Options

[Metal Gear Solid] Konami remembers it used to make games

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    Yeah but then there's actual shitty companies like Blizzard Activision and their massive tax avoidance scheme which is completely unethical. I'm not sure where the Konami boycott stuff comes from besides creative differences and them not developing their franchises as opposed to massive corporate fraud on their part

Konami has been in the news for abusing employees multiple times.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Yeah but then there's actual shitty companies like Blizzard Activision and their massive tax avoidance scheme which is completely unethical. I'm not sure where the Konami boycott stuff comes from besides creative differences and them not developing their franchises as opposed to massive corporate fraud on their part

You mean how they treated Kojima at the end of MGSV production (essentially firing him and keeping him away from the dev team to finish the game before it went more over budget) or the 2015 reports, the worst of which I found were:
    - Konami game developers who aren't seen as useful are reassigned to jobs as security guards, cleaning staff at the company's fitness clubs or put to work on the production line at a pachinko-slot machine factory. This includes not just junior staff, but producers who have worked on well-known game titles.
    - Employees on Hideo Kojima's "Kojima Productions" team are forced to work on computers allegedly not connected to the internet and are only able to send internal messages.
    - Employees leaving the company offices during their lunch break are having their absences monitored with time cards. Those who stay out too long are having their names announced throughout the company.
    - Most Konami employees do not have their own permanent company email addresses. Staff who must deal with people outside the company, such as sales and PR do; however, everyone else routinely has their address randomised and changed every few months. This is reportedly done to prevent headhunting from rival companies.
    - That there are cameras in the office corridors that aren't there for security, but rather to monitor the movements of the company's own employees

Konami seems like a paranoid place to work, but don't most game companies do that, especially with 'crunch' time in development? I haven't been able to find any accounts of actual physical or vocal abuse by Konami on their employees, or any massive tax avoidance schemes like Activision Blizzard

Zavian on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I don't have any problem with people not wanting to play a game because of ethical reasons. It's when people start putting out factually wrong reviews in an effort to paint the game as bad (I'm looking at Dunkey's review) that I have issues with.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    I don't have any problem with people not wanting to play a game because of ethical reasons. It's when people start putting out factually wrong reviews in an effort to paint the game as bad (I'm looking at Dunkey's review) that I have issues with.

The Angry Joe review also shows him only playing the first hour or two, which is ironic because it's a 20+ minute video that must have taken many hours to film and edit, more time than he actually spent playing the game before reviewing it (as an example, there's multiple clips where he doesn't even have a gadget crafted or equipped i.e. grenades)

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

You mean how they treated Kojima at the end of MGSV production (essentially firing him and keeping him away from the dev team to finish the game before it went more over budget) or the 2015 reports, the worst of which I found were:
    - Konami game developers who aren't seen as useful are reassigned to jobs as security guards, cleaning staff at the company's fitness clubs or put to work on the production line at a pachinko-slot machine factory. This includes not just junior staff, but producers who have worked on well-known game titles.
    - Employees on Hideo Kojima's "Kojima Productions" team are forced to work on computers allegedly not connected to the internet and are only able to send internal messages.
    - Employees leaving the company offices during their lunch break are having their absences monitored with time cards. Those who stay out too long are having their names announced throughout the company.
    - Most Konami employees do not have their own permanent company email addresses. Staff who must deal with people outside the company, such as sales and PR do; however, everyone else routinely has their address randomised and changed every few months. This is reportedly done to prevent headhunting from rival companies.
    - That there are cameras in the office corridors that aren't there for security, but rather to monitor the movements of the company's own employees

Konami seems like a paranoid place to work, but don't most game companies do that, especially with 'crunch' time in development? I haven't been able to find any accounts of actual physical or vocal abuse by Konami on their employees, or any massive tax avoidance schemes like Activision Blizzard

Forcing switching out your email account and preventing any access to the internet sounds like a nightmare of your employer breathing down your neck. Being a little late on your lunch break getting you called out and shamed across the company sounds pretty cruel. It sounds quite a bit more dystopian than other game dev studios. There's a reason that stuff leaking was a big news story.

I haven't played Survive yet but nearly everyone I've seen has recommended against it. If you're way into that sort of survival thing maybe but there's an awful lot of low stamina and poking things with a pipe. The people I've heard who have finished the game are saying that resources tend to be limited in such a way that the sharp stick poking happens throughout the game, not just at the beginning. Sounds like there's some interesting nuggets of stuff but a lot of it doesn't happen until post game? Not surprised this turned out this way, especially after some of the weird unfinishedness of MGSV, but still kind of disappointing to see Metal Gear go out like this.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

Seeing these two still annoys me.

This is only a problem if one feels that those jobs that are beneath their so-called station. There's nothing wrong with any of those positions in and of themselves. It's bad on Konami's leadership to use this as a punishment, and for people to say it's even a punishment, because it's a form of classism.

Forced punches for lunch is a thing that happens in many places of employment. While shaming violators isn't good—unofficially extended lunches and the like are stealing time—a fireable offense.

but eh, this... is too dead horse for me so whatever.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

Konami seems like a paranoid place to work, but don't most game companies do that, especially with 'crunch' time in development?

No!

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Forcing switching out your email account and preventing any access to the internet sounds like a nightmare of your employer breathing down your neck. Being a little late on your lunch break getting you called out and shamed across the company sounds pretty cruel. It sounds quite a bit more dystopian than other game dev studios. There's a reason that stuff leaking was a big news story.

I haven't played Survive yet but nearly everyone I've seen has recommended against it. If you're way into that sort of survival thing maybe but there's an awful lot of low stamina and poking things with a pipe. The people I've heard who have finished the game are saying that resources tend to be limited in such a way that the sharp stick poking happens throughout the game, not just at the beginning. Sounds like there's some interesting nuggets of stuff but a lot of it doesn't happen until post game? Not surprised this turned out this way, especially after some of the weird unfinishedness of MGSV, but still kind of disappointing to see Metal Gear go out like this.

I still haven't beaten the game, I haven't poked through a fence since the first hour. If you only use guns then yes, ammo gets scarce. You can easily play a few coop missions using good melee weapons and/or the bow to gather enough lead to stock up on bullets. The only resources I'm lacking are the higher end blue resources you use to craft gear and repair legendaries, all the basic resources I have stockpiled, and with the base farms and water purifiers I have lots of extra food and water. The melee weapons aren't all bad, some are pretty fast and fun; I prefer the machete
    https://youtu.be/kz-bhEG0GUQ

• Options

Konami seems like a paranoid place to work, but don't most game companies do that, especially with 'crunch' time in development?

No!

I want to make it clear I don't agree with Konami at all doing that, it sounds like a terrible place to work, and so does EA who have also been repeatedly exposed for abusing their employees. Can we all agree that these companies are wrong for behaving that way, and if you want to not buy games from companies like Konami, EA and Activision Blizzard then that's totally fine?

• Options
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Some of those things seem to be more in line with Japanese work culture than Konami being specifically evil though, would be interesting to know if other more "traditional" companies have the same practices. I know working in Japan in general is pretty bad.

• Options
    Japan isn't the only place where people would deem working as a security guard, janitor or other service sector thing would be an affront to a person though. IDK...

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Does the job change to security guard also come with a paycut as it probably would in the US? It's definitely intended to be insulting.

It sounds like Konami is out of the norm for other businesses in Japan from my reading.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    There's a difference between crunch and massive demotions to a completely different field, denying health insurance and (this is the big one) preventing the face behind a popular game series from communicating with his employees when the game's deep in development.

None of the other companies have done anything that spiteful that publicly.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Stealing time or taking too much time is an HR issue. Could it lead to being fired? Sure, as per company policy. Should it be used as a tool for shaming? No, that's insane and could instantly be used as evidence for a lawsuit here. Not sure about Japan, their workplace laws could be worse.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Dac wrote: »
    Changing character gender has been one of those things that, for ~whatever~ reason (/s), I've consistently seen Japanese companies avoid. At least it's not as bad as some old Korean games where they'd ask your gender on account creation, and you could only make characters of that gender.

I've consistently seen a lot of games flat out not let you remake custom characters without actually beginning a new "game" (or modifying the game in a nonstandard way). Look at Mass Effect. Or for that matter, World of Warcraft and Grand Theft Auto Online--excluding things like haircuts (which have a deliberate narrative item). In fact, that seems a lot more like the norm extending out of games where you have some kind of character choice whatsoever (I hope you liked the gender of your character in Diablo III, because that's never changing, and you've got valuable loot attached to it now).

It's gradually becoming a thing, which is welcome, but the norm very much seems to be, "You created a character--hope you how they look aside from different clothing!" and if you're lucky hairstyles and some very basic features. It's definitely not exclusive to Japanese games. Dragon Age II had an expansion that most people remember because it did include an appearance changing item; you couldn't change the gender either (as it would alter certain story elements I believe?).

Mass Effect actually has a significant reason for this: certain conversations and relationship options only exist for certain genders, and there was potential for invalid game state or inconsistent event flags since the character is carried over between games. Eventually it turned out to not be such a huge problem bug-wise, but as a design consideration for carried over game state, it significantly simplifies design considerations to just lock it out.

Agreed. One of the many reasons allowing you to heavily alter a character after you design it--particularly changing gender (which would necessitate different voice work, potentially different plot trees, etc.), is definitely the exception to the rule games, Japanese or otherwise.

Very few games are Sunset Overdrive

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I mean, there's a Call of Duty game that lets you change the gender of the story protagonist at a whim, so

This is less of an issue with linear stories tbh. I mean, more relevantly NPCs would still refer to your controlled Diamond Dog soldier in MGSV as "Boss" even if your character was female
    But I suppose for both examples, fluid character identity being an important theme made that a legitimate design decision, and I havent played enough of Survive to say whether or not that applies here

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

Konami are legendarily assholish as a company, and have been known to be so for a while now. If you told me tomorrow that Konami's CEO was actually a Captain Planet villain escaped from the TV, I'd nod and go "that makes perfect sense".

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    deleted snarky comment. carry on.

RickRude on
  • Options
    I like the new side bosses they added today to co-op hard missions, I didn't read the patch notes and kind of just wandered into one
    https://youtu.be/62u57zkh6b0

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Looks tuff. Will have to try it out when I get home.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    It definitely is; my team didn't beat the boss, still got through all three waves but only with a C rank. Looks like there's a guaranteed special drop for clearing it on S rank though

• Options
    Lol E rank.

Two fucking morons fighting the monster the whole time only able to deal about 10% of its health, and leaving me and another guy to get swarmed under in wave 3.

Won't be trying that again. At least not until I can carry idiots.

• Options
    I think they need to lower the HP of the monster, it gives 300k kuban so to get S rank you have to beat it; there might be some weak spot I'm just missing, but it soaks up a ton of ammo. They also need to add a way to kick idlers, so annoying when doing S rank normal missions with that one person that just idles the whole time

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Apologies if I'm pissing on anyone's parade, but I just briefly wanted to touch on this:
    This is only a problem if one feels that those jobs that are beneath their so-called station. There's nothing wrong with any of those positions in and of themselves. It's bad on Konami's leadership to use this as a punishment, and for people to say it's even a punishment, because it's a form of classism.

I think the problematic nature of it isn't necessarily the sole idea that janitorial duties are beneath their position (though I imagine many employees might construe it as such), but rather for many of these people, they've spent this time and effort to be a part of a company, under a particular role with a set of skills, and delegating them to a role so far removed from what they were hired to do in the first place completely devalues their skill set, whether it be a programmer or team manager, or director. I know if I were in that position I'd be pretty miffed that the message they decided to send was "we believe you're so useless with the skills that you brought to the company that we'd be better off burying you in a completely different, irrelevant department", rather than any actual meaningful remedial action.

Like, as a managing pharmacist I deal with piss and shit and vomit every now and then and I won't turn my nose up at dealing with it even if I didn't spend 5-6 years plus a year's worth of examinations just to deal with the rigors of the retail/service industry, but I'd protest if management decided to assign me to the cleaning closet for 8 hour shifts.

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    This thread has gotten a bit derailed (my fault as well). Can we keep the Konami discussion to the Konami thread and keep this thread about Metal Gear games?

Speaking of which, I hope they add the new PvE rescue co-op mode soon, Hard Missions at the moment are just too...hard? I still haven't gotten an S rank yet on dailies or weekly hard missions

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Found this video that rebuts some of the more misleading parts of the leading youtube reviewers.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7FngrrIo_c

I've been itching to get time to get back into this. That said, I don't hold it against anyone who doesn't like this type of gameplay or doesn't want to support Konami's business practices.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I didn't think anyone took Dunkey's "reviews" seriously. I like his stuff, but they seem to be intended as silly entertainment type things and not as an actual review.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I didn't think anyone took Dunkey's "reviews" seriously. I like his stuff, but they seem to be intended as silly entertainment type things and not as an actual review.

Kinda like Jim Sterling, amirite? HEY-OooooooO

Shots fired! Bang bang bang!

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Well, technically Jim doesn't even do reviews anymore. He just posts his thoughts on the games he's played. So those probably shouldn't be taken seriously either :P

I stopped watching Angry Joe when his channel turned into a movie review thing.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    I think this trailer sums up the game pretty well, it's very much a tower defense game like Fortnite PvE with lots of crafting. The first few hours are a slog if you don't like survival games, but you can do more stuff later on. They should shorten that early game grind (also add a battle Royale mode IMO)
    https://youtu.be/gOb020icOzk

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Battle Royale mode would suck with these controls, it would need to switch back to Phantom Pain style.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    The pivot to exploit off of PubG's success was what turned me off of Fortnite in the first place. I would rather not every-fucking-game on the market bandwagon on this.

But I guess I'm shouting into the void, here, because it's the same thing that happened with mobas, same thing that's happening with 'open world', and next will be pubg.

• Options
    If you think about it, as a series Metal Gear is almost more suited for Battle Royale than zombie coop; Escape from New York was all about parachuting down into a ruined city with enemies all around you and a timer ticking down to death unless you reach your objective. But yeah, BR is also totally a fad. I guess I just want to see Survive make a massive turnaround ala Fortnite

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    agoaj wrote: »
    Found this video that rebuts some of the more misleading parts of the leading youtube reviewers.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7FngrrIo_c

I've been itching to get time to get back into this. That said, I don't hold it against anyone who doesn't like this type of gameplay or doesn't want to support Konami's business practices.

If you found those unfair, try this (imo) very well written review instead. https://kotaku.com/metal-gear-survive-the-kotaku-review-1823584276

Edit: Now that I'm not at work and I've seen it, this video rebuts nothing. Essentially his argument is that the horrible, boring, tedious game design is mitigated in the late game when you're loaded up with resources and tech. But why play the shitty game until then? Good games are actually fun right from the start. He also tries to rebut Joe saying you don't get out of the dimension in the game by mentioning an alternate ending. He... clearly meant the gameplay doesn't extend beyond the shitty dimension, who gives a shit about alt endings?

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    I want to strangle whoever came up with the base digging timer.

Like, you want some real fucking annoying pushing of SV coins? It's that shit.

For those that don't know: your Co-Op and Single Player progress is tied together in the post-game. You can earn "legendary" quality purple gear in Co-Op, but you'll be unable to upgrade said purple gear without "<blank> Enhancement Kit" drops from the single player base digging event. Legendary (and probably epic) weapons and armor require these kits. So without them, your power progression starts to plateau rather quickly. So to boost your Co-Op game, you're gonna need to advance in the single player base defense progression, which can also reward you recipes for more, weirder traps.

What's the problem? The base defense's timer is 24 hours. Per wave. Non-fucking-negotiable. So far each 'step' has required two waves - your initial spawn when you first activate the digger, and another one a day later - but I can imagine that it'll require more waves later on. And if you can't be there when the timer hits? Your base is probably going to get sodomized. I've spent a week trying to advance in this fucking thing, but as someone that has to at least pretend to be an adult, maintaining an exact schedule to sit down isn't easy, and I'm getting annoyed having to constantly rebuild my base's defenses because I could only get to my PS4 five minutes after the fucking timer.

Now, how do SV coins play into all this? Simple: you can pay SV coins to ignore the timer and start the next wave immediately.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFffffffffffffffFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK you

• Options
    Have you tried offline time adjustments? Actually nevermind this game requires online... probably to prevent that.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    For anyone struggling with having enough ammo, if you craft guns you actually get bullets, which means you can have near infinite ammo as guns require common materials you can get from Teleporter jumping farming (going to each Teleporter and gathering mats)
    https://youtu.be/cjpAeEk3YtA

EDIT: also regarding base camp digs, on Reddit they're saying you can assign base defense crew and it tells you what direction mobs will come in second wave so you could move defensive units in that sector, to the point where the AI can handle the 2nd wave for you

Zavian on
  • Options
    Aight I'm giving up on Rescue missions. Third match in a row where people are futilely trying to kill the boss for 15 minutes, then refuse to actually defend the guy when shit hits the fan.

People are fucking stupid.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I haven't played Survive, but "Pubs are Scrubs" is a universal gaming law.

I've been playing a bunch of MGSV lately, and I wish there was a way I could just sit down with D-Dog and tell him something like "Hey there little buddy, I know our bond level is in the shitter right now, but I'm gonna need you to stop running directly into grenades or places where C4 has been placed, aright?".

Also holy shit where is all the fuel? I thought this was the middle east. I'm trying to play Pimp My Base and apparently each new platform is built entirely out of compressed fuelmetal.