As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[JEEEEA0RRRRGHHB] Thread

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Oh, man. If the kid from Every Day by David Levithan survives to adulthood, they are screwed.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I get the feeling if I was freaky fridayed into Koro's body and was expected to go to work, I would definitely die gruesomely before lunch.

I got a minor concussion Friday from a poorly-maintained roll-up door sliding down juuuuust far enough for me to clonk my head on as I passed under it!

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Had a card member today who is two payments behind with a $105 minimum that recently retired early from the military and is unemployed. Refused to talk to me which I get but he keeps refusing to discuss options with previous agents so I just went into it and told him if he doesn't want to listen he can hang up and started going into reducing his payments to $39 a month for 3 months but he hung up before hearing that part.

I get being unemployed is stressful and awful but for real, 1 minute of his time and he could have known about that option.

Even if he would not have taken it I would have been fine with that as long as we could have discussed it.

I might get in a little trouble for this call since I wasn't all smiles and ass kissing but whatever.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    chromdom wrote: »
    Well that was a hell of a shift. We had both the orchestra kids and a softball team in.

I really need to nail this writing test tomorrow and get the hell out of the service industry.

Good luck dude!

Well, it seems I nailed the writing test. Interview scheduled for Thursday.

Yo, you're the fuckin' man and you're gonna crush it.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Had a card member today who is two payments behind with a $105 minimum that recently retired early from the military and is unemployed. Refused to talk to me which I get but he keeps refusing to discuss options with previous agents so I just went into it and told him if he doesn't want to listen he can hang up and started going into reducing his payments to $39 a month for 3 months but he hung up before hearing that part.

I get being unemployed is stressful and awful but for real, 1 minute of his time and he could have known about that option.

Even if he would not have taken it I would have been fine with that as long as we could have discussed it.

I might get in a little trouble for this call since I wasn't all smiles and ass kissing but whatever.

So wait... this person called support, and then refused to talk to support? What was their goal?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Short-term contract job has up
    godmode wrote: »
    Well that was a hell of a shift. We had both the orchestra kids and a softball team in.

I really need to nail this writing test tomorrow and get the hell out of the service industry.

Good luck dude!

Yo, you're the fuckin' man and you're gonna crush it.

And if you don't, you can always crush them

• Options

So wait... this person called support, and then refused to talk to support? What was their goal?

No, I called out. Forgot to say I do outbound collections for the credit card company I work at. I main call accounts with two payments missed in a row and try to help get something going to bring them current.

This particular card member keeps answering our calls and then refuses to look into options.

Though people calling in for help and then suddenly deciding they don't need help is not uncommon and was probably one of the most frustrating parts of working in the inbound collection dept.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    One of the volunteers who left a few days ago just sent me a video she took from her window seat of her plane, of the prop engine next to her failing mid flight.

There is not enough poop in the world for how I would have reacted to that situation.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Glad the plane made it down ok?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    So the good news, dual(+more) prop planes like that tend to have single engine cruise abilities. And usually have plenty of time to find an airport to land at.

E: and yeah I hope everything is well.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Hey job thread.

I'm currently taking stock of my current employment situation. It's kind of weird, I like the management of the company that I work for, but the holding company that owns them leaves a ton to be desired. Had the bullshit announcement earlier this year that the holding company made the call that all North American operations are not to do merit based raises regardless of how well someone did because North America didn't do well.

Also I was looking at staying a minimum of three years with this company when I started. Right now as I see it, the only way I'm staying is if I get a sizable raise or a promotion that comes with such a raise. I feel like either is unlikely at this point. Currently, I'm an officer in the company's toastmasters club, so I want to finish up my term there before I leave the company. One I don't want to be a dick, sure the club could do fine without me, but still seems like a dick move to get elected to a leadership position, while intentionally looking for an exit before that term is done. I also see sticking out the term as letting me set my resume to be look even better when I do leave. Ironically, I think I've had the most personal growth throw the club and feel I have grown very little with the actual job. I just need to figure out how to market the skills I've picked up for something that I'd be willing to do.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

Yes everything was fine. Apparently they are designed to be able to fly with only one engine? Which is something I only just learned and that knowledge may result in 10% less poop if I'm ever in that scenario.

• Options

Yes everything was fine. Apparently they are designed to be able to fly with only one engine? Which is something I only just learned and that knowledge may result in 10% less poop if I'm ever in that scenario.

This stuff reminds me of the Rooster Teeth animated videos where they talk about all the air travel they do and all the weird/interesting stuff that happens. I would love to post the compilation of their video but they have some pretty foul language in them.

This one is pretty good though
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9f7lKPuTJ4

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    How has Adobe crafted the most arcane, labyrinthine licensing service in the entire world? Are their employees all forced to study Escher and Giger before they onboard?

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

Airplanes are actually designed to take off with only one engine, in case there is a failure in one during takeoff. Aircraft are also certified by how long they can continue to fly and land safely with a failed engine. Based on a quick google search, the lowest rating (shortest amount of time) is 75 minutes.

Karrde1842 on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Wooooof I just discovered a major issue that is gonna cause a ton of paperwork for the front desk

to help inventory, in the past few weeks I have been instructed, since I handle blocking the hotel rooms each day on top of the night shift I've been saddled with, to change any complimentary upgrade rooms' (either for their status with our rewards program or for service recovery) room rate code to match an equivalent of their new room type. I.E. If I am upgrading a lady into a suite, I change her rate code from the standard room code to the suite code, but keep the actual rate we are charging per night the same as it was before.

However

there's a report I run every night that has apparently been changing the rate we are charging to match whatever the new rate code is, so if that lady has a suite rate code, she gets charged the suite rate and not the normal rate. Which has been a part of the checklist for the shift for a long time, before this new policy.

I am the first person to notice this, and we've been doing it for close to a month.

That's....a lot of over-charging and rate adjustments that will need to be done. Each of which requires a handwritten form and copy of their receipt.

....gonna go ahead and wait until my shift is almost over before sending that email, since I didn't do anything wrong and am the only one who is gonna be here until 7 AM.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I think a one engine plane operates by basically cranking that one engine all the way up and altering all of the flaps etc. in a way that still provides enough..tourque? across the airframe to still act as an airfoil and generate lift.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

This stuff reminds me of the Rooster Teeth animated videos where they talk about all the air travel they do and all the weird/interesting stuff that happens. I would love to post the compilation of their video but they have some pretty foul language in them.

This one is pretty good though
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9f7lKPuTJ4

This is my greatest fear while flying

https://youtu.be/BvHobd0SVv4

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    In the video you can hear the pilot talking about how the passengers will see some fire engines waiting on the runway as they come to land but don't worry about it, it's fine, and to just chill. He sounds very calm and reassuring. I still don't think I would be chill.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Too damn hot, cannot move. Wanna shop, hit arcade, maybe.....visit Kittens.

But its so damn hot!
    Madican wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    Anyone in the Puget Sound area willing to endure long nights of driving around and patrolling sites at a decent pay rate and plenty of over time, PM me.

We are short staffed.

Service guarantees citizenship

I'd like to know more!

Can I work remote?

Nope. Hours of sitting in a car, running around, burning gas, marveling at the questionable intelligence of the people you serve.

But most of the time, its just rushing around.

Till shit hits the fan.

No, uhh... I live in Australia.

How are you at piloting drones.

I quite enjoy videogames where I pilot fighter jets?

Perfect, we'll put you in the fartbox straight away. It's not actually called the fartbox, but it is an enclosed trailer with all the equipment to pilot the drone and well sometimes the pilots get gassy. Which kind of seeps into the cushions and never ever leaves, only growing in strength with each additional nether blast. Can't leave until your shift is done either.

According to Christopher Judge, this is what the Jaffa suits the extras had to wear felt like after years of production.

I like to think the eventual costume changes came because someone decided they all needed to be burned.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Karrde1842 wrote: »

Airplanes are actually designed to take off with only one engine, in case there is a failure in one during takeoff. Aircraft are also certified by how long they can continue to fly and land safely with a failed engine. Based on a quick google search, the lowest rating (shortest amount of time) is 75 minutes.

I think it's technically being able fly missing one engine. Not nearly as relevant now, since 3- and 4-engine planes are rarer, but the 747 cannot fly on just 1 engine.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »

I think it's technically being able fly missing one engine. Not nearly as relevant now, since 3- and 4-engine planes are rarer, but the 747 cannot fly on just 1 engine.

Technically it's not that they can't fly on one engine, it's just that if they are fully loaded it is almost impossible to maintain normal operating altitude with only one engine operational. So you are forced into a slow descent, i.e. dump as much fuel as you can get away with and bee-line for the nearest airport.

Sidenote: all three-engined aircraft must be capable of normal flight with only one engine operational.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I get the feeling if I was freaky fridayed into Koro's body and was expected to go to work, I would definitely die gruesomely before lunch.

I got a minor concussion Friday from a poorly-maintained roll-up door sliding down juuuuust far enough for me to clonk my head on as I passed under it!

Sound like your company needs a new safety video

https://youtu.be/1PnR1ENaaUo

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    So I can't say a lot, but this summer has been really rough.

Luckily, it looks like next week is going to be the start of things falling back into place. I'm both nervous and excited. I'm going to try to make the most out of this.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Hey job thread.

I'm currently taking stock of my current employment situation. It's kind of weird, I like the management of the company that I work for, but the holding company that owns them leaves a ton to be desired. Had the bullshit announcement earlier this year that the holding company made the call that all North American operations are not to do merit based raises regardless of how well someone did because North America didn't do well.

Also I was looking at staying a minimum of three years with this company when I started. Right now as I see it, the only way I'm staying is if I get a sizable raise or a promotion that comes with such a raise. I feel like either is unlikely at this point. Currently, I'm an officer in the company's toastmasters club, so I want to finish up my term there before I leave the company. One I don't want to be a dick, sure the club could do fine without me, but still seems like a dick move to get elected to a leadership position, while intentionally looking for an exit before that term is done. I also see sticking out the term as letting me set my resume to be look even better when I do leave. Ironically, I think I've had the most personal growth throw the club and feel I have grown very little with the actual job. I just need to figure out how to market the skills I've picked up for something that I'd be willing to do.

Sounds like your company doesn't have any loyalty to you, you shouldn't have any to them if you see a good opportunity come by.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Technically it's not that they can't fly on one engine, it's just that if they are fully loaded it is almost impossible to maintain normal operating altitude with only one engine operational. So you are forced into a slow descent, i.e. dump as much fuel as you can get away with and bee-line for the nearest airport.

Sidenote: all three-engined aircraft must be capable of normal flight with only one engine operational.

Yeah it reduces the cruise ceiling. So a 737 might be cruising at 30-40k feet (depending on the variant), but if an engine goes that's suddenly 10k (made up number).

I'd rather an engine fail in a prop plane, they can glide a fair bit.

But yeah once an engine goes you want to find a runway and land immediately in almost all planes. Prop planes can function at the lower cruise altitude but the drag from the other engine most likely means you won't make it to your destination.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Yeah it reduces the cruise ceiling. So a 737 might be cruising at 30-40k feet (depending on the variant), but if an engine goes that's suddenly 10k (made up number).

I'd rather an engine fail in a prop plane, they can glide a fair bit.

But yeah once an engine goes you want to find a runway and land immediately in almost all planes. Prop planes can function at the lower cruise altitude but the drag from the other engine most likely means you won't make it to your destination.

Jet planes can glide too.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Half the power is out in my office.
    My computer still turns on and connects to the network, but we don't have lights.
    Also, apparently the thermostat lost power which is going to suck since it's supposed to be a hot one today.

Looking forward to a marvelous migraine from staring at my monitors in a dark room for hours.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Job thread, I just got a 4 percent raise for performance, offseason of the usual "performance" but really QoL raise season.

I'm now inches away from a big milestone salary.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Having a discussion with an outside vendor that's onsite, and someone walks up and starts talking to me about barely important internal stuff.

Like, what the fuck is wrong with your brain?

this dude doesn't need to hear this shit, and you're wasting everyone's time.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I'm getting my 2% QOL raise next week. Whee.

Also, it turns out getting a wireless headset raised my work quality of life by a lot. Turns out constantly wrestling with a cord that was so long my chair would run over it half the time and a headset so heavy it gave me a headache were making my job more miserable than it needed to be.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    So speaking of school's support staff being an overlooked part of the equation: our contract (our being the union I belong to, which is made up of Secretaries, Custodians, Groundsmen, Nurses, Bus Drivers, Aides, Clerks, and now Security Guards as well I think) expired on June 30th. We have had one meeting, the month before it expired, where they told us about some BS where they were trying to quadruple the amount retired members pay into their healthcare. That wound up in the regional newspaper, which drew a response from the district that makes it seem like that is just being discussed but not acted upon. They were just trying to do this without negotiating. Well, anyway, since then, we've been here, working without a contract for the last 17 days and there's not really been any update either.

This is the second time contract negotiations have happened since I started working here. They usually make 3-year agreements and my first year working was the final year of that contract, and we worked off contract for about a month but at least we were sort of kept in the loop then.

Also, this interview with the Lee Saunders, president of AFSCME (I belong to CSEA, which is AFSCME's largest affiliate) is not encouraging: http://splinternews.com/americas-biggest-public-union-leader-is-in-the-fight-of-1797231098

The sad part is I know that the two people I work with directly, along with countless others, voted against their own interests this past November because they wouldn't stop talking about it.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    The only thing that I'm really dreading about this interview tomorrow? I have to wear pants.

I just checked the weather and it's supposed to be a high of ~70f, so it shouldn't be too bad.

But, y'know, pants.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Geez, where are you interviewing, the Department of Pants Enforcement? The Executive Office of the President of Pants? Soviet Russia?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

One engine, huh?
    1b1c2b6f4d5e29e732039afb074f546425f226267a607d035cdc978cdc31eb8a_large

Checks out.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular

Good luck dude!

@Tonkka

Good luck! :)

M6vEFK.jpg

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

One engine, huh?
    1b1c2b6f4d5e29e732039afb074f546425f226267a607d035cdc978cdc31eb8a_large

Checks out.

Holy fuck.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Yep. Israeli air force, mid-air collision. Apparently the pilot was fighting so hard for control of the aircraft, he never looked over, and didn't know that he was missing a wing until he landed.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    That F-15D was repaired and put back into service, where she flew for another thirty years.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    This is the same coworker from last week.

"Thanks for setting up my computer, [SilverWind]. But can you put Outlook on it too?"

It's on there.

"Oh?"

Did you check on the desktop?

"Yes?"

[We walk over to their computer. A Chrome window is open.]

OK, minimize this and go to the desktop.

"OK." [they do so. All of the Microsoft Office icons are on there, along with the other programs that they need to use]

[a pause]

"Where is it?"

[trying not to sound sarcastic or incredulous] Right there.

[a pause]

[I realize I have to literally point at the Outlook icon, and do so]

"Oh!!"

[I then help them pin it to their taskbar and start menu because that's where they expected it to be]

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
This discussion has been closed.