Options

[Metal Gear Solid] Konami remembers it used to make games

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Amazon's got Metal Gear Survive for $14 if your'e curious.

Also: holy shit this game must be the sales bomb to end all sales bombs.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Probably not. There's just not enough outrage to sustain clickthrough, so it fell off the blogosphere. At the moment the popular thing to bash is "Sea of Thieves."

The game itself seems to be doing fine, especially given this saturated environment, and they had actually had MG3 inspired event last week or so.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Probably not. There's just not enough outrage to sustain clickthrough, so it fell off the blogosphere. At the moment the popular thing to bash is "Sea of Thieves."

The game itself seems to be doing fine, especially given this saturated environment, and they had actually had MG3 inspired event last week or so.

Games that do fine typically don't lose 65 percent of their sales value in two months.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I started playing MGSV a while back and really wished it would have had co-op. Two mother base soldiers running around doing side ops would have been a blast.

I would be able to set aside my hesitations over Survive if it had an actual co-op mode, but just slapping in a horde mode and calling it good doesn't really do it for me.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Peace Walker had a coop mode, but in Phantom Pain, reflex mode is pretty OP. It would have been cool though.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    MGS V The Phantom Pain is a Game with Gold on XBL next month.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Peace Walker had a coop mode, but in Phantom Pain, reflex mode is pretty OP. It would have been cool though.

I'd totally give up reflex mode in exchange for co-op in MGSV.

I was talking to my coworker about it at work today and we figured it would have had to be balanced with lower amounts of equipped items (so that both players couldn't load up on sleep grenades and cheese their way through an area, for example), and it would have to be limited to side ops being played with Mother Base staff, but it would still be pretty great. Just two Mother Base bros/broetts out there in the field, shootin', sneakin', and operatin'. Alas, what could have been...

• Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    My friend and I both wanted a mode where one of us could play as D-Dog or Quiet on the other person's missions. That would have been stupid, hilarious fun.

• Options
    Metal Gear Solid movie is continuing its production with a completed script, and the first concept art is being released to the public. As a reminder, Jordan Vogt Roberts is the same guy who did Kong.

DiJpa40VQAAZdfC.jpg:large
    DiEVTm2U8AA6w0M.jpg:large

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    That is too faithful to the game, I call shenanigans!

• Options
    One thing that was really encouraging is that Jordan has said he really wants to keep the horror/surrealist visual and story elements along with the hardcore military stuff.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »

That second image looks like Fox is fighting one of those mooing gears from MGS4, though.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Satsumomo wrote: »

That second image looks like Fox is fighting one of those mooing gears from MGS4, though.

DiPBIzcVQAAFO-b.jpg:large
    Dennis Chan was one of my art assassins on KONG.

MGS is about the “cycle of pain” so we created a diptych to visually represent history repeating.

Can’t wait for you to see my approach to the dense past & present timeline of this world.

Zoom in. Enjoy

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I dunno, from those images my gut reaction is that this is going to be a frankenstein jigsaw type of thing. Grey Fox fighting geckos, Snake on Shadow Moses fighting the Skull units from V. Just stuff carved off from the games and glued onto a frame. Kind of like those Resident Evil movies. I'm sure the individual pieces will be pretty loyal to the games they came off of. But as a whole? Eh, I dunno. I'd need to see more, but I'm not exactly overflowing with confidence either.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    I dunno, from those images my gut reaction is that this is going to be a frankenstein jigsaw type of thing. Grey Fox fighting geckos, Snake on Shadow Moses fighting the Skull units from V. Just stuff carved off from the games and glued onto a frame. Kind of like those Resident Evil movies. I'm sure the individual pieces will be pretty loyal to the games they came off of. But as a whole? Eh, I dunno. I'd need to see more, but I'm not exactly overflowing with confidence either.

I don't think those are supposed to be Skull units. Mantis is back there in front of Rex, so it's probably just him controlling them.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Even if it doesn't fit narratively, those poses and eye glows are 100% MGSV Skulls, not Mantis related. I wouldn't read much into it, but then there's also Gray Fox fighting Gekko. Really makes me think they're just throwing it all in a blender.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So I started playing MGSV after playing ground zero and watching a video explaining what's going on.

What the fuck is going ooooonnnnnn ooooommmmmmgggggggg

A FUCKING WHALE!!!!!!!!

• Options

(That's an uptempo version of Snake Eater for the new Smash Bros., done by the original composer. Pretty neat.)

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    So I started playing MGSV after playing ground zero and watching a video explaining what's going on.

What the fuck is going ooooonnnnnn ooooommmmmmgggggggg

A FUCKING WHALE!!!!!!!!

https://youtu.be/qTM_ln0lyyA

i wouldn't put too much stock into whatever art they're showing off at this point as the movie hasn't actually started production, these are pieces meant to drum up hype for the project rather than reflect what's actually gonna be in it

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Yeah he's posting 31 pieces of concept art he asked various artists to do for the 31 years of Metal Gear.

I dont think any of it is "this is what will happen", its much more he described a mood and what he's going for to artists and they made stuff.

Although he did say in one that he always wanted to see Kojima and the artist (whos name I can not spell and dont want to butcher it but respect him immensely)'s greatest creations - the cyber ninja and the gekkos - on the screen together and to stay tuned.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    The nerve gas fight in Kong was heavily inspired by Metal Gear Solid. That scene is all about the tension of fighting something impossible, while still responding with military precision. And while Metal Gear is Tactical Espionage Action, horror is a huge undercurrent of the setting. So yeah, the art isn't literal, but he understands the material as well as anyone, and has said he isn't planning on doing a 1:1 remake of the games which is the right call. He said he's taking Kojima's advice of "betray the audience's expectations" to heart.

• Options
    He said he's taking Kojima's advice of "betray the audience's expectations" to heart.

The ol' MGS2 approach.

So I will end up disliking the movie part way through, and then come around on it a few months later like "yeah, actually the whole movie was pretty neat" :P

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    They'll need to screw with the audience like Gremlins 2.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    IMO, the movie will not be a legit MGS experience if they do not market the hell out of an A-List actor having the starring role only to be replaced by a C-List actor in the narrative 15 minutes into the running time.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    There's a 90s Steven Seagal film that does this and it's a brilliant swerve that I whole heartedly endorse.
    Ok, so Kurt Russell isn't C list but hyping up the main guy for 20 minutes before throwing him out the plane was a bold move for Executive Decision.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    That movie, parts of Winter Soldier and The Peacemaker with George Clooney are the closest thing to a Metal Gear movie yet.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    So, there's a patch today that allows you to play as Quiet in MGSV. It's only for FOB missions, though =/

I think you have access to some of her abilities as well, but not her whole suite of parasitic super powers.

Edit: Looks like you get her super speed, and cloaking abilities. She also has incredibly steady aim with sniper rifles. There is no option to change out of her combat undies, if that's something that bothers you.

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    My favorite on his tweets so far. I get kinda emotional these days seeing MGS3 anything at all

RE: informing the design of the production of the film, I'm pretty sure he opens with a disclaimer voiced/animated with Colonel Campbell (Paul Eiding himself) that says that the art should purely be taken as fanart celebrating the 31st anniversary of Metal Gear and not as explicit pre-visualisation and design choice for his upcoming film

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    That is one gosh dang beautiful piece of art!

• Options
    And further proof that I will never run out of Metal Gear secrets to discover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HtyOR7jmFs

• Options
    If they're unused, it's not really hidden, right?

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    It may not be exactly canon, but it's still a ton of voicework I had never heard before now. Some of it is pretty funny too like Emma's weight conversation.

• Options
    Looking back, I think what I said came across too harshly. I meant that in a chummy, "You're not really missing out if it wasn't there in the first place," way, but I can see that it reads like pedantic goosery on my part. Sorry.

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    So, there's a patch today that allows you to play as Quiet in MGSV. It's only for FOB missions, though =/

I think you have access to some of her abilities as well, but not her whole suite of parasitic super powers.

Edit: Looks like you get her super speed, and cloaking abilities. She also has incredibly steady aim with sniper rifles. There is no option to change out of her combat undies, if that's something that bothers you.

And this week in Unexpected Patches to Metal Gear games, the new MG Survive event has Gekkos as enemies and a pilotable Metal Gear Rex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MMGv980nmw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be1LQF40EWM

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
  • Options
    Fans are truly monsters at times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghoGEuNNC5s

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    Apparently, today is the 20th anniversary of Metal Gear Solid 1.

Feel old yet?

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Back in the day I got so into MGS that I built a Soliton Radar out of Lego bricks to model the living room, and would move the lil blocks around to simulate people moving. Also may have made a Lego SOCOM. I don't think it would have held up to modern build standard scrutiny...

Oh brilliant