As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[XCOM] XCOM 2.5 is XCOPS

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    In the end I didnt use Remote Start, because it turned out that Assassin was sitting just one tile away from area of explosion... so I used Claymore, which helped anyway, and I killed her in one turn.

Sadly, dragunova didnt survive this mission, because in the end, I had 4 last civilians on the map (and couldnt lose more than 2), 2 Berserkers were in a middle of them, rest of my squad was too far away to do anything, Berserkers were injured by resistance members, and Dragunova was the only one nearby. I decided to risk her life and shoot at one of berserkers, hoping that it would awaken blind rage, and even if it didnt, I hoped she was far away to survive assault.

She wasn't, because i didnt predict that being angry improves berserker's mobility, so it just ran to her, and killed her in 1 hit.

In this mission I met Advent Mec, 4 Berserkers, Stun Lancers and few Advent Troopers, while I still dont have Plated Armor. Lost 2 soldiers (Reaper and squaddie grenadier), 4 are wounded... but I completed it with success.

Rest in peace Dragunova.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I've mostly thrown them straight into therapy when they picked up a fear, but do they activate once a mission when you encounter the enemy, or for each one of them they see?
    Like, if they're afraid of the Lost, will they have a chance to freak out for each of the six guys in that pod, then each of the six guys in the next pod, and so on, or is it just once?

I had a guy who got a Fear of Mechs, and it seemed to trigger once a pod.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I appear to have crashed my game by using an Advent double agent to retrieve the black site sample.

Just a heads up, use your own guys for objectives.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    Ha you fell for the classic double agent betrayal!

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    Im doing retaliation mission right now with a Reaper that has Remote Start.

I revealed Assassin weak to Reapers hidden in a car.

I don't know if I should even use Remote Star, it will just feel like cheating at this point.

Oh, whom am I kidding, on 90 % I will use it anyway.

I was on a extraction of an enemy VIP mission and he was next to a car. One pod was on him, and another patrolled onto him. Sorry commander, we aren't bringing this one in alive. Remote start and clear the board and walk to the extraction on the other side of all the smoking bodies.

• Options
    Is there any trick to repairing Sparks more quickly? I just cant find a use for them because they repair only one at a time and very slowly.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Is there any trick to repairing Sparks more quickly? I just cant find a use for them because they repair only one at a time and very slowly.

I think that the Templar scanning bonus still works for SPARKs.

If you get them the Repair skill, you can field them damaged and just do a patch on the fly.

Or just don't get them hurt. I try to do that; doesn't always work. :snap: Their Aim score is much better now, so you can play a bit aggressively with them and be fairly confident that they'll be able to put run ahead, Overdrive, and put someone down with two flanking shots.

I have been getting some good use out of my SPARKs after getting both of the Proving Ground cost reduction breakthroughs; my robuts only cost 50 supplies and 1 core now; I have three that I alternate between as needed.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Is there a mod that just lets you build the special ammos, vests, etc? I find it tremendously annoying I can just build bluescreen rounds but have to roll the dice to get talon rounds. Just something that lets me buy them like normal equipment for a reasonably balanced price.

Also, is there one to strip all your weapons or at least let you remove attachments and send them straight to the pool? I want to re-arrange how I equipped my weapons but it's a real pain.

• Options
    Is there a mod that just lets you build the special ammos, vests, etc? I find it tremendously annoying I can just build bluescreen rounds but have to roll the dice to get talon rounds. Just something that lets me buy them like normal equipment for a reasonably balanced price.

Also, is there one to strip all your weapons or at least let you remove attachments and send them straight to the pool? I want to re-arrange how I equipped my weapons but it's a real pain.

There was a proving ground mod in the base game that let you select what you built. I dont know if one has been created for WOTC yet.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited September 2017

for removable weapon mods, try this one. users are saying it works with wotc.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=658977800

I remember there was a mod that let you build what you already found in the experimental department. I'll look for it, but for right now, here is the nuclear option of being able to build everything but elerium cores. I mean EVERYTHING. You can build mods and PCS's as well. From the start of the game. But it all costs elerium and alloys so its not ''technically'' beginner winners, but yea.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1127190333

and here's how you build elerium cores, I can personally testify it works with wotc.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=624830395

ok just checked, there was this one for just ammo,vests, and grenades, but people are saying it doesn't work with wotc.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=636193478

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Thank you, that was driving me insane. The prices seemed pretty reasonable for the second one and I'm okay having to farm elerium cores.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Alright here's my chance to prevent "chosen lose all weaknesses"...

Surgical Hack the Workstation...

Nnnnooooope!

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    Bwa ha ha. Supply raid mission with three SPARKs, two bonded snipers, and a psi op.

Flawless victory. ADVENT kept marking crates too far to get to, but did not take into account Overdrive. I got every crate, and nobody took damage. Plus I got to Blaster Launcher what looked to be an oil refinery with a Gatekeeper, two Sectoids, and about a dozen Lost.

I did feel bad for the Snake who thought of the brilliant plan of venom spitting at SPARK-001, designation "BISHOP." I'm sure that Bish noted the Ph balance change in the air around it before tearing the snake apart with its phase cannon.

Honestly SPARKs feel very powerful now. They have high Defense and can play very aggressively, especially when their armor is fully upgraded. Modding their weapons patches over their ammo problems and gives them a lot more utility (having a Stock, Hair Trigger, Repeater, OR Scope is hugely beneficial when you have three shots in an Overdrive turn).

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Man, I completed one of those raids and got ZERO Elerium Cores. I've been super starved this campaign and that was before the Warlock stole the two I had managed to stockpile.

• Options
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Man, I completed one of those raids and got ZERO Elerium Cores. I've been super starved this campaign and that was before the Warlock stole the two I had managed to stockpile.

The Avenger sabotage missions the Chosen do are kinda interesting. I had the Hunter destroy some elerium cores and wound one of my engineers. Wounded an engineer! She couldn't staff a room or excavate until she healed up.

But, like, how did he do it? Did he sneak onboard and settle on wounding one person before leaving? Or was it, like boobytrapped stuff we brought onboard?

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »

The Avenger sabotage missions the Chosen do are kinda interesting. I had the Hunter destroy some elerium cores and wound one of my engineers. Wounded an engineer! She couldn't staff a room or excavate until she healed up.

But, like, how did he do it? Did he sneak onboard and settle on wounding one person before leaving? Or was it, like boobytrapped stuff we brought onboard?

Sternly worded letter.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I just unlocked the training center and I can see that my best sniper can learn both "Rapid fire" and "hail of bullets"

This is gonna be fun.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I just unlocked the training center and I can see that my best sniper can learn both "Rapid fire" and "hail of bullets"

This is gonna be fun.

Fair warning, Rapid Fire does not work with squadsight. Gotta get close enough to see the white of their eyes.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Looking at the Chosens weapon mods, they're all locked in there, but it says something like 'Region bonus required'.
    Is that a glitch, or is there an actual bonus that lets you change the mods? Because sticking an expanded mag on the Hunters rifle would remove the only problem I have with it.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Ooh, terrible mod idea; Adding some extra poses to the Propaganda mode.
    I just want to get my team doing an XCOM pose, YMCA-style.

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I am still waiting for a mod that adds more faces to soldiers.

Seriously Firaxis, I will pay good money for a dlc that does nothing more but adds 2 more faces for each gender and each race! Just give it to me!

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    This lost on every mission is getting annoying. I end up fighting every pod on the map at the same time, and the aliens and lost seem to ignore each other to focus on me.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Mortious wrote: »
    This lost on every mission is getting annoying. I end up fighting every pod on the map at the same time, and the aliens and lost seem to ignore each other to focus on me.

Actually I kinda love it. I had zombies crawling all over a shopping mall, civilians running everywhere, ADVENT freaking out. It was kinda a trip.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I was doing a 'kill the advent officer' mission on a map with lost, which was pretty amusing because the advent fought the lost at least as much as they fought me. Toward the end I activated a pod that had a gatekeeper, resulting in this amusing scene:
    LjQj3HB.jpg

you can't really tell from the screenshot but about half of those are psi-zombies created by the gatekeeper (that street had already seen heavy fighting) and half a lost swarm. This led to zombie on zombie violence:
    CXJLRyP.jpg

and also one of the better killzones I've ever had a chance at
    zHjMq0z.jpg

this andromedon knows where the free kills are
    fvivLy9.jpg

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    Someone here said ambushes were a total cakewalk. Troopers with grenades, officer with mark, mutons with stun attacks and MECs with grenade launchers. And the lost in front. With two weaker soldiers.

Yeah sure.

My L/I run should have ended several times already, I've lost too many dudes. I have a small core left and I'm on my second avenger defense now, 31 enemies detected every single one the worst kind imaginable. Council extraction missions are extremely dangerous late game, especially with andromedons that destroy the only nearby access ladder to the extraction zone on the last round. I later tried to break a guy lost on that mission out of prison on another council extraction mission. On the turn I opened the cell a pod with 3 advent + sectopod, another pod with 2 mutons and an andromedon as well as reinforcements with 3 high tier advent revealed. Not very doable on a time limit, still got some of my guys out.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Finally at the tail-end very easy bits, and while I wish there were a way to skip non-story missions without a penalty, I'm enjoying the fact that between the Alien Ruler suits, the Chosen weapons, and the ability to point-buy people into superheroic excesses of power, it's like an inverted early-game.

I mean the Icarus suit is ridiculous, and I love it.

Right now I'm just doing a few clean-up bits and while I do so I'm sending one person on like every +X covert op available to see if I can have someone who's got like 40 health and the ability to sprint across the map for the final mission.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I started XCOM 1 over the weekend. Vanilla version. I own Enemy Within. But since I've never played this game, I wanted to experience the vanilla version before I start adding in more stuff. I've heard that Enemy Within is the optimal way to play it, and I fully plan to do that. But since I have literally zero experience with this game, I want to get a taste of the original incarnation first.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I started XCOM 1 over the weekend. Vanilla version. I own Enemy Within. But since I've never played this game, I wanted to experience the vanilla version before I start adding in more stuff. I've heard that Enemy Within is the optimal way to play it, and I fully plan to do that. But since I have literally zero experience with this game, I want to get a taste of the original incarnation first.
    Make sure you play at least once on Ironman Impossible.
    That'll be your canon playthrough for 2.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular

Won't everyone just be dead?
    :rotate: :rotate: :rotate:

• Options
    morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Vic_Hazard wrote: »
    Someone here said ambushes were a total cakewalk. Troopers with grenades, officer with mark, mutons with stun attacks and MECs with grenade launchers. And the lost in front. With two weaker soldiers.

Yeah sure.

My L/I run should have ended several times already, I've lost too many dudes. I have a small core left and I'm on my second avenger defense now, 31 enemies detected every single one the worst kind imaginable. Council extraction missions are extremely dangerous late game, especially with andromedons that destroy the only nearby access ladder to the extraction zone on the last round. I later tried to break a guy lost on that mission out of prison on another council extraction mission. On the turn I opened the cell a pod with 3 advent + sectopod, another pod with 2 mutons and an andromedon as well as reinforcements with 3 high tier advent revealed. Not very doable on a time limit, still got some of my guys out.

On the prisoner breakouts, I just keep everyone in stealth and get to the backside of the prison, then use grenades to knock down the wall. Pick up my guy and extract right there. I usually never even fire a single round on those.

Won't everyone just be dead?
    :rotate: :rotate: :rotate:

Kind of the point, lol, the humans lose XCOM 1, it's what sets up XCOM2.

morgan_coke on
    XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Also it's funny realizing how well the first run-through on veteran/ironman worked for me in retrospect.

Like I'm hip-deep in amazing super-weapons and the story-missions were an absolute piece of cake, whereas I think on my first run-through I did everything but the final mission with Mag weapons because I was so nervous about the timeline.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    Vic_Hazard wrote: »

Yeah sure.

On the prisoner breakouts, I just keep everyone in stealth and get to the backside of the prison, then use grenades to knock down the wall. Pick up my guy and extract right there. I usually never even fire a single round on those.

It wasn't a prison break out like if your guys get taken by chosen (That's never happened in my campaign), it's an exfil council mission. You know, 12 turns anyone left gets captured, so you don't have time to skirt around the map in concealment.

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Thought I'd give Sparks a try for once outside of the only time I played Shen's story mission way back when.
    qd9CbF7.png

Had to be done.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    But since I have literally zero experience with this game, I want to get a taste of the original incarnation first.

If you want a taste of the original, then you're playing the wrong game.

x9voyl97bi1e.jpg

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »
    Thought I'd give Sparks a try for once outside of the only time I played Shen's story mission way back when.
    qd9CbF7.png

Had to be done.

Im amazed noone's done it yet. The story mode chosen have been pressuring me pretty hard through most of the campaign. Found all chosen early and the first three months were supply crackdowns from all of them so what should have been 350/month was 200/month. And i got the training center over the proving grounds so that slowed my spark options to never this campaign. I never had the supplies to build one, and I went psykers so thats that this game. Thank god I had reaper supply 2 order which gives 10% more supplies per month. Many times i had just enough money to get the tech i needed before a rough mission.

Im thinking the build order is now some combination of spy ring, gts, and proving grounds, then power room.

I might go ini digging on next campaign to change some of the costs of equipment since hero weapons are seperate from the rest of xcom forces weapons.

If you see resistancd contact missions, take them. There are enough of them that you can get by with only one comms room on the avenger. Also you only need 16 contacts to cover the world, and the mission draw let me fulfill that by august, as well as other covert missions.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I'm replaying EW again, I tried Classic ironman but after getting screwed a bunch of times by stupid bullshit like Portent and the first Exalt covert op I'm playing Impossible savescum. It makes me really appreciate the gameplay improvements in 2. Reloading ending your turn feels bad, steam placement is moronic, countries getting so mad you can't defend them from aliens with one plane that they surrender to the aliens is infuriating.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Since I left that guerilla op for another time (the surgical hacking mission), now I'm kinda thinking about going for it

I was worried about losing contact to the region if i failed but apparently that's only on retaliations and raids?

People were saying you can evac after the hack and still cancel the dark event. I'd lose the mission reward, but it's just supplies. hmmmm

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    AhiMahiAhiMahi Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I'm replaying EW again, I tried Classic ironman but after getting screwed a bunch of times by stupid bullshit like Portent and the first Exalt covert op I'm playing Impossible savescum. It makes me really appreciate the gameplay improvements in 2. Reloading ending your turn feels bad, steam placement is moronic, countries getting so mad you can't defend them from aliens with one plane that they surrender to the aliens is infuriating.

I had a 93% hit opportunity with my Specialist for my last turn but he missed the shot. The surviving lone alien tossed a nade and took out 2 of my guys.

That's bullshit X-com baby!

• Options
    If it aint a hundo shot percentage its not guaranteed.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    If it aint a hundo shot percentage its not guaranteed.

I put my sniper on every single +Aim covert action, used the Superior Aim mind-mod-whatever-chip on her, then spent all of the XCOM pooled Ability points on her, and by the end of the game there was almost no such thing as a shot that wasn't 100% for her. It's so gooood. Highly recommend. After rappelling to the first bit of highground she'll never move, and any grenades I have I use to open holes in walls so she can shoot inside for the insane damage.

The only downside is the squad would have to wait like 3 turns for her to catch up once the mission was cleared.

qcklw92m98s0.png
This discussion has been closed.