Options

[Metal Gear Solid] Konami remembers it used to make games

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    Okay so I got Metal Gear Survive in from Gamefly and I have to say: I fucking love it. It's basically a resource gathering, base building, crafting game. I get that people wanted a new MGS but there's no way this game is a 1/10 rating that everyone seems to give it.

But I guess I'm the target audience for this lol. I'm having way more fun with this than Dragon Quest XI.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    You're a broken husk of a human being

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options

I know. :(

I just wanted people to know that the game IS fun if you're into resource gathering/base building games. Worth a rent in the very least.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

I just wanted people to know that the game IS fun if you're into resource gathering/base building games. Worth a rent in the very least.

I tried it out during the beta. I remember that it had odd performance issues on Xbox (and XB1X) that, oddly, were not present in actual MSGV.

I wonder if that's been addressed.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

I tried it out during the beta. I remember that it had odd performance issues on Xbox (and XB1X) that, oddly, were not present in actual MSGV.

The game still continues to get patches. One came out just yesterday, in fact. I'm on the PS4 Pro and I haven't run into a single performance issue. Unfortunately I haven't been able to try the online out because I don't have PS+.

• Options

The game still continues to get patches. One came out just yesterday, in fact. I'm on the PS4 Pro and I haven't run into a single performance issue. Unfortunately I haven't been able to try the online out because I don't have PS+.

....is there even a game to play without multiplayer?

• Options

....is there even a game to play without multiplayer?

Sure. I go out, collect resources, come back and build up my base and put skill points into my player. I also rescue other survivors and put them to work as slaves volunteers. I also avoid the fuck out of the Lord of Dust.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    The tragedy is that the fox engine was incredible for open World gameplay. I don't hate survive just for existing, but I really would have liked to have seen other games with the engine especially Silent Hill.

• Options
    The tragedy is that the fox engine was incredible for open World gameplay. I don't hate survive just for existing, but I really would have liked to have seen other games with the engine especially Silent Hill.

I haven't played MGS4 or 5 yet. Is Survive essentially 5 with a smaller scope, zombies, and no story?

• Options

I could lack imagination, but I think "Open World Gameplay" is...one of the last things I'd want in a current generation Silent Hill title.

It's not like the engine doesn't do building interiors capably enough, but open world? I mean, I guess while you're going around the town that'd be a nice touch...

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

I could lack imagination, but I think "Open World Gameplay" is...one of the last things I'd want in a current generation Silent Hill title.

It's not like the engine doesn't do building interiors capably enough, but open world? I mean, I guess while you're going around the town that'd be a nice touch...

Deadly Premonition has me solidly convinced that Alan Wake would've been absolutely incredible if they had gone through with the open-world concept, and I'm still waiting for somebody to do a great slow-burn story-focused horror game with a whole explorable town.

Dead Premonition had the right formula for it, it's just janky as hell. Nighttime is deadly dangerous for reasons that aren't explained for a long while, and the story unfolds with scheduled meetings that wait as long as the player wants if they want to poke around the town. Having daytime be (nearly) completely normal emphasizes the creepy side of things even more, instead of just a constant barrage of horror stuff. With a Silent Hill angle, you could have something like being able to wander the town and everything seems pretty fine, except for places that are eerily abandoned or spookified and the citizens just try to pretend none of it is there or anything is wrong.

Something like that would definitely stand out if you had a whole town of characters filling a whole town of buildings you can actually enter, which the Fox engine could certainly have handled.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options

I haven't played MGS4 or 5 yet. Is Survive essentially 5 with a smaller scope, zombies, and no story?

From what I can gather yes. To compare, MGS4 is a really unique fusion of the best of the old and the start of the new games. MGS5 is that but open world and is an action spy simulator.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm actually kind of glad there hasn't been a PS4 re-release of the series, because I know I'd buy them all. Again.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    In 5 how do you read the resources list? What is the meaning of the number with the world icon by it? That and the one above is your actual total, but can't work out why 2 numbers.

Example screen:
    IyJIpdp.jpg

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The world icon is the online FOB thingy. Offline you have 829 fuel. Logged in you have an additional 5517 for a total of 6346.

That applies to your GMP in the lower right corner too. Offline, you are in the red by -236390, but online you have an additional 1458030. Basically means if you ever play offline you'll suddenly be broke.

Yeah, it's pretty bloody confusing for a system that otherwise doesn't matter one stinkin' bit.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Well that's not good. No idea where the money is going, but it's more fun to do missions than manage resources. Just build stuff, people!

Thanks for the info.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    The online stuff you don't "need" to touch, just playing the game normally will get you most of what you need. If you want to grind for "top tier" weapons, you need to play online, but those weapons are essentially cheating for any single player content. As in, Rank restrictions if you try to use a super ultra grade weapon or armor.

The only thing I disabled via modding was the build timer.

• Options
    That's starting to annoy me now that's it's in hours, I may do the same.

My GMP is back in the black, probably from side missions to up bond level, so that's something. I may look into the online bit, not worried about nuking the entire map in 1 hit if it turns out that way, but no need for it either atm.

• Options
    Mod Nexus has a very good selection of stuff, and Infinite Heaven means once you finish the story you'll have near infinite replayability. You can have open world Skull battles, armored vehicles added to Russian patrols, the works.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    That's starting to annoy me now that's it's in hours, I may do the same.

My GMP is back in the black, probably from side missions to up bond level, so that's something. I may look into the online bit, not worried about nuking the entire map in 1 hit if it turns out that way, but no need for it either atm.

The level of equipment that actually restricts your rank takes quite a bit of work to get. Like, by the time you have any of that stuff from online content you'll probably have S-ranked every mission tens of hours ago anyway, so who cares? And if you do, you can just use the lower level equipment. There's also plenty of cool online-exclusive equipment that's much more readily available and doesn't restrict anything at all.

Going online is always the right decision, in my opinion, given how dramatically it improves the rate at which you can send your teams on missions, passively gather resources, actively gather resources, unlock new research, and improve every aspect of your base. The downsides are pretty negligible, considering that the people stealing your shit will only ever be stealing online shit that you wouldn't have anyway if you weren't online.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Yeah, playing online just inflates your resources to such a degree that the whole "resource management" aspect of the game is rendered moot, and you can buy whatever you want. It kind of feels like cheating, but you're still limited by needed the appropriate staff, so... it's not cheating all that much.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I've been online this whole time I think, I haven't ever had resource shortages, just need the staff leveled up enough for everything so far. The online part of the game is a bit murky to me still, though. I just get rewards once in awhile and resources for some reason.

Is there any point to collecting a ton of machine guns, mortars and AA guns if I just do the missions/side missions? How many are enough if there is?

• Options
    The defense guns are to my knowledge just for extra GMP and for making your base a bit easier to defend. Your base resources are included for the online Secret Ending.

And I always loved that extra irony of the player creating the very military industrial complex you end up effortlessly destroying as Solid Snake in the original games.

• Options
    Okay after 60 or so hours of solo play of Metal Gear Survive I think I'm done. Right now, since I can't go online, it's essentially: run to these containers, kill bad guys, grab loot and hope loot is good.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Okay, so basically everytime I open my iDroid, it starts some sort of combat deployment tutorial, that I can't exit out of. So I click through like a dozen times till it tells me I can't actually do this tutorial, and then closes.

Every.fucking.time.I.change.zones.

Is there anyway to disable this thing.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    What system are you on?

• Options
    I'd verify files if it's PC. Something is broken.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    PC, steam specifically. And verifying files did nothing. Still keeps on running me through the Combat Deployment tutorial.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I had something similar on Xbox. I sent the maximum number of teams out on missions before it specifically told me I had to, so when the plot-mandated "Time to send a team out" bit came, I didn't have any available teams to send, so the deployment tutorial kept appearing every time something new happened.

Just waiting for an away team to return (in real time, natch) ended up solving that for me.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Bursar wrote: »
    I had something similar on Xbox. I sent the maximum number of teams out on missions before it specifically told me I had to, so when the plot-mandated "Time to send a team out" bit came, I didn't have any available teams to send, so the deployment tutorial kept appearing every time something new happened.

Just waiting for an away team to return (in real time, natch) ended up solving that for me.

That was it. Because I kept on playing offline, those things never completed. Went online, and now it seems to be gone.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    Good design there, Konami! Speaking of:

Mission 16
    sucked ass, if you're supposed to kill the Skulls they're like bullet/machete sponges and if you're not they of course chase you. The checkpoint system means having to wait for them over and over and over as a bonus. Even if I eventually found a random spot with a checkpoint trigger to cut it down some. But I must have been under geared still so.

The super chicken hat was very handy 7th try.

I also have no idea how the sending guys on missions is supposed to work, never have enough to send out it seems.

• Options
    Skulls are really fun to fight once you get the rhythm down.
    Skulls have very specific armor types and damage tolerances. Rapid fire weapons like machine guns and explosives are best for cracking their armor. High caliber piercing weapons are best for health I've found.

You're a super spy, they're super soldiers. Don't fight toe-to-toe unless you have Battle Dress BDUs unlocked. Use CQC to immobilize lone ones as they dash in, then unload. Even if they are doing group attacks, you can still do damage with grenades from beyond their line of sight.

Also, you have tanks you can hijack in the yellow cake mission. Use them!

Metal Gear can make you lazy if you don't "practice" shootouts if you're always a fan of using stealth.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Okay so I got Metal Gear Survive in from Gamefly and I have to say: I fucking love it. It's basically a resource gathering, base building, crafting game. I get that people wanted a new MGS but there's no way this game is a 1/10 rating that everyone seems to give it.

But I guess I'm the target audience for this lol. I'm having way more fun with this than Dragon Quest XI.

*slow high five*

Survive isn't a terrible game. It's fine for what it is.

I actually kind of liked it. The first time I saw the
    Dust Lord

in the mist I was for realz spooked, because at that point you can see just enough of it to go what the fuck am I looking at. Masahiro Ito's definitely still got the chops.

Honestly, even though the game's plot veers into goofy territory, it doesn't feel too dissimilar tonally from Metal Gear. And, if I may be kind, I think there's a fair bit of symbolism in the ending where
    you use the most ancient bipedal Metal Gear to finally stop a bloated, lumbering creature (the franchise) from going back in time and repeating the same cycles over and over again (recycles and reboots).

Given how there seemed to have been snuck in 'fuck yous' to Konami execs, it wouldn't surprise me if that symbolism was intentional.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Skulls are really fun to fight once you get the rhythm down.
    Skulls have very specific armor types and damage tolerances. Rapid fire weapons like machine guns and explosives are best for cracking their armor. High caliber piercing weapons are best for health I've found.

You're a super spy, they're super soldiers. Don't fight toe-to-toe unless you have Battle Dress BDUs unlocked. Use CQC to immobilize lone ones as they dash in, then unload. Even if they are doing group attacks, you can still do damage with grenades from beyond their line of sight.

Also, you have tanks you can hijack in the yellow cake mission. Use them!

Metal Gear can make you lazy if you don't "practice" shootouts if you're always a fan of using stealth.

I tried the tank I had and it didn't seem to do shit! I got one down to like 25% life on foot through CQC and assault rifle, then he did like a shield or something. Then I just said fuck this.

I normally just snipe everything (or have Quiet do it) so this was not a welcome curve ball. I'll just have to work out how to handle them if it happens again.

• Options
    Dac wrote: »

*slow high five*

Survive isn't a terrible game. It's fine for what it is.

I actually kind of liked it. The first time I saw the
    Dust Lord

in the mist I was for realz spooked, because at that point you can see just enough of it to go what the fuck am I looking at. Masahiro Ito's definitely still got the chops.

Honestly, even though the game's plot veers into goofy territory, it doesn't feel too dissimilar tonally from Metal Gear. And, if I may be kind, I think there's a fair bit of symbolism in the ending where
    you use the most ancient bipedal Metal Gear to finally stop a bloated, lumbering creature (the franchise) from going back in time and repeating the same cycles over and over again (recycles and reboots).

Given how there seemed to have been snuck in 'fuck yous' to Konami execs, it wouldn't surprise me if that symbolism was intentional.

That last fight is really fun and the tower defense sections are really good to me.

• Options
    My tank was apparently blown up by something since the map lied about the LZ being safe and now it's gone? More joys of checkpoints? Or it just needs time to reassemble itself? Or I need to find one to steal?

• Options
    edited October 2018
    If it's the yellow cake mission:

The two armored escorts for the truck, assuming you don't bee-line right for the airport, will still be armed and operational once you stop the truck and the Skulls arrive. The tanks have more than one weapon I believe, the cannon and the machine gun. You never get a vehicle tutorial, so I would play around with them some more. They really help in some missions.

If its Metallic Archea or another of the combat missions, all of the bases have heavy weapons, AA-guns, flak cannons etc that will allow you to quickly kill them so long as you don't let them close the gap.

Other than that, just get used to gun jumping. I never stand in one place firing my clip. This is what a good Skulls fight should look like:

Also, if its your first time through the game. Do you have the Battle Dress or at least the Sneaking Suit? Fighting Skulls in the normal uniform is not recommended. You need some kind of damage mitigation.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    This was just a side mission it blew up on, got the tank from a reward I think. Used it to blow up the 2 escort tanks in mission 16. But then used the chicken hat to avoid having to fight Skulls.

I have the Sneaking Suit, can make the Battle Dress. Will do so if forced to fight Skulls again.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Good design there, Konami! Speaking of:

Mission 16
    sucked ass, if you're supposed to kill the Skulls they're like bullet/machete sponges and if you're not they of course chase you. The checkpoint system means having to wait for them over and over and over as a bonus. Even if I eventually found a random spot with a checkpoint trigger to cut it down some. But I must have been under geared still so.

The super chicken hat was very handy 7th try.

I also have no idea how the sending guys on missions is supposed to work, never have enough to send out it seems.

Hah, I just got to that mission and now I hate it for a different reason.

It was raining, and I guess that 90% extraction wasn't enough because the mission failed like 30 seconds afterwards because the truck exploded.

Move to New Zealand