As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tabata out at SQuenix. [Final Fantasy] XV development to end prematurely (finally?).

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Crystal Chronicles?? That's fucking nuts.

Mine kept corrupting saves, so I never got very far.

That's fixable with a hex editor.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    A computer-buddy or two would be convenient, because I managed to get my cousins to play maybe twice.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i'm so looking forward to FFCC. it was so hard to get 3 or 4 people together and it was almost mandatory later on. it was an interesting concept that was not implemented well (having one person have to carry the bucket was bad). I really hope they fix/change some of that stuff.

• Options
    I am assuming it will be network-aware so you can play without everyone being in the same place.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I didn’t realize what everyone was talking about until one of my coworkers mentioned the news:

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So I'm playing FFXV for the first time.

Is this just a midwest roadtrip with tourist attractions?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    i'm so looking forward to FFCC. it was so hard to get 3 or 4 people together and it was almost mandatory later on. it was an interesting concept that was not implemented well (having one person have to carry the bucket was bad). I really hope they fix/change some of that stuff.

Carrying the chalice is still a thing it seems, though in my experience that always just meant you threw it down to throw down. Never seemed a huge deal playing 2p.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Through chapter 3 or so, yeah.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Through chapter 3 or so, yeah.

This game is so, goofy (in a not mean way). It's so strange driving around and having someone be like

'Yo, lets get some shelter, because there's about to be some DEMONS up in this place'

and as he says that a freaking van putters away from my party. Like, is that van full of toughen soldiers or is it a van full of children and a soccer mom. Is that van going to survive the night where DEMONS roam the streets and murder non-nonchalantly?

And like, the shelter my party gets into is a freaking Coleman tent. Is Demon just code for 'hey, lets go drunk around a campire'?

I kind of hope the entire game is just like this. No saving the world, or kingdoms, or princess. Just 4 bros having on a long bachelor road trip party, hunting and getting drunk before it ends in a wedding ceremony.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Started FFIX for the first time earlier today. (I'm playing it on my PC.) A few hours in, but I'm mostly enjoying it. It's kind of aggressively cute; I can see how it could have caused a certain amount of psychic whiplash coming after VII and VIII.

I liked the way they baked combat tutorials into the play you're performing; for one thing, that keeps you actually involved instead of just watching more cutscenes.

It does seem to take its own sweet time to get going -- I think I've met everybody who's going to be in the main party, but we're still running around chasing after each other.

My one concern right now is with save points; more specifically, with the frequency thereof. I'm hoping that once I get into the game proper I won't find myself in those situations where I'm ready to call it a night (or I have to go do something) but I'm still 30-60 minutes away from being able to save my game again.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    And like, the shelter my party gets into is a freaking Coleman tent. Is Demon just code for 'hey, lets go drunk around a campire'?

I kind of hope the entire game is just like this. No saving the world, or kingdoms, or princess. Just 4 bros having on a long bachelor road trip party, hunting and getting drunk before it ends in a wedding ceremony.

I assume the glowing runes around each campsite have something to do with the absence of demons there.

Also, you forgot "raiding dungeons." I didn't have very high expectations for them, but the dungeons were legit one of my favorite parts of the game. A few of them are story-heavy, too. DLC that added more visually striking dungeons with new story and banter would have been way more compelling for me than all the one-off character backstories.
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    Started FFIX for the first time earlier today. (I'm playing it on my PC.) A few hours in, but I'm mostly enjoying it. It's kind of aggressively cute; I can see how it could have caused a certain amount of psychic whiplash coming after VII and VIII.

I liked the way they baked combat tutorials into the play you're performing; for one thing, that keeps you actually involved instead of just watching more cutscenes.

It does seem to take its own sweet time to get going -- I think I've met everybody who's going to be in the main party, but we're still running around chasing after each other.

My one concern right now is with save points; more specifically, with the frequency thereof. I'm hoping that once I get into the game proper I won't find myself in those situations where I'm ready to call it a night (or I have to go do something) but I'm still 30-60 minutes away from being able to save my game again.

In the mobile version I can just exit the game without saving. It's pretty good about making sure that I don't lose too much progress; I'll load up next to the last door I went through or whatever. Although maybe the PC/console versions aren't as robust in that regard?

Frem on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    IX is one of those games whose first 1/3 to 1/2 is amazing, but it kinda fizzles out after that. The first continent remains one of my favorite zones in any FF game.

With XV, apparently I was the only one who vastly preferred the linear portion to the open world.

• Options
    XerinkXerink Registered User regular
    Agreed about FFIX. Even though it fizzles quite a bit in the second half, it still remains one of my favorites due to its strong opening chapters.

As for saving, you can save any time on the overworld. I felt the save moogles were pretty well distributed so that you weren't going too long without seeing one in dungeons. That might just be opinion, though. I also think the PC version has a quick save function similar to mobile since they are basically the same game.

PSN: darkhart0
    3DS FC: 2234-7230-2712
    Battle.net: Kriese#1709
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    IX is one of those games whose first 1/3 to 1/2 is amazing, but it kinda fizzles out after that. The first continent remains one of my favorite zones in any FF game.

With XV, apparently I was the only one who vastly preferred the linear portion to the open world.

You're not alone! I wish the whole game had been more so in that style. It was also more narrative dense which if the whole game was like that would have offered much more time to help flesh out that story so it didn't feel like such a big dump right at that point. It would have made that part so much better if the content leading up to it was in that style as well.

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    XV's like the polar opposite of XIII - they frontload you with the open world and so many sidequests, but halfway through it goes into linear plot overdrive. I would've liked a breather or two after some of those story beats, which you can still do by going back to the open world to its credit.

Also, why has nobody mentioned that World of Final Fantasy Maxima is a thing? Dang it, I'm going to have to replay that, aren't I? Playable FF characters is gonna be sweet.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I'm debating if I want to re-buy it on Switch or just get the new content as DLC on PS4.

• Options

You're not alone! I wish the whole game had been more so in that style. It was also more narrative dense which if the whole game was like that would have offered much more time to help flesh out that story so it didn't feel like such a big dump right at that point. It would have made that part so much better if the content leading up to it was in that style as well.

Agreed.

The open world part felt mostly aimless. "We're on the run from an invading force, and are trying to get enough power/resources to mount a counter-attack, but fuck it, let's go on a picnic!" It didn't help that the open world had almost nothing to do. I was expecting more, well, everything. More settlements that weren't simply cut-and-pasted gas stations/diners, more activities outside of fishing, more random events (both in quantity and variety), more people on the road, more characterization from the leads (they never really feel like people to me), etc.

The linear part is somewhat frustrating because some of the areas outside of the train look like they could've been wild to actually play through, but at least there's some actual urgency from everyone, and a sense of plot progression, even if it's buried in missable magazines, weird terminology, and ancillary media. It's definitely flawed, but I can appreciate the last half for the story it tried to tell. And Ardyn is still one of my favorite FF characters (the VA nailed it).

Looking forward, apparently Tabata has said that they're looking at future titles as being service-driven, which is a bit... concerning to me (https://www.polygon.com/features/2018/9/21/17885000/hajime-tabata-final-fantasy-15-finale-dlc-larping). On the one hand, I think it could work amazingly well if they really take the time to create a setting (or to use an established setting like Ivalice) that's coherent. And if they really plan things well to entice people to buy the DLC without feeling like it's simply a way to nickle and dime consumers without ever providing a finished, standalone experience on a disc/cartridge. But, I have almost 0 faith in their ability to actually pull it off. Especially after the development hells spanning XII, XIII, and XV.

I hope they prove me wrong.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    XV's like the polar opposite of XIII - they frontload you with the open world and so many sidequests, but halfway through it goes into linear plot overdrive. I would've liked a breather or two after some of those story beats, which you can still do by going back to the open world to its credit.

Also, why has nobody mentioned that World of Final Fantasy Maxima is a thing? Dang it, I'm going to have to replay that, aren't I? Playable FF characters is gonna be sweet.

I've been very interested in WoFF and it's been on my Steam wish list for quite some time. Seeing Maxima coming to the Switch makes me realize why I waited.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Okay, the cactuar event is amazing for grinding levels. I've spent a couple hours watching TV while my MLB Kuja carries two characters though the highest level of the event. So far maxed Quistis and Seifer, with Raijin and Fujin not far behind. Event the kaktrot wave isn't too threatening because, while a single Ultima+ isn't enough to clear the wave on it's own, the cactuses are left low enough that even a character with 1 star weapon and armor can hp attack them dead.

So far found... 7 kaktrots. The next reward is at 15? I mean, they're coming at a decent clip, but damn. Overall this event is giving out about 15 armor tokens.

Still undecided on who to give my weapon tokens to. I might wait and see how my draws this month go first. For example, if i luck out and get Vincent's 35 cp but no more copies of his 15, i can buy one to let me max out his 15 for the passive. I actually have quite a large pool of 15 cp weapons for story characters already, so it's more about who I want to give an extra limit break rather than who i want to give a weapon to use.

Also, the story chapter ends on a pretty big cliffhanger. I wasn't sure if the story was going to be anything beyond Final Fantasy characters getting together and fighting when I started, but I've been plenty surprised by the thought that has gone into this. Without spoilers, there are cool scenes in Chapter 10 where the FFVIII characters discuss the implications of some of them not having complete memories whereas others remember everything.

Also also, note that Serah and Edgar's weapons are in the pool, so if you need a spear or bow for assistance leveling other characters, those are not a bad choice to buy up.

Edit: And I put this in the wrong place. Sorry everyone meant to post to Opera Omnia.

Xerink on
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Doing some trademark work today and see that Square Enix renewed their US Patent & Trademark Office registration for the "Final Fantasy Tactics" mark(s) on August 31, 2018. That means literally nothing, because companies renew these things when they come up for renewal, but it at least means that an attorney somewhere - looks like Tim Fraelich at Jones Day in Cleveland - had to pick up the phone or send an email and ask, "Hey, you want to renew this, right? This exists, remember?"

Waiting patiently for any sign of FFT on Switch.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I've never played any FF:Tactics game. I would love to if they bring them to Switch. While they're at it, localize the SD trilogy for the West you jerks.

• Options
    I would love SE to do something with the Tactics games. Even porting some or all of them to modern consoles would be nice. FFTA2 was a ton of fun to play on my DS and I would absolutely revisit it. The FFTA games have never left their original releases either. Kind of surprised SE hasn't ported them to even mobile at this point. FFTA for the GBA should be pretty simple, at least.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Agreed.

The open world part felt mostly aimless. "We're on the run from an invading force, and are trying to get enough power/resources to mount a counter-attack, but fuck it, let's go on a picnic!" It didn't help that the open world had almost nothing to do. I was expecting more, well, everything. More settlements that weren't simply cut-and-pasted gas stations/diners, more activities outside of fishing, more random events (both in quantity and variety), more people on the road, more characterization from the leads (they never really feel like people to me), etc.

The linear part is somewhat frustrating because some of the areas outside of the train look like they could've been wild to actually play through, but at least there's some actual urgency from everyone, and a sense of plot progression, even if it's buried in missable magazines, weird terminology, and ancillary media. It's definitely flawed, but I can appreciate the last half for the story it tried to tell. And Ardyn is still one of my favorite FF characters (the VA nailed it).

Looking forward, apparently Tabata has said that they're looking at future titles as being service-driven, which is a bit... concerning to me (https://www.polygon.com/features/2018/9/21/17885000/hajime-tabata-final-fantasy-15-finale-dlc-larping). On the one hand, I think it could work amazingly well if they really take the time to create a setting (or to use an established setting like Ivalice) that's coherent. And if they really plan things well to entice people to buy the DLC without feeling like it's simply a way to nickle and dime consumers without ever providing a finished, standalone experience on a disc/cartridge. But, I have almost 0 faith in their ability to actually pull it off. Especially after the development hells spanning XII, XIII, and XV.

I hope they prove me wrong.

Yeaaaa going more service driven would certainly mark the end of the series for me. Which would be really sad as it was my favorite game series. I would just pass from the start if they leaned into that too hard. DQXI is showing how well a regular old JRPG can still work. I think it's good for FF to keep experimenting and trying new things within the games. But games as a service for narrative driven games is just a big fat no from me.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I mean Assassin's Creed Origins looks nice to me. I don't know, on one hand I want them to try new things. If I want to play the same game over and over I have Dragon Quest for that.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    I mean Assassin's Creed Origins looks nice to me. I don't know, on one hand I want them to try new things. If I want to play the same game over and over I have Dragon Quest for that.

Yea I mean I said that they should keep experimenting and doing fun things with the genre. That's what they have been doing. Games as a service is not experimenting with gameplay, it's a method of monetization that when applied to a narrative driven game directly impacts the base game experience and at worst impacts the story telling negatively.

• Options
    ooooooooooor...adds extra content if the gameplay is good enough. My main hope with the next FF is that they really nail down the gameplay part. I want gambits to return but would love a system kinda in the vein of Xenoblade Chronicles.

To be honest I would love if a regular FF (spin off or otherwise) would just copy FFRKs Battle System. I just love pulling off the interactions between Chain SBs, USBs and AOSBs a lot!

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    ooooooooooor...adds extra content if the gameplay is good enough. My main hope with the next FF is that they really nail down the gameplay part. I want gambits to return but would love a system kinda in the vein of Xenoblade Chronicles.

To be honest I would love if a regular FF (spin off or otherwise) would just copy FFRKs Battle System. I just love pulling off the interactions between Chain SBs, USBs and AOSBs a lot!

But that can be done otherwise as well. So it's not directly doing that either, it's just a different way to monetize it. You can add plenty more content and gameplay through expansion pack style DLC a la Witcher 3. The goal of games as service in a narrative based single player game is wholly for the sake of monetization.

Either way it in itself is still not experimenting with gameplay in anyway shape or form, which is all I was really saying.

• Options
    I'd like to see SE take a page out of MonolithSoft's book with how they handled Xenoblade Chronicles 2. The main game is, well, the main game. It's a normal $60 JRPG. The Torna expansion, however, is both DLC and a standalone game. You don't need the original XB2 to play it (although, obviously, it makes the plot more coherent). And XB2 itself feels like a complete game in and of itself.

So, yeah, it could work if it was designed smartly, and if care was taken to make the setting feel big and coherent enough for multiple games/chapters in the same place. Ideally, they'd be smart enough to brush off Ivalice (or, in a bold move, Eorzea) since the setting(s) already exist, and there's already existing hooks to make it work in the chronology(-ies).

Regarding gameplay, I'd rather see them just go full action game than the weird hybrids they've been doing. Of course, I'd rather see them limit combat to boss/story fights, and crank the difficulty up, rather than a bunch of grindy nonsense, but I don't see that happening.

• Options
    Ascian May Cry would be an interesting game.

• Options
    @Nightslyr I actually liked that with the season pass they kept updating the base game with quests tho. Well that's my opinion. I just don't like one and done game these days and love them being updated over a year.

• Options
    @Nightslyr I actually liked that with the season pass they kept updating the base game with quests tho. Well that's my opinion. I just don't like one and done game these days and love them being updated over a year.

Oh, definitely... if it's well-implemented, it's a boon. I'm just weary with SE's history of various development hells the mainline, non-MMO (and, even then, XIV 1.0 was a dumpster fire) Final Fantasy games have suffered the last, what, 15 or so years at this point? I'm not confident that it won't be a "Pay $60 for, essentially, the prologue, then another $80-$120 for the conclusion 5+ years from now because we're scrambling behind the scenes with our pants down and hair on fire."

Again, I think MonolithSoft did it the right way with XB2. $60 for the main game. It's complete. You don't need to buy any DLC to have a complete experience. The season pass exists as, literally, extra content. More blades, more quests, some cool surprises, etc. Torna: The Golden Land is a prequel expansion. It's both part of the season pass (so, if you pay for the pass, it's really a good value), and a standalone product (if you don't care about extra blades and/or quests). The entire setup is consumer friendly. Pay for what you want, but the main components - XB2 proper and Torna - don't require additional purchases. And it's all wrapped up in about a year, so the consumer isn't just waiting for nothing. It's not the only DLC, game-as-a-platform model that works, obviously, but having the prequel offered in different forms is pretty cool, and hopefully something other devs/publishers will consider.

Contrast that with XV. My personal distaste for the game aside, it was pretty obviously unfinished at launch. And requiring both a bevy of patches and DLC to fix it across the board, is pretty BS. DLC should enhance a complete product, not bandage an incomplete one.

Here's the thing, though: I want SE to prove me wrong. I grew up on FF, like most of the people in this thread. A lot of my favorite gaming memories were of one game or another. I want to enjoy the franchise again, to want to sit down and get rare items, or fight ultra bosses again. But the series since X has largely left me cold, with the sole exception of XIV. I haven't been legitimately excited for a mainline FF game in nearly 20 years. And that's sad. I don't like being negative or nitpicky about the franchise. I want to be excited again.

• Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    It would be nice if they remade Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles The Ring Bearers. I have it on the Wii but I kinda wish I could use normal controls for it.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    The Crystal Bearers, I think you mean.

I remember being perhaps unreasonably disappointed with the game, largely because the main character was so much cooler and more powerful in cutscenes than in the actual gameplay.

• Options
    Finished Final Fantasy IX last night. I liked it, mostly; it never stopped being aggressively charming. Was shorter than I expected -- maybe 40 hours -- but I also didn't do pretty much any of the side content. I was surprised at how little control I had over party composition for most of the game -- it wasn't until probably the equivalent of the 3rd disc that you started having complete control -- and I'd forgotten how sometimes irritating it can be when only active party members gain experience & levels.

Was also not a fan of the boss rush section at the end, and I admit that I did end up turning on the cheats (max level and auto-learn abilities) after dying to Necron the first couple of times -- I'm really not a fan of bosses who can one- or two-shot 2-3 party members at a time and/or inflict a bunch of bad status.

But, as I said, I liked it all in all. Now I should go back and start playing some of the I-VI games that I never got around to back in the day ...

• Options
    Finished Final Fantasy IX last night. I liked it, mostly; it never stopped being aggressively charming. Was shorter than I expected -- maybe 40 hours -- but I also didn't do pretty much any of the side content. I was surprised at how little control I had over party composition for most of the game -- it wasn't until probably the equivalent of the 3rd disc that you started having complete control -- and I'd forgotten how sometimes irritating it can be when only active party members gain experience & levels.

Was also not a fan of the boss rush section at the end, and I admit that I did end up turning on the cheats (max level and auto-learn abilities) after dying to Necron the first couple of times -- I'm really not a fan of bosses who can one- or two-shot 2-3 party members at a time and/or inflict a bunch of bad status.

But, as I said, I liked it all in all. Now I should go back and start playing some of the I-VI games that I never got around to back in the day ...

I would say skip 2 and 3. 4 5 and 6 are great. 1 has it's charm, but it's very story-lite compared to every other final fantasy game.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    4, 5, and 6 are still very playable and charming, and as a bonus, a lot of 9 was an homage to 1-6, so you'll see where some familiar concepts came from.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »

I would say skip 2 and 3. 4 5 and 6 are great. 1 has it's charm, but it's very story-lite compared to every other final fantasy game.

I have an SNES Classic, so 6 (a.k.a. III) is probably next in my queue. I remember playing it on my actual SNES back in the day, but I think I only got about half way through it.

• Options
    And I did try FFI at one point -- I think on the Wii. I loaded it up, created a party, walked into the forest, died immediately, and gave up.

And which one has a big boss fight in a castle at the midway point?

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    FF 1-3 are hard in a sense that you need excellent prep to win challenges. 1 and 2 don’t really guide you at all with how to properly become prepared. 3 at least sort of does.

The newer versions of FF 2 are very playable as long as you do a little research and learn how the game works. The newer versions also have WAY less wrong choices. Same with the ds/steam release of ff3. They did a good job of not having most of the classes be bad.

FF1 though has stayed loyal to its issues in almost every release. Outside of switching to actual mp at some point. But because it is much more straightforward than 2 and 3 it’s not as hard to overcome. Just know most dungeons are made to be obnoxious mazes.

• Options
    And I did try FFI at one point -- I think on the Wii. I loaded it up, created a party, walked into the forest, died immediately, and gave up.

And which one has a big boss fight in a castle at the midway point?

I actually had the most luck playing 1 with a 1 character party (a red mage usually). Experience you receive is split between living party members, so if you have only one character it actually makes the game a bit easier as they level up extra fast. I made a party of all red mages, and then went out and fought bad guys until everyone was dead but one dude. Healing at inns doesn't revive your fallen allies.