that most people remember because it did include an appearance changing item; you couldn't change the gender either (as it would alter certain story elements I believe?).

Mass Effect actually has a significant reason for this: certain conversations and relationship options only exist for certain genders, and there was potential for invalid game state or inconsistent event flags since the character is carried over between games. Eventually it turned out to not be such a huge problem bug-wise, but as a design consideration for carried over game state, it significantly simplifies design considerations to just lock it out.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    I would have found it so goddamn sick if, at the end of MGS 5,
    the real Big Boss' voice was Hayter's, and all the stuff about voice actors was just a classic Kojima smokescreen - because of course Venom wouldn't have Hayter's voice. He's not Big Boss!

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    the real Big Boss' voice was Hayter's, and all the stuff about voice actors was just a classic Kojima smokescreen - because of course Venom wouldn't have Hayter's voice. He's not Big Boss!

Unfortunately, Kojima is a Hollywood fanboy and never had the affection that the fans did for Hayter.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I fired up MGS5 for the first time last night. I had played Ground Zeroes years back on the PS4, but had never gotten around to playing The Phantom Pain.

I was spoiled on the big twist but outside of that I'm going in fairly blind. It's been a lot of fun so far, I'm tear-assing through Afghanistan kicking ass and fultoning names. I have a hunch on who the Man on Fire is.

Allow me to share a brief story that will hopefully get your gears turning about getting creative in this game. It's the early mission where you have to assassinate/extract 3 Soviet commanders.

Imagine if you will, the truck containing the first commander stopping his jeep with his guards to inspect an animu-Waifu box in the middle of a desert. I was careful not to tranq or alert the guards, as this breaks their waypoints. Their lusts satisfied, the guards hopped back in the jeep and went to the rendezvous. I listened closely to their conversation, and then triggered the C4 charge I had placed on said commander, killing everyone in the room.

Basking in my perfect stealth bonus, I claimed my S rank.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options

Unfortunately, Kojima is a Hollywood fanboy and never had the affection that the fans did for Hayter.

Yeah... If there's one black mark on Kojima, it's how he treated Hayter. Not very classy.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    so apparently they gave a 100SV gift and a premium boost to people who created a char prior to 2/27 and ppl are bitching about that... lol

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

Allow me to share a brief story that will hopefully get your gears turning about getting creative in this game. It's the early mission where you have to assassinate/extract 3 Soviet commanders.

Imagine if you will, the truck containing the first commander stopping his jeep with his guards to inspect an animu-Waifu box in the middle of a desert. I was careful not to tranq or alert the guards, as this breaks their waypoints. Their lusts satisfied, the guards hopped back in the jeep and went to the rendezvous. I listened closely to their conversation, and then triggered the C4 charge I had placed on said commander, killing everyone in the room.

Basking in my perfect stealth bonus, I claimed my S rank.

Beautiful.

I've been mixing it up between trying to be a stealth ninja and going fullblown Rambo 3. One thing that's fun is to use a sniper rifle to pick off a couple dudes quickly, then book it somewhere else and grease a couple more while they're all blindly firing into the place where I used to be.

There are a million guns I can manufacture but honestly I've been having fun using nothing more than an upgraded version of the starter assault rifle/tranq gun as well as a sniper rifle and grenades. I should probably start branching out though.

• Options
    so apparently they gave a 100SV gift and a premium boost to people who created a char prior to 2/27 and ppl are bitching about that... lol

That's on top of the 30SV they've been giving out daily. The blind hatred directed at this game is something I haven't really seen before. I'm still having fun with it though, just kind of depressing when you try to find any good YouTube videos about it and they're all viciously negative. I hope it causes Konami to improve the game as much as they can, I still think there's a fun game once you peel away all the early game grind and resource constraints.

And as for MGSV:TPP discussion, it's a FANTASTIC open world sandbox simulator game, so many various ways to play a mission. Ironically, I never got into Metal Gear Online or it's FOB system, yet Im enjoying Survival. I'm such a weirdo Metal Gear fan!

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Wait, so, what the fuck? In MGS Phantom Pain you are playing as the actual Big Boss as in the guy referenced in Metal Gear Solid as the dude who created Outer Heaven for like, warriors to live or whatever?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Wait, so, what the fuck? In MGS Phantom Pain you are playing as the actual Big Boss as in the guy referenced in Metal Gear Solid as the dude who created Outer Heaven for like, warriors to live or whatever?
    you play as the big boss of the original 2d metal gear

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Oh, it's not even the first time you play as Big Boss! The immediate predecessor to Phantom Pain has you playing as Big Boss and ends with this speech!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMBE4Swd-oc

Ground Zeroes and MGSV are direct story continuation of that!

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    Yeah technically you play as Big Boss in Metal Gear Solid 3, then there's the PSP games, then play as him again in MGSV Ground Zeroes; the plot twist is that..
    in Phantom Pain you play as Venom Snake, who goes on to be Big Boss of the original Metal Gear, but isn't the "real" Big Boss that you played in MGS3 or Ground Zeroes

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Protagonist list (Mega spoilers):
    Metal Gear (1): You play as Solid Snake and fight "Big Boss" who is actually Venom Snake.
    Metal Gear 2: You play Solid Snake and fight the actual Big Boss.
    Metal Gear Solid: You play as Solid Snake and fight Liquid Snake.
    MGS2: You briefly play as Solid Snake before switching to Raiden for the rest of the game. You fight Solidus Snake.
    MGS3: You play as Naked Snake, who begins transitioning to becoming the character Big Boss after killing his mentor, The Boss.
    MGS4: You play as Solid Snake and fight any villain who's lasted this long into the timeline.
    MGS Portable Ops: You play as Big Boss.
    MGS Peace Walker: You play as Big Boss.
    MGS Ground Zeroes: You play as Big Boss.
    MGS5 Phantom Pain: You play as "Big Boss" who is actually Venom Snake.
    Metal Gear Rising Revengeance: You play as Raiden and fight Nanomachines, son.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    NANOMACHINES

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Just snortin' em off a mirror.

*snrrrrrt*

WOO NANOMACHINES SON!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »

That's on top of the 30SV they've been giving out daily. The blind hatred directed at this game is something I haven't really seen before.

This sort of thing happens all the time. There's nothing weird or wrong with liking Survive.

I've been on the other side of it as well with that XCOM third person shooter game, and more recently with The Order: 1886. You just have to shrug and ignore the crazier folks and enjoy your game.

There are legit criticisms, though, and personally I think it's fair to call the game mediocre.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Normally I am of the mind that ya like what ya like.

However giving any amount of money to Konami is an actively awful thing to do. Like anti-charity or something. And I strongly ask anyone thinking of doing so to reconsider.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm all for giving games chances, but after years upon years of Konami being utterly shitty it should be expected this game arrives with some baggage.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Yeah but then there's actual shitty companies like Blizzard Activision and their massive tax avoidance scheme which is completely unethical. I'm not sure where the Konami boycott stuff comes from besides creative differences and them not developing their franchises as opposed to massive corporate fraud on their part