As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[XCOM] XCOM 2.5 is XCOPS

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Is there any sort of talk of some danged controller ... controls for PC?

I really enjoyed XCOM1 with the controller on the TV, it's great for spectating and working as a group to figure out the best strategies.

It super annoys me that they seem to have decided that it's just Steam Controller for XCOM2 on the PC despite coming out for the frigging consoles.

Wait, is it?

I have controller tooltips in XCOM2, i assumed it meant you could use the controller in it.

Also, quick question about the Psi Op Class in XCOM 2, do you get any benefit from field experience with them or is it all in-vitro training?

It all comes from sitting in the tube, so there is no reason to actually bring you Psi troops into the field until they have a power that is actually useful.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

I really enjoyed XCOM1 with the controller on the TV, it's great for spectating and working as a group to figure out the best strategies.

It super annoys me that they seem to have decided that it's just Steam Controller for XCOM2 on the PC despite coming out for the frigging consoles.

Wait, is it?

I have controller tooltips in XCOM2, i assumed it meant you could use the controller in it.

Also, quick question about the Psi Op Class in XCOM 2, do you get any benefit from field experience with them or is it all in-vitro training?

It all comes from sitting in the tube, so there is no reason to actually bring you Psi troops into the field until they have a power that is actually useful.

So training their Psi Abilities increases their HP?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I thought they added in controller support towards the end of last year. I've not tried it though so I can neither confirm nor deny.
    Foefaller wrote: »

Wait, is it?

So training their Psi Abilities increases their HP?

They get the hp/aim/etc increase equivalent to a rank up when they learn a skill in a given rank for the first time iirc. Note that they can learn all the skills with enough time in the tank but they don't get double HP etc.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    It was added in November, but I was under the impression that it was super janky.

I should probably just try it myself.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Put them in the tube and take em out during missions. Only time they lose training time is if they get wounded. Takes about ~3months with and engi to train all the skills, but there are 4 or five that are super useful. Fuse, lance, singularity, mind control and... the inspiration aura that wipes out panic just by moving the aura on them.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I think the first patch that introduces (Non-Steam) controller support broke a couple of other things, but now it works fine. UI doesn't scale up, so playing on the couch is a little bothersome. Other than that it's pretty much the same as in EU/EW. (Although I haven't played around with it in the strategy layer, only the very last mission.)

• Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    Put them in the tube and take em out during missions. Only time they lose training time is if they get wounded. Takes about ~3months with and engi to train all the skills, but there are 4 or five that are super useful. Fuse, lance, singularity, mind control and... the inspiration aura that wipes out panic just by moving the aura on them.

Stasis. Especially if you don't have the Freeze Grenade from the Alien Rulers DLC.

• Options
    Stasis is only useful when on point fighting the zerker queen. Before the WotC update sets in, manufacture damage over time ammo like fire and poison. Every time the rulers act and REact, they will take every type dot damage for between 6 and like 18damage. And dots get more leathal when you slot them into guass and plasma rifles. Its very possible to 1turn a ruler, or 3turn it with standard gear as long as you got dots.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I'm really really terrible at the geoscape portion of the game, and I can generally do okay in the battlescape (other than some wrenches thrown in when new mechanics are introduced. I only have maybe 15 hours in the game so far? One botched first game that got scrubbed and a second game where I've progressed to nearly take on the first black site mission.)

Any pointers on where I should focus research, what I should purchase, what/when I should build rooms, what I should prioritize for missions, etc.?

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I was in your spot prior to my last dive in. Here's what helped me:

- First room you buy should be the guerilla tactics school so you can get the extra squaddies.
    - Get the AWC quickly too as having it staffed with an engineer reduces healing time by 50%
    - Spread your network across at least a continent relatively quickly. That added income from spreading out your network is key and something I never paid enough attention to (also why you need to make sure you're staffing your comms)
    - Don't worry TOO much about the advent counter. I found that once I got my squad to a certain power level I was able to mainline a lot of those missions. I went from a nearly full counter to nothing over the course of a few combat missions.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    m!ttens wrote: »
    I'm really really terrible at the geoscape portion of the game, and I can generally do okay in the battlescape (other than some wrenches thrown in when new mechanics are introduced. I only have maybe 15 hours in the game so far? One botched first game that got scrubbed and a second game where I've progressed to nearly take on the first black site mission.)

Any pointers on where I should focus research, what I should purchase, what/when I should build rooms, what I should prioritize for missions, etc.?

Always
    Be
    Clearing rubble

Unless you absolutely need a room ASAP or have to staff something, you need gto have at least one Engineer clearing rooms, because that is the one process that doesn't happen at all unless you have someone on it. New construction will proceed alongside clearing on its own.

I typically prioritize plot research, then plated armor, then magnetic weapons (with a few incidentals in between). Don't do autopsies, generally, since they become automatic after awhile.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    you can kind of feel when you should be doing research, after a while. You know you can spare a few days for an autopsy to get a good bonus, but yes

always be clearing rubble. get the guerrilla tactics school. speed ball the research for comm relays, because relays = $$$.
    also, its not super important, but its a big bonus if you can get the GTS placed in one of the top corners of the map on day 1. You don't need to put an engi in there to boost it, and it frees up the middle space for something that can be engi staffed and if you are short on engis, a workshop will be super efficient in the middle on floor two.

also, power rooms get a massive bonus if you can put them in power coupling rooms, and that compounds again when you upgrade it and put engis/drones in them to work.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    You can also sometimes get research boosts from the black market, which can be amazing for turning out a couple of quick projects, particularly for long things like weapons and armour.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    you can kind of feel when you should be doing research, after a while. You know you can spare a few days for an autopsy to get a good bonus, but yes

always be clearing rubble. get the guerrilla tactics school. speed ball the research for comm relays, because relays = $$$.
    also, its not super important, but its a big bonus if you can get the GTS placed in one of the top corners of the map on day 1. You don't need to put an engi in there to boost it, and it frees up the middle space for something that can be engi staffed and if you are short on engis, a workshop will be super efficient in the middle on floor two.

also, power rooms get a massive bonus if you can put them in power coupling rooms, and that compounds again when you upgrade it and put engis/drones in them to work.

Is there some kind of adjacency bonus or other bonus for placing things in certain locations (other than power plants in power rooms)?

• Options
    no, not this game. adjacency bonus in that you place a workshop besided it. and one engineer in a workshop will give two drones to work with. so you can put those drones to work in adjacent rooms to the workshop. usually best done with power rooms and comm relay rooms since you can't really move those people around when you start redlining power and relay capacities.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    It's been like a year since I played and a lot of the important stuff has already been said.

1. I wait until the Avatar countdown is filled to do my first story mission. By then I'm usually at tier 2 armor/guns so I can rip through the Blacksite. This used to be better but they needed the countdown, but it's basically free time you don't have to worry about Avatar stuff.
    2. Don't rush for Psionics right away. Psi Ops are stupid good but the investment early game is massive.
    3. Beacons are your friend, even post nerf. You probably don't have room for more than 2 though.
    4. The extra team members and extra loot bonuses from the GTS are very good.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

Workshops are never efficient. You are paying money up front to eventually get an inflexible engineer that has MASSIVE maintenance costs. Just buy engineers directly.

Power Relays are not overly efficient to put on the exposed conduits. There's no compounding bonus, you just get a flat +7 power for doing so. No modifiers to that, ever. There may be a bug that implies you get another +7 power when upgrading, but you do not. It is just as efficient to put a Resistance Comms on the conduit (would otherwise take 7 power when upgraded). Alternatively, the Psi Lab takes 10 power and the Shadow Chamber takes 9 power, so those are significantly better to put on the conduit. In practical terms, place a power relay as soon as you need one, rather than waiting for a "perfect" spot. You will have plenty of power either way.

Garthor on
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    XCOM 2 just decided it wasn't going to launch, period. I've reinstalled, I've verified the cache, I've reinstalled DirectX and VCredist, reinstalled microsoft.net, tried the game in admin mode and normal mode, rebooted (obviously), I've done everything I've ever had to do to fix a game that has ever needed it and nothing works.

It starts, says game is running in the sidebar, and then shuts down without even showing so much as a splash menu. No mods or saves, done with steam cloud disabled, etc.

I'm at my wit's end. Any ideas? Thanks.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    epkdnbepkdnb SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Frei wrote: »
    XCOM 2 just decided it wasn't going to launch, period. I've reinstalled, I've verified the cache, I've reinstalled DirectX and VCredist, reinstalled microsoft.net, tried the game in admin mode and normal mode, rebooted (obviously), I've done everything I've ever had to do to fix a game that has ever needed it and nothing works.

It starts, says game is running in the sidebar, and then shuts down without even showing so much as a splash menu. No mods or saves, done with steam cloud disabled, etc.

Maybe check: C:\Users\<user name>\Documents\My Games\XCOM2\XComGame\Logs\launch.log and see if it has any google-able errors/warnings/bugs/crashes.

epkdnb on
  • Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »

Anytime I've had a game shut down after launching, it usually means two things.

1.) Anti-virus is detecting the X-Com.exe as a threat and is shutting down and will need to be added to the safe exceptiosn.
    2.) Rare, but a possibility. Add X-Com2 to the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) so that Windows will not instantly shut down the program.

Definitely try to see if the crash log epkdnb mentioned has any specifics. That will be infinitely more helpful.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    Thanks guys. No crash logs and wasn't anti-virus. It ended up being some... I don't know, I don't even know what causes it, but it made it so the only way it could be started is in some sort of developer shell mode by running it as administrator. Even after a fresh install, everything wiped clean, did the same thing and would put up a red overlay on the screen when I started/exited the game. I could play, but no mods and lots of weird debug options, and there was nothing like that turned on.

I had to make a shortcut to Xcom2 on the taskbar, and then add "-noRedScreens -review" to the target line on the shortcut. after that, it ran just like normal from Steam with no further issue. Incredibly weird but all fine now.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyAQdUn46Sk

Psychic monks? Pyschic Monks.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options

Templar looks like it hits my play style pretty well, but they don't have nearly the personality of the other two thusfar.

• Options
    They didn't really show much in the way of their overall mantra or anything, so I'll hold judgment on that.

Their abilities look super interesting, though. I like skill synergy and the balancing of resources in combat. Also, who doesn't want zealot blades?

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Finally have a bit of time to watch the 80min video. 45 seconds in photobooth.

Yea, we let you make posters for bondmates, after missions, deaths of high ranking soldiers...

Ave. Game time before wotc. 40hrs.
    Ave. Game time after wotc. 900hrs.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I guess this busts the theories that Geist is Vahlen or Annette Durand, since he's clearly a dude.

• Options
    God I really hope Vahlen shows back up, Rulers was such a tease.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular

Swords, psychic powers, lightning bolts...reflect shots on level up?

Jedi knights.

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    If anyone is interested I've decided to stream my newest playthrough of XCOM 2 (Commander difficulty, no alien rulers because ehhhhhh)

Link for twitch channel. I'll be having it upload sessions to YouTube upon completion 'cos I'd like to keep these. That link ought to be in my signature/profile.

No set schedule for these, especially since for the next 7 days straight I'll be doing late night shifts at work.

Edit: forgot to mention, in true XCOM fashion I played quite possibly my worst ever Gatecrasher mission since getting the game because I decided to go live with it.

EvmaAlsar on
    6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »

Edit: forgot to mention, in true XCOM fashion I played quite possibly my worst ever Gatecrasher mission since getting the game because I decided to go live with it.

I started a streaming runthrough with people from MerchI (after spending 90 minutes customizing characters) and proceeded to squad wipe within 5 minutes on Gatecrasher.

That video only resides on my HDD at home now, I believe.

Durinia on
    For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    I have so many failed Gatecrasher runs.

So many.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Yeah I make a point to not get attached to anyone on Gatecrasher. Especially since I typically restart if I lose more than 1 soldier.

• Options
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Yeah I make a point to not get attached to anyone on Gatecrasher. Especially since I typically restart if I lose more than 1 soldier.

If I lose more than one soldier I simply have everyone left huddle together and eat grenades until it tells me that I can restart the mission.

• Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    All these tips on the geoscaping side of things are super welcome, research & base building has by far been the weakest part of my game in every playthrough

qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTOrnMdFTQE
    looks like this fella has squadsight which...yeah that could be fun

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    damnit, I impulse bought the expansion after watching that hour long playthrough, I didn't even look at the date, I just knew it was August. I was thinking yeah like in a week or two I can start up a new game! Checked the release date. Got sad.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I'm finally winding down the game of XCOM 2 that I started on launch-day, over a year ago (I took a looong break in the middle). Almost done with the last mission.

The MVP of the last mission is, without a doubt, a Gatekeeper that I mind-controlled at the start of the level. It's played the twin role of scout/tank, floating steadily in front of my team, drawing all of the attention, and taking every hit. Yes, its attack was useful a few times to mop up and alien here and there, but mainly it just hangs out like an impenetrable pinata and soaks up hits. Over the course of the level, it only lost 4 hit points, despite being attacked countless times by Mutons, Berserkers, Andromedans, Archons, you name it. In my head-canon, when this mission is over, this Gatekeeper is hailed as humanity's savior right alongside XCOM, and is remembered in history books forever.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Yeah mind-controlling the Gatekeeper is pretty much what everyone does.

• Options
    Okay, it's Tuesday; where is my XHYPE?

• Options
    edited August 2017
This discussion has been closed.