As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[XCOM] XCOM 2.5 is XCOPS

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, the reddit nerds just spotted something interesting:

https://steamdb.info/app/268500/dlc/

A new DLC folder for XCOM 2 appeared in the Steam Database two days ago. IIRC Jake said he was done with XCOM 2 as of WOTC, but I think he also said that after Shen's last Gift so Iunno.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Sparks are ridiculous expensive. I like the variety they provide, but they hardly seem worth it since they aren’t up to snuff compared to normal rookies pricing.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Sparks are ridiculous expensive. I like the variety they provide, but they hardly seem worth it since they aren’t up to snuff compared to normal rookies pricing.

As of WotC, SPARKs are totally worth it.

They never get tired, they can be sent out injured, and their base Aim is very good now.

I try to get at least two up and running ASAP so I have something to send on missions when almost everybody is in the infirmary or out on covert ops.
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Oh hey, the reddit nerds just spotted something interesting:

https://steamdb.info/app/268500/dlc/

A new DLC folder for XCOM 2 appeared in the Steam Database two days ago. IIRC Jake said he was done with XCOM 2 as of WOTC, but I think he also said that after Shen's last Gift so Iunno.

I still think there are places they can go with XCOM 2. They are conspicuously missing a heavy weapon Chosen; I recall that the "Brute" was not working the way they wanted it to, and so they cut it out... if they have used the extra time to put together some more content and give us a fourth Chosen, I'd buy it.

Also we still don't really know what Vahlen has been up to lately, after creating the Rulers.

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Gimme, gimme, gimme another dlc!

It can even be small, the only things I want are:
    • 4th Chosen, demolition expert
    • some sort of 4th fraction
    • proper recruitment mission for Templars

Also, more customization options, faces and hairstyles, because there is never enough.

• Options
    KorhedronKorhedron Registered User regular
    You know, concerning the possible new DLC and the ending of WotC and basegame
    I was hoping for announcement of XCOM 3 soon enough to cover that... thing. But they could of course add another campaign. For instance let the player build a sub as a new TFTD-style HQ and bring new soldiers up "from scratch". One could blame this reset on it being underwater and demanding new tech/training for that. Add some animation to the existing models, along with some external "scuba-like" pressure suits for organics, and a fairly quick retexture for the mechanical foes. Advent is pretty well encased in armor to need minor revisions to pass inspection.
    Yeah, I know that's a pipe-dream. It's way too much work to be expected, considering the overall campaign quality, and how hard they've worked to integrate all new DLC into the base game campaign. But wouldn't it be totally worth it to let a skirmisher go spear-fishing for lobstermen?! You'd better have plans to include my boy Mox in the next installment, Jake!
    *Crosses fingers for another WotC-level expansion* No matter what form, WotC was great enough to get me hyped for any new content.

These are the stories of Dwarf Fortress. Legends have been forged there, and meticulousy gathered in one mighty hub: http://dfstories.com/start-here/
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    They needed enemies that could have recurring personality but could also be killed instantly with a Repeater and not be super anticlimactic.

If you review a Chosen's weaknesses, it is possible to ice them so fast. Like in the story missions I think the assassin is always weak to Reapers and Explosives... which means that the Reaper's Claymore does over 20 damage to her.

Also if you time out how and when you kill them prior to having them go into their bullet sponge, and how and when you pop said sponge, you can make brutally short work both of their sarcophagus and the chosen themselves after they respawn. Try to kill their initial form and the sarcophagus with the first action of a given combat round. You can put them in the box and then shoot that box 5 times *immediately* and nearly pop it. Then pop the box with the first attack of the following round, or maybe round after. They'll come out over half dead and you have 5 people who can instantly jump on them.
    I think I dislike the infinite spawning enemies thing for the same reason I dislike the research not showing the outcome.

Speaking of infinite spawning enemies, I fucking *haaaaaated* The Lost until I got Bladestorm. Especially with the Katana.

Cog on
  • Options
    Cog wrote: »

Speaking of infinite spawning enemies, I fucking *haaaaaated* The Lost until I got Bladestorm. Especially with the Katana.

My first game with WitC, I got Between the Eyes and had no idea why people hated Lost missions. "But my sharpshooter can kill like 12 of them per round!"

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Okay, for some strange reason in a middle of my legendary campaign some mods (Robojumper's Squad Select, Free Camera Rotation, Display Health Values) stopped working, even though they are visible in a game launcher and selected. I even tried to reinstall one of them, nope, still not working. Anyone had similiar problem? I wasn't even changing anything with mod configuration, today everything worked fine, and when I launched the game again it was already like this.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Switched from Normal mode save scumming to classic honestman.

Two squad wipes so far, shit is real rough. Don’t know if I am kidding myself by continuing my campaign.

The first one was some really bad calls from me, but the second time was going just fine until the Warlock mind controlled two of my guys and started murding my squad.

I enjoy this game, but the chosen and alien rulers really ruin my day sometimes.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    Korhedron wrote: »
    You know, concerning the possible new DLC and the ending of WotC and basegame
    I was hoping for announcement of XCOM 3 soon enough to cover that... thing. But they could of course add another campaign. For instance let the player build a sub as a new TFTD-style HQ and bring new soldiers up "from scratch". One could blame this reset on it being underwater and demanding new tech/training for that. Add some animation to the existing models, along with some external "scuba-like" pressure suits for organics, and a fairly quick retexture for the mechanical foes. Advent is pretty well encased in armor to need minor revisions to pass inspection.
    Yeah, I know that's a pipe-dream. It's way too much work to be expected, considering the overall campaign quality, and how hard they've worked to integrate all new DLC into the base game campaign. But wouldn't it be totally worth it to let a skirmisher go spear-fishing for lobstermen?! You'd better have plans to include my boy Mox in the next installment, Jake!
    *Crosses fingers for another WotC-level expansion* No matter what form, WotC was great enough to get me hyped for any new content.
    I kinda want them to bring in the cut content from WotC:
    Fourth resistence faction comprised of androids. Probably had Brent Spiner in mind for the VA going by the pattern of all the others. And then a fourth chosen to counter; grenadier/explosives expy. Would have been glorious

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    I’m kind of disappointed in the difficulty curve to War of the Chosen. It is as bad, if not worse then EU/EW.

For a game that starts with 3-5 thing viaing for your attention at any given moment and asking you to make choices and trade offs, at some point it just gives up on that.

I have to park myself at base and scan just to pass time. All the chosen are dead, all the missions are easy, I feel like I won but I just have to slog through the ending research.

• Options
    I’m kind of disappointed in the difficulty curve to War of the Chosen. It is as bad, if not worse then EU/EW.

For a game that starts with 3-5 thing viaing for your attention at any given moment and asking you to make choices and trade offs, at some point it just gives up on that.

I have to park myself at base and scan just to pass time. All the chosen are dead, all the missions are easy, I feel like I won but I just have to slog through the ending research.

What difficulty level are you playing on?

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Yeah. WotC makes the start of the game harder, end of the game easier as you're running around with their legendary weapons. It's a lot of fun to play through, but if anything, it further upsets the balance of the back half of the game.

• Options

Normal, which I agree Is part of the problem. But I’d expect the curve to be much the same on veteran / legendary. With it being really hard at first and then getting easier.

I played EU/EW almost exclusively on classic Ironman and the beginning of that game is brutal, but if you can survive those first 4 mission with a squad intact you’ll have an easier go of it.

• Options
    SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    Yup, and another problem is that the avatar project progress, which is the entire premise of the game, is a total non-factor now that you can reduce it through the resistance ring. I mean, it was poorly implemented from the start in that you could wait until the countdown then start bringing it down, but now it's just a silly thing.

• Options
    Yup, and another problem is that the avatar project progress, which is the entire premise of the game, is a total non-factor now that you can reduce it through the resistance ring. I mean, it was poorly implemented from the start in that you could wait until the countdown then start bringing it down, but now it's just a silly thing.

It seems like an odd choice that the Resistance Ring brings it down by 2 whereas the missions you go on to bring it down only bring it down by 1.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    hippofant wrote: »

Yeah. WotC makes the start of the game harder, end of the game easier as you're running around with their legendary weapons. It's a lot of fun to play through, but if anything, it further upsets the balance of the back half of the game.

It also sucks the urgency out of research and interest from gathering add-ons.

Every single squad ends up as 3 characters wielding the Chosen’s weapons and wearing Ruler armor, a psi with the bolt caster, a grenadier in a WAR suit and a Reaper.

Next mission, same load out. Someone’s tired? Maybe swap in a different faction troop for shits, or a SPARK. Hand out the god weapons to the next batch of suit-fillers.

I’d like to see more weapon specific talent trees, or a weapon familiarity mechanic or something to penalize getting off the Skyranger, stripping down, and handing your shit to the person getting on.

I mean, that RAGE armor must smell like a hobo skunk by now.

Cog on
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    While it's fun to make super soldiers, I can't help but feel that the training facility that allows abilities outside of the skill tree to be a design misstep. Blast Padding or Shredding? Why choose when you can have both!

Sid Meir described his philosophy of game design as a series of interesting choices for the player. WOTC has removed some of those choices or at least, made them meaningless.

EDIT:

Just to be clear, XCOM 2 is an amazingly designed game, these flaws just stand out because of well everything else is executed.

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options

Normal, which I agree Is part of the problem. But I’d expect the curve to be much the same on veteran / legendary. With it being really hard at first and then getting easier.

I played EU/EW almost exclusively on classic Ironman and the beginning of that game is brutal, but if you can survive those first 4 mission with a squad intact you’ll have an easier go of it.

Commander difficulty is the "classic" difficulty level where the computer stops cheating on your behalf.

You are right that the curve is similar, but I guess that the difficulty spike on a pure mechanics level from Normal->Commander gives the game some longevity, as do the optional complications (I really enjoyed Grim Horizon, which made Dark Events permanent).

So...I guess I wouldn't quite write the game off as too easy quite yet.

• Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    My experience is that the curve is way, way better in WotC compared to EW. EW had two initial hellmonths and then got rapidly easier. WotC has a crushingly mean midgame.

But I play L/I, so the aliens probably progress a lot faster and all the difficulty increases compound each other (more enemies per mission mean harder enemies per mission becomes even more lethal etc). Try a higher difficulty level.

• Options
    Yeah my problem wasn’t that it was too easy. My problem is the game starts out difficult and then gets easier and easier. It’s a really common difficulty curve you see in games with leveling up mechanics.

Anyway, my core problem is I just saved all the Shadow Chamber stuff until the end. I literally just needed to crunch through research to get through to the end game and I think by the time that happened I had all god soldiers, so it was pretty easy.

Odd that you can just ignore the story, what pushed you forward on that before WOTC?

• Options
    Yeah my problem wasn’t that it was too easy. My problem is the game starts out difficult and then gets easier and easier. It’s a really common difficulty curve you see in games with leveling up mechanics.

Anyway, my core problem is I just saved all the Shadow Chamber stuff until the end. I literally just needed to crunch through research to get through to the end game and I think by the time that happened I had all god soldiers, so it was pretty easy.

Odd that you can just ignore the story, what pushed you forward on that before WOTC?

Avatar timer was harder to stop before; you really needed those reductions from doing the story missions, as you would eventually run out of facilities to knock over.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Avatar timer was harder to stop before; you really needed those reductions from doing the story missions, as you would eventually run out of facilities to knock over.

That's why you waited until the last possible moment to knock the facilities out.

With the ability to send people on covert mission to keep the Avatar progress under control, you can actually hit multiple facilities now in quick succession, if you want to.

I need to start getting more aggressive like that, still stuck in vanilla tactics.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

That's why you waited until the last possible moment to knock the facilities out.

With the ability to send people on covert mission to keep the Avatar progress under control, you can actually hit multiple facilities now in quick succession, if you want to.

I need to start getting more aggressive like that, still stuck in vanilla tactics.

Not to mention that you can take out a facility with a single reaper, and usually get three in a row before you have to rest them. In one game I knocked out 5 bases in succession with two Reapers and didn't even suffer for it.

• Options
    A duck! wrote: »

Not to mention that you can take out a facility with a single reaper, and usually get three in a row before you have to rest them. In one game I knocked out 5 bases in succession with two Reapers and didn't even suffer for it.

I must be using Reapers wrong...

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »

I must be using Reapers wrong...

They can just stay invisible forever with their tiny detection radius, drop the charge, immediately re-stealth and book it. Zero risk.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    I just watched an Advent MEC hit a running civilian with an overwatch shot for 9 damage, only to reveal that it was a Faceless in disguise.

That was fun.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    Just a PSA, the PS4 version of this game is basically unplayable right now, post-patch. Game locks up every time I try and send people on a covert op, there are glitches all over the place, it's really rough.

• Options
    Just a PSA, the PS4 version of this game is basically unplayable right now, post-patch. Game locks up every time I try and send people on a covert op, there are glitches all over the place, it's really rough.

I had that on PC, pre-patch. I think it was something to do with a memory leak in the graphical portraits of the soldiers. I could usually get past it if I restart between running a mission and starting the covert op.

• Options

I had that on PC, pre-patch. I think it was something to do with a memory leak in the graphical portraits of the soldiers. I could usually get past it if I restart between running a mission and starting the covert op.

Yeah the portraits do have some glitching going on as well. Game hard crashed so I did a full restart, but that crash happened every time.

Basically I'd advise against picking up the PS4 version.

• Options
    Been watching some Phoenix Point videos. Interesting that you have freedom to maneuver within your blue move as long as you have move points left. A little more classic action point system while keeping the XCOM polish.

Also the point of interest system in that game is crazy. So many dots on the geoscape...that is going to drive me nuts, especially when the fog starts eating sites that I don't have time to get to.

• Options
    Been watching some Phoenix Point videos. Interesting that you have freedom to maneuver within your blue move as long as you have move points left. A little more classic action point system while keeping the XCOM polish.

Also the point of interest system in that game is crazy. So many dots on the geoscape...that is going to drive me nuts, especially when the fog starts eating sites that I don't have time to get to.

I missed the point of interest system. What video demos that?

• Options

I missed the point of interest system. What video demos that?

Try this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrL0H6sprLE

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Those behemoths are rather lovecraftian

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    An update to the rumored new DLC: the folder in SteamDB is now named "XCOM 2 - TLE". Internet nerds are now furiously debating what this could possibly stand for. Theories include, in rough order of plausibility:
    • "The Legendary Edition" - just a new bundle containing all of the previous DLC, which would be a bit disappointing
    • "The Last Expansion" - presumably this would be a working title and not the actual name
    • "The Last Ethereal" - Where did those guys go anyway?
    • "The Lederhosen Event" - Vahlen is back!
    • "Timers Literally Everywhere" - Makes sense that they would expand upon everyone's favorite feature
    • "Terror Lrom the Eep" - Lol.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I finally grabbed the Xcom 2 collection. Time to give it a spin tonight.

Is the Xcom Enemy Unknown iOS port any good? Looks like a good way to pass some time at work.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »

Is the Xcom Enemy Unknown iOS port any good? Looks like a good way to pass some time at work.

One of us! One of us! Make sure to not play too easy a difficulty, the game is at its best when its fucking hard!

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I've actually had the first game for a while, but Xcom 2 just looked a lot more interesting to the point where whenever I was playing EW I was thinking I should just buy Xcom 2. So I did.

I play games on whatever normal difficulty the game puts me on. If I finish the campaign and really enjoy it, I'll probably go replay it on a higher level.

Just played up to where you meet the first Chosen. The game is already miles more fun than the first game.

I also dropped $50 on the pre order for Pheonix Point, because from what I've seen that looks rad.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Xcom 2 really is a huge improvement.

Obviously you do you it's a single player game, but the game really starts to shine on commander.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »

The iOS port is excellent. It is the full fledged game in every way with slightly reduced graphics, which you probably won't really even notice on a phone.

Its only fault is that it is not XCom 2.

This discussion has been closed.