As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LGBT] a transformative experience thread -NEW THREAD POSTED-

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    You want those pince nez jobs Lawrence Fishbourne had in the matrix, those look good on most people

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    there's a good chance they won't stay on your nose though, not everyone has a nose shape that gives them good purchase

they actually had to use spirit gum to get them to stay on fishburne's face

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I was just being silly, pince nez glasses seem slightly more practical than a monocle

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Yeah but if you graft them to your face you can technically call yourself a cyborg

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Round frame dump incoming!
    Mott
    9330_PURPLE.jpg

9329_GRAY.jpg
    Dc113
    3113_BURG.jpg
    Oxygen
    4204_BLACKGREEN.jpg

• Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    I switched from aviators in college to semi-rimless frames like these and I like them quite a bit.
    d35udj9g655v.jpg
    They weigh a whole lot less, too.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I like 4 and 2, they're not too round if being too feminine at work is a concern. Red glasses I find to be a little much, but that's just me.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Brown/black will go with more outfits.

Personally I have always preferred lenses like those, that are squarish but not super huge.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I'm kinda digging the black and green ones myseld

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I like the first ones!

• Options
    Also jeez I derailed he crap out of this thread. Sorry!

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    You're an LGBT person asking for appearance advice in the LGBT thread. That is not a derail.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I'm kinda digging the black and green ones myseld

Yeah those are probably my favorite of the lot.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Cromarty wrote: »
    I switched from aviators in college to semi-rimless frames like these and I like them quite a bit.
    d35udj9g655v.jpg
    They weigh a whole lot less, too.

Yeah I wear those too, but a bit more rectangular and with a more uneven aspect ratio. They definitely look less fun or youthful than other glasses styles, and are worn by a lot of scientist types.

Of the ones TRV just posted, they all seem good except the red ones, which are a bit much.
    Really the most important things for glasses are whether you feel like you look like yourself when wearing them; when I recently got new glasses, I was surprised how wearing even a slightly different shape of glasses from my previous pair made me basically not recognize my face as my own.

Glasses definitely do enhance or subtly change your gender presentation--so just keep that in mind when trying stuff on.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Ok well thanks :)

I need to like narrow down to one from each group I think and go from there.

t5HK7Xal.png
    9329_GRAY.jpg
    4204_BLACKGREEN.jpg

I feel like the second and third would be bigger departures from my normal? Which is kinda what I'm looking for at this point. I also like color. So the black and green I think may be the way to go?

Hrm. Need to check their return policy

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Go for the bottom frames, I got plastic frames for the first time and I think I look way better in them than any pair of glasses I have ever worn

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Honestly though I think the best way to buy glasses is to try wearing them in a store, and y'know, looking in a mirror and just seeing if there's anything about a frame that bugs you. I managed to get two pairs for the price of one (with lenses included!) last time I went, which was great because about three months ago I accidentally sat on my glasses.

• Options
    S
    Gundi wrote: »
    Honestly though I think the best way to buy glasses is to try wearing them in a store, and y'know, looking in a mirror and just seeing if there's anything about a frame that bugs you. I managed to get two pairs for the price of one (with lenses included!) last time I went, which was great because about three months ago I accidentally sat on my glasses.

I agree! But the thought of catching shit from some crappy salesperson for looking at the women's glasses makes my blood run cold. I don't do confrontation well, as I learned yesterday haha

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I love the color of the blue and the green frames. The green is the best compromise between versatility and color.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    S
    Gundi wrote: »

I agree! But the thought of catching shit from some crappy salesperson for looking at the women's glasses makes my blood run cold. I don't do confrontation well, as I learned yesterday haha

Glasses are generally unisex though, I think? If you look at, for example, Warby Parker, you can shop men's or women's but they're 90% the same frames--same dimensions, same colors! And if you walk into a glasses store, they are not generally separated into men's and women's frames or labeled as such--not anywhere I've been, anyway.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    AllyxiaAllyxia Registered User regular
    Yeah, the places I've been to were just "Pick and try whatever off the wall."

Otherwise the sales lady just adjusted the frames to fit my face.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Most glasses stores in Pennsylvania, USA are divided into women's, men's, boys' and girls' sections

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Most glasses stores in Pennsylvania, USA are divided into women's, men's, boys' and girls' sections

I always go to the women's section because the frames are so much cooler and inevitably some employee will come rushing over in a panic to tell me I'm a male in the womens' section

thank you thank you for that notification do these pink rhinestone frames look as cool as i think they do on me

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I sometimes miss looking over different glasses styles, but then I remind myself that when I had them my nose constantly hurt, my ears constantly hurt, and steam/vapor/major temperature difference was my mortal enemy.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I always go to the women's section because the frames are so much cooler and inevitably some employee will come rushing over in a panic to tell me I'm a male in the womens' section

thank you thank you for that notification do these pink rhinestone frames look as cool as i think they do on me

Well at least they tried to preserve your presumed fragile masculinity! How kind of them to cater to the delicate sex like that. :tell_me_more:

• Options
    SpuzSpuz Registered User regular
    I know a few of the online glasses sites have a virtual try on feature where you can upload a photo and see what they look like on your face. Not quite as accurate as trying them on in person, but it's better than nothing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    You really gotta be there to figure out the mouth feel for your glasses you know?

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    don't put the tester glasses in your mouth trv don't do that

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options

Sucked it like a crawfish head

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I used to have these kind of gel-like frames that I would sometimes nibble on the tips. No real reason why other than they were somehow near my mouth. My pens used to suffer a similar fate.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I am currently rocking thhheeesee bad boys. Not me, but online models. I would especially say to try them on in store, because IMO the most important thing is that they sit below your eyebrows. if they match up perfectly with them, you lose your facial expression. And like, you need that!! Don't be afraid to go big. However I go for a v genderqueer style so ymmv take my advice with grain o salt

these are ace & tate.. does it exist elsewhere? It isn't gender separated at all, which is nice for meee. And they give me a good range of vision but I like that they fade out to clear on the bottom so they sort of disappear on my face after bringing attention to my peepers
    2BMxKwg.png
    0OifUrn.png?1

Kochikens on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

200_s.gif

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

200_s.gif

nasty as in sexy then yes

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »

200_s.gif

Please rate it from 1 to Ms. Jackson.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »

200_s.gif

I'm torn between making a Janet Jackson joke, an Outkast joke and a Panic! At the Disco joke

and so I will make none.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Are you for reeeeeal

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »

200_s.gif

Y2uwN.png

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    You missed your shot, Mal

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Apropros of nothing I managed to super impress an old guy at the hospital where I work because he set up a "16 Tons" song joke and I nailed it!

I knew my interest in really, really old music would pay off some day!

• Options
    Oh thank god that joke landed. It was a total shot in the dark!

This discussion has been closed.