As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tabata out at SQuenix. [Final Fantasy] XV development to end prematurely (finally?).

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    What's the current status of FFXV?

Did the multiplayer ever take off? Are people still playing it? Or is it dead in the water? Are they still developing new DLC for it?

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I did low level runs of the FF games as a kid. FF6 is pretty enjoyable at low level especially because you skip a lot of the esper shit. You can find ways to get spells occasionally without getting massive levels. It makes you take advantage of those skills more. I also was doing this before the internet so I didn't know all the super overpowered things yet.

But I also choose to make classes in games that give you complete freedom. Every char gets a role and has strengths and weaknesses when I can customize them. I got really good at that in a low level FF7 run which was super enjoyable. I actually had to shift through my characters multiple times to get past a lot of boss fights. I ruined the save file though when I used a gameshark code to put Aeris in there and she was like absurdly low level. The one I used made it so she couldn't be removed, so I had a level 20 char as 1/3 of my party and those iron giants on the way down to Jenova would always wipe me.

Now I wanna do another low level FF7 playthrough. I was trying to save playing FF7 again until I got it on the PC because they have a difficulty mod for that, but I think a low level specialized runthrough was so much fun I need to do it again.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    What's the current status of FFXV?

Did the multiplayer ever take off? Are people still playing it? Or is it dead in the water? Are they still developing new DLC for it?

Four more DLC episodes are coming out, yeah. Episode Ardyn, Episode Aranea, Episode Lunafreya, Episode Noctis. They're planned for 2019, IIRC.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Speaking of FFVI, did anyone play the Brave New World mod? I dabbled in it, and apart from the questionable script changes, it seems interesting.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2095/

Character-based esper restrictions & new stat boosts that promote greater diversity and allow for customized development.
    Esper leveling system that disassociates esper bonuses from traditional levels.
    New and reworked formulas which rescue everything that isn’t magic or magic evasion from the dump-stat heap.
    Rebalanced equipment, items, spells, and skills that aim to remove dead weight and give players more (and better) choices.
    A complete overhaul of enemies from their stats to their behavior to better challenge veteran players and newcomers alike.
    Tons of bugfixes, as well as remedies to many of the game’s more annoying aspects (such as rage hunting taking a lifetime).
    A new script that restores much of what was lost in translation and builds on existing plotlines and characterization.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Yeah I brought it up and went into detail about how awesome it is. Pretty much if you want to replay FF6 and thought it was too easy, you should be playing the mod. Script aside, it felt like what FF6 should have been to be a complete game.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Are the script changes good?

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Are the script changes good?
    No.

They thought it was funny to have Relm cuss like a sailor.

also Ultros just makes movie references.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Pretty much they justified using memes and time relevant jokes as good additions to the script because they were well placed. Also the script shoots up to Teen ++ pretty hard but not in a good way either.

They did not attempt to like, improve upon the japanese translation or make the story better or anything. Just changed it for changes sake to try and make it more entertaining in their eyes. I wasn't really offended by it because I have seen the original like 20 times so someones slight fanfiction version was ok with me, but I could easily see how it would massively put off lots of people.

But the gameplay is worth it even if you can't avoid the new script.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Is there a way to use it without getting the new script?

• Options
    I mean I made no efforts to when I tried, but I am sure that someone out there just made the base script a mod, and you can apply it to the game after BNW. Script mods shouldn't interfere at all with gameplay modifications.

Considering the unpopularity of said script, there has to have been someone who did it out there. I know the creators themselves even made a lite version where they like removed the cursing?

I played it a few years ago so I can't answer that one but I would be shocked if there wasn't a way to play without their script. But worst case you can just ignore the story since you likely have seen it enough times to know what is going on.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the script changes are bad, putting it lightly, but the rebalance is the highlight. I've played VI so many times that I probably know the original script by heart, anyway.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Pretty much they justified using memes and time relevant jokes as good additions to the script because they were well placed. Also the script shoots up to Teen ++ pretty hard but not in a good way either.

They did not attempt to like, improve upon the japanese translation or make the story better or anything. Just changed it for changes sake to try and make it more entertaining in their eyes. I wasn't really offended by it because I have seen the original like 20 times so someones slight fanfiction version was ok with me, but I could easily see how it would massively put off lots of people.

Was it made by Victor Ireland? :/

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Hey, I really liked the working designs translations for the Sega CD Lunar games. His stuff was much higher quality than this.

Talking about it made me look BNW up, and they certainly have put a lot more into it in some updates. The whole esper thing they did has a full on interface now to get rid of a lot of unintuitive side effects of the system.

I found a video that pretty much goes over what the mod does to the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t90icoE4NF8

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Not enough sexism and homophobia.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Not enough sexism and homophobia.

I take it you haven't played anything recent that he's done. Growlanser and Summon Night were fine.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I probably should've played Brave New World but I'm a sucker for Steam cheevos and wanted to clear that out. Maybe much MUCH later I'll attempt that run. Dad of War is pretty good and all this FF6 has made me want to go deep down this FF replay hole. I haven't played 9, 10 and 3 on Steam so I might try those. FF5 Steam port is just too ugly and I can't go past World 2...

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I'm actually going through the latest patch for Brave New World and man if this was some kinda Choose-Your-Own Patch thing, it would be flawless.

The gameplay changes -- the way espers work, the way equipment works, relic systems, everything -- is amazing and I love it.

The script changes, lower level cap, etc? Garbage.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    I'm at Chapter 6 in XV, and I feel like I'm still missing something with the combat. I just got done with getting the Mythril ore, and I was constantly getting busted up; either by getting hit during my attacks with Noctis or getting surrounded (mostly by the Flans). Dodging doesn't seem to work half the time, and I swear I got Blink but I can't seem to get the timing down on it. Combat's pretty simple, I know, and I've done a lot of fighting and hunting so I'm used to it, but it still seems like I blow through potions pretty quickly. Isn't there some place to practice?

I enjoyed my time with Iris; she was fun and useful to have around. I could swear she had a higher attack power than Prompto, though.

Also, the Regalia seems to be made out of tissue paper. I just bump into anything and suddenly it's all wrecked. Minor quibble, but I can't stand driving around like that.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I'm at Chapter 6 in XV, and I feel like I'm still missing something with the combat. I just got done with getting the Mythril ore, and I was constantly getting busted up; either by getting hit during my attacks with Noctis or getting surrounded (mostly by the Flans). Dodging doesn't seem to work half the time, and I swear I got Blink but I can't seem to get the timing down on it. Combat's pretty simple, I know, and I've done a lot of fighting and hunting so I'm used to it, but it still seems like I blow through potions pretty quickly. Isn't there some place to practice?

I enjoyed my time with Iris; she was fun and useful to have around. I could swear she had a higher attack power than Prompto, though.

Also, the Regalia seems to be made out of tissue paper. I just bump into anything and suddenly it's all wrecked. Minor quibble, but I can't stand driving around like that.

Iris definitely has higher attack power than Prompto. I think her weapon didn't have any attack stats, so her raw stats were really high to compensate.

• Options
    Iris has a massive strength stat, it's hilarious.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It's more effective to bash a monster in with a giant plush moogle than it is to shoot them with a gun.

Sounds about right by RPG logic standards.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Wait...you can listen to music tracks while on foot and chocobo in XV?

This changes everything.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    I don't recall if you could do it while riding a Chocobo but yeah, I think I had a heavy FF7, FF8 and FF5 on while just cruising around.

Too bad it was a bit half assed becuase I would've LOVED to play other boss themes during...boss fights. Or Marks at least.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    The change to use FFIV-TAY music over FFIV original themes was such a bad decision.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    I don't recall if you could do it while riding a Chocobo but yeah, I think I had a heavy FF7, FF8 and FF5 on while just cruising around.

Too bad it was a bit half assed becuase I would've LOVED to play other boss themes during...boss fights. Or Marks at least.

At the start of the game you're limited to changing the music only while in the car. However, at some point in the game you can get an MP3 player from one of the shops that will allow you to play any music no matter where you are(or at least on foot or on a chocobo. I don't recall if it worked while you were in battle. I need to get back to the game sometime, although I can't recall what I was doing in it).

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I think you can buy the MP3 player while riding in the car. Been meaning to do that myself.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Yes you can; it's I think after Chapter 4? It's pretty early.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    But why are they saying the memes were lost in translation? Is that the joke? Am I ruining the joke now?

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Been playing some more XV.

I sometimes wonder where the hell Noctis' mom is in the world of unexplained JRPG one parent households but then I feel bad and remember Ignis is right there.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

I sometimes wonder where the hell Noctis' mom is in the world of unexplained JRPG one parent households but then I feel bad and remember Ignis is right there.

The Brotherhood anime explains what happened to Noctis' mom.
    Dead by multi armed snake demon.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited May 2018

The Brotherhood anime explains what happened to Noctis' mom.
    Dead by multi armed snake demon.
    Was that her?

I was pretty confused. At first I thought so but she also just seemed like some sort of retainer that got redshirted.

Felt kind of unclear who that was.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    I hit Chapter 12 in XV. . . I'm going to be railroaded by the plot for a good while longer, aren't I? Also I feel like I missed out on a lot of stuff by not poking around the open world more. There are supposed to be optional dungeons you could look for, right?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The extra sidestories for FFTA2 are too mundane. Stop staring at the bottom of your glass, Adelle.

• Options
    Just minding my business, taking a short breather immediately after ending a hunt in XV and HOLY BALLS, lv54 Midgarmsomr spawns in the middle of the fricking day.

The night is no longer as terrifying. I can handle iron giants in my sleep.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I think just thinking that is the actual trigger for the game to start throwing Red Giants at you at night.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    I think just thinking that is the actual trigger for the game to start throwing Red Giants at you at night.
    Funnily enough, had my first encounter with them not long after.

Ignis was finally cool with driving at night, was riding high on my arrogance thinking all the night mobs had turned into trash.

Killed two iron giants en route before I ran into a red one and got my shit pushed in so bad that Noctis had to run away in fear, had some sort of tractor beam to really hammer home its attempt at revenge for its vanilla brethern.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    aren't reds really weak against one of the armigers?

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I hit Chapter 12 in XV. . . I'm going to be railroaded by the plot for a good while longer, aren't I? Also I feel like I missed out on a lot of stuff by not poking around the open world more. There are supposed to be optional dungeons you could look for, right?

Yeah, mostly related around the ancestral weapons. You should still have the option to go back if you want to do other quests, through a side mechanic the game should have introduced to you by now.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    aren't reds really weak against one of the armigers?
    Even then, they've got so much health that bringing them down is annoyingly time consuming, even when you're doing 9999 per hit.
    And in the time it takes to kill one, there's a good-enough-to-be-annoying chance that another one will show up.

I generally end up ditching the car and going on foot/chocobo at night, at least until I can get the snazzy headlights.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Well, looks like I've started to reach the end of the open world in XV. Comes sooner than you would think it would with there only really being two zones.

Think the quests are going to start drying up soon after I can finally get into vesper pool and start clearing those ones out and then I'll be finishing up the hunts and dungeons before moving onto
    Punished Noctis where he gets a huge character design upgrade.

Only rank 4 though. Thought I was mostly done with the hunts but there are six more ranks, really underestimated that shit.

Dr. Chaos on