As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tabata out at SQuenix. [Final Fantasy] XV development to end prematurely (finally?).

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    I'm finding the Job system pretty peculiar. There doesn't seem to be much difference between classes and actual abilities are rare. At level 15 I haven't unlocked any abilities for Balthier or Vaan other than First Aid. Fran (my 3rd) has a lot of spells but never casts any of them due to needing to cast Heal pretty much constantly. The Shikari board in particular is a puzzler as there are a bunch of MP on-hit regen skills, but as far as I can tell he doesn't have any abilities that use MP?

So I'm mainly left with using manual control for Steal (which is how I'm initiating fights at the moment as Gambit's don't seem to be able to handle "stop stealing once you've stolen something") and Potions.

Yeah the main difference between jobs seems to be one of equipment, which is a shame

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    It always was @Javen. I suppose that's why I wasn't that excited for ZA after playing IZJ about a year ago. I wish they built upon this system...and then I remember Xenoblade and Xenoblade 2 exist.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Spaffy wrote: »
    I'm finding the Job system pretty peculiar. There doesn't seem to be much difference between classes and actual abilities are rare. At level 15 I haven't unlocked any abilities for Balthier or Vaan other than First Aid. Fran (my 3rd) has a lot of spells but never casts any of them due to needing to cast Heal pretty much constantly. The Shikari board in particular is a puzzler as there are a bunch of MP on-hit regen skills, but as far as I can tell he doesn't have any abilities that use MP?

So I'm mainly left with using manual control for Steal (which is how I'm initiating fights at the moment as Gambit's don't seem to be able to handle "stop stealing once you've stolen something") and Potions.

Yeah the main difference between jobs seems to be one of equipment, which is a shame

Yeah, turns out I actually prefer the original job board since at least I could give my melee people something to do (before I got the second board, at least)

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    XII is very old school with its melee characters. They use Attack, and you cast buffs on them. This is mostly fine because you're orchestrating a party, not playing a single character. Zodiac Age also makes its melee jobs stronger due to additional Battle Lores and such.

Thanks to Zodiac Age adding a second job per character, early-mid game and beyond everyone will be doing something beyond Attack. Particularly with the Esper unlocks, almost everyone will have some useful spells to cast. The few who won't (probably just 1 of your 6) will certainly have some Break abilities instead, which get judicious use.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Fiesta continues its slow trudge to conclusion. One tablet down in World 3, and a few necessary tasks taken care of: used the Thief Knife to get a set of reflect rings from the Phoenix Tower, spent enough time hunting Stingrays to get a Dragon Whisker, Mighty Guard, and a fully powered Chicken Knife. Might need to go grab some more turtle shells for mixing, but I think I'm well on the way to pulling off at least a Shinryu win.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Yeah it's weird to give a character the Knight class only for them to get Curaga and Esuna. So, my tank is occasionally an OH SHIT healer, I guess.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    Yeah it's weird to give a character the Knight class only for them to get Curaga and Esuna. So, my tank is occasionally an OH SHIT healer, I guess.

It harkens back to Final Fantasy 1.

When the Warrior class is upgraded to Knight, they gain access to limited white magic. This is the origin of the Paladin archetype that would later be fleshed out by Final Fantasy 4.

• Options
    WaveformWaveform Registered User regular
    They give you Shades of Black really early for how good it is. Even on a low magic power character, -ga spells and Scathe hit like a truck when everyone's still in their 20's. It's also a GREAT substitute for telekinesis.

Finally got to Eruyt Village and grabbed Haste, the first actually good Time spell. Up until now Ashe as a Time Battlemage was just another fighter with Cure.

• Options
    Hmmm...has anybody tried playing FFTactics on a regular IPhone 6? Is the screen big enough?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Hmmm...has anybody tried playing FFTactics on a regular IPhone 6? Is the screen big enough?

Big enough, though the touch controls are a little more finicky than ideal. Perfectly playable and a decent enough port. But:

Unless you're planning on going right in and straight through you might want to hold off. Square hasn't updated the game with 64-bit support so it's going to be unplayable when the next iteration of iOS rolls out.

Edit: To be clear, I mean literally unplayable, not just unoptimized.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I still don't understand why we don't have the FF1, 2, and Tactics mobile ports on PC yet, when we have literally everything else.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I would rebuy tactics for the third time if they gave us a spruced up wotl version with the bugs fixed. I'd buy it on literally anything.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Okay but what about if they just released Tactics Ogre LUCT instead

• Options
    edited July 2017
    On my FFV four job fiesta run. Current list, Thief, Summoner, Geomancer.

Today, I did the second half of the Ronka Ruins, and reached the Archeo Aevis boss at the end of it.

When the boss revived, he proved immune to all 3 elements my Summoners can use, plus Wind (the only element my Geomancer can use in Ronka), leaving only my Thief's physical attacks as a viable source of damage (at 180 of its 2500 HP per turn), until those were outright missing entirely. Then I died.

And I forgot to save at the second save point. No progress made tonight. Fuck that boss and fuck this team composition.

Enlong on
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    On my FFV four job fiesta run. Current list, Thief, Summoner, Geomancer.

Today, I did the second half of the Ronka Ruins, and reached the Archeo Aevis boss at the end of it.

When the boss revived, he proved immune to all 3 elements my Summoners can use, plus Wind (the only element my Geomancer can use in Ronka), leaving only my Thief's physical attacks as a viable source of damage (at 180 of its 2500 HP per turn), until those were outright missing entirely. Then I died.

And I forgot to save at the second save point. No progress made tonight. Fuck that boss and fuck this team composition.

IIRC I switched to Chocobo for that phase when I had a summoner-heavy team. Since that targets physical defense instead of magic defense, I think you'll get at least a little damage out of it.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Insanity wrote: »
    Handgimp wrote: »
    I'm just finishing up a straight week of 12+ hour shifts at work, while leaving my party auto-grinding in Henne Mines while I work/sleep. By the time I get home in the morning, I should have 4 level 99 and 2 level 97 characters... just in time to hit Archades and Draklor.

You're going to be disappointed, stuff stops spawning after about 50 kills and you have to move two rooms away to reset it.

Not when you kill it with break. Capped out on levels and LP and 100 million gil.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Oh. I didn't buy Chocobo.

Guess I'll go and do that; being able to continue playing is more valuable than making an ability ill never use (Call) marginally more useful.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    I would rebuy tactics for the third time if they gave us a spruced up wotl version with the bugs fixed. I'd buy it on literally anything.

The slowdown when you cast a spell is painful.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Oh. I didn't buy Chocobo.

Guess I'll go and do that; being able to continue playing is more valuable than making an ability ill never use (Call) marginally more useful.

Sylph is also amazeballs in the early and mid game, but I think Archaeoaevis' MDef is high enough to reduce it to 0 damage

Fry on
  • Options
    Can confirm that Archeoaevis's MDEF eventually gets high enough to 0 out Sylph. I'll just head back to Walse and get Chocobo. I always do get Sylph, because it's so useful early on.

Is there anything left that i would want Remora for?

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Might as well have the tool in your box; lots of bosses in FFV are randomly vulnerable to crippling status effects. I was reminded this Fiesta that Omniscient is vulnerable to Silence of all things. Which was important, because I had no offensive magic of any kind, and that allowed me to bonk him to death with a White Mage and a Spellblade.

Quickly skimming, it looks like one piece of Neo Exdeath is vulnerable to paralyze, as is Omniscient (ha ha, that guy). Also the Gargoyles, but you will be wrecking them pretty hard with summons anyway.

Fry on
  • Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular

Pistols at dawn! Blame yourself or God.

Seriously though, while some of the changes made from the original to WotL sound lovely, between the slowdown and them fixing the JP scroll glitch I don't think I'll ever try it. JP scroll glitch is a godsend for setting up characters on my Nth playthrough.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Ugh, soul cannon is kicking my ass. Wheres a good spot for AP grinding? Figure I should just grab OP mode (Ranger) and be done with it.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    If you can kill/escape Skull eaters, Jachol Cave is pretty good.

What's your team?

• Options
    Historically Soul Cannon has been a snoozefest for me because I always had Summoner. This year I was having an impossible time with Soul Cannon, because I didn't have Summoner and foolishly believed the enemy stats I was looking at, which listed the launchers as having 10k HP, so I was trying to win by ignoring them and it wasn't happening.

Technically they do have that much HP, but they kill themselves after taking only ~800 points of damage, which is much more reasonable to deal out in a timely fashion. Just a matter of doing that while clearing Old status from the missiles so your stats don't get melted to nothing, then healing so you don't die to HP leak from the main gun.

To answer the question about grinding spots: Turtles on the grassland to build up shells in case you roll Chemist are a decent option. Other choices are Skull Eaters in the cave of Jachol, or Bio Soldiers et al outside the cave.

• Options
    edited July 2017

What's your team?

Monk, Spellblade, Ranger.

This I'm given to understand may be sort of OP once it gets going?

Polaritie on
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Spellblade does a lot of great stuff, and Ranger's Rapid Fire is nuts. I don't think you'll need to grind all the way to Rapid Fire for Soul Cannon, but you may burn a pretty significant amount of consumables to not die. Punch those launchers to death!

Fry on
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

What's your team?

Monk, Spellblade, Ranger.

This I'm given to understand may be sort of OP once it gets going?

Indeed. You can get a lot of physical damage by giving Rapid Fire to the Monk and Spellblade, and either Rapid Fire or Barehanded to the Ranger.

For now, I'd say the best strategy for Soul Cannon would be to use two Spellblades, equip your Ranger with Spellblade and a Spellblade-compatible dagger, and use Thundara Sword to attack the Soul Cannon.

• Options
    Yeah. I can't get it to target the launchers sadly, I could delete them fast because lol Thundara sword. Healing is absolutely the problem for me with these jobs. Or magic damage, adamantoise sucked to fight.

• Options
    The launchers aren't vulnerable to anything, so turning on the spellblade before attacking them is a waste of a turn. Should be able to aim regular attacks at them by going up once from the main gun.

If you grind a bunch, you can buy Angel Rings at Istory to block the Old status from the missiles.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Okay but what about if they just released Tactics Ogre LUCT instead

Man at this point I'd accept Knight of Lodis, even though I'm already one of the sixteen people who actually own a legit cart of it on GBA.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Woot, first time ever killing Omega!

7t2ekkeaxv10.png

• Options
    I beat FF8 again a couple of days ago, and killed omega without using a holy war/hero for the first time.

• Options
    I beat FF8 again a couple of days ago, and killed omega without using a holy war/hero for the first time.

But did it involve Zell?

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    TZA is a blast and the QOL improvements vastly improve the game. Fast forward speed is something I desperately want every JRPG to have from now on.

Even more important is the auto saving when switching screens. I had forgotten how fuck huge the areas are in this game (you could also waste an hour going the completely wrong direction). Not having to hoof it to a save crystal is a major stress reliever, as well as the knowledge I won't lose all my progress if I wiped. Still, I do wish the areas and dungeons were around half the size.

I'm still bummed over how good the first 1/3 is: I see all these great cutscenes filled with subtle writing and a growing comraderie with the cast, only to know that it's all gong to disappear real fast.

I think I care about that a lot more than most FFXII fans in light of how much gameplay there is (and fair enough, it's also the reason I can pick it up and enjoy some hunts in under an hour). But to have your characters barely engage with one another or with the things around them (what are even the point of Espers in this game? They seem real important but no one ever even acknowledges them) is a real sour spot for me. Playing Tales of Berseria alongside it further drives my belief that character banter is among the most important elements in a JRPG.

This is also what saved FFXV from its uneven and hastily truncated story. Noctis and his bros have some of the best dialogue and relationships I've ever seen in the franchise, to the point that I legit get teary-eyed at moments like Episode Prompto when
    Noct and Prompto have their awkward apology in the end

FFXV missed the mark of excellence and I'm unsure if all the promised updates will fill all the holes, but it's absolutely worth your time and a good leap towards getting FF back on track.

No matter how many times the same couple of posters say otherwise. Repeatedly.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Also another point that was driven home with Episode Prompto: Boy did they ever pick the wrong female characters to focus their marketing on.

• Options

But did it involve Zell?

It did. I did Selphie/Zell/Squall. I actually beat it twice, because the first time I ended up getting lucky with Selphie and pulling 'the end' from her limit break. I reset afterwards and did it again because it felt like cheating.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »

Some people are already making comparisons to GTA Online, somewhat cynically.

I, meanwhile, would be all over this, if implemented well. Like FF Explorers, only more realized.

Will there be loot drops and micro transactions to get you looking like Cloud or Squall? Most certainly. Will people eat that shit up and beg for more? Most definitely.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Some people are already making comparisons to GTA Online, somewhat cynically.

I, meanwhile, would be all over this, if implemented well. Like FF Explorers, only more realized.

Will there be loot drops and micro transactions to get you looking like Cloud or Squall? Most certainly. Will people eat that shit up and beg for more? Most definitely.

Yeah kinda feels like it'll be like Monster Hunter.