As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fortnite] Sprint forever!

KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
edited March 2018 in Games and Technology
https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/home

d5y4s7ep9wqd.jpg

PvE Cinematic Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfSX9mds9Xg

PvE Gameplay Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZWg4iXp_lE

Battle Royale Announcement Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K4T0nGU4pg

Battle Royale Gameplay Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gUtfBmw86Y

Four Classes in PvE: Outlander (gathering/exploring), Solider (big guns), Ninja (ninja!), and Constructor (builder)

sp13psuhve2m.jpg

Fortnite PvE is in Early Access. essentially a buy-in closed beta. It'll be Free to Play in 2018.
Fortnite PvP (Battle Royale mode) is also Early Access but it's Free to Play!

Standard Edition for PvE Early Access is $40:
https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/buy-now/standard

The game is available on PC, PS4, and Xbox One. No cross-platform available, but you can get cross-progression between PC and PS4 (not Xbox). More FAQs here:
https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/faq

Add your username if you want to find other PA folks in-game!

PA Fortnite Usernames Google Doc:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nk4rD0fVvx3AIUY_FLE7Uasx_FQY11sauZmW3JQchBk/edit?usp=sharing

PvE Guides:

Whitesushi's Fortnite Loadout (Mega Spreadsheet Guide)

Visual Guide to Loot

Guide to Crafting Materials

Kylindra on

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    im so very much in

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I like co-op and tower defense, so color me interested

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Not quite sure this is Tower Defense?

Feels more like a class based Minecraft with a much more focused night-time defense mode.

Looks like a blast!

• Options
    Been trying to find a good gameplay video, this is the best one I've found so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay7igm0f3cI

• Options
    ky13ky13 Registered User regular
    Eternity_Sky-banner-4.png
    Hey, it's me, Teldra! Did someone say "greatsword"? [Eternity]
  • Options
    I will le snipe. (outlander)

Such hype. So game.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Not quite sure this is Tower Defense?

Feels more like a class based Minecraft with a much more focused night-time defense mode.

Looks like a blast!

It's been ages since I've played in the alpha/beta, but I remember the defense mode reminding me a bit of Orcs Must Die!

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Oh.

That gameplay video showed me open worldly maps, with smashing, looting, zombie-killing, and crafting equipment with stats.

Oh dear

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Aegis wrote: »
    Oh.

That gameplay video showed me open worldly maps, with smashing, looting, zombie-killing, and crafting equipment with stats.

Oh dear

Its everything we feared

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I still won't believe this game exists until I am playing it.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    It even solves coop craft games looting issues.

RE ifo you both harvest a mat together- YOU BOTH GET THE SAME FULL AMOUNT OF MATS meaning coop gathering is a boon not a detriment.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    So glad I should have my new machine before this EA launch.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    The Big LevinskyThe Big Levinsky Registered User regular
    I've been looking at a lot of stuff about this game because it ticks off a lot of boxes that I'm super into. Co-op, building, loot, progression... from what I've seen I'd describe it as Orcs Must Die with just a generous side of Diablo and hint of minecraft. While you do get a home base that you can customize and is permanent, mostly you'll be building disposable, temporary forts.

Lately I've been concerned about some of the criticism that I've seen crop in a couple articles that I've read - particularly that the game play seems samey and repetitive. I can kind of see that from all the videos I've been watching.

First, the classes all seem to play the same. When the horde comes in earnest everyone is standing on ledges and shooting basically the same weapons into the horde. Even the ninja, which is supposed to be a close combat class I see just shooting into the crowd most times. I don't think there are class based weapon restrictions plus, a lot of abilities are on huge 4+ minute cooldowns.

I didn't see any mechanic that encouraged team play much. It's all hands on deck when the horde starts but everyone is sort of off on their own shooting. I didn't see anything like Left 4 Dead where you have to rescue each other or manage resources or like in Destiny where you can generate orbs for allies. Once class has a team buff they can do on a cooldown but that's it.

The traps don't look particularly imaginative either. They all seem to be variations on spike traps that sometimes stick to walls or ceilings. Not everything is literally spikes, but all the traps seem to be "enemy walks by, enemy gets damaged" sort of traps. I didn't see anything like in Orcs Must Die with spring loaded traps, slows, bleeds, stuns, confuses etc.

The build system they have looks ingenious with a lot of opportunities to make some cool looking stuff without getting minecraft complicated. I'm pretty worried though that there won't be a lot of cause to actually use it on missions. The levels are procedurally generated and there are no environmental hazards to take advantage of so I'm worried that people will just bust out the most efficient builds on every maps: build a box around the objective, some stairs to get to the roof, then just a sea of spike traps in all directions.

Despite all my reservations though, I'm still seriously considering paying for early access. I love the Pixar zombie move aesthetic and despite the gameplay looking somewhat shallow now, I can still see myself getting a lot of hours out of this. The devs have said in interviews that they want this to be a living game with tons of special events and frequent content drops. That's encouraging but I haven't heard anything specific on it other than that's what's planned.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    So, Fortnite's PC release is not on Steam, but through Epic's own launcher?

This is me, less than enthused.

Characters
  • Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    this game tempts me so

and yet...

also I think Epic Games is doing themselves a disservice by trying to have their own game launcher (exclusively) - for example, the UT community is small and would benefit from reaching a wider audience, I think. I've never played Paragon but I think they could use the population boost, too - still, it's probably not too healthy to have Steam be a near monopoly on the PC gaming library client thing

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    I would have accepted direct download as an alternative if they didn't want to go with Steam.

Characters
  • Options
    I want to temper my earlier negative assertions about the game. After looking at a few more videos it seems like there are more varied mission types than just build a fort and survive. I saw a mission where the players had to build a railroad system and defend a hovertub (literally a bathtub that hovers) while it followed the railway and made supply pickups. They didn't have to just build defenses around the railway, they had to build the rails themselves. I thought that was pretty neat.

The classes do have some unique elements that set them apart. The ninja can have a blade dash on a 8 second cooldown that looks really fun.

For teamwork, there is a monster that will hold a player helpless and eventually eat them if they are not rescued. Beyond that I'm still not seeing a whole lot of synergy for working together but it's better than I thought.

I've seen at least one physics trap that pops monster up in the air. In one of their twitch streams they used them to bounce husks off an angled overhang which made them ricochet backwards onto a spike trap. They also mentioned that zombies that get knocked into the air like that get a defense debuff so they do have a bit of a trap combo system.

I also underestimated how important the player's persistent home base is. I thought it was like a side thing because most of the streams I saw were of missions. Turns out, defending your home fort is how you progress in the game. You run missions to acquire loot, resources and levels so you have a base capable of withstanding a huge assault. In order to progress to the next zone, you need to upgrade your base's Storm Shield four times. Each time you upgrade you have to withstand five waves of husks that occur in rapid succession. From what I've seen, the Storm Shield missions are much harder than regular missions and pretty much require you have a well constructed base or friends or both.

So yeah, even more psyched for the game.

• Options
    How does the home base thing work out? Is it a separate lobby area thing that you go back to in between missions?

Characters
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Preordered it on the PS4 :biggrin:

So many heroes/weapons/defenders/survivors to level, such big skill trees, and stuff to gather and build, yup, I'm in!

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    How does the home base thing work out? Is it a separate lobby area thing that you go back to in between missions?

From what I gather it's its own zone that you go to that is private to the player. You can let other people in to help you with your storm shield missions. If you invite randos to help, you can restrict their permissions so they can't build or destroy anything. I don't think you get attacked there until you choose to start the storm shield upgrade missions.

The "outpost" as they call it also has a couple other functions. There's a vault, you can upgrade your harvesting tool, transmute resources (thought it sounds like there's a real time wait) and a workbench that let's you craft things more efficiently than if you craft in the field? Not too sure about that last one.

I got most of this info from the first 10 minutes or so of their Online Test 6 from December of last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWzmw6KZWM0

The Big Levinsky on
  • Options

From what I gather it's its own zone that you go to that is private to the player. You can let other people in to help you with your storm shield missions. If you invite randos to help, you can restrict their permissions so they can't build or destroy anything. I don't think you get attacked there until you choose to start the storm shield upgrade missions.

The "outpost" as they call it also has a couple other functions. There's a vault, you can upgrade your harvesting tool, transmute resources (thought it sounds like there's a real time wait) and a workbench that let's you craft things more efficiently than if you craft in the field? Not too sure about that last one.

I got most of this info from the first 10 minutes or so of their Online Test 6 from December of this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWzmw6KZWM0

ooo

what else happens in the next five months

:P

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular

So many heroes/weapons/defenders/survivors to level, such big skill trees, and stuff to gather and build, yup, I'm in!
    I've pre-ordered it on the PC, but it looks like if you buy on the PC you also get the PS4 version for free AND progression on both platforms transfer across to each other! (No cross-platform play though.) So I'll be able to play on the PS4 normally, and join up with PC friends that come to visit (ie @ky13)

26904.png
  • Options
    I also underestimated how important the player's persistent home base is. I thought it was like a side thing because most of the streams I saw were of missions. Turns out, defending your home fort is how you progress in the game. You run missions to acquire loot, resources and levels so you have a base capable of withstanding a huge assault. In order to progress to the next zone, you need to upgrade your base's Storm Shield four times. Each time you upgrade you have to withstand five waves of husks that occur in rapid succession. From what I've seen, the Storm Shield missions are much harder than regular missions and pretty much require you have a well constructed base or friends or both.

So yeah, even more psyched for the game.

I hadn't seen that before, and if anything I am EVEN MORE excited now! Oh man. A persistent home base that you defend in wave events? To which you can invite your friends? And upgrade with stuff you get on missions? That's like my dream scenario!

You guys. I can't handle this. It's too wonderful.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Just created my Epic account. Name is Teldra. Send friend requests!

Oh yeah, also just preordered the Limited Edition. 200 extra inventory slots, wooo!

ky13 on
  • Options
    Stupid wrote: »

I've pre-ordered it on the PC, but it looks like if you buy on the PC you also get the PS4 version for free AND progression on both platforms transfer across to each other! (No cross-platform play though.) So I'll be able to play on the PS4 normally, and join up with PC friends that come to visit (ie @ky13)

Is there more information on this somewhere?
    Just pre-ordered the "Super Deluxe" edition for PC.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular

From the official FAQ at https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/faq
    Q:If I purchase a Founder's Pack on your website, can I play on PlayStation 4?
    A:In order to gain access on PlayStation 4, players must link their Epic + PSN accounts. Link your accounts here.
    And while this is a bit vauge, it was clarified by a customer support question and copied to https://www.reddit.com/r/FORTnITE/comments/6kl963/pc_copy_with_ps4_purchase/djn0vlg/
    "Thanks for contacting Epic Games Player Support.
    If you’re planning on playing Fortnite on a console, please keep the following details in mind!
    PS4: If you purchased a Founder’s Pack on our Pre-Order Page or were awarded one as part of the Alpha Explorer’s Promotion, you can play on PS4 and PC by linking your PSN ID to your Epic Games Account. This will also work in reverse if you have instead purchased on PS4. You can link your accounts here.
    Xbox One: Crossplay is not available for Xbox One. Players who want to play on Xbox One will need to purchase Fortnite on the Xbox Live Marketplace. Xbox One players will also need to have an active Xbox Live Gold subscription to play Fortnite.
    If you have additional questions about Fortnite Early Access and are a current participant in the alpha, check out our Forum FAQ."

26904.png
  • Options
    Awesome, thanks very much,

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Do I need to link anything if I purchased a founder's pack on PSN? I bought the deluxe thingy a while ago, but there's no preorder countdown thing in my game library.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options

From the official FAQ at https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/faq
    Q:If I purchase a Founder's Pack on your website, can I play on PlayStation 4?
    A:In order to gain access on PlayStation 4, players must link their Epic + PSN accounts. Link your accounts here.
    And while this is a bit vauge, it was clarified by a customer support question and copied to https://www.reddit.com/r/FORTnITE/comments/6kl963/pc_copy_with_ps4_purchase/djn0vlg/
    "Thanks for contacting Epic Games Player Support.
    If you’re planning on playing Fortnite on a console, please keep the following details in mind!
    PS4: If you purchased a Founder’s Pack on our Pre-Order Page or were awarded one as part of the Alpha Explorer’s Promotion, you can play on PS4 and PC by linking your PSN ID to your Epic Games Account. This will also work in reverse if you have instead purchased on PS4. You can link your accounts here.
    Xbox One: Crossplay is not available for Xbox One. Players who want to play on Xbox One will need to purchase Fortnite on the Xbox Live Marketplace. Xbox One players will also need to have an active Xbox Live Gold subscription to play Fortnite.
    If you have additional questions about Fortnite Early Access and are a current participant in the alpha, check out our Forum FAQ."

BE STILL MY HEART

• Options
    edited July 2017
    mojojoeo on pc
    xmojojoeox on ps4

Im in both places. Im world wide.

doomybear wrote: »
    this game tempts me so

and yet...

also I think Epic Games is doing themselves a disservice by trying to have their own game launcher (exclusively) - for example, the UT community is small and would benefit from reaching a wider audience, I think. I've never played Paragon but I think they could use the population boost, too - still, it's probably not too healthy to have Steam be a near monopoly on the PC gaming library client thing

that ship has sailed- people really will go where the games they want to play are, and its been proven out with numbers (ea games didn't take much of a hit jumping to origin; uplay plays with steam but ubi is having a record year on the uplay platform). And to be honest going far forwards Steam may be in trouble. The developers and publishers can cut out the middle man this way- its hard to argue the folks making the games, who slave over it- don't deserve as much as they can get. As more companies set this up.... steam will have a AAA to AA content drought. leaving you with a whole lot of crap games and a whole lot of diamonds in that rough.

Its much the way pay tv is going vs netflix/hulu. The content makers are now making their own platforms. "Pay us at cbsdirect to see star trek" as a real world example. It was inevitable in a digital world.... having a middle man doesn't make sense.

The good news? Eventually -> Halflife 3, left for dead 3, team fortress 3, etc etc. Look at Netflix and Hulu- now they produce content to combat the above. The only way valve survives on a long enough timeline is to do the same.

tldr- dont hate on epic for having a launcher/store front- its what is best for them to continue producing games long term.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    Another decent game play video that I found. Good highlight of what can go right and what can go wrong in a mission with minimal obnoxiousness and a passable understanding of the game:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEmsyQ5CTj0
    Also shows some of the pre-mission loadout screens and some of the other mechanics like research and skill trees.

Unfortunately it also shows that the loot from treasure chests is distinctly not shared which is a bummer because it discourages team play. I'd rather go off on my own and scavenge and not have to compete for chests with randos. A very weird design choice for a modern loot game when Destiny and Diablo 3 have shown that player specific loot drops works extremely well. Seems to me like they'd want to make random matchmaking as rewarding, non-competitive and un-grief-able as possible.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    mojojoeo on pc
    xmojojoeox on ps4

this game tempts me so

and yet...

that ship has sailed- people really will go where the games they want to play are, and its been proven out with numbers (ea games didn't take much of a hit jumping to origin; uplay plays with steam but ubi is having a record year on the uplay platform). And to be honest going far forwards Steam may be in trouble. The developers and publishers can cut out the middle man this way- its hard to argue the folks making the games, who slave over it- don't deserve as much as they can get. As more companies set this up.... steam will have a AAA to AA content drought. leaving you with a whole lot of crap games and a whole lot of diamonds in that rough.

Its much the way pay tv is going vs netflix/hulu. The content makers are now making their own platforms. "Pay us at cbsdirect to see star trek" as a real world example. It was inevitable in a digital world.... having a middle man doesn't make sense.

The good news? Eventually -> Halflife 3, left for dead 3, team fortress 3, etc etc. Look at Netflix and Hulu- now they produce content to combat the above. The only way valve survives on a long enough timeline is to do the same.

tldr- dont hate on epic for having a launcher/store front- its what is best for them to continue producing games long term.

But in the end it's bad for us as consumers because now we have 5 different game launchers and usernames/passwords to remember... Also more chances for our shit to get stolen if they don't keep proper security.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    urahonky wrote: »
    mojojoeo on pc
    xmojojoeox on ps4

this game tempts me so

and yet...

But in the end it's bad for us as consumers because now we have 5 different game launchers and usernames/passwords to remember... Also more chances for our shit to get stolen if they don't keep proper security.

the internet of things- You are only going to have more accounts going forward.

But in less than a fortnight we can play fort nite

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    the internet of things- You are only going to have more accounts going forward.

"accounts"

More like they happen to use an "identity" that they use to access a service.

• Options
    Oh hey

3 years ago Epic Games gave everyone who had Unreal Engine installed $30 to use to promote their UE marketplace

except that I didn't use it because I was always procrastinating learning UE

and now I can use it for Fortnite

neat

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    If this is done well, this is the game I've been waiting for for years.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    So, 116 different Hero Cards? Yup, I might find someone I like in there :wink:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    You know what I already want? An eventual Orcs Must Die cross promotional deal where you can get a hero card that's just The Warmage. That would fit so well with what seems to be this game's tone.

• Options
    Oh there's a 4 day headstart. I was wondering why I was reading that people were going to start playing next week, when I still thought it was the 25th.

Well, that's sorted!

Characters
  • Options
    Too much shit on the 21st. This, Splatoon 2, Destiny 2 beta...