As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tabata out at SQuenix. [Final Fantasy] XV development to end prematurely (finally?).

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Doesn't the serpentskin thing just get you a shop buyable accessory anyway? I mean granted there's no reason to sell the serpentskin, but it's also not the end of the world if you do.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    How do the bazaar items work? Is it cumulative? Can I sell the individual components to one item over the course of a long time and once I sell the last one it'll show up?

Or do I have to selll them all in the same instance of selling?

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    It's cumulative, but the ingredient used resets all the way to zero when you buy a thing. So you don't want to sell too much at once.

Speaking of items, there are invisible, randomly spawning chests with randomised contents. Have fucking fun.

PLA on
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    The way it works is pretty dumb. IIRC it works like this: you can sell them over the course of time. As you sell them they get thrown onto an invisible stack, once the items for a particular bazaar good have been sold, all the items that bazaar good uses are exhausted. IE: let's say there is an item made with 5 potato eyes and 5 wolf fangs, and another with 5 walrus assholes and 5 wolf fangs. You sell 100 wolf fangs and 5 potato eyes, the first item goes on the market. If you want the second item, you need to sell 5 walrus assholes and 5 more wolf fangs, because even though you sold 100 of them earlier all 100 were consumed to make the first item.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Viskod wrote: »
    How do the bazaar items work? Is it cumulative? Can I sell the individual components to one item over the course of a long time and once I sell the last one it'll show up?

Or do I have to selll them all in the same instance of selling?

Let's say item A calls for 2 rats feet, 2 wolf pelts, and an iron orb (I'm making all of these items up)

Item B calls for just 2 rats feet and 2 wolf pelts

If you sell the rats feet and wolf pelts, so that item B shows up in the bazaar, and then buy it, those rats feet and wolf pelts will no longer contribute to the items required for item A to show up. You'd need to sell 2 more rats feet and wolf pelts.

But if you sell 2 rats feet, 2 wolf pelts and an iron orb all at the same time, so item A shows up, item B will ALSO show up, because you met the criteria for both items, but any other items that require those loot items will be back at 0

You can sell rats feet, wolf pelts and iron orbs all in separate transactions to get the items to show up, it's the purchasing from the bazaar that depletes your count. The game actually remembers the total quantity you've sold, so if an item requires 30 of something, you can accrue those 30 at any pace you like, and the game will trigger the appropriate item once the conditions have been met.

Javen on
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Oh god. That's so annoying.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    So, if you sell 30 rat feet and 30 wolf pelts, and then buy an item requiring 2 of each, the bazaar still depletes your count of each to 0?

• MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Enlong wrote: »
    So, if you sell 30 rat feet and 30 wolf pelts, and then buy an item requiring 2 of each, the bazaar still depletes your count of each to 0?

Correct. It is a super frustrating system.

However, it can work to your advantage. Especially for some of the tournesol bazaar items where multiple "recipes" require High Arcana because it doesn't deplete until you leave the bazaar.

Muffinatron on
    PSN: Holy-Promethium

I could be wrong, but that's what I got out of the read from the FAQ that was posted yesterday, yeah. So the most efficient way to do it seems to be, to figure out all the items and their quantities beforehand, based on what you're shooting for, and hand them in all at once. Or, at the very least, figure out what items require the rare materials, and hand everything in that you need, before buying anything.

Well, for walrus assholes and wolf pelts it doesn't really matter because you're going to have so many walrus assholes you'll be swimming in them. For rare items it's a good idea to look up what they're used for ahead of time though.

"Think of her as a guest. I daresay she won't be taking orders from anyone anytime soon, and she'll leave when she pleases."
    "Cool. Let me just rearrange her gambits and order her to cast Cure on Fran real quick."

I think Vaan would be a fine character if he were just a plucky street-urchin who wants to tag along.

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    One would think an 18-hit Mist combo would one-shot the
    first demon wall
    but I guess one would be wrong!
    WpQJVh7.jpg

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    Quickenings still look like hot garbage. An animator probably had to do all the work himself, and submit them without any input or editorial oversight.
    It's just a big pile of special effects and filters, and a couple of random cuts and star-wipes.

Jesus fucking christ, Penelo. Don't quit your day-job.

• InsanityInsanity Registered User regular

Correct. It is a super frustrating system.

However, it can work to your advantage. Especially for some of the tournesol bazaar items where multiple "recipes" require High Arcana because it doesn't deplete until you leave the bazaar.

Yeah, while the system is dumb as hell it will save you more time than it costs you in the long run by a mile.

gBpkw.jpg
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Finally got to play today. Got about an hour in, did the first hunt (the tomato) and watched a long cutscene with a speech from a handsome nobleman who will, I'm sure, turn out to be the bad guy.

So far the writing in this seems... pretty good? Like the characters say things an actual English-speaker would say, make sense, and do not spout canned expressions typical of their archetype like in XV. They also don't speak like characters from a children's book, which is unusual for a FF game. The VA however is hot garbage and the quality is terrible, 75% of the lines sound like they were not even recorded in a studio.

The story actually makes sense, although it took me a while to figure out the guy you control in the tutorial is not the same guy as your actual character (for quite a while I thought the prologue was some kind of flash forward).

I haven't even got a party yet so I'm reserving judgement but so far "Select Attack and wait" has not been an engaging combat mechanic. I hope I get more active stuff to do in combat - I am looking forward to getting gambits. The licence board system seems kind of convoluted but the variety of classes (and each character gets two?) pleases me.

All in all I'm pretty pleased that I don't hate it as I swing wildly with my opinions of FF games (I tend to take a very dim view of the "Japanese" style of video game storytelling, with some exceptions) and with how interesting the Gambit system seems I really hope I get into this one. Mainly it feels quite relaxing to play which I like, and it also ends up being absorbing I imagine I'll sink a lot of hours into it.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I got curious and looked it up: they removed the insane requirements to get the zodiac spear. I'm almost disappointed :-P

Do t worry, it's not the best weapon anymore and they put other, even worse requirements to get the new best weapons

And now I'm curious. Is it worse than "speed run so you miss a bunch of other stuff" to get Excalibur II in IX?

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Quickenings still look like hot garbage. An animator probably had to do all the work himself, and submit them without any input or editorial oversight.
    It's just a big pile of special effects and filters, and a couple of random cuts and star-wipes.

Jesus fucking christ, Penelo. Don't quit your day-job.

It's even worse when you realize that Ashe's Quickenings are named after Agrias's Holy Sword skills.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    Jragghen wrote: »
    And now I'm curious. Is it worse than "speed run so you miss a bunch of other stuff" to get Excalibur II in IX?

It's 'they're random contents of chests that have a minuscule chance of low percentage of being there. Also the chests themselves have a low chance of even spawning. Also the chests are invisible.

Like, I think the chests have a 1% chance of spawning, with the weapons having a 1% chance of being in there if they do spawn. And. Again, the chests are invisible

Okay, yeah, that's bad. But I'll never get over how absurd it was to have "whoops, you opened one of four specific chests earlier in the game. Now you're prevented from getting the best weapon. Also this isn't mentioned anywhere in the game."

Javen wrote: »
    Like, I think the chests have a 1% chance of spawning, with the weapons having a 1% chance of being in there if they do spawn. And. Again, the chests are invisible

Are you talking about the invisible chests with the 255 attack power weapons, like the one on the airships? If so, I don't think those are meant to be "legit" weapons and were leftovers from testing.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    As a developer the Gambit system is my favorite thing about FF12.

I remember thinking "Finally! That C++ course I took in high school where I learned about if-then statements pays off!"

How good is the Gambit system If you can't use reflection to become another class entirely

Grape Ape wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    As a developer the Gambit system is my favorite thing about FF12.

I remember thinking "Finally! That C++ course I took in high school where I learned about if-then statements pays off!"

How good is the Gambit system If you can't use reflection to become another class entirely

Boo.

Finally got around to finishing off Raithwall's tomb and set my second jobs and now I've got a whole lot of choices on what to do.

Do I grind up the shed load of LP I need to round out my jobs? Do I start hunting more Espers? Do I start down the rabbit hole of farming up high end weapons? I'm spoiled for choice...

I guess I could continue the story too, I suppose.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Just started this for the first time. Hoo boy what have I gotten in to? I've killed that tomato... thing. That's as far as I've gotten in 2 hours or so. Mostly just wandering around pressing X on everything. I picked Vaan's class and tooled around a bit with the license board. I'm already a little overwhelmed with the one license board to worry about.

So here's something I don't get. Vaan can Steal but I don't see that on his license board. How the heck does that work?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Just started this for the first time. Hoo boy what have I gotten in to? I've killed that tomato... thing. That's as far as I've gotten in 2 hours or so. Mostly just wandering around pressing X on everything. I picked Vaan's class and tooled around a bit with the license board. I'm already a little overwhelmed with the one license board to worry about.

So here's something I don't get. Vaan can Steal but I don't see that on his license board. How the heck does that work?

It's just something he starts with. The various characters start with certain abilities and equipments. Penelo starts with Cure, and Balthier with First Aid, for example. They only show up on their boards if you pick a job that actually has those licenses.

• DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    I wonder if the Negalmuur infinite XP/LP trick still works...

edited July 2017
    Seitengrat is 100 % a debug-weapon. Gendarme really just toggles invincibility for any character.

Wow, esper-bypassing actually works? https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/191202-final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age/75416700

PLA on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's one of the reasons I went Monk/Black Mage, it allows you to get the third Swiftness without an Esper

edited July 2017
    Monk and Black Mage complement eachother almost perfectly. It's such a stark divide of the board.

Not sure if I want Machinist/White Mage or Machinist/Breaker. The latter would really just be for running around hitting my party-turrets with a wrench. Which White Mage wouldn't have any reason to do. It's Angel Summoner and BMX Bandit.

PLA on
    Got the Gambit shop unlocked and AHAHAHA LOOK AT THESE OPTIONS. There's so much I could do with gambits now. I made a point to grab every "enemy weak to [x]" option. That should be lots of fun once I get Black Mage or give Fran Red Mage. How many gambit slots do you eventually get?

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I finished FFXV over the weekend and absolutely loved it. Obviously the tonal shift was the hardest part for me to overcome but I loved how visceral the combat felt and I really liked the aged protagonists. Plus Prompto was one of my favorites.

It might not be my favorite FF game but it is certainly better than 9 in my eyes.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Switched gears and started Horizon: Event Dawn before jumping into FFXII, just so I don't get burned out on the FF formula.

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Got the Gambit shop unlocked and AHAHAHA LOOK AT THESE OPTIONS. There's so much I could do with gambits now. I made a point to grab every "enemy weak to [x]" option. That should be lots of fun once I get Black Mage or give Fran Red Mage. How many gambit slots do you eventually get?
    Twelve per character.
    korodullin wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »

Are you talking about the invisible chests with the 255 attack power weapons, like the one on the airships? If so, I don't think those are meant to be "legit" weapons and were leftovers from testing.
    Pretty much. They were left in because the director(?) is really into mountain-climbing and gave all these names related to that hobby to try to encourage people to look them up and see what it was all about.

You are not, repeat, not expected to actually collect or use any of the invisible chest gear. They don't even have models, so your characters wield "invisible" weapons when you use them. And yes they completely break the game. It's like inputting a cheat code or using a debug menu.

Could be useful for NG- except why bother doing NG- if you're just going to cheese it with that gear (maybe NG- blocks their spawn?).

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
    Could be useful for Strong Mode, when you want to make a point.

12 per, eh? Neat. That should be plenty for me to give Fran a Gambit set where she uses Achilles until the enemy has a weakness she can exploit, and then starts casting the relevant spell.

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    And for stronger enemies:

Achilles + Oil + Burning Bow + fire spells

The proper gambit structure for that is a little less obvious since you can't directly have multiple conditions for a gambit, but you can manage it with gambit order and additional slots

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting