As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moving out!

KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas.Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
edited July 2017 in Help / Advice Forum
Finally moving out of my dad's at the end of the month. Already have a great place scouted, that's more affordable than anywhere else in the area, hammied down from an ex co-worker, and I'm going to sign the lease on Monday.

Anyone have any tips for me? xFinity or Fios?(Need atleast 50 25 Mbps for streaming, would like HBO but not necessary) Ways to save money on utilities around the apartment? Cheap, but healthy meals? Easy methods of acquiring furniture? "Etcetera, etcetera."

KoopahTroopah on

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Internet may be limited by who provides within your area and what speeds they offer. A house on one side of the street could be eligible for the turbospeed option while the one right across the way might only be able to get a connection that is somewhat slower than an apathetic turtle.

Furniture can be had at your local flea market or charity shop (Salvation Army/Goodwill/etc) for less than what you'd pay for something new. Quality varies though. Also check Craigslist and classified ads for people who might want to chuck their furniture because they're moving.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I have 15 mbps and stream down at 1080p on multiple devices without lag, so maybe evaluate your needs there?

I'm still getting a solid grip on my meal budget, but have found that even getting good ingredients at a grocery store, the meal you make will be cheaper than the meal you buy.
    Furniture other than chairs and beds I would be fine getting secondhand. Mattresses, sofas, and lounge chairs I wouldn't risk it.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Ways to save money on utilities around the apartment?
    Don't use electricity if you don't need to.
    Cheap, but healthy meals?
    http://lbveg.com/freebook.php
    Easy methods of acquiring furniture?
    Sometimes people leave stuff out by the dumpster/the curb. Craigslist is also good/

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Get a crockpot. You can make a bunch of great meals easily, and will feed you for a good couple of days.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I have 15 mbps and stream down at 1080p on multiple devices without lag, so maybe evaluate your needs there?

Yeah I guess you're right. 25 would be fine. What settings do you use? My bit rate output is around 3500 for a 60fps 1080p downsized to 720p. Usually stream action-y games so I try to keep the bit rate high to remove grains.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Yeah I guess you're right. 25 would be fine. What settings do you use? My bit rate output is around 3500 for a 1080p downsized to 720p. Usually stream action-y games so I try to keep the bit rate high to remove grains.

Remember that if you're streaming it's up not down and the differences there.
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Get a crockpot. You can make a bunch of great meals easily, and will feed you for a good couple of days.

I'd say insta-pot at this point. Can do the crockpot thing and so much more.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Ikea is known as the home of starter furniture for a reason. It's usually pretty cheap, reasonably solid, looks decent, and is very replaceable in 5 years when you decide you need a change.

Get a good toolbox with a variety of flat, phillips, and hex screwdrivers; a hammer; a rubber mallet; a tape measure; and some round-headed nails (for hanging things on the walls, if your apartment allows it).

Don't feel like you need to furnish every room the exact moment you move in. It's okay to have a, uh, for lack of a better term, "room without a light" while you decide what needs to go in there.

Get some decent cooking equipment - there are usually "starter sets" of pots and pans, but at a minimum you'll want two pots (large and small), two pans (large and medium), a cutting board (decent size), a pair of spatulas (rubber), and a good variety of plates, bowls, and silverware. If you're a coffee addict, definitely get a good coffee pot, too. A decent knife set - steak knives, bread knife, carving knife, and santoku knife - is also a good thing to have. Absolutely yes to the crock pot suggestion; so many good meals and drinks come out of crock pots.

Keep your house clean on a daily basis, so that shit doesn't pile up; once you get behind, it's really hard to keep up when you have more space to take care of.

Do you have a communal laundry area, or does your apartment have its own laundry machines?

Congrats, @KoopahTroopah !

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah if you're actually streaming from your device you'll want upload speeds. A lot of internet providers are asymmetrical because most users want download and not upload. You might need to pay more for what you're looking to do.

But 10 Mbit/sec should be able handle hosting of streams.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

Yeah I guess you're right. 25 would be fine. What settings do you use? My bit rate output is around 3500 for a 1080p downsized to 720p. Usually stream action-y games so I try to keep the bit rate high to remove grains.

I've been streaming since around 2008, up to snuff on streaming stuff. Thanks for the reminder though!

There's a difference between an insta-pot and a crockpot? What is it? :redface:

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Excellent suggestions from Elvenshae

Congrats, KoopahTroopah !

It's a communal laundry for eight different apartments. Probably the only real downside of the place that I've seen so far.

Thanks for the suggestions!

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Buy a Toilet plunger before you need one.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    bowen wrote: »
    Yeah if you're actually streaming from your device you'll want upload speeds. A lot of internet providers are asymmetrical because most users want download and not upload. You might need to pay more for what you're looking to do.

Not to get too far off track but 10 Mbit/sec seems really, really low. I'd really like to see OBS settings and examples of streams that run at a high quality level at those speeds.
    Ken O wrote: »
    Buy a Toilet plunger before you need one.

Oof. An excellent idea. Thanks.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Find ways to make use of vertical space. Bookshelves, wire shelves that can be placed over a toilet, command strips, etc.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

Not to get too far off track but 10 Mbit/sec seems really, really low. I'd really like to see OBS settings and examples of streams that run at a high quality level at those speeds.

I'm strictly speaking about the raw requirements. It's a function of codec/bit-rate and the size of the data, 1080p@30fps itself, with a good codec(H.264), doesn't require much more than 5-10 MBit/sec. You'll probably want some wiggle room, but 10 Mbit upload is your barest of minimums unless you plan to do other things at the same time besides streaming from a device.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Also, get a bellows plunger instead of a normal cheapo plunger.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

I've been streaming since around 2008, up to snuff on streaming stuff. Thanks for the reminder though!

There's a difference between an insta-pot and a crockpot? What is it? :redface:

Cool, the previous comment wasn't super clear on that and would hate for you to get into a contract that doesn't work for ya.

An Instapot will function as a Pressure Cooker, Rice Cooker, Slow Cooker plus like 3 other probably never use things. Oh, one of them is it can sear meat which cuts down on pans if you make a stew/chili in there without dirtying other pots. I've seen them for around like 70 or so which is more than just a crock pot but it puts a bunch more functionality into the same form factor so I think it's worth the price on that.

Also buy a good chef knife if you're going to cook for yourself. Good doesn't have to be expensive. Stuff like a Victorinox are solid knives that are usually reasonably priced. Amazon is currently at 50 but I know I bought one earlier this year for around 30.

Edit: Psykoma's comment is the previous one I meant.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    You're going to have friends and family asking to give you stuff. Have them either go in together or splurge for a crock pot or instapot. It's a long shot, but see what cooking supplies (incl. crock pot type stuff) you can find at Goodwill/Salvation Army. Basically start with enough supplies to be able to make pasta, some sort of egg dish, and cook meat.

When you change your address at USPS, you should receive a "moving packet" (for lack of a better term). If not, you can get them at the post office. They've got various moving related coupons you'll find useful. Also, get yourself acquainted where the closes Lowe's and HD stores are. They will be your friends. If you don't have a drill yet, pick up one for under $60 (start first at a thrift store and work out from there).

If you're so inclined to paint, Lowe's/HD have paint sales twice a year. I don't remember when they are, but I want to say the next sale is around September. Also, you're going to spend more than you think is right on weird incidentals like trashcans, clothes hangers, cleaning supplies, and the like.

Food:
    Produce that's in season is very cheap. For example, I can get peaches and other tree fruit for under $2/lb right now. During off-season, not only are they worse quality, they are much more expensive; if they are even available. If you don't know yet, try to get an idea of what food staples cost (for example, I won't buy a loaf of bread unless it's under $2; and boxes of pasta should be $1 or less) and keep an eye out for sales. The weekly grocery flyers offer a lot of great savings if you're willing to do some work.

The key to minimizing food expenses is to decide on a menu for a given week ahead of time, and buy supplies for those meals. You can leave 1-2 days as "out" days, or for doing things like ordering take-out. When my wife and I first tried this, we picked three meals that we would have every week (ham + mac'n'cheese, pasta and sauce, and...something else I can't remember), then filled in recipes for the rest of the week.

Focus on weekly sales to tailor your menu, and don't be afraid to stock up when some really solid sales show up (for example, we recently had pasta on sale for 88c per box if you bought at least 10 boxes).

There are some recipes in the various food threads here, and you can also get some really good advice on Reddit.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    As far as cheap recipes go, my wife and I have found Budget Bytes to be pretty good.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Get yourself a nice shower rod and curtain. You don't want whatever is left by the previous tenent with all their slime still on it.

A rod with a curve in it is a nice simple splurge item that will make your bathroom feel bigger and better. Example: InterDesign Wall Mount Curved Bathroom Shower Curtain Rod - 41-72", Bronze https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CS57CC4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_oD.xzbFFS6J60

A dremel tool with a nice variety of attachments is great to have available so you can do all sorts of grinding, sanding, cleaning, polishing, drilling at a moment's notice.

If your new place has it, find out what type of filter your air blower needs and change it immediately and on schedule going forward.

Same with if there is a water softener, make sure that is kept up with softener salt.

Get some window film to apply to your windows to help with temperature control and therefore utility bills.

That's just off the top of my head. Congratulations and good luck!

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I don't think you need a dremel living in an apartment unless you are super crafty or handy. But they aren't super expensive, so it won't hurt.

I would absolutely get a cordless drill though. That's just the first power tool everyone needs. My dad bought me one when I moved because he said he knew I would be borrowing his every couple weeks otherwise, and he was right.

Make a check list of all the cleaning you need to do and check it all off once a week. I find a paper list works best because you can't just open another tab and watch a youtube video when you're looking at a notebook.

• Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Keeping things minimalist is key, do NOT let yourself get cluttered down. Almost everyone makes this mistake, myself included, things really tend to pile up before you know it. Dont just stuff things in the closet and think you'll deal with it later, I still have a 360 box in mine, and I bought that 9 years ago. Clothes that dont fit, goodwill, throw out what you cant give away or sell.

Like mentioned above, cheap food is also important. Stock up on pasta and rice, they're almost infinetly variable, you can add pretty much whatever you want to them and it's a meal. Buy bulk when possible, especially dry goods and soda and stuff like that.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I've never had a serious problem with FiOS ever and would recommend it if it were available to you.

Healthy is in the eye of the beholder but one of my favorite meals when I was flying solo...

Buy a roasted chicken from the grocery store with a side, have that one night, next night pick off what's left and make a soup with it (w/ soup mix)

roughly $12 investment can be easily stretched into 4 meals if you dont mind eating the same thing a few times in a row...

• Options
    JdNoaJdNoa Registered User regular
    Get yourself a stash of food storage containers - Ikea Jamka, Ziploc containers, something like that - that way when you make a big batch of something awesome like chili or pasta you can freeze some.

If you have a window ledge / balcony you can probably grow basic herbs to make your food more awesome for cheaper than you can buy them at the store, depending on how much sun you get and whether you remember to water them occasionally.

Older apartments sometimes have older wiring; when I first moved out I kept blowing the kitchen fuse by having the toaster and kettle on at the same time. Oh, and it's useful to know where your fuse box / circuit breaker panel is.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Grab a notebook and start recording all the stuff you use and how often you use it and reverse all the hangers in your closet and flip them back when you wear them. By the end of the month you will know what to get for the new place so you aren't running out to the store every other day and what cloths and random stuff in your closet might not be worth packing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Look into renter's insurance if you haven't already.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Oh yeah so shit you need you haven't thought about. These are good items to guilt your parents into giving you.

Shower curtain
    Lamps (I know the exposed bulb twisty lamp is cheap but it is a fire hazard)
    Bath mat
    Costco membership
    Cookware

Also make sure where you are going too has blinds or curtains.

zepherin on
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Utilities:

You are probably going to get stuck with whatever the apartment complex is wired for internet and cable wise, though some do offer some options. Even if there's multiple providers available to the area, most apartments I've lived in (or toured to live in) only offered one. That might be something to ask about before you sign your lease.

To save on utilities you could cut the cord (if your internet is fast enough to support that). In my first apartment I got the most basic of basic cable options through Comcast because it for some reason made my internet cheaper, and I don't think I ever turned it on. Just survived off Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. You could also pick up HBO either à la cart of through Hulu and it'd probably be cheaper ($15) than going up to whatever cable package you'd need to get it since that package would probably also cointain 50+ channels that you wouldn't care about.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Utilities:

You are probably going to get stuck with whatever the apartment complex is wired for internet and cable wise, though some do offer some options. Even if there's multiple providers available to the area, most apartments I've lived in (or toured to live in) only offered one. That might be something to ask about before you sign your lease.

To save on utilities you could cut the cord (if your internet is fast enough to support that). In my first apartment I got the most basic of basic cable options through Comcast because it for some reason made my internet cheaper, and I don't think I ever turned it on. Just survived off Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. You could also pick up HBO either à la cart of through Hulu and it'd probably be cheaper ($15) than going up to whatever cable package you'd need to get it since that package would probably also cointain 50+ channels that you wouldn't care about.

The last tenant said that she gets ads for Verizon all the time even though she used Comcast, so I assume I have the choice for either. My dad previously had Comcast almost 10 years ago and it was a nightmare, and Verizon has been fantastic ever since we got it. If I can get a good Verizon deal, I want to do that. It looks like their only options for internet are 50/50 or their 1Gbit. I could get just 50/50 internet for $50 a month + $125 one time service fee. xFinity has a very interesting deal of 100/100 for $70 a month + $60 one time service fee that includes HBO and 100 other standard channels (Comedy Central, AMC, Nick, Cartoon Network, etc...) and it comes with a $50 pre-paid VISA card. I think I might go with that since doing the 50/50 + HBO on Amazon would be around $65 a month anyway.
    Look into renter's insurance if you haven't already.

Definitely on top of that already. Thanks.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Just because a cable provider is sending ads to an apartment doesn't necessarily mean you can actually get their service there. I've lived in multiple complexes where at&t would send me advertising but I could only get Cox.

And double check the fine print on any price you see advertised as that's normally an introductory offer for a year and the price goes up after that. You might be able to call and work with support to get it brought back down but it'll require leg work on your part and may not work.

• Options
    xThanatoSxxThanatoSx Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Just because a cable provider is sending ads to an apartment doesn't necessarily mean you can actually get their service there. I've lived in multiple complexes where at&t would send me advertising but I could only get Cox.

100% accurate.

A lot of times an apartment complex will have an exclusive contract with a specific provider for service. When I had my apartment many moons ago, it was exclusively Comcast even though AT&T was available in the area.

If you actually have a choice in the complex, consider yourself very very lucky.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Fios is pretty great.

Best internet I ever had.
    Comcast isn't bad, it's what I have now.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Fios is the better product just based on the infrastructure. Whatever xFinity calls itself, it's not actual fiber to the premise, while Fios is fiber to the premise. That last mile of fiber will generally save you on a lot of headaches.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Don't forget to bring toilet paper to the new place! Seems obvious, but it's an easy thing to overloook.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    You are really obsessing over your internet. Chill out. Your first home won't be perfect. Count yourself lucky if you can just get decent internet as opposed to Comcast shit. You sound like you are planning to spend every spare minute online. Nope. Dad won't be cooking and cleaning any more, so you need to spend some time on that every day, or else your apartment will turn into a stinky mess and you'll make yourself sick eating junk food.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Some people rely on their internet connection to be stable for their livelihoods. Not just dicking around all day.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    SteevL wrote: »
    Don't forget to bring toilet paper to the new place! Seems obvious, but it's an easy thing to overloook.

TP, hand soap, paper towels,and some kitchen towels are good things to have handy right away yep. And trash bags.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    So It Goes wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »

TP, hand soap, paper towels,and some kitchen towels are good things to have handy right away yep. And trash bags.

Second the trash bags.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    You are really obsessing over your internet. Chill out. Your first home won't be perfect. Count yourself lucky if you can just get decent internet as opposed to Comcast shit. You sound like you are planning to spend every spare minute online. Nope. Dad won't be cooking and cleaning any more, so you need to spend some time on that every day, or else your apartment will turn into a stinky mess and you'll make yourself sick eating junk food.

We really don't know the role his internet usage and requirements play in his life and he's demonstrated knowledge well beyond what would be required to sit on his ass and play Diablo 3 all day, so how about we can it with the sass. I think he'll be fine even if he's fussy about his internet and needs advice on how to eat cheaply but well.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Advice on cooking food is much more to the point. Internet is largely decided by your location, thanks to America's de facto internet monopolies.

• Options
    He is asking about internet so it's plenty on topic, but your dig at his ability to take care of himself because of his focus on his internet in this thread is not. We have someone who actually has experience working for a provider in here answering questions as well, so I consider this a fantastic time and place for those questions. I don't want to see any more comments about this from you here. If you have a problem with that you may kindly take it to PMs.