As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad Food Thread] How To Cook Durian For Forty Humans

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Hmm. I think I'd rather have an over-easy egg on a slice of toast.

Edit: I was kind of hoping toast soldiers were a little more literal. Like toast stamped with a little soldier mold.

jgeis on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Hmm. I think I'd rather have an over-easy egg on a slice of toast.

egg in a basket is a great way to combine them (made famous in V for Vendetta)

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Where do we stand on which name is better, Eggs in a basket or Toad in a hole

• Options

Not a fan of Spit in the Ocean I take it?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Toad in a hole is superior.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Toad in the Hole is a different thing, where I'm from. It involves sausages.

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Not a fan of Spit in the Ocean I take it?
    There are apparently a lot of names for this i didn't know!

Spit in the Ocean is not my favorite but it definitely has one over on One Eyed Jack

• Options
    edited July 2017
    tynic wrote: »
    Toad in the Hole is a different thing, where I'm from. It involves sausages.

....ayyyy?

bowen on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Egg in a Basket at least makes sense

Toad in a Hole is bad

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Egg in a basket is too mundane.

How about Gold in the Tooth?

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    When I make Toad in a Hole I like to sprinkle Brewer's Yeast, also known as Nutritional Yeast on the pan where the egg will sit, then on top of it once it's in the hole. Basically do that with all fried eggs, it makes such a tasty coating.

• Options
    Ovum in the Gluten
    yes I know they're not ovum

• Options
    Ichor in the Wound

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I don't even like eggs that much. When I have them it is over medium with probably too much salt.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    V for Vendetta was good for one thing, teaching me what a toad in a hole was, and how to make them.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    My grandfather had an egg cup and I even saw him use it a few times! Definitely rare though. You could find one in the US to buy, but you'd have to really search for it.

• Options
    I'm pretty confident Williams Sonoma would carry them but that's about the only place I can think of.

And who wants to pay $60 for a single egg cup?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Toad in the hole made me remember a song then the band that sung it then other things
    Now I want something I cannot get

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    V for Vendetta was good for one thing, teaching me what a toad in a hole was, and how to make them.

Except that really isn't what toad in the hole is. Well, sort of not. It's definitely not what toad in the hole is in England which makes that scene all the more baffling.

• Options
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Except that really isn't what toad in the hole is. Well, sort of not. It's definitely not what toad in the hole is in England which makes that scene all the more baffling.

V specifically called it "Eggies in a Basket", so he was specifically referring to eggs fried in toast (which is what he was cooking).

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

V specifically called it "Eggies in a Basket", so he was specifically referring to eggs fried in toast (which is what he was cooking).

nope that's also bullshit

there's a (possibly apocryphal) story about this being the thing that made Alan Moore wash his hands of the adaptation

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

there's a (possibly apocryphal) story about this being the thing that made Alan Moore wash his hands of the adaptation

Wait what's the problem?

That is literally what he was making and that's what he said.

Are you arguing the original comic was "toads in a hole" or something?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    The absolute best egg is deviled. The second best is fried, sunny-side up, with a super runny yolk.

Where on the list do Scotch Eggs fall?
    Cause a boiled egg, coated in sausage and bread crumbs then deep fried is a pretty tasty thing that I might put above deviled eggs.
    But then, I've had some wildly mediocre deviled eggs in the past.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Ataxrxes wrote: »
    Over the weekend I ate pretty terribly. On Saturday I worked outside doing manual labor for a few hours so when it was time to eat we decided to hit up Dirty Oscar's Annex and I had a sandwich called "The Stoner." Fried chicken, parmesan tots (these are actually potato mixed with cheese that they make themselves omg) feta, onion, chimichurri aioli, pico de gallo on a pretzel bun. This sandwich was dense and so delicious. That was the only meal I ate that day. On Sunday, I had what is so far my favorite burger in the Tacoma area from Spanky Burger and Brew. I'm not really sure what their secret is but I knew pretty much instantly that it was the best burger I'd tried so far. I know there are a few of you in this thread that are in the Tacoma/Fife area. Any opinions on best burger?

@Zonugal

You asked for it Ataxrxes!

chromdom on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I grew up calling Eggs in a Basket "bullseyes."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Eat all the eggs. They're all good. Except when you ruin them with hollandaise, but that's not the egg's fault, that's just you being a monster.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Poached eggs are great

• Options
    I don't think there's a bad way to make an egg

I even like pickled eggs, which i understand may be controversial

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    My wife calls eggs fried in a slice of bread "Egyptian Toast"

I grew up calling them toads in a hole

Foods have different names in different places, guys, it's not really a problem.

• Options
    #pipe wrote: »

Foods have different names in different places, guys, it's not really a problem.

Oh, sure, it's all 'fine' until I serve up some cane toads stuffed in a donut and suddenly everyone is all "wait this wasn't what I expected!" and "is this legal??"

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    chromdom wrote: »
    Ataxrxes wrote: »
    Over the weekend I ate pretty terribly. On Saturday I worked outside doing manual labor for a few hours so when it was time to eat we decided to hit up Dirty Oscar's Annex and I had a sandwich called "The Stoner." Fried chicken, parmesan tots (these are actually potato mixed with cheese that they make themselves omg) feta, onion, chimichurri aioli, pico de gallo on a pretzel bun. This sandwich was dense and so delicious. That was the only meal I ate that day. On Sunday, I had what is so far my favorite burger in the Tacoma area from Spanky Burger and Brew. I'm not really sure what their secret is but I knew pretty much instantly that it was the best burger I'd tried so far. I know there are a few of you in this thread that are in the Tacoma/Fife area. Any opinions on best burger?

@Zonugal

You asked for it Ataxrxes!

@Ataxrxes, I grew up in the Milton/Fife area and currently work for the city of Fife.

So with that out of the way...

Pick Quick

Go to Pick Quick (bring cash, they only take cash) and get yourself the best damn burger in Washington state.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular

oh, it's a problem

it's a secret plot to confuse us

so we'll all be so busy trying to figure out what to call eggs in bread that we won't notice as the secret cabal of alien doppelgangers take over the earth

of course, you wouldn't know anything about Alien Doppelgangers

would you.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

Wait what's the problem?

it is my understanding that that food isn't called either "eggs in a basket" or "eggy in a basket" by anyone in England (at least according to alan moore)

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Maybe V was an immigrant.

tynic on
  • Options
    I don't think there's a bad way to make an egg

I even like pickled eggs, which i understand may be controversial

No, pickled eggs are delicious. I've made several batches. Give me all the pickled things.

• Options

Wait what's the problem?

it is my understanding that that food isn't called either "eggs in a basket" or "eggy in a basket" by anyone in England (at least according to alan moore)

I think "egg with a hat" is the US term for it

Also alan moore probably isn't a great source for much

• Options

Wait what's the problem?

At this point pretty much every name I have ever heard for that dish has been shot down as not a name for that dish, and the ones that supposedly ARE for that dish, I've never heard before. What is even happening? The Great EGG/Toast Controversy of 2017.

• Options
    Is Alan Moore a food historian or something tho?

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    The absolute best egg is deviled. The second best is fried, sunny-side up, with a super runny yolk.

Where on the list do Scotch Eggs fall?
    Cause a boiled egg, coated in sausage and bread crumbs then deep fried is a pretty tasty thing that I might put above deviled eggs.
    But then, I've had some wildly mediocre deviled eggs in the past.

Scotch eggs are near the top for me, because its almost impossible to screw them up. But good deviled eggs are divine.

Take the yolks, mix them with salt, pepper, finely chopped sweet pickles, a little bit of mayo and a little bit of the pickle juice. Whip it up, heap it back in the egg halves. Give them a dash of paprika on top.

Im salivating now.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

oh, it's a problem

it's a secret plot to confuse us

so we'll all be so busy trying to figure out what to call eggs in bread that we won't notice as the secret cabal of alien doppelgangers take over the earth

of course, you wouldn't know anything about Alien Doppelgangers

would you.

Where I grew up, we called the alien doppelgangers "toads in the hole."

Different strokes!

GDdCWMm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.