As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tabata out at SQuenix. [Final Fantasy] XV development to end prematurely (finally?).

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    To this day, I have always wanted to get a sound clip of the main character in Rogue Galaxy saying "its poppin up like crazy" which is one of the random quotes when you run around places that have random battles I think. I wanted it as a text message sound.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Also needing to be consigned to the dustbin of history: When you have a total of six members in your party, but experience only accrues to the three "active" members.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    Also needing to be consigned to the dustbin of history: When you have a total of six members in your party, but experience only accrues to the three "active" members.

It is silly.

HOWEVER, I do love when I can banish a character I hate to the bench and laugh at them as they stay horribly under-leveled through the whole game as punishment for being awful.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

Yeah that's old-school. I'm a masochist and kinda miss it though.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular

It's even more annoying as you can tell they realized it was an issue because they still earn license points.

• Options
    never die wrote: »

It's even more annoying as you can tell they realized it was an issue because they still earn license points.

And it's especially egregious when the game will from time to time force you to include specific characters in your party.

• Options

And it's especially egregious when the game will from time to time force you to include specific characters in your party.

That reminds me of a time when I played Breath of Fire 2 for the SNES. You get a monkey character (name starts with an S I think) and I never used him... Until there's a section where he's in the party by himself and since I never used him I couldn't get past that part. Ugh..

Started over and leveled him and life was good. Of course if something like that happened today I'd be pissed but back then I had all the free time in the world on my summer vacation.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Separate levels are a hold-over from really old D&D (2E and before) where characters being of different levels is expected because level alone didn't really communicate your overall power. Pulling numbers out of the ether, but a 6th level Magic-User might be roughly equivalent to a 9th level Fighter, for instance. They even had separate experience tables for every class.

Of course those games were also intended for every character to be hyper-specialized to take on different situations, such as the Thief handling the traps and hidden things and the Fighter doing most of the rote killing of things. Also it's an ancient design when all these concepts were new and no one knew what was good or bad yet.

Modern games just need to have a single party level number and be done with it, with precious few exceptions (like say FF4 where you couldn't control your party makeup and a character's level is part of the designed challenge, such as Tellah being a high level when you first get him and leaning on him to clear areas, or Rydia being level 1 because she's a little girl, but she quickly grows in power under the guidance and tutelage of Cecil and Tellah - something the player has to explicitly deal with in those early combats).

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    the other idea would be to try and balance the game around having more than 3 active people in your party...you know like some of the old games did. i have 4 heroes and i have 4 party members, what a coincidence.

• Options
    WaveformWaveform Registered User regular

Thankfully, that's limited to the beginning of the game. Once a party member joins "for real" they stay in the group forever. For example, once I had 4 permanent party members Vaan got benched for life.

Narratively the entire group of 6 travels as a unit. But for technical and game play reasons only 3 are actively fighting.

Still, it's better just to give full xp to everyone. Forcing me to grind XP for benched characters does NOT encourage experimentation with different classes. I'm thinking about just doing a 2nd playthrough for that.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular

Golden Amulets work for giving inactive party members double LP. Embroidered Tippets should have least given normal XP to inactive party members...

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    korodullin wrote: »
    Rogue Galaxy is the most Star Warsiest.

How is that anyway? I have that on PS4 but haven't gotten around to poking at it yet.

I mostly remember feeling like it was a lot like FFXII, but not nearly as good. Level 5 is, IMO, an incredibly inconsistent dev.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    Alright, first run of TZA is complete. Did all the hunts available up to Pharos unlocking, but after I finished that dungeon I just went and beat the game.

Team comp:

Basch - Knight/Bushi. Ultimate physical DPS, especially when you get a Genji Glove. Crushes Undead with Excalibur + White Robes. Downsides: totally 1 dimensional, and damage against fliers is terrible. In my opinion this combo is slightly over-rated.

Fran - Monk/Black Mage. Monk health bonuses are OP early game, and by end game you have a BM with tons of HP, half of the best WM spells, and the physical breaks. A legitimately amazing combo.

Ashe - White/Time Mage. Strong on paper but this combo has too much to do and not enough time, MP, and Gambit slots to do them in. MP is a huge issue because this combo can't regain much MP by dealing damage.

Overall I am very happy with the experience, so much that I'm starting a 2nd play through to try out different jobs.

2nd run team comp:

Balthier - Uhlan/Time Mage. Holy Lance is way easier to get than Excalibur, and Zodiac Spear is super strong. Pairing with Time Mage for the 3 Swiftness and to give Uhlan a share of buff duties.

Fran - Red Mage/Archer. Dark is OP early game (it's the only tier 1 AOE attack magic). Archer provides a ton of Lore licenses, Swiftness, and the magic breaks. Burning Bow + Ardor combo. Can equip Heavy Armor and Greatswords with the right Espers.

Ashe - Foebreaker/White Mage. The axe-paladin. A WM that can deal damage and deliver all 4 breaks.

Other thoughts:

-Time Mage feels mandatory because they are the ONLY job to get the (Berserk, Float) license. Berserk at least comes on an accessory, but parts the game would just be unplayable without Float.
    -Side content is challenging if tackled as soon as it becomes available. Counterpoint - the levels and gear from side content makes the main story trivial.
    -Trial Mode gives a TON of LP. Avoid it if you want an organic experience. For example, doing three 1-50 runs (for Ribbons) in Trial Mode got me enough LP to unlock every license.

• Options
    Float also has an accessory, plus another that just ignores traps. There are cheap items that can give you berserk.

But Time Battlemage is a really rad job you should basically always have, yeah.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    I have to admit: I still don't fully grok this whole "MIST" thing -- I cast one of the attacks, I see an animation and a timer, I might see an option to do something with a different character, but it doesn't seem to explain exactly what I'm supposed to be doing to actually land hits or whatever.

• Options
    Quickening attacks take 1, 2, or 3 mist charges. You get 1 charge on a character each time you unlock a new Quickening.

Once you start a Quickening chain by selecting a character and ability to use, you get a timer and sub-menu. You have until the timer expires to land as many Quickenings as you can.

Each character gets a random option available from their set of unlocked Quickenings as well as a Mist Charge. If the character lacks charges for the option available, it'll be blacked out and you can't select it. If it's available, the chain will continue with that character's attack, and they'll lose the corresponding amount of Mist Charges.

If you select the Mist Charge option on a character, it'll refill them to max charges and shuffle. The timer will continue, but after shuffling you'll be guaranteed to be able to use that character's option (because they'll now have full charges).

You can also manually shuffle with R2 I believe, which you should do if no options are usable.

• Options
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Quickening attacks take 1, 2, or 3 mist charges. You get 1 charge on a character each time you unlock a new Quickening.

Once you start a Quickening chain by selecting a character and ability to use, you get a timer and sub-menu. You have until the timer expires to land as many Quickenings as you can.

Each character gets a random option available from their set of unlocked Quickenings as well as a Mist Charge. If the character lacks charges for the option available, it'll be blacked out and you can't select it. If it's available, the chain will continue with that character's attack, and they'll lose the corresponding amount of Mist Charges.

If you select the Mist Charge option on a character, it'll refill them to max charges and shuffle. The timer will continue, but after shuffling you'll be guaranteed to be able to use that character's option (because they'll now have full charges).

You can also manually shuffle with R2 I believe, which you should do if no options are usable.

Thanks!

• Options
    The Sauce wrote: »

On top of this, and it might not seem obvious at first glance, but you want to go for the quickest option. Don't try and shuffle to mist charge everyone all the time, swing when you get it. The time you spend on the earlier parts of the quickening affect the amount of time in the later parts of the chain. I usually do go for a mist charge in the list if there is an option for a mist charge and an attack, just to charge up that character and swing. I've managed to get up to a chain of 19 by doing that. The more chains you get, the more damage you do, and the more likely you are to do enough of the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd level quickenings to trigger the more powerful finishers.

Quickenings also work off of multipliers and the characters attack score (I think), as well as the strength of the quickenings. It is a formula with some variables and random selection of multipliers, so the amount of damage you do can vary some, but overall the more chaining you can do with different types of quickenings the more damage you'll do. I recommend practicing it, as if you get good at it, you can do things like take on the earlier hunts or espers while not being as highly leveled for it as you should. My first epser was Adrammelech, which you really shouldn't be able to get before Belias, and it was all due to quickenings. It should be said some of the higher level espers this doesn't work as well with, but still a useful strategy.

Speaking of, I beat Ultima tonight, meaning the only espers I have left are the two left to get through the story. That was a fun fight, and I was not expecting to beat her first try, though I do feel like I peaked around Exodus and was able to take them on the first try. Ultima's most obnoxious stuff is coutnered if you can absorb holy magic, and Ashe having Darkga meant I was hitting Ultima for around 8-13k damage per hit, while Vaan ran around casting Cura and bubble, and Basch smashed shit.

The dungeon Ultima is found in can go die in a ditch though, that was obnoxious as shit (though once again probably made worse by me not having full magicks yet due to plot advancement, as I didn't even have cleanse yet and therefore disease was horrible). I 100% understand why teenage Never Die looked at the craziness of that dungeon and decided it wasn't worth doing it to say I beat all 12 espers. A whole dungeon full of annoying teleportation puzzles, no save point until the very end, enemies that teleport across the maps, agro bomb enemies, and enemies that spam disable, sleep, sap, and disease is just an exercise in tedium.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    http://www.siliconera.com/2017/08/18/dissidia-final-fantasy-nt-launches-january-30-north-america-limited-editions/

Yooo, I want that WoL bust.

But....a season pass for additional characters? I thought they said all characters added from the arcade version would be free. Unless they mean console exclusive characters.

Watch them not tell you who those six characters are in advance (and then lock a couple of the really popular ones behind it).

The closed beta also starts 8/25.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I find it amusing how the Warrior of Light from FF1 has developed this whole persona outside of the game. The Fighter/Warrior character looks nothing like that in FF1. Where does that Warrior of Light look originate from?

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I find it amusing how the Warrior of Light from FF1 has developed this whole persona outside of the game. The Fighter/Warrior character looks nothing like that in FF1. Where does that Warrior of Light look originate from?

Yoshitaka Amano's artwork for the games.

20bd69dd76c253b00441b37ebd469965.jpg

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

His redesign first appeared in a game with the Final Fantasy Origins remake of FF1 for the Playstation, I believe(FMV-specific). As far as I've been able to tell it's based on earlier concept artwork that Amano had drawn, and he didn't become a character in his own right until they had to figure out what to represent FF1 for Dissidia.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    At least in this version you can get multiple ribbons relatively easy. That really helps work status dealing enemies.

I did the trickster fight last night which took me 4 tries. It was not until the 4th try I realized that while my characters were attacking at 4x,the timer for his damn immune spell was running on standard time. Made that fight so much easier when I realized to slow the game down to normal.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options

Yoshitaka Amano's artwork for the games.

20bd69dd76c253b00441b37ebd469965.jpg

Yep, he was basically "box art character who wasn't in the actual game".

I love how he's portrayed as the Captain America of FF, the dude everyone rallied behind.

Which is why I'm tempted to keep my current pre-order of the CE. That statue is ace.

• Options
    furlion wrote: »
    At least in this version you can get multiple ribbons relatively easy. That really helps work status dealing enemies.

I did the trickster fight last night which took me 4 tries. It was not until the 4th try I realized that while my characters were attacking at 4x,the timer for his damn immune spell was running on standard time. Made that fight so much easier when I realized to slow the game down to normal.

All of those enemy immunity abilities are awful and should have been changed for TZA. It's such a lazy way to discourage one type of damage. And don't forget "Perfect Defense," which just makes the boss immune to everything for a minute straight, ugh.

Related - Quickenings are physical damage, and will do nothing against a boss with physical immunity up.

Also related - the Battle Speed option is a huge misnomer. It ONLY affects one thing - charge times. And there are many other combat variables that matter, which this option ignores:

-Animation times
    -The "Stun" time after completing any action
    -Buff and debuff timers

Just like with Trickster and his immunity ability, if you get the feeling a boss is getting to do "too much" compared to your team, try changing Battle Speed to Slowest.
    Likewise, once you have Berserk and/or Haste going, Slowest battle speed will magnify the effect of those buffs.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    So, I'd beaten Zodiak once before and I guess I forgot how I did it. After smashing myself against that wall of him throwing up Magick and Physical Palings while casting Darkja over and over in a neverending death spiral, I took a step back. Then I was reminded of the quirkiness of this ass.
    Don't give everyone dark absorbing gear. If you do, it doubles the % of times he'll cast Darkja. Also, berserk two guys, one with Holy Robes and Excalibur and just burn his ass down as fast as you can. The longer the fight is, the harder it gets. At the end, I was tossing Scathe motes like I wanted to stone a heretic.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/aFmoza-DDEk

I want this to get localized so bad.

Also hoping for a console/PC version. From the footage I've seen it would scale up totally fine.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    So, I'd beaten Zodiak once before and I guess I forgot how I did it. After smashing myself against that wall of him throwing up Magick and Physical Palings while casting Darkja over and over in a neverending death spiral, I took a step back. Then I was reminded of the quirkiness of this ass.
    Don't give everyone dark absorbing gear. If you do, it doubles the % of times he'll cast Darkja. Also, berserk two guys, one with Holy Robes and Excalibur and just burn his ass down as fast as you can. The longer the fight is, the harder it gets. At the end, I was tossing Scathe motes like I wanted to stone a heretic.

Wouldn't more Darkjas be a good thing if you absorb dark?

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Darkja also comes with a chance to instant KO. The one bad status you cannot do anything about!

Another tip for Zodiark: As soon as you see the combat message about him using "Shift," unleash your Quickenings. It's the last thing he does before putting up the Paling. I had a good chain and was able to finish him off right there.

Waveform on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Yeah Darkja has a 50% instant KO that is only mitigated to like 25% with Shell. The healing Dark does, which is like 6-9K, is irrelevant if he insta-wipes your party.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Motherfuck I forgot about Zodiark....I don't think I'll fight him, I think I want to finish the game and be done with it. Not that I haven't enjoyed it, but there's so many other games I want to play.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I keep waiting to see gatdamn Noctis in Dissidia, hoping he's not going to be one of the 6 DLC characters

• Options
    I just wanted started FFXII HD and I am having an issue running. Vaan keeps running two steps then walks, then runs a few more, etc. It's really frustrating. Is this normal? If so I don't know if I can play this game...

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I just wanted started FFXII HD and I am having an issue running. Vaan keeps running two steps then walks, then runs a few more, etc. It's really frustrating. Is this normal? If so I don't know if I can play this game...

never experienced that, wonder if some download is going on or something that's causing what sounds like rubber banding. there is a trigger button to run/walk, make sure it's not stuck? (one of the bumpers i think)

• Options
    Pailryder wrote: »

never experienced that, wonder if some download is going on or something that's causing what sounds like rubber banding. there is a trigger button to run/walk, make sure it's not stuck? (one of the bumpers i think)
    I'll try a new controller real quick and see if I can replicate.

• Options
    Sigh... Yea it looks like my controller. Awesome. I'm glad it wasn't the game I guess...

• Options
    Tairu wrote: »
    I keep waiting to see gatdamn Noctis in Dissidia, hoping he's not going to be one of the 6 DLC characters

After giving it some thought, I'm hoping that the DLC characters are unorthodox choices, or even characters from non-FF games. It would suck if they locked popular characters behind a paywall, so using it to go creative would be the best outcome.

In other words, I want 2B as a DLC character.

• Options
    Sigh... Yea it looks like my controller. Awesome. I'm glad it wasn't the game I guess...

Okay so the old controller definitely doesn't work in FFXII HD but it works fine in Fortnite. Weird.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Release Noctis, and then make some Final Fantasy Dimensions characters as DLC.

I want a team with Noct and Nacht.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Hey - trial mode game save question:

This is what it says on the FF wikia:
    There are 100 stages within the Trial Mode. After completing each 10th stage, the player can save their progress and receive a reward.

In the International Zodiac Job System version, Trial Mode saves and Game Data saves are meant to be separated, because if the Game Data is overwritten by the Trial Mode save, the Game Data will be lost.

In The Zodiac Age version, players can save Trial Mode data to their main game save and receive items, but overwriting that save with a main game save will erase the Trial Mode progress. It is possible to farm items from the Trial Mode. For example, if the player wants Ribbons from floor 49, they should steal one, beat the floor, and go to the next one. At floor 50, the player should exit back to the title screen, load their game save to lose the trial progress (the player keeps the Ribbon). The player can save their game, return to the title screen, and try the Trial Mode again from floor 49.

This is incorrect, right? I mean you can't just farm ribbons this way. If I load my game as a main save it resets back to level 1...right? Or am I missing something?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar