As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Speed Over Quality [chat]

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    Are you going to paint or somehow stain your world map or leave it as is? Also, how big will it be?
    Looking at the size of the section presented, assuming the thumb shown is within one standard deviation of the US male average, accounting for +/-0.01% error when fitting edges together, calculating the number of pieces required for the full map....

200cm wide.
    I blame DK's obviously Trumpian hands for being off by a factor of 2.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Are you going to paint or somehow stain your world map or leave it as is? Also, how big will it be?

There's a couple millimeters of artificial pop-up from sea to land so the coastlines remain recognizable. This also allows me to fill the sea with a light blue dyed epoxy, which will look darker the deeper the ocean is. I'm considering doing this. The main issue is that it's irreversible if I fuck up and each tile takes about 20 hours to print. Another option I'm considering is it looks rad when backlit. I'd like to maybe use colored LED light strips and light up the land green/tan and the oceans blue.

It's going to be about 40" wide and 22" tall.

At the risk of starting a religious war: Which projection are you using?

Natural Earth. It's a projection that preserves nothing but is aesthetically pleasing.

They say that choice of map proejction is an exercise in values clarification

Now I know that you will suffer for your fashion

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    anovo sous video on amazon prime day hmmmmm

I know it's supposed to be aces but i can't get over how creepy sous vide is before you finish it

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

There's a couple millimeters of artificial pop-up from sea to land so the coastlines remain recognizable. This also allows me to fill the sea with a light blue dyed epoxy, which will look darker the deeper the ocean is. I'm considering doing this. The main issue is that it's irreversible if I fuck up and each tile takes about 20 hours to print. Another option I'm considering is it looks rad when backlit. I'd like to maybe use colored LED light strips and light up the land green/tan and the oceans blue.

Natural Earth. It's a projection that preserves nothing but is aesthetically pleasing.
    ah, the Apple projection

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Grr.

I set up to get a feed of Wirecutter's deals. I keep seeing things that are cool and cheap.. but then I go.. man, do I really need it?

Latest - a small budget food processor.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Next time press get to talk with presidential candidates, somebody better ask like a math-question.

• Options
    Sous vide? How do you say passing fad in french

*buys sous vide machine*

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Or Make Contact-gesture.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Twinkles cut me off too soon, I was going to refer to podly's nazi dick as a literal monster dong.

• Options
    *doesnt actually buy sous vide machine I just wanted that post to be a little less mean to sous vide chatters*

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    my biggest problem with sous vide is my bags suck, they frequently don't seal properly

what kind of bags should i be buying

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Grr.

I set up to get a feed of Wirecutter's deals. I keep seeing things that are cool and cheap.. but then I go.. man, do I really need it?

Latest - a small budget food processor.

I think I have that one, or one very like it

it does process food but every time I use it I wish I had something larger

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    my biggest problem with sous vide is my bags suck, they frequently don't seal properly

I just use zip lock bags and slowly submerge them so that the water pushes the air out

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    This Trump Jr thing

My head canon is like, Mueller in the cave a la Tony Stark and A BOX OF SCRAPS

Except he's building a lawsuit instead of power armor

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    every time I use it I wish I had something larger

*nod*

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    And on the topic of voltage, a taser is like 50k volts IIRC but it doesn't (necessarily) kill you. Amps are what you watch for.

People keep saying this and it's wrong. It's both. It's the power delivered. But more than that the deadliness of electricity is complicated. Tasers are high voltage, low amperage, but it you got one right to the heart it could easily stop your heart and kill you because it doesn't take a ton of electricity to stop your heart and the probes pierce your skin.

Dry skin presents a resistance of about 3 Mohms, so you need a relatively high voltage for the electricity to start flowing through you. That's why you can place a finger across a 9v battery and nothing happens, even though it could deliver 20A in an instant, vaporize your finger, and explode in your hand.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    This is the $10 endoscope of chats

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    Sous vide? How do you say passing fad in french

*buys sous vide machine*

the answer to your rhetorical question is actually quite pleasing, it's mode passagère

• Options

I just use zip lock bags and slowly submerge them so that the water pushes the air out

dont those give you plastic cancer or something

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

I do this too and I've never had an issue. I also take the zipper and fold it over the edge of the pot once it's sealed and that both holds it closed and stops the thing from moving around.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

i was contemplating this, and surely there is a way to make either a removable ocean component moulded to the topology of the ocean floor, or even just a transparent membrane for the ocean surface so everything is clearly visible

also i was hoping this was going to be a giant globe and you had painstakingly ensured that each section would fit together into a sphere

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Oh weird, 150 new posts in the Trump Russia Thread in the last hour let's just

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    anovo sous video on amazon prime day hmmmmm

@Podly
    It's good even at full price

And I barely use mine cuz I don't cook much but when I do it's great

Instant Pot is on Prime Day too but only $10 less than normal so eh
    I ain't got the space

poo
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    It only take what about .15 amps passing directly over your heart to stop it?

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Eddy wrote: »

They say that choice of map proejction is an exercise in values clarification

Now I know that you will suffer for your fashion

I wanted to pick Mercator because I actually like the angle preservation property and think the shape distortion is neat. But the overall dimensions of the map come out huge and square, you have to clip off the poles (and usually all of antarctica), and my boyfriend put his foot down and would not allow it.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    They have Twinkies ice cream

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I buy the thicker freezer bags or whatever
    Tend to be stronger

poo
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Here's the e-mails you losers at fake news are whining about to prove nothing was wrong

Russian Government: We have dirt on your enemies you in?
    Trump Jr: I'm in, lets do this
    Russian Government: We're going to send this person from our government to illegally conspire with you
    Trump Jr: Nice, hey bannon and kushner lets assist with some espionage

See nobody offered me money

override367 on
  • Options
    Looks like Trump is russian headlong into impeachment

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    The Democratic National Committee conspiracy has finally been uncovered!

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Does amazon prime day give sales on books too or just on other objects?

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Hillary Clinton had some e-mails we didn't read you guys they could totally be even worse than directly participating in helping an antagonistic world power spy on your own country

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    Looks like Trump is russian headlong into impeachment

lol we'll see in 3.5 years

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

I'd assume so, as this is essentially their clearance sale...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    donk i just read about an eighth of the wiki article on electricity and i'm ready to argue with your 'learned opinions'

also do you have a moment to talk about the nonexistence of volcanos

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Blanket $5 off any physical book purchase over $15 with code PRIMEBOOKS17

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I'm salty that Prime Day gets media coverage, why does Amazon get free advertising for their garbage bin?

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    donk i just read about an eighth of the wiki article on electricity and i'm ready to argue with your 'learned opinions'

also do you have a moment to talk about the nonexistence of volcanos

volcanoes are phony as shit what is even the glowing red stuff I feel so dumb for having ever believed they exist

This discussion has been closed.